Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My most secret and shameful sexual fantasy is a range hood vent that actually does its loving job hnnnnggghhhffffghh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My kitchen is enclosed but has no fan or vent and only a single barely operable old window. The worst of both worlds. Hooray 1930's kitchen.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

elise the great posted:

My most secret and shameful sexual fantasy is a range hood vent that actually does its loving job hnnnnggghhhffffghh

:shlick:

I have a range vent hood. It even vents to outside!

It moves about 1 metric mousefart of air per hour.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

~This is where the magic happens.~

That fan is so strong I have to close the window (door to the left) or it will suck the vent smoke right back inside! It's also very easy to clean :peanut: (and magnetic!!!!) Medium power is adequate for both my fryer and the fish broiler. High power is loud af.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 18, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

At 6'1" my biggest challenge with a kitchen hood is finding one I can fit under the ceiling height without cracking my head on it constantly. I'm probably going to have to go for one of those angled ones.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We have a reasonably looking hood with three volume settings. They don't seem to affect the volume of air moved though, so I keep thinking about fitting a gigantic mixed flow fan inside, I'm just worried about how to wire it up.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress half-walls. Kitchens need to be rooms. All an open concept kitchen is good for is getting a thin layer of grease on everything you own when the woefully undersized (and probably recirculating) hood can't keep up with any amount of actual cooking beyond making mac & cheese.

Gimme a kichen that's got walls and a commercial-grade hood.

Yeah this. I'd maybe have a big kitchen table in there for eating at, but I can't imagine much worse than everything else in my house being in the same room as me running a vent fan, oven & stir frying something.

Everything will smell of food/grease, and be coated in it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Have y'all tried it? I've not had a problem with it and every house I've had has been like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

Have y'all tried it? I've not had a problem with it and every house I've had has been like that.

You know how sometimes you visit someone with a cat and their house reeks of ammonia and they don't notice because it sort of crept up on them and now they are used to it? Or you walk in the door and instantly know a smoker lives there, but the residents seem oblivious? What if your house smells like old grease and you just don't know? :ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It would be drowned out by the stench of piss.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I live in a studio apartment that's just under 300 sq ft. It's roughly L-shaped. It is the most open of open concepts.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Isn't that the point of a "butler's pantry"?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Youth Decay posted:

Isn't that the point of a "butler's pantry"?

Yeah, I was gonna say that a lot of big houses in New England had that ‘second secret kitchen space’ game down like a century ago.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
2 Kitchens 1 House also shows up in hardcore Jewish homes that require separate kitchens for milk and meat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say that a lot of big houses in New England had that ‘second secret kitchen space’ game down like a century ago.

And that nice guest house behind the field.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
If you’re not doing your cooking in the “kitchen” attached to your main living space, wouldn’t you be better off with just like, a drinks fridge, small cupboard and maybe a sink in there, and the door to the actual kitchen reasonably nearby?

Essentially a tiny drinks prep station.

Don’t you open plan fans ever want to do something different from your spouse / family at the same time?

I like listening to podcasts while cooking, and often escape the living room while my GF is watching anything reality on TV.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 19, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nah I definitely need the line of sight to witness the kids destroying the living room, and/or watch news while I'm cooking. I also have a good view of the front door and can easily pass dishes over the counter to the dining table side.

...Ask me again in 10 years when I have teenagers marathoning Silence of the Lambs while I'm washing dishes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

Don’t you open plan fans ever want to do something different from your spouse / family at the same time?

My what?

wooger posted:

I like listening to podcasts while cooking, and often escape the living room while my GF is watching anything reality on TV.

In my case the kitchen is open to the dining and general summer lounging and/or garden area, and through to the hallways. All the other rooms are rooms with walls and doors.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Bunch of homes in suburban New York and New Jersey have basement kitchens. A lot of blue collar families would do bulk canning, baking, and holiday cooking down there.

I want an outdoor/out back kitchen when I own my own home so I have space to do butchery. Something I can spray down easy, hard to do that on the inside kitchen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PRADA SLUT posted:

And that nice guest house behind the field.

Idk if this is supposed to be a joke about slavery or not, but I did say ‘New England’.

