Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

veiled boner fuel posted:

It's a garage, dude.

I fully appreciate painting and putting in flooring and what not, but I still can't see freaking out about a concrete lip. My last house was a model and the garage is where they put various materials so people could look at them so it had all kinds of lighting and the walls were textured and painted and it even had baseboards. But the baseboards were still installed above a 4" concrete lip.

To you, it is just a "garage". I'm a neuro ICU nurse, my OCD knows no bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anybody know what the state of the art is for evaporative (swamp) cooler controllers? I get by ok with the classic "High/Low Cool" dial but it would be cool to replace it with something a little more intelligent. Amazon doesn't have a whole lot of options.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah look into how much gas costs vs electricity from your local utilities. That’s the main sticking point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah look into how much gas costs vs electricity from your local utilities. That’s the main sticking point.

And the cost of running the 220v line, which will probably make it not worth it. Especially if running the line means tearing open the walls, repairing drywall and then re-painting...

The primary disadvantage of a gas dryer is that it has a fire inside it. This is not a big deal for a modern dryer. I personally like mine. Unless gas is very expensive where you live, just get a gas dryer.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Why is running a 220v any more expensive than running a 110 line?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SpartanIvy posted:

Your question misses the point, it’s the cost of running a new electrical circuit period.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

It's the cost of running a new line at all. The gas line is already there, so using a gas dryer doesn't require ripping the walls open.

e:f;b

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Some of these dryers have a "steam" feature, which seems super handy for reducing wrinkles and sanitizing stuff like shoes (basically anything that has "don't tumble dry" in its instructions) but said feature requires cold water input for the dryer.

Ugh......

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

enraged_camel posted:

Some of these dryers have a "steam" feature, which seems super handy for reducing wrinkles and sanitizing stuff like shoes (basically anything that has "don't tumble dry" in its instructions) but said feature requires cold water input for the dryer.

Ugh......

Tee off of the washer hookup. Unless you’re concerned about the dryer breaking and flooding which is a fair concern.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Tee off of the washer hookup. Unless you’re concerned about the dryer breaking and flooding which is a fair concern.

Do I need a special part for that?

My main concern is the washer hookup is on the other side of the washer room so I'd need to run it across the place, and one could accidentally trip over it or otherwise damage it (it's also a storage room).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, you mean a fully mechanical unit? No humidity sensor in the dryer or anything?

Digital is fine, you have to go out of your way to avoid a digital gauge now, they’re just easier to make.

I had the digital panel on my dryer fail but it was like a $20 part from eBay and about 6 screws, wasn’t a big deal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Ugh......

My dryer has a little rack you put in it for stuff you want to dry but not tumble. It's been useful the few times I've used it. Never really understood the "sanitize" feature of a dryer.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

Because every room in your house already has a 110V, so as long as the breakers are sized correctly you can just add to the existing circuit. So a new 240 V would need to come off the breaker up to wherever the dryer is. The only other 240V connection you have is your stove (if its electric).

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Closed on a home earlier this week, never owned before so looking forward to spending all my money on repairs and maintenance. Curious as to the thread's take on security systems. The prior owners had a Vivint system set up, so in theory we could just talk to them but reviews don't seem all that great. What are people's takes on self-monitoring systems? SimpliSafe seems to get a lot of glowing reviews.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

enraged_camel posted:

Do I need a special part for that?

My main concern is the washer hookup is on the other side of the washer room so I'd need to run it across the place, and one could accidentally trip over it or otherwise damage it (it's also a storage room).

I have a newer Samsung dryer with that feature, the dryer actually came with a 'Y' connector and a hose to use for the cold water hookup.

It also amazing, I've only had to iron a handful of shirts/pants in the last 12 months that were particularly wrinkled.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I'm in the market for patio/deck furniture this memorial day weekend. anyone have any particular set/item that they're happy with? I'll be purchasing a dining table with 6-8 seats, propane fire pit, a few benches or loveseats, some stackable chairs for when we have parties, and 2 umbrellas, roughly. since I'm going to widen my rear end in a top hat by a large dollar amount, I'd like to get something I can be happy with for a long while. So far I've looked at Costco, Lowes, Home Depot, Ikea and American Furniture Warehouse and am not 100% in love with anything for the price. No glass because we get hail.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I got a 6 chair tablet set, and a love seat with two chairs and a table for dirt cheap because spring was over and Home Depot was offloading their inventory. It was all Martha Stewart and has served us well for 7 years.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
Don’t forget Wayfair and Overstock. You can’t sit on them and stuff but I’ve had good experiences going off the reviews.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Would like to get more advice on appliance bargaining

Say that I wanted this fridge from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-24-6-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Black-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/999997688

What's the strategy here? Go in, browse fridges, talk to a sales rep about a few different models, ask if you can get an even better discount on top of the memorial day discount? Or just make a lower offer? Ask if they can throw in the extended warranty for free? Does any of this actually work?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

QuarkJets posted:

Would like to get more advice on appliance bargaining

Say that I wanted this fridge from Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-24-6-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Black-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/999997688

What's the strategy here? Go in, browse fridges, talk to a sales rep about a few different models, ask if you can get an even better discount on top of the memorial day discount? Or just make a lower offer? Ask if they can throw in the extended warranty for free? Does any of this actually work?

