Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Is this show set to air anywhere or just a thought tossed around?

Netflix, so you know, way better outcome for everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

esperterra posted:

The new Charmed looks somehow more terrible than the original, and the worst part is I'll watch it anyway.

I watched almost all of Charmed and while that promo for nuCharmed is bad, people seem to forget how loving awful Charmed truly was. It was late 90s as hell, even into the 2000s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I watched almost all of Charmed and while that promo for nuCharmed is bad, people seem to forget how loving awful Charmed truly was. It was late 90s as hell, even into the 2000s.

I'm actually really shocked that I just checked and saw that it was on from 1998-2006. I would have thought that '98 was its end date. Maybe 2001 at the very, very latest.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanderdeath posted:

I rewatched all of it in the past three years. I very much remember.

The diff is the original cast was very nice to look at!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean what's the point of Charmed if not to see what hair/outfit combo Alyssa Milano has each week

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Is anybody else as into NatGeo's Genius: Picasso series as I am? THE ACTOR PLAYING YOUNG PICASSO LOOKS EXACTLY loving LIKE HIM!! It's un-loving-real! It feels like I'm looking through a time portal at the real events of his life. Antonio Banderas is cool too but the star power he brings in almost takes me out of it a little bit. That said, remembering the fact that he and Picasso were born in the same place brings me right back into it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who was kinda down on Westworld until the first season's finale, I am really enjoying Season 2.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I was watching Castle and they had that cliche scene in the shooting range where it’s like “oh it turns out they can shoot wow!!” And they hit the bullseye easily and I can’t think where I saw it before. There’s a similar scene in the West Wing but I can’t think where else I saw it. Help??

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tom Tucker posted:

I was watching Castle and they had that cliche scene in the shooting range where it’s like “oh it turns out they can shoot wow!!” And they hit the bullseye easily and I can’t think where I saw it before. There’s a similar scene in the West Wing but I can’t think where else I saw it. Help??

Colony has a scene like that in season 1.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tom Tucker posted:

Psych too

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Brooklyn 99 has one in the first season, at the tactical village. Jake says he likes to target the PB&J, penis, brain, and jaws, and lands direct shots on each of the three quite proficiently.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Jusupov posted:

Psych too

YES.

It was Psych I was thinking of, thank you so much.

Oh my god I can't even begin to describe what a relief that is.

15 years later and constant poo poo posting in 24, Lost, and Heroes threads was all worth it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tom Tucker posted:

YES.

It was Psych I was thinking of, thank you so much.

Oh my god I can't even begin to describe what a relief that is.

15 years later and constant poo poo posting in 24, Lost, and Heroes threads was all worth it.

To be fair his dad trained him basically since birth to be the perfect cop, it'd be weirder if he couldn't shoot a gun well. That's basically the entire show, his superpower is parental abuse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Psych doesn’t he shoot the same spots so it looks like he missed at first? Or was that the Castle one?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Aphrodite posted:

In Psych doesn’t he shoot the same spots so it looks like he missed at first? Or was that the Castle one?

Yeah he shot right next to the ones the cop shot

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I signed up for Youtube TV to try to support The Expanse. I'm cancelling the service after two days. The UI is sluggish as hell. Finding the shows I want is awkward. The video quality is capped at "720P" but it looks like puke. Also, I loving hate commercials. Death to TV.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm loving how Imposters just keeps getting better and better. (No cancel, pls kthx.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Aphrodite posted:

The West Wing one Mark Harmon shoots 5 through the same hole and a sixth just next to it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I signed up for Youtube TV to try to support The Expanse. I'm cancelling the service after two days. The UI is sluggish as hell. Finding the shows I want is awkward. The video quality is capped at "720P" but it looks like puke. Also, I loving hate commercials. Death to TV.

Are they picking up the Expanse? I was actually looking at streaming tv again since I really miss just being able to click something on and veg. Sucks to hear youtube's offering sucks, it wasn't available before when I had PSVue.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

swickles posted:

The West Wing one Mark Harmon shoots 5 through the same hole and a sixth just next to it.

TVTropes has a whole page of them, my favorite being Rita from Power Rangers throwing her staff from the moon to the exact same location every time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Medullah posted:

TVTropes has a whole page of them, my favorite being Rita from Power Rangers throwing her staff from the moon to the exact same location every time.

Dude Perfect could do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TVTropes >: (

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
As bad as the original Charmed was, the new one is being helmed by Jane the Virgin showrunner Jenny Snyder Urman, so that earns it at the very least a ~5 episode test from me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

Are they picking up the Expanse? I was actually looking at streaming tv again since I really miss just being able to click something on and veg. Sucks to hear youtube's offering sucks, it wasn't available before when I had PSVue.

No, they aren't picking up The Expanse. The push that came from the production company that said if some ratings movement would happen, Syfy would come back to the negotiating table. Neilson apparently incorporates live view stats from OTT providers into their metrics. Live ended up getting a 10% boost which honestly isn't horrible, but likely won't be enough.

I've played with all the OTT providers and YouTube TV was by far the best experience. I had no issues with video quality at all and the picture quality curb stomped what passes for HD on FiOS nowadays.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 18, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Expanse's ratings were flat last episode even after all the internet angst so...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because most nerds watching The Expanse don't watch it live. I couldn't but I did watch it via the DVR the next day,

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Because most nerds watching The Expanse don't watch it live.

Yeah and that's the exact problem.

Friends, what's the first show that you loved that was cancelled unjustly, leading you to mistrust and hate network executives?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not that most nerds have the box that tracks live viewing anyways, so even if they watched live, it wouldn't matter.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

Friends, what's the first show that you loved that was cancelled unjustly, leading you to mistrust and hate network executives?

I dunno about first, but Terriers is the first that comes to mind.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

zoux posted:

As an adult, Pushing Daisies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not that most nerds have the box that tracks live viewing anyways, so even if they watched live, it wouldn't matter.

Turner Broadcasting is turning away from Nielsen bullshit, so hopefully more networks will as well

quote:

Turner Broadcasting executives announced Wednesday their intention to go all in on audience targeting -- encouraging media buyers to shift away from buying only based on Nielsen ratings, TV’s currency standard bearer.

Ahead of the company’s upfront presentation at Madison Square Garden, Turner president David Levy instead pitched the company’s audience-targeting capabilities, touting performance-based buys and targeting and how they can work to improve the traditional metrics.

“We are in a new era of media, and it's time to retire the Nielsen television metric. While it undoubtedly served its purpose, it no longer fully captures how to successfully measure an audience in today’s landscape,” Levy said.

“Audience targeting works, and is generating drastically greater results for our advertising and marketing partners. The time is now—this upfront—for advertisers to change how they think about the value of their marketing and invest in audience targeting.”

During the presentation, that theme continued. The company highlighted the performance of its shows in the TV ratings, yes, but also on social media, on VOD and streaming, and in live events. Turner encouraged advertisers and media buyers to sponsor the whole lot, not just a 30-second spot.

"Make no mistake -- TV matters, but when you only buy TV, you are missing value and opportunity," Turner ad sales chief Donna Speciale told the crowd. "Our industry spends a lot of time taking about the future, but talk isn’t action, and we are not changing fast enough.

"How we create, plan and buy media must reflect how people actually consume content today, and how you can get the best returns for your business," she added. "TV ratings are no longer our sole success metric, and they shouldn’t be yours either. We shouldn’t just value TV, but the whole ecosystem."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dunno about first, but Terriers is the first that comes to mind.

Mine was....Space Rangers....

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

The first time I was actually aware of it going on and not just a show disappearing, probably Family Guy if we're being honest, as much as I can't stand that show now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alcon is honestly the real issue. No expensive show is going to survive when you don't give the network a cut of streaming rights or first run digital sales.

Syfy can only make revenue on the show with Live+3 basically. Digital sales of the current season and streaming of prior seasons net them $0.

It's an outmoded financial model, the rights of the show are way too scattered.

GreenNight posted:

OTT actually do report back to Neilson, but how they incorporate it is anyone's guess.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 18, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

Alphas is the one that still stings the most

And it was SyFy again... those fuckers

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

Alphas is the one that still stings the most

And it was SyFy again... those fuckers

Oh man, that ended on a doozy of a cliffhanger, too. I watched it on Netflix and was warned about it and was still all “WHAT THE gently caress” when it ended.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Welp. Lightning hit my neighbor's yard and fried both my main TV and my kid's TV. I hope the TCL 5-series is good. gently caress I hate dropping $600 out of nowhere. At least it's 4K and HDR. I don't have a 4K player yet so will I at least get something out of the HDR upgrade? I just get OTA and streaming.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amazon and Netflix have a lot of HDR content now (Netflix you have to upgrade your sub to get access), but it's almost all their originals so if your aren't into those shows you aren't going to get much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Farscape.

I'm still salty.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
First one for me was Futurama, I was gutted when it got canned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MST3K and SG1.