Actually, one of my friends growing up lived in a 19th Century farmhouse where the detached stable had been modified with secret tunnels and rooms and used to shelter runaway slaves via the Underground Railroad. I remember it being a massive safety hazard when I was a kid and we were prohibited from going into half of his backyard due to concerns with, like, ground stability and sinkholes. Eventually some historical society people came and spent 3 years digging up the yard and repairing it all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My bff lived in an old plantation mansion with a spooky spooky basement that had like 5-6 chambers but only the first chamber with the washer had electricity and lights so we never explored the basement depths. Too spooky!!!!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That all sounds really cool, minus the human trafficking angle.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
I've started seeing kitchens in garages around some of the new additions in suburban Indiana. A lot of these homes are being built by Indian families who spend a lot of their free time lounging around in their garage or driveway. They are pretty simple kitchens with not much more than a sink and a bit of counterspace. Not sure if it's a convenience thing or a second kitchen to be messy thing, but I really want one.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I've been living here for five months so far and not actually done any decorating yet. I'm now off work for a week and have started planning out what I want to do with the living room. Big floor to (almost) ceiling height book shelve/cabinet unit which will stratch across two (and a tiny section of a third) walls with a central space left open to mount a telly in. I'm excited for it and began planning and drawing up measurements today. The problem is I'm in a shared ownership property. There's a covenant in my lease which means stuff of this scale needs to be run by the land lord. I've called the housing agency and they said it shouldn't be a problem but to send them an e-mail and await sign off first. Turn around time of eight days. :(

I suppose I can do the painting now.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hi thread. Having spent the past 4 decades living in draughty victorian and medieval houses in England I am moving to a really modern place and am super excited. No more ice cold breeze and clanking central heating.

The new place is a rental and looks like this, and we are predictably going to furnish in a fairly modernist / MCM style. It seems huge to me but reading about average US home sizes it'll probably be about the size of a studio. I am sure you eagle eyed lot will notice it is not in the UK, the new place is in Lausanne which seems to be amazing.

I have a question about rugs. Not totally sure what the living area layout is going to be but likely similar to that floor plan. We have a new sofa on the way which is going to be in a darkish brown and with the dark oak floor I want something to lighten it up a bit. I don't really know what viscose is, is a 70% viscose / 30% wool rug going to be terrible? I was expecting 100% wool to be the thing.

Current favourite rugs are like this:
https://www.modern-rugs.co.uk/product/calvin-klein-maya-may07-zinc-rugs
https://www.modern-rugs.co.uk/product/ligne-pure-static-vanilla-beige-blue-rugs
https://www.modern-rugs.co.uk/product/villa-nova-hana-carbon-rg2024-rugs
They seem to get quite expensive for a suitable size.

(for PRADA SLUT aesthetics check the sofa is like this but they don't have the exact leather on the website: http://camerich.co.uk/range/sofas/crescent/deep-three-seat-sofa/
and coffee table is a classic G Plan circular one plus a Lamino easy chair)

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience/opinions about "through wall" exhaust fans? Like this? My kitchen needs one, but there's only about 16 inches available above the stove (between the window and cabinets) and even if I could find a range hood to fit, it would would be off center.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slate Slabrock posted:

Does anyone have experience/opinions about "through wall" exhaust fans? Like this? My kitchen needs one, but there's only about 16 inches available above the stove (between the window and cabinets) and even if I could find a range hood to fit, it would would be off center.

Most hoods I've seen that actually exhaust through the wall don't need an additional fan, you connect them directly to your ducting. I'd expect the thing you've linked to be used in bathrooms.

I'd be super hesitant about putting anything plastic that close to your stove top. Is there any space above the window to put in a hood? Can you move your cooker?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I got a reply back from the landlord. P. much told me I can do what I want with the place unless its a major structural change. Very happy until I started to work on the spot where I plan to wall mount the telly annnnnd... its hollow plasterboard. gently caress.

e: I've just heard back from some audio/tv techs I used to work with. They've pointed me in the direction of a few wall brackets suitable for plasterboard mounting and correct rawl plugs to use. Now I'm just waiting on hearing back from the timber merchant for a quote on materials.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 22, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

knox_harrington posted:

Hi thread. Having spent the past 4 decades living in draughty victorian and medieval houses in England I am moving to a really modern place and am super excited. No more ice cold breeze and clanking central heating.

The new place is a rental and looks like this, and we are predictably going to furnish in a fairly modernist / MCM style. It seems huge to me but reading about average US home sizes it'll probably be about the size of a studio. I am sure you eagle eyed lot will notice it is not in the UK, the new place is in Lausanne which seems to be amazing.

