Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

in 30 years ya'll are gonna be confused old men when your grand childen covet the Taurus X, or the first gen prius.

Hummer H2s, jellybean Taruses, first gen Excursions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

"Grampa, why didn't you buy a Cadillac ELR when there were $20k discounts on them? they're work $4 million dollars now!"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Them jellybeans can be blamed on the 90s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

H2s are already becoming cool because of how utterly balls to the wall insanely retarded they are

If I wanted a giant SUV that drank like a depressed Irish Catholic I'd totally get an H2 over a bitchmade Escalade.

GM should kill Cadillac and bring Hummer back.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding thr cars of 10 to fiteen years ago, one thing that fascinates me but which I'm not really qualified to speak about is the depiction of "old" cars in media. Like, it seems like "old car" still means a late 60s early 70s muscle car, or at least it's lingered longer than it should have. Like, way after young people were owning and hot roding these cars, they're still being used in movies in what are now anachronistic positions. Some of it is because they're iconic, some of it because the movie makers are old's, but some of it is I don't know what.

Like, where's the movie where a poo poo teenager is wrenching on the last gen of the old camaro, or whatever? (Nowhere because no one gives a poo poo about 90s pony cars).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

boomers are still well in control of modern media, and to them "20 year car" will always be something from the 60s.

There are obvioulsy rare exceptions.

https://www.imcdb.org/m1276104.html

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Jack B Nimble posted:

(Nowhere because no one gives a poo poo about 90s pony cars).

The Mustang was a turd but the fourth gen f-body owned and still owns.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wheeee posted:

The Mustang was a turd but the fourth gen f-body owned and still owns.

good drivetrain but the rest of the car was ugly and bad

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just watch a TV auction. The entire thing is one big boomer circle jerk. This is of course because they've hoarded all the wealth and are desperately trying to regain their youth

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

good drivetrain but the rest of the car was ugly and bad

The final couple years looked good and the WS6 Trans Am in black looks wicked. They also handle extremely well, at least on smooth pavement because lol live axle.

They were still a GM product tho so there's probably like, ten, still kicking around in which all the electronics work.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If I had money, I'd open a car museum for cars from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that nobody ever preserved.

I would call it the Malaiseum

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In 1960, there were 73 million registered vehicles on the road. In 2016 there were 263 million.

With almost 4x the number of vehicles on the road, there's just not going to be the same mystique around "classic" vehicles. There are too many of them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

In 1960, there were 73 million registered vehicles on the road. In 2016 there were 263 million.

With almost 4x the number of vehicles on the road, there's just not going to be the same mystique around "classic" vehicles. There are too many of them.

I don't think you are fully appreciating the majesty of the Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but most of them were filler. Ford sold 1.4 million 65-66 mustangs they haven't sold that many in the US from 05-present combined.

Once you take out the appliance cars nobody will ever care about, there's probably fewer worth owning from 2016 than there is from 1960.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think you are fully appreciating the majesty of the Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet.

The last cool car Nissan made.

I still love it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but popular models sold a lot individually. The 66 Chevelle for example, because I happen to have the numbers, produced something crazy like 471,000, almost all of which were domestic. Of course, most rusted to oblivion.

I assume there was much less competition and choice, modern cars don't seem to turn numbers like that, do they?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

If I had money, I'd open a car museum for cars from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that nobody ever preserved.

I would call it the Malaiseum

You might be interested in the Lane motor museum: https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, but popular models sold a lot individually. The 66 Chevelle for example, because I happen to have the numbers, produced something crazy like 471,000, almost all of which were domestic. Of course, most rusted to oblivion.

I assume there was much less competition and choice, modern cars don't seem to turn numbers like that, do they?

Ford sold almost 900k F-150s alone last year, with 2 other trucks selling over 500k, and that's only in the US. Several cars sold over 300k units as well.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Ford sold almost 900k F-150s alone last year, with 2 other trucks selling over 500k, and that's only in the US. Several cars sold over 300k units as well.

Wow, I stand corrected.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You might be interested in the Lane motor museum: https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

Not one picture of the giant wtf military floating transport on the homepage. That place is awesome sauce.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

One of the few things made in the past few years that is so, so very bad it kinda wraps back around to being awesome. In a terrible way. Being rare helps.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Like the Aztek, the Caliber was another car that was too far ahead of its time...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Look at this guy, scared of a little wind :smug:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I don't care what anyone thinks, I want a 5.0L mustang in the worst way. It would own to have two variants of the same engine in two vehicles. My truck sounds fuckin great and my car sounds like poo poo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BloodBag posted:

I don't care what anyone thinks, I want a 5.0L mustang in the worst way. It would own to have two variants of the same engine in two vehicles. My truck sounds fuckin great and my car sounds like poo poo.

Doooo it. Car is stupid fun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want one too. :saddowns:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I like the mustang, it looks great, but from a handling perspective the camaro blows it away. I wish GM would make a car with the camaro's guts, but which isn't hideous to look at and see out of.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I like the mustang, it looks great, but from a handling perspective the camaro blows it away. I wish GM would make a car with the camaro's guts, but which isn't hideous to look at and see out of.
So, ATS-V?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The last time I drove a Camaro SS, it felt like it was trying to kill me in every corner. If that is BETTER handling than the Stang, I don't want to go anywhere near that thing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It also has an almost entirely useless trunk which hurts the ability to use it as an only car, and if it's going to be an extra vehicle for funsies then gently caress it get an MX-5 or a used Cayman or something really pure.

It's actually impressive how much GM miscalculated and hosed up with that platform, as seen in the demise of the rather unloved ATS.

That shade of blue posted above is gorgeous too, Ford really has some of the best paint colours among mainstream manufacturers.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In the real world the Mustang is a way more livable car than the Camaro in almost every way. Who cares about some faster lap times when driven at 10/10 when you can't see out of the drat thing or put more than a backpack in the trunk. The Mustang GT is still a loving fast car that handles well in normal circumstances and looks good doing it.

quote:

if it's going to be an extra vehicle for funsies then gently caress it get an MX-5 or a used Cayman or something really pure.

Precisely.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Wheeee posted:

It's actually impressive how much GM miscalculated and hosed up with that platform, as seen in the demise of the rather unloved ATS.

Rear leg room and some interior details are what killed the ATS. The legroom is lulz tiny in the standard wheelbase ATS sedan, which is why the coupe is sticking around and the sedan is dying. The rest of the world should have gotten the LWB Chinese market ATS-L, but no.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The lack of cooled seats took the ATS off my potential list. I know it's a picky thing, but it's pretty much a necessity for me.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Not that one! A different one, that they didn’t make!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The lack of cooled seats took the ATS off my potential list. I know it's a picky thing, but it's pretty much a necessity for me.

Same. That and the piano black plastic capacitive touch center stack. Ugh.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Cooled seats are probably the most surprising favorite feature about my SS (the LS3 and magical magnetic ride shocks were not surprises). Cloth seats are fine, but I don't think I'd do leather again without active cooling.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

YOLOsubmarine posted:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That one is too boring looking. Is it an Impala or Malibu???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

heffray posted:

Cooled seats are probably the most surprising favorite feature about my SS (the LS3 and magical magnetic ride shocks were not surprises). Cloth seats are fine, but I don't think I'd do leather again without active cooling.

Same. Never had them before and I got them in my truck. I thought I wouldn't care, but a black truck in Texas heat, those things own bones.

fknlo posted:

That one is too boring looking. Is it an Impala or Malibu???????

My buddy with the 700hp one gets that question all the time "is that the new malibu?"