Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

This take is just unreal.

You're either young or you just didn't play PC games in the early-mid 90s. You may as well suggest that no one had heard of iD until Quake came out.

Check out young Clifford's first game for Epic (only ever played the shareware chapter of this though I bought Jazz Jackrabbit, his next Epic project, day 1.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctuV4ib0tg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm 32 and had never heard of it until a few years ago i think we're really stretching the word young here to prove a point

Look at it this way, cliff leaves epic in 2012. When looking for investors for his new studio in 2013-14 is he gonna tell them I'm the guy who made jazzy jackrabbit or is he gonna say i was the frontman for the studio that made unreal, unreal tournament, gears of war, and the unreal engine powers 75% of all games of the ps3/360 gen

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

Here's the mod, no clue if it works well enough to get rid of idtech5's horrendous texture pop-in.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5ub1fl/id5_tweaker_mod_released_120fps_unlimited_fov/

Thanks! This one works a charm. There's some texture streaming once you enter a new area but after a few seconds I don't see awful texture pop-in when looking around and got rid of the annoying micro-stutter I had.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ookiimarukochan posted:

You're either young or you just didn't play PC games in the early-mid 90s. You may as well suggest that no one had heard of iD until Quake came out.

Check out young Clifford's first game for Epic (only ever played the shareware chapter of this though I bought Jazz Jackrabbit, his next Epic project, day 1.)

Hell yeah I played the poo poo out of that as a kid but could never convince my parents to order the next episodes. It was on two of the different shareware discs that came with our Compaq 486 back in 94.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

saying that jazz jackrabbit was a studio-maker the same way doom was is like

that's pretty incredible

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, the studio had already been made before Unreal, off the backs of ZZT, Jill of the Jungle, Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall. There's no denying that the Unreal series and their engines are way more influential (and profitable) in the long term, but those earlier works certainly aren't things I'd be shy to mention alongside Unreal on my resume.

That said, the better id Software comparison for Jazz would be Commander Keen, not Doom.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Randomly found another Japanese FPS while watching YouTube. I feel like my appreciation for non standard FPS games is bleeding into this thread for once.

Another Bound Neo is made by Crystal Light Stage for windows XP. I believe it was made in 2006, but done quote me on that. It’s a metroidvania, taking most of its inspiration from Metroid Prime. It seems to be freeware so I might take this for a spin.
https://youtu.be/gpnJizd9e4E

http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3831.html for additional information and download link.

The website for this keeps setting off my malicious software alerts lol

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

saying that jazz jackrabbit was a studio-maker the same way doom was is like

that's pretty incredible

It's not to the same degree as Doom obviously, but Jazz Jackrabbit was not some unknown hipster garbage.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah like i'm really kind of confused that any of this is controversial, Jazz was basically Epic's Keen

Parachute
May 18, 2003
where does microsoft bob fit in to all of this?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Really, the only confusion I have is why Dare to Dream was brought up.

Saying Jazz Jackrabbit put Epic on the map, I can see - I might argue ZZT or Jill of the Jungle did it first, and few would argue that Unreal didn't do even better, but Jazz was definitely successful back in the day. I don't recall Dare to Dream being anywhere near that level of public awareness.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't believe Dare to Dream did well sales-wise, but it got young Clifford in touch with Epic, and as a result Arjan, resulting in Jazz and setting the stage for his next couple of decades until he left Epic in 2012.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

That said, the better id Software comparison for Jazz would be Commander Keen, not Doom.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah like i'm really kind of confused that any of this is controversial, Jazz was basically Epic's Keen

Yes, and you wouldn't say id is known for Keen, they're known for doom

The difference (for me at least this seems to be a disagreeable point) is in saying that you know someone did a thing and that someone is known for doing a thing

site fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 17, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Randomly found another Japanese FPS while watching YouTube. I feel like my appreciation for non standard FPS games is bleeding into this thread for once.

