Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Thorgrim Grudgebearer v. Grimgor Ironhide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=252yynJ_e7g

Fimbur Drakebeard v. Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qdk7aSilfY

Thorgrim game: Not a gimme battle at all, but you're defending. First, try and take some high ground anywhere, will give you an edge. Then don't make a square of infantry not protecting anything like that ever. I don't really know what you were trying, but your artillery was easily flanked. Artillery needs to have flank protection. Then instead of trying to micro range back, just move your melee forward before the orc lines come crashing in. Easier to do, gives your range more time to fire as well.

Thorgrim vs hordes of orcs is epic, but he gives leadership buffs to nearby units, it's best to not have him charge into stuff alone, especially if you have ranged units you can sit back and protect with your lord/melee as the orcs run in and die.

Fimbur game: Go ALL the way up that hill, it's allowed. Split your thane and lord on either side, they give buffs to nearby troops and do damage. They're better fighting than sitting back as well after the engagement starts. Your initial formation is a lot better than the Thorgrim game though, if you had done this type of setup in that game you would've won that game. Don't stack archers on top of each other, give them a little breathing room so they can all fire. Unlike game 1 you did okay, but a little bigger spacing, splitting your lord/thane and going all the way to the top of the hill would've let you win it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
If you like Tomb Kings then I recommend the Choice and Consequence overhaul while playing them. It's particularly good for them for a number of reasons :

-All your units now get perfect vigor, and since the overhaul veers things toward longer battles Tomb Kings are pretty good at winning attrition battles simply by tiring out their enemies.

-Realm of Souls, Reanimate and Restless Dead scale up to reflect the bigger HP pools and actually I find them more useful with this overhaul.

-Lore of Nehekara makes all the buffs and debuffs AoE so they are exponentially more effective. All spells are stronger with the overhaul, but most damage spells got a proportionate increase in cost to balance it. Lore of Nehekara spells are quite economical so you can spend the whole battle buffing 4 of your units at a time more or less.

-Casket of Souls jizzes out 20 projectiles a Salvo, making it amazing in sieges.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Thorgrim Grudgebearer v. Grimgor Ironhide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=252yynJ_e7g

Yeah don't do that.

Main problems:
missile units unprotected - starting them in front can be OK if you maintain a clear retreat path which you don't do here.
boxing - this does literally nothing (you give up local superiority everywhere) and then further the fuckup by letting your melee dudes get pulled in every direction

While you are seriously outnumbered here, but I think this should be winnable (probably end up pyrrhic) since orc archers which are the majority of the enemy army are poo poo (and your front line has shields, which mean as long as they're facing the arrow fire they take considerably less damage, aka not making a useless box) as long as you maintain cohesion, don't get picked apart, and allow your missile units to actually fire.

aka nothing fancy, standard melee line, defensively curved, missiles in back, Thorgrim in front of melee line (not too far though) to draw fire and clump poo poo up for the catapults and to encourage their melee to expose their flanks to your own. Catapults should focus largest clumps, other missiles probably focus fire Girmgor since he's already super low and getting rid of him will help out your melee line tons.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 18, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lurksion posted:

Yeah don't do that.

Yeah looked like a bad play.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Your game 2 had a formation that if done in that game would've slaughtered the orcs. Everyone starts somewhere, it's okay.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also don't be afraid to spread out a bit more. It actually makes it harder to be flanked as the enemy has to cover more distance to encircle you.

Max Wilco posted:

Fimbur Drakebeard v. Wurrzag Da Great Green Prophet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qdk7aSilfY
Here's my take on this (approximately replicated in a custom battle) in more or less realtime (I pause once at the beginning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZa6k1v8Vo

Key points:
Note the lord in front that catches the melee, opening them to getting pounded by artillery and then flanked
Instead of balling up, I spread out a bit, leaving room to maneuver, which allows for...
Two units in reserve to deal with the flankers, and then pulled more to flank the flankers
Missile focus fire the important targets aka the cavalry
Orc archers mostly ignored until the end as they dont do poo poo (catapults hit them as they don't have any better targets)

I have one major fuckup allowing one group of cav to hit the catapults - should've pulled over warriors earlier but lost track. Also have one unit of warriors do nothing - though that actually might have been optimal since the AI archers targeted them doing literally nothing.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 18, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Thorgrim game: Not a gimme battle at all, but you're defending. First, try and take some high ground anywhere, will give you an edge. Then don't make a square of infantry not protecting anything like that ever. I don't really know what you were trying, but your artillery was easily flanked. Artillery needs to have flank protection. Then instead of trying to micro range back, just move your melee forward before the orc lines come crashing in. Easier to do, gives your range more time to fire as well.

Thorgrim vs hordes of orcs is epic, but he gives leadership buffs to nearby units, it's best to not have him charge into stuff alone, especially if you have ranged units you can sit back and protect with your lord/melee as the orcs run in and die.

Fimbur game: Go ALL the way up that hill, it's allowed. Split your thane and lord on either side, they give buffs to nearby troops and do damage. They're better fighting than sitting back as well after the engagement starts. Your initial formation is a lot better than the Thorgrim game though, if you had done this type of setup in that game you would've won that game. Don't stack archers on top of each other, give them a little breathing room so they can all fire. Unlike game 1 you did okay, but a little bigger spacing, splitting your lord/thane and going all the way to the top of the hill would've let you win it.

With the Thorgrim game, what I was trying to do was use that little bundle of trees as cover for the infantry (I know how stupid that sounds, but I figured that as long as you're on terrain the cursor recognizes as wooded land, it would work). The archers were set to Skrimish mode, because my thinking was that archers would move back into the woods and the attacking troops would follow them in and get taken by the infantry. I think I had Thorgrim and the others in the back because I thought maybe the AI would hone in on him, but I honestly can't remember. I think it was before I learned to play the dwarves real defensively.

With the Fimbur game, the issue was that in setup, I could only place them on one half of the hill, and not the other, and I didn't think to move them when the battle started. I still feel like the cavalry would have messed up the infantry pretty bad, but probably not as bad as the archers.

lurksion posted:

Yeah don't do that.

I laughed at this; not because I think you're wrong, but because my screw-up could be encapsulated in a single screenshot.

lurksion posted:

Also don't be afraid to spread out a bit more. It actually makes it harder to be flanked as the enemy has to cover more distance to encircle you.

Here's my take on this (approximately replicated in a custom battle) in more or less realtime (I pause once at the beginning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZa6k1v8Vo

Key points:
Note the lord in front that catches the melee, opening them to getting pounded by artillery and then flanked
Instead of balling up, I spread out a bit, leaving room to maneuver, which allows for...
Two units in reserve to deal with the flankers, and then pulled more to flank the flankers
Missile focus fire the important targets aka the cavalry
Orc archers mostly ignored until the end as they dont do poo poo (catapults hit them as they don't have any better targets)

I have one major fuckup allowing one group of cav to hit the catapults - should've pulled over warriors earlier but lost track. Also have one unit of warriors do nothing - though that actually might have been optimal since the AI archers targeted them doing literally nothing.

I really appreciate that you tried to replicate it. It gets a little disorientating for me trying to keep track of everything a couple of minutes in, but maybe it easier when you're doing hands on and you can assess what you want to do (I tend to pause the game and use the tactical map a lot).

I think the reason for the tight grouping is because I saw that if a unit's spread out too far, enemy troops can break through the line. I also wanted to stay up as high on that hill as possible.

Not sure whether to pick up the dwarf campaign I was doing, start it again from scratch, or switch over to Empire or Vampires to try something different. At the very least, I'll try loading up the second replay to see if I can try to get a victory out of it for practice.

Again, I appreciate the advice from everyone so far. Thanks :)

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Don't forget to press pause.

I am crap at micro and generally hate all twitch games. But I just pause the hell out of TW battles and play them the way I want to play them.

You may not want to, as some people think it's cheating or defeats the purpose of real time battles, but I can't do it without it, and I find over time that I get better and pause less.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Turn off skirmish mode for non-cav range. It's not the best. Your micro really is fine, you notice things fast enough in general, your initial positioning is what's kinda wrecking you. That said I wouldn't recommend Britonia, they're a wee bit more micro intensive. I have been playing LotV again a bit and this game, warhammer, really just does not need even slightly fast micro at all.

If your units were more spread out vs the cavalry, you would've been a lot better. The cav will get bogged down in a single unit and not be able to pierce through to your quarrelers who will continue to wreck poo poo.

Pausing wrecks the AI's ability to perform, you can do it if you want, just know that it hamstrings the AI really, really badly, and again your micro isn't really the issue.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
IMO there should be more varieties of chaos warhounds because I like the puppies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

packetmantis posted:

IMO there should be more varieties of chaos warhounds because I like the puppies.

You already have them on like 4 factions (Chaos, Beastmen, Norsca, and VC have a virtually identical units). They're like the most common unit type in the game along with Giants.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
With a good formation and some management of ai behaviour you don't need to micro as much. Some tips:

*You can deploy infantry in two ways in single player. You can deploy them with a smaller frontage so the unit will last longer and won't suffer morale problems as much. Alternately, you can deploy units with a wider frontage to get more of them hitting the enemy and/or to cover more of the battlefield (but they will also die and rout faster). So having a double line of troops can be good in that case so that the opponent doesn't easily penetrate a huge swathe of your front line. You can also mix it up and have high morale, armoured units like Greatswords in a thin line, with more boxy blocks of weaker Swordsmen or Spearmen between and behind the Greatswords. With a well-deployed front line you won't have to pay quite as much attention to it.

*A good way to buy yourself time in battles is to improve the morale stat of your melee troops in particular. Veterancy, technology and lord skills can make a big difference (Empire has a +5 morale tech for infantry which is fairly impactful early on). Less routing means less tactical disasters to frantically respond to.

*Try turning on guard mode with your missile troops and also disabling skirmish. This will allow them to shoot even when engaged in melee and you won't have to re-position them as much so = less micro.

*Also try spacing out your missile troops, otherwise they can get in each others way. There should be at least a small gap between each missile unit, and in single player they normally perform best as a block rather than a thin line. Missile troops can shoot through other models in their own unit without penalty, so putting them in a box will make them turn faster to shoot at no cost. Also makes them last longer in melee and easier to protect inside your formation.

*Skirmishers (like Pistoliers) make the ai go batshit and they'll send 2-4 infantry units to vainly chase after them, which can be a very good way of managing numbers to stop your formation from being overwhelmed.

*The ai also doesn't mind sending 2-3 units to fight one of yours, so if necessary you can string out a unit into a thin line and sacrifice it as a speed bump to give yourself more time to react.

*Learn to use groups. You can move parts of your army as formations, or hotkey all your missile units to easily concentrate fire. Groups have a little padlock icon and it causes them to behave differently depending on whether you "lock" the group or not. You can also alt-click on a selected group of units to move them in formation which is super useful and time-saving.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Alith Anar is looking like effectively a Lord Pack character added for free, that's pretty cool. Hand of the Shadow Crown sounds like a new Hero or Lord type to me. New elf mages are also nice to have.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Does not disappoint.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Oooh giant slayers

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Finally I can send my foes to the shadow realm

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The amount of stuff for Alith Anar makes Tretch look like a rush job now. At least he was free!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Picked up the King and the Warlord pack and gave Belegar a try. What's the best strategy after you have secured your home province? Take out Skarsnik, or head straight for Karak eight-peaks?

Also, when do the Border Princes stop being assholes? I have 80 relations with them, and they still don't want to give me military access.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Border Princes never stop being arseholes.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Broken Cog posted:

Picked up the King and the Warlord pack and gave Belegar a try. What's the best strategy after you have secured your home province? Take out Skarsnik, or head straight for Karak eight-peaks?

Also, when do the Border Princes stop being assholes? I have 80 relations with them, and they still don't want to give me military access.

All my most successful Belegar runs have involved decamping towards K8P with Belegar's army and the ghost grandpas as soon as the initial province is secured and the army is built up. It takes a little luck but if you can take Valaya's Sorrow then you have a good base to use for attacking the Karak itself - the hardest thing is going to be defeating the Mutinous Gits' armies before you can assault, but actually assaulting the city shouldn't be too hard if you make good use of your ghosts and have a good few rangers to provide missile fire. You might lose your starting province while doing this but once you take Karak Eight Peaks you're in a way better position, especially since you'll lose that +50% upkeep penalty.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm kinda losing my poo poo at how drat near every feature listed under New Campaign features for the elf DLC is some incredibly Warhammer poo poo.

DEATH NIGHT
THE BLOOD VOYAGE
MORTAL WORLDS TORMENT

TONIGHT, AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN, TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Are Shades hipsters, goths, or scene kids?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Are giant slayers two normal slayer stacked on top of each other

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imo update looks good but mannnn I wanted Eltharion, not Alith Anar

Hat Elves deserve a melee/caster hybrid lord and a griffon CA

I DONT WANT TO PLAY ALITH ANAR

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Are giant slayers two normal slayer stacked on top of each other

That's just, like, a normal person. It takes at least 4 before they can be described as 'giant.'

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Doesnt have the gloobrldglirp monster I want, disappointed in this low effort dlc, 1/10 would not play pontus etc

Real fuckin excited about norsca for tw2 though seriously.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

John Charity Spring posted:

All my most successful Belegar runs have involved decamping towards K8P with Belegar's army and the ghost grandpas as soon as the initial province is secured and the army is built up. It takes a little luck but if you can take Valaya's Sorrow then you have a good base to use for attacking the Karak itself - the hardest thing is going to be defeating the Mutinous Gits' armies before you can assault, but actually assaulting the city shouldn't be too hard if you make good use of your ghosts and have a good few rangers to provide missile fire. You might lose your starting province while doing this but once you take Karak Eight Peaks you're in a way better position, especially since you'll lose that +50% upkeep penalty.

I tried doing this and the result was both the Greenskins and the Mutinous Gits Waagh bee-lining straight for me.

Edit: Also, the Waagh has artillery, because of course.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 18, 2018

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Queen & Crone Let's Play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_N7UitOqYs

Edit: Sisters of Averlorn confirmed as AP ranged, 180 range.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 18, 2018

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

For 7 EUR it is worth it.
And as comparison WoT is now selling the WH40k skin of a tier 6 tech tree tank for 34 USD.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I tried doing this and the result was both the Greenskins and the Mutinous Gits Waagh bee-lining straight for me.

Edit: Also, the Waagh has artillery, because of course.

Seriously, ghost dad's are obscebely powerfu in combatl. Unbreakable, almost unkillable, and cause terror combined with the low orc moral. On top of all that, you get 4 of the drat things. Don't underestimate what you can get away with.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Seriously, ghost dad's are obscebely powerfu in combatl. Unbreakable, almost unkillable, and cause terror combined with the low orc moral. On top of all that, you get 4 of the drat things. Don't underestimate what you can get away with.

Oh, they're strong, but I'm not sure they're this strong

Army is tattered due to fighting 2 other 20-stacks earlier this turn.

Edit: Nvm I cheesed it with corner camping.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 18, 2018

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gejnor posted:

Queen & Crone Let's Play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_N7UitOqYs

Edit: Sisters of Averlorn confirmed as AP ranged, 180 range.

So the Dark Elf campaign mechanic gives a "flaw" that is easily ignored (when will you not have infinite slaves?) and gives a huge reward every time it cycles
Meanwhile the High Elf campaign mechanic gives you big campaign penalties for allowing enemies into the inner ring, something that is both A) the case at the start of the game and B) not something you have much control over for a long time

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Sisters of Slaughter are interesting. Squishy, but with 60 melee defense/40 melee attack and poison they're going to just meatgrinder through chaff units. Shields make them slightly less terrible against arrows than Witch Elves, too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

So the Dark Elf campaign mechanic gives a "flaw" that is easily ignored (when will you not have infinite slaves?) and gives a huge reward every time it cycles
Meanwhile the High Elf campaign mechanic gives you big campaign penalties for allowing enemies into the inner ring, something that is both A) the case at the start of the game and B) not something you have much control over for a long time
I always had infinite slaves because I never had a reason to sacrifice them before. Though you're right, it seems like the blood nights don't cost much at all.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Oh, they're strong, but I'm not sure they're this strong

Army is tattered due to fighting 2 other 20-stacks earlier this turn.

Edit: Nvm I cheesed it with corner camping.

Was about to respond that yes, they indeed are that strong, but looks like you beat me to the punch. Again, horror is bananas against orcs and gobbos.

Also, don't forget to replenish casualties by camping in allied territory.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Are Shades hipsters, goths, or scene kids?

juggalos

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I always had infinite slaves because I never had a reason to sacrifice them before. Though you're right, it seems like the blood nights don't cost much at all.

The cost increases every time it's used.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kaza42 posted:

Those penalties look absolutely murderous for the early campaign, too. Massive PO and construction cost penalties out of the gate because the AI is too stupid to kill off the Cult of Excess before turn 20 or whatever feels pretty bad.

That and despite the theme for it being Alarielle uniting the High Elves in defense of Ulthuan, it sure does seem to incentivize you brutally and bloodily conquering at least the entire inner ring and the gates.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The cost increases every time it's used.

I wonder if the increase has a cap or decays. Playing Mortal Empires on an effective timer would be unfortunate.

e: Oh, rad, it looks like you get a quest to kill Morathi or Alarielle and remove the penalty.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Kanos posted:

I wonder if the increase has a cap or decays. Playing Mortal Empires on an effective timer would be unfortunate.

If you capture Morathi or Alarielle capitals the effect goes away and you don't have to pay anything anymore.