Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

jaegerx posted:

It always weirds me out when I see people working from a laptop remote with a full size mouse. Are the touchpads that bad when you don’t use Apple?

That and loving touch screens on laptops. No tech ever said please touch my clean screen with your greasy finger to show me the thing you’re talking about.

The touchpad on my lenovo makes me want to throw the device into the wall. It's indescribably bad, especially coming off a Apple laptop for the past decade. I really don't understand how a company can sell a modern $3000 laptop with what feels like a dirty ball mouse as its trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Speaking of Lenovo, looking into buying a T480, fully loaded for ~$1500 thanks to the employee perks code and the memorial day sale. It's either that or a Dell XPS 15--I can't decide between the two, though the Dell will be more expensive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
man i booked PTO off at a perfect time apparently

I keep reading updates from work like "4th floor okay, 8th floor fixed, meeting room back online" and I'm just sitting at home day drinking

also a plus is that I had absolutely nothing to do with this fuckup

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I got a Lenovo 720S with an Nvidia GPU for ~700$ a few months ago for travel and could not be happier. Lightweight, nice build quality, fairly powerful. I'm not thrilled by the keyboard, but for an ultrabook and the price it's good enough.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Our physics dept needed something beefy for their sims and data crunching, so we doubled the order and outfitted our IT dept with HP Z230 workstations :getin:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just arranged some RMA's to be delivered on Monday when the customers won't be in due to a public holiday :shrug:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Ironblood posted:

Speaking of Lenovo, looking into buying a T480, fully loaded for ~$1500 thanks to the employee perks code and the memorial day sale. It's either that or a Dell XPS 15--I can't decide between the two, though the Dell will be more expensive.

My boss wanted me to pick out my workstation, and I gave him the option of t480, t460, and a couple of lower end lenovos just to see what he would pick.

He got me the 480 :getin:

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Captain Ironblood posted:

My last update was from a Lenovo T530 to an XPS 13 and I love it. I have no complaints at all about the XPS and it's so much nicer than lugging around that big rear end Thinkpad. I was pretty happy with the T530 overall though and the XPS just barely won out over an X1.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"So... you're going to pay a sales guy $120k a year but spending $10/month to backup his laptop to the cloud is too much?"

:smith:

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

96 Port Hub posted:

My last update was from a Lenovo T530 to an XPS 13 and I love it. I have no complaints at all about the XPS and it's so much nicer than lugging around that big rear end Thinkpad. I was pretty happy with the T530 overall though and the XPS just barely won out over an X1.

I figure the Thinkpad would be better for work, and the T480 is nice and slim. 32GB of ram for my VMs and the GPU I can use for pen testing. I already have a tricked out desktop so I'm not worried about gaming or anything of course, which is where I was leaning with the XPS 15 and the Nvidia 1050.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The economy's humming right now so IT should be flush. The key is upgrading everything right before a recession so you're not crippled with old hardware for the next 3 years. AT&T didn't do that and I spent 3 years scrounging to keep 5 to 6 year old machines running. I got grief for bringing in my own LCD monitor because all they had were rooms and rooms of washed out CRT's with funky horizontal lines running through them. Someone would leave and their desktop would get stripped to the bone before support could retrieve the hardware. No RAM ever made it back to inventory.

And then suddenly I had two 4ghz desktops because they finally approved an IT budget.

Current job has a perfectly good desktop, but they're upgrading everyone to laptops even though I do nothing that requires mobility.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The Macs are so expensive nonsense falls flat once you look past the sticker. To outfit as nice of a machine from any vendor is within $200 of a MacBook. And the fit and finish on the Mac is most likely still way better.

Also if you are legit doing dev work in windows I’d fire you*. And if someone made me work on windows without the option to wipe it for Linux would cause me to quit.

*Poor schlubs that suckered into .net excepted. Barely. Also I’m exaggerating, but why are you doing that to yourself.....

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yet another reason that I'm glad I don't work with or for you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

freeasinbeer posted:

And if someone made me work on windows without the option to wipe it for Linux would cause me to quit.

Good to know.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I had an interview for an SRE role last Friday. They said I was 1 of 2 candidates, and that I would hear back by today, the following Friday.
It is now 11am, at what point do I assume I didn't get it since I haven't heard anything? :ohdear:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alfajor posted:

I had an interview for an SRE role last Friday. They said I was 1 of 2 candidates, and that I would hear back by today, the following Friday.
It is now 11am, at what point do I assume I didn't get it since I haven't heard anything? :ohdear:

5pm

Unless their HR department is a mess. Then it's 5pm but 3 weeks from now, because of paperwork issues.

V :flipoff:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

^- :argh:

5:01 pm

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Ok, i guess I'll chill for a while.