Another Bound Neo is made by Crystal Light Stage for windows XP. I believe it was made in 2006, but done quote me on that. It’s a metroidvania, taking most of its inspiration from Metroid Prime. It seems to be freeware so I might take this for a spin.
https://youtu.be/gpnJizd9e4E

http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3831.html for additional information and download link.

this looks cool. do you know if it gets uh, less gray later on?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Then there's also that other Epic Megagames published (1995) FPS everyone forgets about, RADIX: Beyond the Void. It's somewhat Descent-like, but with well-defined up and down and no fully free rotation.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think midair is probably going to tread water and slowly drown from the looks of it after a couple of weeks. it's faithful to tribes 2 to a fault and somehow also misses out on some essential things that 2 had, while also having quite possibly some of the least inspiring to look at aesthetics i've ever seen.

not to mention the weird free to play angle giving people trying out the game a super bad impression because it somehow manages to gently caress up the idea of giving players a solid, reliable kit to start with and also bogs it down with really extraneous and mildly unnecessary skill tree bullshit. for its faults, tribes: ascend was actually fairly solidly presented and fun to play, and it was mostly the lovely management in various ways that brought it down. midair doesn't even provide a solid experience that couldn't be better emulated by modded tribes 2, unlike ascend which did its own thing and was vastly more approachable for it which let it retain way more players for a while while still offering a distinctly tribes experience.

i give it maybe 6 months, but who knows, i'd like to be proven wrong

Sorry but this is a bad take, your subjective opinion is :wrong:

Midair is a really good game that offers surprisingly engrossing Tribes gameplay, the likes of which I did not realize I missed as much as I did. I had some issues with the physics of the game initially, because I was so used to how Tribes Ascend worked, given I played Ascend far more than any other Tribes game, but after a few matches I was able to re-adjust and get back into the groove in a big way. I don't notice anything missing from the game, it has vehicles and deployables, generators and defences, and all that you would expect in a Tribes game, so I'm not sure what you feel is missing there.

Their free2play model is actually really well thought out and fair. Everything that is gameplay related does not require any money, and can be unlocked through progression (through a well thought enough out skill tree), although you do have the option of paying a one time fee of $20 to skip the progression, which you get for free if you were in the early access. All the normal real money microtransaction stuff is limited to skins, voice packs, that sort of stuff. I think there's lootboxes too, because I got a pretty rad leopard print skin for my spinfusor ringlauncher for free, but I don't know how that works. So while it is a mess of everything and the kitchen sink for free2play mechanisms, it is a very fair and considered approach overall. Feels more like an Overwatch or a Rainbow Six Siege than your standard pay2win messes.

Midair isn't full of terrible hitscans, chains, or any of that stuff that was horribly balanced in Tribes Ascend. Everyone is using projectile weapons because they are what is most effective, which is how Tribes should work. Dumb abilities are super toned down too, nothing crazy like health regeneration like Ascend had. The result is a much fairer playing field across all the roles. My overall experience with Midair has been better than my overall experience with Tribes Ascend, so far.

So, while the game as actually amazing and you're wrong... The game probably has about two weeks left to live.

They're experiencing issues with their master server which makes it really hard to find populated servers. It's been broken since the weekend. So people trying out this new f2p game on a whim are getting faced with an empty server list and probably just assume it's DOA. Which it will be if they don't fix it ASAP, and even then I think the damage has been mostly done.

It really sucks because I was finally getting back to where I wanted to be enjoying the hell out of capping and chasing in Midair, and was ready to get back into playing Tribes regularly again. :(

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 17, 2018

Parachute
May 18, 2003
do they have midair: renegades or midair: ultra renegades mods yet?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They don't have a working master server yet. :negative: Baby steps.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

nielsm posted:

Then there's also that other Epic Megagames published (1995) FPS everyone forgets about, RADIX: Beyond the Void.
I was trying to think of its name the other day, so I didn't technically forget about it. :colbert:

Although now I want to say that Apogee released a similar game at some point, but it's probably Radix I'm thinking of there.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Only FPSes Apogee released were Wolfenstein 3D and the two Blake Stone games, before swapping over to 3D Realms for Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem 3D onward, so yeah, you're probably thinking of Radix again.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

this looks cool. do you know if it gets uh, less gray later on?

I haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I work 70ish hours a week so I’ll have to find some time. Like I mentioned, I only found out about it through another YouTube video randomly. If I get a chance I’ll post a trip report for sure.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RoTT was an Apogee game for sure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

RoTT was an Apogee game for sure.

RoTT is probably my favourite game to reminisce about but not actually play again. Maybe I just need a good source port, but every time I try and play vanilla RoTT, I never get very far before thinking "nah, I'm done".

And yet every time I think of the game, I'm filled with so much love for it. I mean, I loving loved it.

Perhaps these glasses of mine are so absolutely rose-tinted from all of the ludicrous gibs...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

Only FPSes Apogee released were Wolfenstein 3D and the two Blake Stone games, before swapping over to 3D Realms for Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem 3D onward, so yeah, you're probably thinking of Radix again.

Maybe they're thinking of Terminal Velocity, which is not an FPS but is somewhat similar to Descent in the way it looks and plays but does not contain the 6-degrees of freedom thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

RoTT is probably my favourite game to reminisce about but not actually play again. Maybe I just need a good source port, but every time I try and play vanilla RoTT, I never get very far before thinking "nah, I'm done".

And yet every time I think of the game, I'm filled with so much love for it. I mean, I loving loved it.

Perhaps these glasses of mine are so absolutely rose-tinted from all of the ludicrous gibs...

Did you play the Return of the Triad TC for zdoom? It's standalone and basically turns RoTT into a decent game by using decent level design. Amazing what non-90 degree angles and different sector heights does for playability :)

Also part of me is sad that 3D Realms never released that deluxe version with female enemies.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What did people think of the new World Tour levels for Duke? I picked up world tour for like five dollars which feels about worth it - its a pretty sloppy port that was clearly made for consoles and then ported over.

The actual levels though are GREAT. Good variety, lengthy without feeling like filler, a solid challenge throughout. The new enemy (and boss) and flamethrower are "not even good in a decent TC" bad, but that didn't impact my enjoyment.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Narcissus1916 posted:

What did people think of the new World Tour levels for Duke? I picked up world tour for like five dollars which feels about worth it - its a pretty sloppy port that was clearly made for consoles and then ported over.

The actual levels though are GREAT. Good variety, lengthy without feeling like filler, a solid challenge throughout. The new enemy (and boss) and flamethrower are "not even good in a decent TC" bad, but that didn't impact my enjoyment.

I'm not a big "port" connoisseur, so I didn't have any real negative impressions or opinions about World Tour--what felt sloppy about the port? It ran well for me, had zero crashes or stability issues, and looked fine.

Also the flamethrower kicks rear end and I'm pretty convinced that everybody who shits on it used it for about ten seconds before giving up on it. And that's coming from somebody who thought it looked dumb and almost gave up on it until I realized how powerful and useful it actually was. You can pretty much instantly stun-lock everything Enforcer & below with it, and you don't even have to remain focused on them--you can move on to the next target while they're burning to death.

The new boss is complete poo poo though.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I think I saw something say the Prime series itself sold 75-80% of their copies in the West.

According to VGChartz (so, grain of salt and all that), Prime sold 0.10m in Japan but 1.96m in NA out of 2.82m total.
Compare with Other M, which sold 0.13m in Japan.

So saying that 75% of the sales came from the West wouldn't be THAT big a stretch. Metroid has never been huge in Japan.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I just got to the third episode of Blood and I've got a bit of an issue - The Hell hound fire dogs.

If Caleb catches fire I'm basically dead and take HUGE amounts of damage that either kills me or takes me to around 1 health. Is there some command I'm missing to avoid that much damage. I had issues with the floating hands and then I read that you just press use a bunch of times to shake them. Anything like that if Caleb catches fire?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

So I just got to the third episode of Blood and I've got a bit of an issue - The Hell hound fire dogs.