I did it at Best Buy for a $1000 digital camera but it was also 15 years ago, hope this helps.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

enraged_camel posted:

Well, I was asking the nice old salesman at the appliance section of Home Depot and he shared with me the :siren:top secret tip:siren: that their Memorial Day sale actually starts tomorrow. Really nice of him. Probably saved me several hundred dollars, since I was ready to pull the trigger on a washer and dryer combo, and possibly a fridge too.

Hell yeah, I just saved $200 on my deck furniture

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Soopafly posted:

Don’t forget Wayfair and Overstock. You can’t sit on them and stuff but I’ve had good experiences going off the reviews.

The only tip I have is that some of the stuff you see at patio furniture stores is IDENTICAL to poo poo on wayfair that are basically knockoffs with different names. So if you like one of those just get the wayfair versions. If you want something nice buy the expensive poo poo you can't get on wayfair.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's vastly more difficult with a big box store than it is with a local appliance store but I said "hey, I wanna buy the pair, wanna make a deal?" and the guy immediately lopped $500 off on the spot.

I then took his written offer to another retailer and said, "surely you can do better than this!" and they did, but only by about $100 but free delivery and disposal.

Another way is to ask whether it's better for them to have you pay cash or finance, and then use that information to extract a concession.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just finished the third piece of my sectional for my deck, the corner. $100 for a 3 piece sectional owns - should be about $60 to add a fourth piece and a coffee table in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to doing more of this and improving my methods.

Haven't died from the treated lumber yet but we'll see!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Any suggestions on gutter guards? Just had to climb up to unclog my gutters during a rainstorm because the previous owner had these lovely downspout guards and a bunch of long stringy bullshit from the neighbors oak tree completely blocked them.

I was thinking of getting those spherical downspout guards but also wanted something for the actual gutters themselves. The bristle brush style ones seem like they won’t really work for me but I’m unsure of what type will work. Goal is to only have to go up maybe twice a year to check on things/clear them out. Live in Asheville, NC so not much snow/ice to deal with.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I had a guy install something called Gutter Glove when I had my gutters replaced. It’s a fine mesh topper that runs along the entire top of the gutter and does wonders for keeping cedar and birch detritus out of my downspouts.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm levelling some floor joists and I need to take off a third of an inch along a 3 foot section. My orbital sander isn't making a dent. Would I be better off buying a belt sander or a hand planer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm levelling some floor joists and I need to take off a third of an inch along a 3 foot section. My orbital sander isn't making a dent. Would I be better off buying a belt sander or a hand planer?

Let's back up. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, and why does it need to be done - sounds like a bad way to deal with a structural issue.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't judge, harbor freight has a tool that will shave down a door that sticks, that will "level" your floor joist right up no problem.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-4-quarter-inch-electric-planer-91062.html

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How complicated is it to install a ventilator in a bathroom? One wall is the outer wall of the house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

How complicated is it to install a ventilator in a bathroom? One wall is the outer wall of the house.

If you don't mind going horizontal the relevant information is 1.) do you have stud bays deep enough for one to fit in on that wall, or are you willing to do it in the ceiling and then blast out to the exterior wall (better idea).....and if so are the joists going in the right direction for that and 2.) what does that outside wall look like? Because once you'll need to mount something out there even after you get through it. Diffident sidings will have different challenges.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Motronic posted:

Let's back up. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here, and why does it need to be done - sounds like a bad way to deal with a structural issue.

I have a spot where my floor joists lap:

And one of them is sitting maybe 1/4 of an inch higher. Probably less than a quarter of an inch. Two sheets of plywood subfloor meet at that seam. The problem is it creates a little lip in the subfloor because one side is higher. That wasn't noticeable when it was covered in carpet but now I'm putting down a click together wood floor and I think the lip will cause a problem. So I pulled up the subfloor in that spot and needed to shave a little bit off the joist that was too high so that when I put the subfloor back down it will lay flat and even with the adjacent sheet.

