Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

lofi posted:

quote:

Excessive or lustful kissing, particularly when one character or the other is a "heavy". 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was wondering what "heavy" meant there, but as far as I'm concerned the matter is now resolved.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

lofi posted:

But surely there's a difference between 'I don't want to read it' and 'it is a bad thing'?
To an extent, sure. Though most judgements of the quality of a work, I think, can be reduced to subjective considerations of what one likes and doesn't care for.

Randaconda posted:

I hate it because real life doesn't operate like that. People get away with being shitheads all the loving time, and art should reflect life.
I'd suggest instead that art should be better than life. If you want something exactly like life, you can just go out your front door.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Chinatown works on two levels because no one was held accountable in either the film or real life.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Strudel Man posted:

To an extent, sure. Though most judgements of the quality of a work, I think, can be reduced to subjective considerations of what one likes and doesn't care for.

I'd suggest instead that art should be better than life. If you want something exactly like life, you can just go out your front door.

What’s it like being a Nielsen panelist?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Another problem is prevalence of the Well Made story. Every narrative, especially for Hollywood movies, must have a tidy ending with proper levels of set up and pay off to feel like "good writing" now. If it doesn't follow the three act structure, people immediately jump to the writing being lazy or bad. I think this feeds into that idea of the morality of stories, where people feel if the "bad guy" doesn't receive karmic justice, then the story didn't do it's job.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That is confusing multiple issues. Not to say there aren't a pile of bad armchair critics out there who conflate the two, but writing CAN be objectively bad. There is objective value in all forms of art and creative pursuits beyond the subjective value people ascribe to w/e piece. Whether somebody assumes that 'good' writing inevitably involves bad guys being punished for being bad is a whole seperate thing. (it's also dumb as hell)

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The differentiation between subjective and objective critique is fuzzy at best, and the most easily defined objective measures usually deal with technique rather than content.

This started with talking about a comic being bad for being meandering, ignoring that it was meant as an emotional observation rather than a tight narrative, though, so I feel like talking about the prevalence of well made narratives fits.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey you guys could you please stop being so meanful?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Discuss this:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whose wig is it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

heres a morality tale you weirdos

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Agent355 posted:

Is any of that profound? Is any of that really an insight to any except the most dense bricks of people? But no you go ahead and enjoy your pretentious art comic.

E: to be clear I LOVE art/media with a message. It's like my favorite thing. But you gotta put some effort into it, you can't just make a surface level comment, surround it in some pretentious presentation and then call it good. This is every bit as bad as every other 'I am 14 and this is deep' piece of dreck.

Go back to that subreddit then

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Loucks posted:

What’s it like being a Nielsen panelist?
It's all right, thanks for asking.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

The differentiation between subjective and objective critique is fuzzy at best, and the most easily defined objective measures usually deal with technique rather than content.

This started with talking about a comic being bad for being meandering, ignoring that it was meant as an emotional observation rather than a tight narrative, though, so I feel like talking about the prevalence of well made narratives fits.

I got lost somewhere around the middle of the comic and started skimming, missed that it started going back in time and suddenly saw shouty man show up again. It felt a bit Zen Pencils, it thinks spending a long time making a point is the same as making it well.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Thank you for posting a funny comic in the "post a lot of words about comics" thread

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Why a pig instead of a sheep. What are you even doing here.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
A capitalist pig maybe?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RJWaters2 posted:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Elfface posted:

I got lost somewhere around the middle of the comic and started skimming, missed that it started going back in time and suddenly saw shouty man show up again. It felt a bit Zen Pencils, it thinks spending a long time making a point is the same as making it well.

The mistake is thinking it's making a point the way you're thinking. Like, as people have said, it's totally fair if people don't like it. That's a fair opinion. But it's not moralizing or making some "deep point". It's just loose vignettes showing that people change. It's really not trying to be high art, and you don't have to condemn it for failing to meet some standard you imagine it's trying to reach.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Three funny and good comics all at once, holy moly! I think I need to sit down.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
terminal velocity baby batter

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RJWaters2 posted:

The three little pigs built houses

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

heres a morality tale you weirdos

Philippe Caza. That poo poo blew my mind in the best way when I was about 15-16.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pondex posted:

Philippe Caza. That poo poo blew my mind in the best way when I was about 15-16.

heck yeah! I remember reading through the whole album of these "suburbian tales" that my dad had and some of them I thought "this one I will have to read in a few years because I don't get it"

Love his physical, shaped, textured art. You can tell the Moebius/Giraud inspiration but it's more cartoonish and, uh, "bulbous":pwn:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

heck yeah! I remember reading through the whole album of these "suburbian tales" that my dad had and some of them I thought "this one I will have to read in a few years because I don't get it"

Love his physical, shaped, textured art. You can tell the Moebius/Giraud inspiration but it's more cartoonish and, uh, "bulbous":pwn:

Yeah, I think I brought that same album home from the library a dozen times or more.

Like Moebius with a bit of Cronenberg mixed in.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

To be the slow one in the thread, what am I jot getting?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Foul Ole Ron posted:

To be the slow one in the thread, what am I jot getting?

What's there to get? It's weird underground comics. This one pokes fun at boring bougie people.

It doesn't have to be your thing.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Volcott posted:

Chinatown works on two levels because no one was held accountable in either the film or real life.

Three levels.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

gleebster posted:

Three levels.

Which level am I missing? I wanna get in on level three.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

~*meaningful*~

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
How is life a lie?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Volcott posted:

Which level am I missing? I wanna get in on level three.

The actual people who were behind water distribution in California were never held accountable. They made huge fortunes, which they passed on to their unworthy heirs.

Or maybe you were forgetting Roman Polanski's unwelcome penis in the anus of a crying 13-year-old.

Either one is a perfect third level.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fantastic Flyer posted:

How is life a lie?

You can't spell "life" without spelling "lie". :v:

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,