I have a question about rugs. Not totally sure what the living area layout is going to be but likely similar to that floor plan. We have a new sofa on the way which is going to be in a darkish brown and with the dark oak floor I want something to lighten it up a bit. I don't really know what viscose is, is a 70% viscose / 30% wool rug going to be terrible? I was expecting 100% wool to be the thing.

(for PRADA SLUT aesthetics check the sofa is like this but they don't have the exact leather on the website: http://camerich.co.uk/range/sofas/crescent/deep-three-seat-sofa/

Color doesn't bite.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

knox_harrington posted:

This will be difficult to get in the UK but you might find similar: http://www.dwr.com/rugs-rugs/memo-rug/9608.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=18

I have this: http://www.dwr.com/rugs-rugs/palani-kilim-rug/6041.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=31

e: or this, maybe a different color though: https://hivemodern.com/pages/product9657/melange-color-1-rug-sybilla-nanimarquina

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 22, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

those rugs are like the lacroix of design

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They're in Switzerland ya dingus

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
you could just go all out Roche bobois: https://www.roche-bobois.com/en-GB/product/l-oiseau-botte-rugs

Deviant posted:

those rugs are like the lacroix of design

https://www.designersguild.com/us/birds-sinfonia-crepuscule-cushion/p25400

hmm you might be onto something with chez oiseaux

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're in Switzerland ya dingus

the uk needs to stop naming provinces so unoriginally

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
eh the thing with rugs is that it's probably the last thing you get. If you have a dark floor and want a light rug, fine, but the patterning and size depend on what size of furniture you select and how you lay out the room. I have a ~geometry~ rug because the furniture is curvy so a triangular rug adds a bit of broken-up visual interest. colored rugs are fine because most people have neutralish furniture and the rug adds back that color to the room

its easy to get a rug that fits furniture anyway, I'd just get the furniture pieces you want, lay them out, then figure out a rug to go underneath it. you can also lay them out and then photoshop some rugs underneath to see what works

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I got a reply back from the landlord. P. much told me I can do what I want with the place unless its a major structural change. Very happy until I started to work on the spot where I plan to wall mount the telly annnnnd... its hollow plasterboard. gently caress.

e: I've just heard back from some audio/tv techs I used to work with. They've pointed me in the direction of a few wall brackets suitable for plasterboard mounting and correct rawl plugs to use. Now I'm just waiting on hearing back from the timber merchant for a quote on materials.

:siren: Now with pictures! (ish) :siren:

I've already marked out guide points on the walls while measuring the space for the cabinet. Since then I've started work on a basic model in Sketchup. This is a rough idea of what I have planned for the cabinet in the living room.

The bottom door leads to the hallway and the top door out into the garden. The large space on the left wall will house a television. The mirrored space on the bottom wall is to house a large model ship I have which I don't like the idea of leaving out in the open and exposed. It will be protected behind a sheet of clear perspex (also to prevent dust settling because that thing is a pain in the neck to clean).

Front view

As yet unfinished. I don't like the abrupt stop at the top of the cabinet so I'll likely add some kind of decorative cap. I'll be installing cornicing in this room too so the cap may be a reflection of the cornicing. I also still need to work out the design for the cupboard doors at the bottom.

Isometric view for the sake of it

The inner corner sections. I'm really not sure what to do here. The current plan looks awful. I might move the support beam inward toward the centre a bit more and add diagonal strips in the corners of the shelves. Not sure yet but am open to ideas.

e: I have just heard back from the timber merchant and he's quoted £111,000 for 14 planks of Oak. :psyduck: Meanwhile timber merchant number 2 quoted around £340.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 22, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jaded Burnout posted:

That all sounds really cool, minus the human trafficking angle.

Granted, the Underground Railroad was all about reverse human trafficking. Human untrafficing. DEATH ROAD TO CANADA YEEaaaaAaaaaaAAAAAAAAAH

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I have just heard back from the timber merchant and he's quoted £111,000 for 14 planks of Oak.

I would go with this one, yes it's a little bit more, but peace of mind on the quality.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I would go with this one, yes it's a little bit more, but peace of mind on the quality.

The tree in the first deal was a very respected cardiologist and ate a pure vegan diet his entire life before dying of natural causes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You don’t want to cheap out on the oak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
As the owner of a cream rug, I'd really consider the foot traffic. Mine is a busy pattern so stuff doesn't show up as much, but unless you're strictly shoes off it's going to show dirt very quick. I also got it with the intention of not having it around very long, like 2-3 years mostly because I want to move out of this place soonish.

I will say it's a fun rug to look at when you're :catdrugs: