Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/arkhamhorror/arkham-horror-the-card-game/_/the-forgotten-age/

Forgotten Age spoilers if anyone wants to see everything. I love Dark Prophecy and can't wait to find some fun things to do with it. Survival Knife has some real potential too I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
These weaknesses are real interesting. Some of them seem pretty brutal also.

Rogue continuing the tradition of just such "ehhhh, I guess" level 0 cards.

I really like Improvised Weapon for how well it marries mechanics and theme. Not convinced it's good though.
Same goes for Last Chance, but I'm pretty convinced it's good. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to turn this card into Unexpected Courage, and entirely possible to make it better.

Dr Elli let's you tutor Key of Ys, so that's certainly a thing I guess.

I feel like Yaotl might be really good, but very difficult to play well. Might also be golden in that Desperate Pete deck.

Reliable Lockpicks seem good.

Survival Knife is really good if you're going with the tanky type build like Yorick wants to do and Mark can pull off as well. Use them dogs + beat cop damage and now this to never actually take attack actions and still kill everyone.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Orange Devil posted:

Survival Knife is really good if you're going with the tanky type build like Yorick wants to do and Mark can pull off as well. Use them dogs + beat cop damage and now this to never actually take attack actions and still kill everyone.

I want to see a tanky Leo build with Survival Knife, Guard Dogs, Hired Muscle, and Armor of Ardennes.

Call it ‘One Man Army’.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Laughing a ton at “You Handle This One!”

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Laughing a ton at “You Handle This One!”

it's a great flavor card and maybe helpful but it's also a total dick card. It even gives you a resource!

I also think Reliable may see some use. Giving +1 to hit on a machete for instance seems solid, and 1 xp isn't too much.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mists of R'lyeh would be welcome in my solo Agnes deck for the action compression alone, and it also saves charges on Shriveling when you don't need to kill something.

The main problem is that you want Shriveling in one slot and Rite of Seeking in the other so it would be awkward to use. Book of Shadows (3) is an option, I suppose, and it also does something when you're not actually filling all three slots, which would happen pretty often given how hard it can be to draw the spells in the first place.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

it's a great flavor card and maybe helpful but it's also a total dick card. It even gives you a resource!

Not necessarily a dick card. If it's for a check that someone else is waaaaaay better than you at and failing it is harmful to the entire party then it's pretty beneficial all around.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Not necessarily a dick card. If it's for a check that someone else is waaaaaay better than you at and failing it is harmful to the entire party then it's pretty beneficial all around.

Oh sure but i'm likely just gonna use it to move corrosions and other stuff like that. Cause I will 100% be playing this card.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm wondering if you can actually use backpack in a deck. You need to consistently hit a ton of cards for this to be good, and I'm not sure that's possible.

Edit: mark harrigan can use stick to the plan to make sure he has improvised weapon from the start. That seems very corner case-y though as it will be a dead draw next time it comes up.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 8, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Jim sure is getting a lot of love lately.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

My friend liked Night of the Zealot and wants to go on to Dunwich. But with more generalized investigators in place of the Rex and Zoey wrecking crew.

I thought to give him Pete while I take Sefina. Jenny was my first choice but seems a little slow to get herself properly set.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Xlorp posted:

Jenny was my first choice but seems a little slow to get herself properly set.

It's exactly why she makes for a nice pairing with Pete! Duke is ready to do the job right off the gate, managing the scenario while Jenny sets up to be able to handle bosses and other major obstacles. It's a fun dynamic that's synergistic in a different way than the typical fighter-sleuth split.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Xlorp posted:

My friend liked Night of the Zealot and wants to go on to Dunwich. But with more generalized investigators in place of the Rex and Zoey wrecking crew.

I thought to give him Pete while I take Sefina. Jenny was my first choice but seems a little slow to get herself properly set.

There are some very lean Pete decks floating around yeah. This combo great with anything slow as you throw down your fire axe, iron horse and go.

Just remember that to make Pete work you need reliable card draw and/or some way of flushing your resources to activate iron horse. You can make dumb 'combo' Pete decks that have insane passive stat mods built around at Hubert's key but they are a bit clunky to get going.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's easy to go overboard on card draw with Pete though! I really like Rabbit's foot in that department: it's like a free Duke reset if you whiff a test with him, which feels good and consistent.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Sort of related to the Arkham Horror LCG, in the latest Eldritch Horror expansion they introduced 'personal stories' for all 55 investigators in the Arkham universe along with a campaign mode which lets you play the game a bunch of times in sequence, keeping various bonuses and penalties much like in AH. Anyway, some of the stories match concept to mechanics really well. Pete's is one of the more straightforward ones :

These are the requirements for success or failure (excuse my bad scans). Clues in EH are drawn randomly from a box and have a corresponding number which matches a location on the game board :

This is the sad Pete result :

And the happy Pete result :

I like how in each Arkham universe game the investigators all have pretty much the same motivations and stories even if they're only a couple of paragraphs on the back of the card. There's just enough world building to provide flavor without getting in the way of the different narratives you build each time you play.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Are there any good gameplay videos on YouTube or wherever? My wife and I are routinely getting beat down, even on Easy, and I think there's just some element of the game we're just not understanding. It would help to watch people who actually know what they're doing play.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

Funzo posted:

Are there any good gameplay videos on YouTube or wherever?

I quite like "The Whisperer in Darkness" on YouTube. He's got various gameplay vids for each of the scenarios and card reviews etc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Funzo posted:

Are there any good gameplay videos on YouTube or wherever? My wife and I are routinely getting beat down, even on Easy, and I think there's just some element of the game we're just not understanding. It would help to watch people who actually know what they're doing play.

Same here. Last time I played through The Devourer Below I was finally doing pretty well after like half a dozen attempts and felt like I'd finish in time. Then I hit all 3 copies of the card that adds a doom counter over 3 turns, the discard got shuffled back in and I hit all 3 again in a row. So that was a fun way to immediately lose a game I was winning otherwise. And now I'm getting flashbacks to Pandemic Legacy.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Arkham Horror giveth, and Arkham Horror taketh away.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

suicidesteve posted:

Same here. Last time I played through The Devourer Below I was finally doing pretty well after like half a dozen attempts and felt like I'd finish in time. Then I hit all 3 copies of the card that adds a doom counter over 3 turns, the discard got shuffled back in and I hit all 3 again in a row. So that was a fun way to immediately lose a game I was winning otherwise. And now I'm getting flashbacks to Pandemic Legacy.

Maybe you should do some pile shuffles prior to shuffling your cards ;)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zerf posted:

Maybe you should do some pile shuffles prior to shuffling your cards ;)

I'll try mana weaving next time.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Imo you kinda got to ignore bad results from Ancient Evils. It and Corrosion I think are easily the worst cards to have to deal with. Having 3 in the set is really extreme.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Ancient Evils is the encounter card you save all your cancellation effects for. While it might do absolutely nothing if you win the scenario with plenty of time to spare, oftentimes it reads "all investigators lose 3 actions" and then sometimes it adds various extra gently caress yous on top.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

Tried the first Forgotten Age scenario out last night and had some befuddlement—there’s an encounter card that gives you the choice to either ‘assign 5 damage to an ally asset’ or take direct damage. The Rules Reference says ‘An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount of damage it would take to defeat the card, and cannot be assigned horror beyond the amount of horror it would take to defeat the card.’ So does the excess damage spill over? Or can I not choose that option unless I have an ally that can take full 5 damage? If so that’s crazy, because there isn’t one outside of Brother Xavier with 2 copies of Trusted, and the way it’s worded doesn’t sound like you can spread it out on several allies.

Anybody else find a resolution for that question?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

Started a new campaign today with a couple goons and my former roommate. I'm playing as the painter (who is very fun) and we finished the first game with 8 exp earned.

I'm basically required to take Ace in the Hole now, right?

update: this worked hilariously well in our second scenario (first time with the card) and I expect I will never be able to duplicate it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I started from scratch and tried playing through the original campaign again with Mark and Pete. Holy crap, it's so much easier when your characters don't need 2 turns of setup just to be mediocre at doing anything. I realized my biggest weakness with Daisy and William was that somehow Daisy would always draw the monsters and Bill would always draw the tests he could never pass and I'd waste 2/3 of every turn just dealing with that stuff. I tried to build my new decks so they're not as susceptible to bad RNG, which I'm prone to getting. So now my characters are both more well-rounded and Pete is really good at support for whatever Mark isn't good at. Also, Duke's investigate ability is insanely good.

I got through the 2nd scenario with 2 turns left and the 3rd had 1 or 2 turns left on the 2nd last agenda. It doesn't hurt that I got 8 exp in the first scenario and 9 in the second one.

I am annoyed that the best possible outcome (I assume) still gives you 2 permanent horror damage, which really isn't something Mark can handle very well.

I think I'm gonna try the standalone scenarios tonight, see how badly I get killed.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also, I finally got Key of Ys in play (had it lost to corrosion in two scenarios in my hand twice previously, man I hate that card) and it's incredibly ridiculous. It makes Calvin Wright look even more silly with how weak they made him. +3 to all stats with some minor setup is obviously strong, but the drawback is very easy to mitigate (and honestly, even losing the key isn't too bad outside of a certain effect on an encounter card). I ran it on Ashcan Pete, but I figure it would easily work with any number of characters (barring Agnes). It's probably the most game-warping card (Delve probably being the most campaign-warping card).

Also I'm dying to try a lot of the new investigators. I knwo they haven't been out long, but has anyone gotten them around at all? We actually had someone die in our recent campaign so he busted out the new Guardian and he seemed to perform pretty well (also Survival Knife is a good card).

edit-Also yeah, Ashcan's great to pair with anyone who needs some setup to get going. The only issue he really has is since Survivor is such a generalist card set and he's not naturally focused, he doesn't have the top end power a lot of other characters do in group play imo (outside of certain builds abusing key/dark horse, and even the key builds are just "play key" which anyone could). Plus Survivor often doesn't make as good a use of XP as other classes since they're built around exiling a lot instead of having the high-end cards other classes get.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 14, 2018

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Obama 2012 posted:

Tried the first Forgotten Age scenario out last night and had some befuddlement—there’s an encounter card that gives you the choice to either ‘assign 5 damage to an ally asset’ or take direct damage. The Rules Reference says ‘An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount of damage it would take to defeat the card, and cannot be assigned horror beyond the amount of horror it would take to defeat the card.’ So does the excess damage spill over? Or can I not choose that option unless I have an ally that can take full 5 damage? If so that’s crazy, because there isn’t one outside of Brother Xavier with 2 copies of Trusted, and the way it’s worded doesn’t sound like you can spread it out on several allies.

Anybody else find a resolution for that question?

There's one line in the rules reference that says "All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an
asset must be assigned to the investigator", so I suspect it would spill over. That doesn't seem to jive with the flavor of the card, though, and I wonder if they meant to say to specify direct damage to an ally.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Bosushi! posted:

There's one line in the rules reference that says "All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an
asset must be assigned to the investigator", so I suspect it would spill over. That doesn't seem to jive with the flavor of the card, though, and I wonder if they meant to say to specify direct damage to an ally.

It looks like I answered my own question while looking into the completely different issue of if Survival Knife can trigger off of damage to your allies or just your investigator (it's the former).

It comes down to the difference between being 'dealt' damage and being 'assigned' damage. When 'you' get dealt damage, you can then choose to 'assign' that damage to your investigator and/or any of their controlled assets. In the case of the card I was asking about (Snake Bite, if you were wondering), the damage is being 'dealt' not to you but to one of your allies directly, meaning all of it goes on that ally and nowhere else.

It's a fine grain distinction, but the upshot is that the card works the way one would expect it to--you have a choice to either wound your Investigator with the snake bite or you kill off one of your disposable allies instead.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Does anyone think Leo can make reasonable use of Hired Muscle?

He can drop it as a zero cost free action when engaged by an enemy for the bonus fight or more efficient guard dog soak if you plan on ignoring monsters.

With the skull you could end up making money.

I suppose treasure hunter might be better for triggering guard dog. Drop down the hunter, investigate your location with a bonus as ghouls chow down on your allies and kill themselves.

It would also be decent calling in favors fodder, maybe?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone think Leo can make reasonable use of Hired Muscle?

Hired Muscle & Treasure Hunter are great with Leo! Compare them to Keen Eye, which is 2 Supply for +1 to a skill for a single phase. For the same price, Leo can get 3 turns of boost. They also make great fodder for triggering things like Decorated Skull or Survival Knife, and Treasure Hunter is good to have if you’re running Burglary.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Forgotten Age trip report time!

I was too excited by the new investigators to wait til I had all the Carcosa cycle packs purchased, so I caved and bought Forgotten Age a couple days ago. I put together an Ursula deck and finally indulged in a Zoey Samaras deck and set out into the jungle, playing on Hard.

The first scenario felt very thematic to me. The sense of exploring a threatening jungle is really strengthened by the Explore mechanic. I had some runs of bad luck where I would try to explore three times with Ursula, get three treachery cards, and then have to deal with whatever the encounter deck threw at me. Bad luck. Other than that, the explore mechanic is pretty neat and I'm sure would lead to dramatically different replays based on what locations are drawn when.

Ursula performed about as well as I expected when I put together the deck. Moving around and scooping up a couple clues each turn. Since she's gotta move she can leave a lot of enemies in the dust and let her partners pick up whatever clues get left behind or just loop around later and grab them. All she really needs in play to get going is a Fieldwork, Milan, or a Magnifying Glass.

Zoey, for her part did a lot of monster slaying. I took the time to get her fully equipped with a Machete, Fire Axe, her cross, and a Guard Dog and she was killing monsters before she even had to swing her machete at them. There are a handful of threatening monsters in this scenario, the most interesting being an Aloof archer that can shoot investigators from a connecting location.

I managed to get the "best" resolution with little stress. Zoey was pretty low in health and sanity, but Ursula was untouched. There's a goofy little interlude where investigators look at the supplies they took at the start of the campaign and have little bad things happen to them. The supplies are a neat idea, but this part in particular was a bit clunky. There are some cards that care about your supplies while in the scenario which felt a little cooler, definitely thematic. Of course, with foreknowledge, some of the more threatening negative results can be prepared for.

Scenario 2 was brutal. Ursula was mostly able to do her thing, leaving Zoey to get beat up by every monster ever. I didn't have the opportunities or the card draws to properly build up Zoey. Her only assets for the entire game were a Machete and a Guard Dog that died almost instantly due to some monster retaliations. She did manage to take down one of the big bads from the encounter deck, netting a victory point, but most of the points came from Ursula's restless explorations.

The conclusion of the scenario was a hilarious rush to the exit with important treasure in hand, a la Indiana Jones. Zoey stayed behind, clearing the way for Ursula to escape. Zoey was unfortunately driven mad by a giant scary snakeperson. A late draw of Smite the Wicked and the defeat by horror means Zoey will be going into Threads of Fate with 3 mental trauma (she got one from the stupid interlude between scenarios)!

I didn't have any of the new cards in the Zoe deck and I'm not sure which ones she likes. I'm thinking about swapping in the Survival Knife for the Fire Axe and maybe taking some other out of faction card. I had a few investigation tricks like Rite of Seeking and Flashlight which I think I may take out as well. Drawn to the Flame is probably enough for Zoey's clue gathering ability, since Ursula will be doing the heavy lifting there.

Anyways, I'm really impressed with all the new investigators. Ursula looked good in the spoilers, but plays even better. The scenarios are dripping with theme, as expected for Arkham Horror. I'm excited to see how the rest of the campaign plays out.

But yeah if anyone has any advice for my Zoey deck, that would be great!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

apophenium posted:

But yeah if anyone has any advice for my Zoey deck, that would be great!

I absolutely hate fire axe with Zoey because it eats up resources to do its thing and Guardian has lots of really good and expensive cards. Plus you are a Guardian, you have access to better weapons. There are enough monsters that reward you for ranged weapons or penalize melee that the hate for the .45 or .32 isn't justified.

You are right about not needing clues gathering when grouped with a seeker, especially not rite of seeking.

Splash cards I like with her:

Delve too deep
Sleight of Hand with .45 and flashlights (and much later, a lightning gun)
Ward of Protection
Drawn to the Flame (not needed with a seeker)
Fight or Flight lets you trivially kill bosses in the later half of missions
Shortcut helps deal with your weakness
Elusive is also good for dealing with your weakness
Double or Nothing if you plan on picking up a lightning gun. Also pack a bandolier to go with the lightning gun.

edit: I've not yet played Forgotten Age so all of this could be wrong despite playing a lot of Zoey.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 17, 2018

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I didn't know .32 was disliked? I always thought the "base" guardian package was 2x of machete, .32, guard dog, and vicious blow. And the upgraded .45 as a solid replacement for the .32.

And I used to think fire axe on Zoey was good but I've been convinced otherwise. As mentioned, guardians don't lack for solid weapon choices, and opening slots for your limited non-guardian cards is always useful. On the aforementioned list, Lucky is always a solid choice, especially since her ability should (at least initially) in fights make sure you have the money to spend to play it. I'd personally probably run some mix of Lucky, Ward, and Slight. Add Delves if you want to give up a bit of power early to help break the game later.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

alansmithee posted:

I didn't know .32 was disliked? I always thought the "base" guardian package was 2x of machete, .32, guard dog, and vicious blow. And the upgraded .45 as a solid replacement for the .32.

I hear a lot of people say that machete makes all other weapons superfluous. I feel like they ignore its pretty severe drawbacks of requiring an additional action for bonus damage if an ally is engaged (completely negating its action efficiency against 2 health enemies) and weakness against multiple monsters in larger parties.

.32 is great. .45 was good as a backup weapon before .32 came out and still has a home in some decks. As you mentioned, the upgraded version is very nice.

Agreed on lucky. I usually don't take it because we only have two cores and someone else usually needs it more. If that isn't an issue it is definitely worth considering.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Have any of you tried Backpack with Zoey yet?If you can get the item count up high enough it becomes ridiculously consistent.

Here's the base deck I've been considering using, and it has a link to a potential upgrade set.
https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/121675

It's meant to be used with a team and focuses solely on killing. After a game or two when you pick up Stick to the Plan and Ever Vigilant you should have explosive setups nearly every game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I hear a lot of people say that machete makes all other weapons superfluous. I feel like they ignore its pretty severe drawbacks of requiring an additional action for bonus damage if an ally is engaged (completely negating its action efficiency against 2 health enemies) and weakness against multiple monsters in larger parties.

Machete is great, but I wonder how much of its groupthink dominance is folks forgetting about the engagement clause when things get tense. I know I do that sometimes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I think Machete is the best weapon, but having some other options is also necessary. I'm aso wondering how much is solo vs. group play. In solo play, you're rarely gonna have multiple enemies or the need to engage them outside of just walking into them.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

You have to have two copies of two weapons just so you actually draw them. The exception is Pete who starts with duke in play.

I have no idea how you can reliably get a weapon without 4 copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

alansmithee posted:

I like it but it's hard to slot unless you play Mark, because of his great base combat. I find that combat 4 doesn't cut it (especially on hard, where you want to be 3 over test). But .32 certainly fills a gap which some other weapons currently doesn't do. There's no reason to run either Trench Knife or Blackguard. Survival Knife is a good addition to the Machete domination, and I actually think that it makes Guard Dog playable, which I didn't like before (it costs too much).