Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The fights in Ultron are pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked Deadpool 2 a lot, but to be honest it felt almost more stuffed than Infinity War, at least in terms of poo poo that I wanted more of and didn't get

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
T'Challa vs M'Baku is a pretty good fight scene because the choreography is good but it also gets over both characters. That's the important thing. Like the elevator scene works for me additionally because Cap asks if some guys wanna back out and he's fighting some pretty impossible odds, but he perseveres.

I don't find Tony Stank funny at all. I felt weird in the theater. Rhodey getting Bruce to bow to T'Challa and then immediately dunking on him for it was pretty great though. IW did a lot to get me back on War Machine's side. Cause I kinda hated him at the end of Civil War.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

CelticPredator posted:

The fights in Ultron are pretty awful.

This is the correct answer.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The Wakanda fight in Infinity War stands out because every other fight in the movie is great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deadpool 2 was pretty good. I enjoyed large parts of it more than the first but the ending, more specifically the post credits scene, really kinda shits on the movie for me. I mean I guess I'm glad Vanessa is back and all because I like the character, but way to loving undercut the entire emotional journey of the film and pretty much immediately ruin a hell of a great moment with them at the end. Could you not at least have waited for the next movie?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I watched a video criticising the fights in GotG and I guess most of them were pretty forgettable so I guess it probably makes sense for them to be bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DP2 was way better than I was expecting. I'm still not into the character when he approaches a Jim Carrey Mask kinda level, but there was a pile of ridiculous fun in there. The X-Force stuff was great.
For the emotional quotient, I was hoping that the movie would start undercutting it right from that James Bond title sequence, making fun of it's own maudlin, conventional plot point, so I'm happy the ending at least unfridged so flippantly.

Fox forever!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 18, 2018

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So one cool thing about Deadpool 2 my wife spotted, which I confirmed online today.

When X-Force die their horrible, horrible deaths, Vanish hits into a power line. As he's being shocked to death, he turns visible and you can see his fact for like half a second.
It's Brad Pitt.
Brad Pitt is the Vanisher.

I also loved the Gregorian chanting for when the Juggernaut shows up.

"Holy loving poo poo balls! It's the Juggernaut! Holy loving poo poo balls!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I haven't seen Creed but aren't the boxing scenes universally praised? I wonder if the big CGI battles are just outside of Coogler's wheelhouse or what, but in BP2 they definitely need to step up the quality of the action scenes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I haven't seen Creed but aren't the boxing scenes universally praised? I wonder if the big CGI battles are just outside of Coogler's wheelhouse or what, but in BP2 they definitely need to step up the quality of the action scenes.

Creed has a one-shot boxing scene that’s incredibly well done, but I can see how directing amazing boxing wouldn’t carry over 100 percent to a superhero movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The best fight in any of the Marvel movies is the Dormomu bargain, don't @ me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even in the comic books themselves where the creators can make anything happen and superhero comics are literally founded on providing action an actual great action scene is hard to come by.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Creed has a one-shot boxing scene that’s incredibly well done, but I can see how directing amazing boxing wouldn’t carry over 100 percent to a superhero movie.

For sure, so maybe it would better serve the movie to have more, uh, intimate fight scenes rather than mandated 3rd act CGI clusterfucks but you takes the bad with the good I guess.

I mean, before Thor showed up, the Wakanda battle was kind of lovely (though it had some standout moments) especially compared to the battle on Titan, which was much smaller in scale. I would say the Wakanda battle is probably the best of the massive CGI spectacle battles but it's still pretty boring when it's just cutting between shots of individual heroes fighting a bunch of CGI monsters.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 18, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just come back from watching Deadpool 2, it is so good and you need it in your life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're all a bunch of behinds-the-scenes-knowing smug smarks but kids aren't

Also lol at the last lady for still holding a grudge.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kids are lamer than ever

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

zoux posted:

I was worried this might hurt it's critical reception/word of mouth but nothing can stop it at this point. I do feel bad for the kids who watched Spider-Man loving die and were left with no assurance other than their corny rear end parents saying "I'm sure it will be fine"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
as a 32 year old who grew up with disney absolutely loving me up with death in its movies, i'm glad children are still having their hearts ripped out by mickey and co.