Elephanthead posted:

I don't judge, harbor freight has a tool that will shave down a door that sticks, that will "level" your floor joist right up no problem.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-4-quarter-inch-electric-planer-91062.html

Thanks, might look into getting one of those. I ended up just using a hand planer this time but it was kind of pain.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I have a spot where my floor joists lap:

And one of them is sitting maybe 1/4 of an inch higher. Probably less than a quarter of an inch. Two sheets of plywood subfloor meet at that seam. The problem is it creates a little lip in the subfloor because one side is higher. That wasn't noticeable when it was covered in carpet

Is this under a basement or crawlspace? Because I'm think one or more lally colums is in your future. That's better than shaving down loving floor joists (which will continue to sink and you need to shave off more) and at least closer to dealing with the real issue.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Can someone that's upgraded to a tankless water heater tell me how it went?

My soon to be house needs the water heater replaced and I'm thinking I want to go tankless since it's a small house with one bath and I'm the only one living there.

The house is from 1950 so I think I'll need an upgraded gas meter, an upgraded interior gas line to the closet, and some work done on the exhaust. Either converting it to the concentric intake/exhaust setup completely or just partially (have exhaust on roof through existing vent but have combustion air intake happen in the attic.

I'll also need a 120v line run to the closet I think but I wanted to do that anyway and I can do most of that work myself.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hello fellow homeowners, I'm in the market for a general purpose ladder for doing work around the house/yard. Our house has high ceilings (9'8" on the main floor) and there are some decent-sized trees that need some maintenance (immediate and then ongoing), so I'd probably want to be able to reach 12 feet up or so safely and comfortably with tools and poo poo.

Is one of those taller Little Giant ladders worth it, or would I be fine with an old school fixed-height aluminum ladder?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Queen Victorian posted:

Hello fellow homeowners, I'm in the market for a general purpose ladder for doing work around the house/yard. Our house has high ceilings (9'8" on the main floor) and there are some decent-sized trees that need some maintenance (immediate and then ongoing), so I'd probably want to be able to reach 12 feet up or so safely and comfortably with tools and poo poo.

Is one of those taller Little Giant ladders worth it, or would I be fine with an old school fixed-height aluminum ladder?

Lots of things that matter here - how much do you weigh and how tall are you? What is the maximum you will be carrying? Will you ever want to go beyond ~12 ft?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Queen Victorian posted:

I'm in the market for a ladder too and I've all but decided on the Extend+Climb telescoping ladders. 15.5' max, but adjustable to any point below that as well. Holds up to like 250 lbs which is more than enough for me+tools. Only downside is there's no A-frame to it so it has been to leaning on something.

I also like that it folds up to a tiny size for storing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Little Giant-style ladders are heavy and awkward (and expensive) for what they can do. That's the price you pay for versatility. The A-frame/freestanding mode is occasionally useful, but it doesn't work well if the ground isn't level or at least flat.

Having said that, I bought two of that style of ladder, one short and one taller, and I haven't regretted those purchases. Being able to fold them up and stuff them in a corner of my workshop when I'm not using them is nice, and I have gotten some decent mileage out of the freestanding mode. If you need extra height and there's nothing nearby to lean a ladder on then it can really help. Or you can just get a lightweight aluminum stepladder, if you only need 2-3 extra feet of height.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

baquerd posted:

Lots of things that matter here - how much do you weigh and how tall are you? What is the maximum you will be carrying? Will you ever want to go beyond ~12 ft?

I'm 5'9" and like 145 or so, and I guess would probably want to have up to 30-40 lbs of tools/supplies (I guess? I have handsaws for tree trimming (not quite enough tree to bother investing in one of those little chainsaws on a stick) and we might want to be doing painting and work with light fixtures and crown molding inside). My fiance is 5'11" and around 170. So we are pretty standard height/weight and not fat. I'm not sure I'd need this ladder for much greater heights, but it would need to be one of those freestanding ones.

If I ever needed to get up the outside of the house, I'd need a super tall extension ladder:

I think I'll just hire professionals with their own ladders for that sort of poo poo.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Little Giant-style ladders are heavy and awkward (and expensive) for what they can do. That's the price you pay for versatility. The A-frame/freestanding mode is occasionally useful, but it doesn't work well if the ground isn't level or at least flat.

Having said that, I bought two of that style of ladder, one short and one taller, and I haven't regretted those purchases. Being able to fold them up and stuff them in a corner of my workshop when I'm not using them is nice, and I have gotten some decent mileage out of the freestanding mode. If you need extra height and there's nothing nearby to lean a ladder on then it can really help. Or you can just get a lightweight aluminum stepladder, if you only need 2-3 extra feet of height.

Yeah the Little Giants seemed really expensive. I might get a standard freestanding one that's medium-ish height, and if I ever intend to do my own work on the exterior of the house, get an extension ladder (I might want to repaint the trim eventually). We already have a three-step stepladder, but it's barely tall enough for reaching the ceiling downstairs (and I couldn't reach the light fixture on the porch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I use a cheap $40 extension ladder more then any other because it is super light and easy to get down. I think it is 8 feet and extends to 14 or 12 feet.