Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What did the YALiberty one say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Wheeee posted:

Pretty much everything the American military uses today is either cold war leftovers or make work projects to keep the defense industry companies' doors open.

https://youtu.be/ldFWBdVnuFU

WW3 will kick off with modern conventional weapons, but it will be ended by poo poo so far beyond what America currently uses that the idea of attack helicopters and aircraft carriers will be as quaint as dumb carpet bombing and battleships are today.

Military technology doesn't really advance in leaps and bounds like that, and WW2 going from carpet bombing to atomic bombing is a rare exception.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ron Jeremy posted:

What did the YALiberty one say?

it was a few seconds before in the video, where donglover is entering through the door on the right but nothing has happened yet, and the choir was labeled "people interested in libertarianism" and donglover was labeled "libertarians"

god why do i remember this, even on the same day

e: I just re-read my own post and it sounds completely unbelievable that someone would own themselves that hard with a meme. But it really happened.

emdash has issued a correction as of 21:57 on May 17, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe not leap and bounds, but e.g. the F-35 is supposed to serve until 2070, which is a ridiculous conceit to the military industrial complex and political agenda and not a reflection of objective reality. Imagine VIetnam but fought with the Wright Flyer.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

a very good cat who was extremely high

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine VIetnam but fought with the Wright Flyer.

Imagine making a comparison so stupid.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

imagine ww1 but with the halo energy sword

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Imagine making a comparison so stupid.

imagine being such a military dork you pretend you cant comprehend hyperbole

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i played hearts of iron 2 in high school and let me tell you about how war works

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It was mostly the idea of comparing WW3 with that time the US flipped out and really stupidly forced its way into Vietnamese internal conflicts. A WW3 scenario has nothing to do with some dumbass, ill-advised war where because we're so freaked out about communism, we became nation number whatever to go gently caress with the Vietnamese, who really just wanted everyone else to gently caress off and let them determine their own fate.

Couldn't give a gently caress about the rest of how dumb your post was.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

It was mostly the idea of comparing WW3 with that time the US flipped out and really stupidly forced its way into Vietnamese internal conflicts. A WW3 scenario has nothing to do with some dumbass, ill-advised war where because we're so freaked out about communism, we became nation number whatever to go gently caress with the Vietnamese, who really just wanted everyone else to gently caress off and let them determine their own fate.

wtf are you going on about

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im playing eu4, because i like maps

THS
Sep 15, 2017

you cant fight in here, this is the war room!! hehe who gets that reference ;)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

im playing eu4, because i like maps

i play it cause i like to destroy europeans

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I can't be bothered to learn/understand the Battletech Feudalism maps.

Just shoot mechs with mechs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mlmp08 posted:

im the war nerd postin in fuckin lf

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah this is why I stopped posting in TFR/GIP.

Well, the weird war sperging and the fact that all the posters seem to be either Nazis or the most infuriatingly centrist libs imaginable. Mostly that bit, actually.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
full spectrum warriors itt

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Peanut President posted:

i actually remember a fair bit of war nerd sperging in LF but it ended up discussing the role of 200 foot tall anime robots in conventional war so it was actually way better

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I only wish Dr Dolan was here instead of you stupid fuckheads

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

imagine ww1 but with the halo energy sword

bad rear end

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe not leap and bounds, but e.g. the F-35 is supposed to serve until 2070, which is a ridiculous conceit to the military industrial complex and political agenda and not a reflection of objective reality. Imagine VIetnam but fought with the Wright Flyer.

Having stuff in service for half a century happens all the time. What's ridiculous is that they expect to use the F-35 specifically for that long.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Having stuff in service for half a century happens all the time. What's ridiculous is that they expect to use the F-35

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

the USAF could give up 100% of the funding to all A-10 programs and pax and still the Army couldn’t afford it. The USAF offered that and the army did a cost analysis and said “nope” due to the insane cost just to bring the program into the Army fold, much less maintain it.

The A-10 gets all kinds of political fights and armchair military experts on both ends of the argument up in arms really quickly.

this is CSPAM but just pretend I posted my usual “CAS is a mission, not a platform” screed.

I'd like to see that study, any links?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Kurdish villagers quite like the sound of US air power, it keeps the Daesh away.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SimonCat posted:

Kurdish villagers quite like the sound of US air power, it keeps the Daesh away.

Pretty sure they're more concerned with Turkey now

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

I'd like to see that study, any links?

I'd have to dig through a bunch of poo poo to find the report I meant, but this more easily searchable article mentions the USAF offering the A-10 to the Army (with conditions), and the Army walked away due to concerns over threats to long range surface-to-surface/surface-to-air fires and helicopter procurement.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a530838.pdf

Probably wise of the Army not to take any kind of short-term "win" of owning CAS and the A-10 in exchange for ensuring that the USAF was long-term involved in the CAS mission.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

I'd have to dig through a bunch of poo poo to find the report I meant, but this more easily searchable article mentions the USAF offering the A-10 to the Army (with conditions), and the Army walked away due to concerns over threats to long range surface-to-surface/surface-to-air fires and helicopter procurement.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a530838.pdf

Probably wise of the Army not to take any kind of short-term "win" of owning CAS and the A-10 in exchange for ensuring that the USAF was long-term involved in the CAS mission.

Yeah. I'm reading "How much is enough?" which is an analysis of the McNamara Systems Analysis program and a similar issue was found in the late 50s and early 60s. The Army was very focused on CAS while the Air Force was very focused on air superiority against the Russians with no one setting the starting point of what the end state should look like. One of McNamara's big contributions was changing the role of Secretary of Defense into one that set the goals of procurement policy, rather than letting the individual services run with it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

i actually remember a fair bit of war nerd sperging in LF but it ended up discussing the role of 200 foot tall anime robots in conventional war so it was actually way better

I don't remember that but I believe it.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I just noticed that big rear end scope on the gun.

it's a tool of self defense and the scope is necessary to gank undesirables at 75 yards

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What do you guys have against scopes? Scopes are good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
noscope 360 headshot national guardsmen

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Almighty_Prismo/status/997156611469840387

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/997306478171127808

https://twitter.com/FOX26Houston/status/996838789451427840?s=19

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Volcott posted:

Counterpoint: these things are all cool.

i went to an air show once. there was a lot of weird military propaganda but the part where they dropped bombs in front of the crowd was cool

THS
Sep 15, 2017

some people dont get fiscal

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

i went to a military parade in russia once and they flew some big rear end bear bombers like 400 feet above us at stall speed, you could feel the wash from the 8 props

i wish they fell on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i wish they fell on you too :D