If Caleb catches fire I'm basically dead and take HUGE amounts of damage that either kills me or takes me to around 1 health. Is there some command I'm missing to avoid that much damage. I had issues with the floating hands and then I read that you just press use a bunch of times to shake them. Anything like that if Caleb catches fire?
The quickest and easiest way is to find a pool of water and jump in it. (Bonus: Hellhounds die instantly if they touch water!). I asked around for other ways, and apparently flailing around like an idiot, crouching etc. might help, "but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a buggy version where the fire was impossible to shake off like the loving hell hands".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Kins posted:

The quickest and easiest way is to find a pool of water and jump in it. (Bonus: Hellhounds die instantly if they touch water!). I asked around for other ways, and apparently flailing around like an idiot, crouching etc. might help, "but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a buggy version where the fire was impossible to shake off like the loving hell hands".

Awesome, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Convex posted:

Did you play the Return of the Triad TC for zdoom? It's standalone and basically turns RoTT into a decent game by using decent level design. Amazing what non-90 degree angles and different sector heights does for playability :)

Also part of me is sad that 3D Realms never released that deluxe version with female enemies.

I played it a bit, can't remember a lot about it. I should probably boot it up again.

Wasn't it only something like 5 levels long, or am I thinking of something else?

I kind of really wish that RoTT had been able to call itself Wolfenstein 2 or something, but still keep all the crazy stuff in it; more press and noticeability (not a word) might've helped it not be that almost-half obscure FPS that not enough people played. And with a larger player base comes more community innovation.

Edit: I realize that RoTT isn't obscure, not like the multitude of Japanese FPSs that have been posted on these last few pages (that info really needs to go into the OP, btw!), but when you look at the heavy hitters from back in the day, RoTT is kind of tier 2, you know?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

I was trying to think of its name the other day, so I didn't technically forget about it. :colbert:

Although now I want to say that Apogee released a similar game at some point, but it's probably Radix I'm thinking of there.

Really, Radix is not that great either, the the controls feel rather floaty, and I can't get a good feel for my own bounding box size. The engine isn't true 3D, texture mapping feels somewhat muddy, and distant enemies seem to disappear too early. It's very much a Doom clone in zero-G, as Wikipedia also describes it.
The levels I replayed recently (part of the shareware episode) all seem to like narrow, vertical spaces, which are really annoying given that you don't have true 6df.

It's curious that the mission briefing screen actually has a mouse cursor and clickable options, but nothing else in the game has a mouse-controlled GUI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think another thing that keeps me from getting right back into classic RoTT is that I played the poo poo out of the shareware version, which was an entirely different set of maps compared to the retail version. I'm way more familiar with them, and it's just not the same, not going through those again.

I remember reading complaints about that ITT, but is there a way to patch them into the retail version? Or do I just play shareware through DOSBox for that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
A remixed version of the shareware episode is included with the registered version, it hunk you select it through the setup program? It's been a while...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

A remixed version of the shareware episode is included with the registered version, it hunk you select it through the setup program? It's been a while...
Yeah, the shareware levels are fully included as HUNTBGIN.RTL.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well drat, it really has been a long time. Any recommended source ports available for it?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah other than finding water you’re just screwed. The longer you stay in their fire stream the worse it’ll be for you so for fighting Hell Hounds you’ll want to be super mobile and jump around a bunch. Running straight at them and unloading shotguns into their face as you jump over their heads is a good tactic.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I was doing some cleanup to move my extra stuff and I found my box of Steel Battalion for OG Xbox.

Now THAT is a Japanese FPS I'd add to the list, since this was probably the most unique first person experiences I've had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgxRsaGdcA

It is also one of the most involved mech games I've played, though I haven't seen that HIGH-MACS simulator.

TerminusEst13 posted:

According to VGChartz (so, grain of salt and all that), Prime sold 0.10m in Japan but 1.96m in NA out of 2.82m total.
Compare with Other M, which sold 0.13m in Japan.

So saying that 75% of the sales came from the West wouldn't be THAT big a stretch. Metroid has never been huge in Japan.

I'm sceptic when it comes to VGCharts, but that honestly sounds true. Decided to do some reasearch myself and seems like Metroid really wasn't that popular in JP in the first place. Samus got popular again in JP once she made appearances in Smash/Meele games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Was that the one where you had to use a special eject button before your mech exploded otherwise you'd lose your save?