Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I was just told I can't take a half day on Friday to get a haircut because we are so short staffed and 'this is a critical time.' We've been at a "critical time" for months and retaining people like a sieve retains water.
So I asked if I could take a half day to go to the dentist and they said that was fine. What in the gently caress? Why should it matter what I want to use my 4 hours for? No loving wonder we can't hang onto people or staff or humans or resources or whatever you crazy kids are calling them these days.

Anywho, I explained it was a problem because I'm about to hit my cap on comp time and if I don't use some I'll basically just be working for free.
Their solution? Increase the cap on my comp time.
I'm not so sure that's the best idea seeing as how I can't even use the time I've got now, but okay whatever.
When you quit, vacation and comp time both pay out at 100% Sick leave only pays out at 25%. My wife is due in August I'll burn through my 250 hours sick leave when this baby is born.
I've got every former IT employee that worked with me throwing applications at me trying to poach me. I think I might print them and start "accidentally" leaving them around the office.

Why not just actually get another job after the baby is born? Sounds like you got plenty of leads to go on from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vargatron posted:

Why not just actually get another job after the baby is born? Sounds like you got plenty of leads to go on from.

Yeah this seems like the solid choice. 2 weeks after the baby is born doesn't mean there's nothing left to do, there are still a ton of doctors appointments and sickness and time you want to spend with your family. If work won't let you take your leave as you see fit, find another job that will be glad to give you a half day out of your comp time to visit the zoo or whatever the gently caress.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

It's called the bootloop issue and it affects a bunch of LG phones, but the 5x seems to be especially problematic. http://bgr.com/2018/02/01/lg-nexus-5x-bootloop-class-action-settlement/
I've had to replace the 5X once because of that. Between google's cloud and Dropbox I don't really keep any data on the phone that isn't also elsewhere, so I'll use it until it dies and then get a replacement.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

What is it with IT and short names for servers. Two corporations I've worked for now, billion dollar companies both, and it's like we're paying by the letter for server names.
I get doing a 3 character short name for location - EDM Edmonton, VAN Vancouver etc - but nothing is stopping you from calling it VAN-BackupSAN01 rather than VANB1. How is that better?
New job literally has EDMA1, EDMB1, EDMC1. App, backup, ...?

With tab completion and such I guess I just don't understand the point.

When I arrived at this company a lot of the servers were named after Battlestar Galatica ships.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My first job had all their servers named after Disney characters so you had to remember that Mickey was the email server and Goofy was the file server and Chip and Dale were the two DNS servers and so on..

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Looks slick. What's the cost per endpoint per year? Not that I'm super interested, but I like knowing costs.

I don't have info on list prices for all geographies yet but I can get back to you later on that.

Anyway, the site isn't very good. I recommend watching this video from 13:00 onwards (and it's 2 years old, there's much more in now):

https://youtu.be/vb0z5W9SK1I?t=800

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Collateral Damage posted:

My first job had all their servers named after Disney characters so you had to remember that Mickey was the email server and Goofy was the file server and Chip and Dale were the two DNS servers and so on..

It's cute, but that drives me nuts. WHAT DO THEY DO?!? Sure, the guys that set it up know, but new employees and contractors certainly don't.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MANime in the sheets posted:

It's cute, but that drives me nuts. WHAT DO THEY DO?!? Sure, the guys that set it up know, but new employees and contractors certainly don't.

Well you see you just keep a spreadsheet that has all this information but never update it or have somebody randomly rename servers!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Security though delightful obscurity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Security though delightful obscurity.

20+ years later I still remember that redfish was the NNTP server at an ISP startup I worked at. onefish and twofish were DNS. I can't for the life of me remember what bluefish was.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

To be fair you kind of need an inventory anyway.

At my current gig they just use a forever incrementing number and OS, like 0123-Win2008, 0156-Win2012, 0105-Ubuntu etc.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

20+ years later I still remember that redfish was the NNTP server at an ISP startup I worked at. onefish and twofish were DNS. I can't for the life of me remember what bluefish was.

The ISP i worked for years ago has Merriam and Webster as the DNS Servers. It was good for a chuckle and didn't really make it hard to remember what they did.

Another place had their Exchange servers named Athos, Porthos and Aramis. That was very much less amusing after they went beyond 3 Exchange servers and had a hard time sticking to the theme and remaining easy to spell.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Next place I get to name servers at I'm using Sopranos characters.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kashuno posted:

When I arrived at this company a lot of the servers were named after Battlestar Galatica ships.

Yeah my first job the original admin had named everything after Transformers. Which is like, cool and stuff, cause huge robots shaped like trucks and dinosaurs and boomboxes blowing stuff up owns. But when I get paged that Starscream is down at 3AM, do I need to care or just roll over and go back to sleep? :shrug:

Have goofy rear end CNAMEs for all your stuff if you want, I guess, but give it some kind of helpful name for all primary uses please.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Next place I get to name servers at I'm using Sopranos characters.

I get it that Christopher is the server that's always loving up, but what is Big Pussy? A poorly patched firewall perhaps?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get it that Christopher is the server that's always loving up, but what is Big Pussy? A poorly patched firewall perhaps?

It's a firewall with a govt backdoor.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Help, it seems that DONOTRESTART is stuck in a permanent restart loop!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We had a big giant healthcare client that named all their email servers after sports cars
Corvette, Viper, etc

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

It's a firewall with a govt backdoor.

Adriana is the server that you're planning to decommission real soon.

I've been looking for a new naming scheme for my home network, thanks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Adriana is the server that you're planning to decommission real soon.

I've been looking for a new naming scheme for my home network, thanks.

Any wireless repeaters get named Paulie.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Our internal servers used to be named after simpsons characters, smithers and mrburns were our DCs and I feel our exchange server was aptly named Bart because man was that server an rear end in a top hat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I was just told I can't take a half day on Friday to get a haircut because we are so short staffed and 'this is a critical time.' We've been at a "critical time" for months and retaining people like a sieve retains water.
So I asked if I could take a half day to go to the dentist and they said that was fine. What in the gently caress? Why should it matter what I want to use my 4 hours for? No loving wonder we can't hang onto people or staff or humans or resources or whatever you crazy kids are calling them these days.

Anywho, I explained it was a problem because I'm about to hit my cap on comp time and if I don't use some I'll basically just be working for free.
Their solution? Increase the cap on my comp time.
I'm not so sure that's the best idea seeing as how I can't even use the time I've got now, but okay whatever.
When you quit, vacation and comp time both pay out at 100% Sick leave only pays out at 25%. My wife is due in August I'll burn through my 250 hours sick leave when this baby is born.
I've got every former IT employee that worked with me throwing applications at me trying to poach me. I think I might print them and start "accidentally" leaving them around the office.

If an employee asked to take a half day to get a hair cut I would roll my eyes as well. If you have a ton of comp time to use just say you need to take a half day and if they ask why just say its private.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't really ever say why I'm asking for time off unless it is pushed back on or something. Same with if something comes up and I need to WFH for a day.

"I'm looking to take off x-y, if that is an issue please let me know so we can discuss"
"I'm going to have to WFH today, I am available 8-5 on Teams or cell"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like cute names because i really wanna refer to AldDC1 as chip and AldDC2 as dale because the UK has too many towns starting with the same three letters.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Equinix Service Desk posted:

Hello Hawk,

This is regarding your Inbound Shipment 1-24817159501823. Our site provided an update, that your package has been delivered to the cage, and they were not able to open the cabinet.

Kindly advise on how you would like us to proceed.

Sincerely,
Horse Fucker
Service Desk – North America

EQUINIX

Equinix is to date the only people to ever see/touch/interact with this cabinet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

If an employee asked to take a half day to get a hair cut I would roll my eyes as well. If you have a ton of comp time to use just say you need to take a half day and if they ask why just say its private.

I would roll my eyes as well, but if it is comp time that they have banked then it's comp time. Do whatever you want with it.

On server naming, I hate the cutesy names. I get that there's no perfect way to name a server and you can argue about it to time's end, but what isn't the correct way is some random cutesy bullshit.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If you name your servers anything that isn't completely utilitarian and can be parsed by config management to make decisions if necessary you're doing it wrong.

role-location-environment-incrementing_digit

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Methanar posted:

If you name your servers anything that isn't completely utilitarian and can be parsed by config management to make decisions if necessary you're doing it wrong.

role-location-environment-incrementing_digit

Look at this schlub including logical information in a physical asset name. Globally unique location name and hardware SKU ID is all we get. (So our big routers are named the same as our general purpose bulk purchase servers.)