sadly they're not going to come to appreciate its permanence once whoever else gets a hold of the gauntlet tho

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I had children audibly sobbing in my theater.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soul Glo posted:

as a 32 year old who grew up with disney absolutely loving me up with death in its movies, i'm glad children are still having their hearts ripped out by mickey and co.

sadly they're not going to come to appreciate its permanence once whoever else gets a hold of the gauntlet tho

Admittedly it's been like 20 years since I've since the old school Disney animation movies but I don't remember the protagonists dying and the bad guy winning at the end of any of them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

site posted:

Admittedly it's been like 20 years since I've since the old school Disney animation movies but I don't remember the protagonists dying and the bad guy winning at the end of any of them

I remember a kid being dragged wailing out of homeward bound wailing "Where's Sounder? Where's SOUNDER? HE DIDN'T MAKE IT?" just bawling screaming his eyes out, and literally second the door shut from him being dragged away, Sounder limps over the horizon. My mom was really mad at me for laughing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

zoux posted:

This is amazing, the mother turned into a gibbering mess by a superhero movie

quote:

What advice would you give other parents who might end up with a very sad child after Infinity War?
I wouldn't tell them to go see it the first place. I really don't have anything nice to say about that movie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kids getting to see favorite characters get killed is good. Like the entire generation traumatized by Optimus dying is now traumatizing the next by killing Spider-Man.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
You never met someone who hates sad movies or down endings because they don’t go to the movies to feel bad?

It’s easy to look down on an attitude like that, but I really don’t have a problem with someone saying real life sucks enough, I don’t need to pay $15 for a movie to remind me about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, that's basically why people hated most of the DC movies, or the Hydra-Cap run on Captain America.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Omnomnomnivore posted:

You never met someone who hates sad movies or down endings because they don’t go to the movies to feel bad?

It’s easy to look down on an attitude like that, but I really don’t have a problem with someone saying real life sucks enough, I don’t need to pay $15 for a movie to remind me about it.

look man there's all sorts of adam sandler movies for simple folk who wanna turn their dang brain off and not feel anything but stupid warmth for 90 minutes

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I had to watch Artax loving slowly drown in a swamp with Atreyu sobbing and screaming for a full 45 minutes, I think kids will be able to handle it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was kind of worried that watching a sobbing Spider-Man die would gently caress up my 5 year old, but I had a talk with him after and he was unaffected, which is a little troubling on its own but I mainly just explained that it would be fine.
It helped that they faded away instead of just dropping dead, as is it looked like teleportation or something anyways

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Most people I know quite like sad or maudlin movies. But I thought it was more amazing Marvel have set up a series of movies that really made this woman care about the characters to the point she's pissed off at Infinity War. Rather than, as has been said, DC that has made people pissed off at their sad films for different reasons.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I bawled my eyes out at 7 when my folks took me to Terminator 2 and Arnold got melted at the end, but I turned out fi-

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
All children's movies must have the protagonist die and lose at the end to teach them that the world is a hellscape and everything you will do in life is in the end meaningless

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I had children audibly sobbing in my theater.

I had children asking their dads what happened but they were audibly sobbing.

Some parents were also, clumsily, explaining to their children that sometimes evil wins.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

:lol: at adults who can't process that movies can be sad and can't parent their children for their tears over dead fake people in spandex

e: the only movie i've ever cried at was the green mile when they killed john coffey, but i do have friends who loving cry at commercials, so i get it, i guess, but still, it's a comic book movie, c'mon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did your kids handle it well

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

site posted:

Did your kids handle it well

lmao good one, having children, preposterous

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Having children in 2018 is dumb.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Having children in 2013 seemed like a good idea

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As a wise non-kid haver, I don't know how the MCU plays with the young set. Are most kids bonkers for Marvel superheroes like we were for [era appropriate kid thing]?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I let out an audible 'oh no" when peter starting disintegrating and I'm a 30 year old man. I can see why some kids would get upset.

Although rewriting an action movie's script to be different because kids might get upset is really dumb.

• Locked thread