Equinix got back to me!

h110hawk posted:

Without a picture I don’t know if a pry bar or Sawzall would be more appropriate.

Equinix Service Desk posted:

Please be advised that we have an option to raise a Smart Hands ticket to provide you the required picture. Kindly confirm on how would you like to proceed.

I love paying a premium for Equinix!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We pay millions for one department of Cisco to call us and ask us to troubleshoot a part of our network that another part of Cisco manages. The palpable disappointment in their voices when they realize they have to call Cisco makes me question if we're overpaying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Okta making GBS threads on anyone else at the moment?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yep. Only our home page though, which is weird. We can reach any other sites on our intranet.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Collateral Damage posted:

All of our servers are named after trees. Trying to remember how to *spell* half of them is just as hard as remembering what they do.

But as I upgrade them, I'm naming them for function.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I asked a manager I was interviewing with if they do comp time. The quick reply was no, that's what the money's for, and I'm not looking for someone who's just here to punch the clock. Those two statements seem contradictory to me, if you want someone who'll stay late when they need to there should be some way to offset that when the work is done. I don't mind putting in an extra 2,3,4 hours to finish up something difficult so I don't forget what I was doing overnight, but not if I get nothing for it.

Still considering it though. I looked at how many hours his current employees are clocking and most of them are right at 8 hours every day (currently I'm working closer to 7.5), plus their oncall doesn't seem that bad (compared to mine) and it'd give me experience and training in a field I've been looking to move into.

PBS fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 18, 2018

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

PBS posted:

I asked a manager I was interviewing with if they do comp time. The quick reply was no, that's what the money's for, and I'm not looking for someone who's just here to punch the clock. Those two statements seem contradictory to me, if you want someone who'll stay late when they need to there should be some way to offset that when the work is done. I don't mind putting in an extra 2,3,4 hours to finish up something difficult so I don't forget what I was doing overnight, but not if I get nothing for it.

Still considering it though. I looked at how many hours his current employees are clocking and most of them are right at 8 hours every day (currently I'm working closer to 7.5), plus their oncall doesn't seem that bad (compared to mine) and it'd give me experience and training in a field I've been looking to move into.

In tech, the attitude of "That's what the money is for" or "You're salaried, you work until it's done." Is a complete lie. Every dollar and every man hour is calculated on the basis of a 40 hour work week. If you aren't comped with either time or money after 40 hours, you're a sucker who is agreeing to work for free.

Off topic: Today I found out that one of my co-workers is against GDPR. Not because it means slightly more work for us, but because "Users shouldn't have the right to control what a company knows about them. This is why every country in Europe is bankrupt."

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 18, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I will never drive an hour at 3:00AM for a "production affecting emergency" (which was an unplugged mouse) without being monetarily compensated. I did the salary game for 5 years and was on call 24/7. It loving sucks and a company will absolutely take advantage of you.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

It always weirds me out when I see people working from a laptop remote with a full size mouse. Are the touchpads that bad when you don’t use Apple?

That and loving touch screens on laptops. No tech ever said please touch my clean screen with your greasy finger to show me the thing you’re talking about.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea....gently caress those guys *hides his laptop mouse and throws away his touchscreen Toshiba*

I'm a pretty low tech techie, but I guess the tech I do embrace is the dumb poo poo :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

It always weirds me out when I see people working from a laptop remote with a full size mouse. Are the touchpads that bad when you don’t use Apple?

That and loving touch screens on laptops. No tech ever said please touch my clean screen with your greasy finger to show me the thing you’re talking about.

I use one of those portable Logitech mouses that work on any surface whenever I use my Windows laptop. Of course, I use it as a portable game system but drat touchpads on most laptops are hot garbage compared to the one on my rMBP.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’ve only had macs since the iBook g4 at least laptop wise. My desktops were always windows but that’s for games. I just can’t imagine that people are lagging this far behind on touchpad tech. I think ibm sent me a laptop with a loving nipple in the middle of the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

In tech, the attitude of "That's what the money is for" or "You're salaried, you work until it's done." Is a complete lie. Every dollar and every man hour is calculated on the basis of a 40 hour work week. If you aren't comped with either time or money after 40 hours, you're a sucker who is agreeing to work for free.

Hell yes this. Companies are the biggest robbers in our nation and you're an rear end in a top hat if you enable it, especially in a highly skilled, high demand field such as IT.