Next question: Let's assume I get the offer before 5pm. I'm ready to accept it. Do I put in my notice at current job today, or next Monday?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alfajor posted:

Ok, i guess I'll chill for a while.

Next question: Let's assume I get the offer before 5pm. I'm ready to accept it. Do I put in my notice at current job today, or next Monday?

Get an offer with signatures on there then resign.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

[Edit: ^^^ yeah, I would wait until you get a written offer letter although they aren't exactly ironclad (as I've proven again and again in this thread, IANAL)]

I think you're thinking the way this works is a lot more rigid than it actually is. You put your notice in when you are comfortable. They said they'd contact you today and while it's not a great sign they haven't already, it's not a sign that you didn't get the job either. The person(s) doing the hiring may have had something come up, they may be waiting for something internally, they may be waiting on another candidate for something, etc.

If you don't hear back today when they said you would, I'd maybe shoot them an email over the weekend (or on Monday) to see how things are going, maybe phrase it like "just wanted to let you know that I am still interested and am available to questions or additional discussions if necessary."

Hiring people can be just as awkward and messy as getting hired. Try not to let the process get to you too much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

^- :argh:

5:01 pm

If the job is in one time zone, but HR is in another...

7:00pm.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The touchpads that count as a "Precision Touchpad" which means Windows sees the touch surface of the pad rather than a driver turning scrolls into scroll-wheel entries are good - my Dell XPS has one. Good luck finding it on a spec sheet anywhere though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

freeasinbeer posted:

The Macs are so expensive nonsense falls flat once you look past the sticker. To outfit as nice of a machine from any vendor is within $200 of a MacBook. And the fit and finish on the Mac is most likely still way better.

I'll agree the Mac's are too expensive thing isn't really true anymore. They dropped their pricing a lot. Years ago though a same spec Dell Latitude was half the price of a MBP though. It's not anymore but that stigma has stuck with Apple since.

My biggest issues with Apple are 1) They give zero fucks (possibly negative fucks) about enterprise customers. 2) Support options are hot garbage, as is any sort of field repairability. We stopped supporting them years ago from a hardware perspective. If you choose to buy a MB for work and something goes wrong, your rear end is going down to the Apple store to get it fixed (or you can mail it in yourself). 3) loving dongles.

I don't really care if people use them, we're moving to an environment where we're using more and more web apps or Citrix to deliver things to end users, so I don't give a poo poo about the hardware at all anymore. Supporting the hardware in a large enterprise environment blows though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If someone dickhead employee formated his Windows 10 work laptop with linux, he'd be fired so fast. Just use the tools the company gives you and do your job. It's not hard.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

If someone dickhead employee formated his Windows 10 work laptop with linux, he'd be fired so fast. Just use the tools the company gives you and do your job. It's not hard.

If an employees manager thought that the employee could do all of his job responsibilities on linux, I don't really care.

I won't provide the computer, I won't support the user, and they won't have access to the internal network. Basically, they'll be treated like a remote user on their home computer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah people don't have that option here. It's Windows 10 on your HP desktop or laptop or nothing. We don't give out options. That decision was made from the top down. We're a tiny IT shop and can't support everything. We need standards.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My current company is very Microsoft product oriented, so I'm sure trying to use a Mac or Linux would just kill my ability to do my job. Also, really not interested in learning to use a new OS as an end user.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Yeah people don't have that option here. It's Windows 10 on your HP desktop or laptop or nothing. We don't give out options. That decision was made from the top down. We're a tiny IT shop and can't support everything. We need standards.

We have a standard laptop, standard desktop and standard windows 10 image. All IT issued computers follow those standards.

While this hasn't come up for linux, we have had a couple people try to request Macs. The response has always been, "We provide a standard workstation and are unable to provide support for any hardware that does not follow that standard."

No-one's tried to push it yet.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If I was a help desk dude, whatever I’d use what they wanted but at the kinds of positions I am looking at and the pay I command means I get to be much pickier. At this stage in my career I’d honestly get looked down upon if I used windows because it is so uncommon.

All of my work is both in the cloud, and on Linux. The people I directly interact with all use Linux or Mac, I am not in the same day to day world some of you all are.

And if I had to struggle with Windows for reasons just because, I’d leave and have another job that paid better the next week.

Furthermore if I interviewed at a place like that I’d also use it as an indicator that the place I am looking at working might have other massive downsides that I’d want to avoid. There are most likely systemic issues that I’d need to fight against and very likely the company is interviewing me based on a buzzword, and not ready to make the changes so that I can be effective.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skipdogg posted:

I'll agree the Mac's are too expensive thing isn't really true anymore. They dropped their pricing a lot. Years ago though a same spec Dell Latitude was half the price of a MBP though. It's not anymore but that stigma has stuck with Apple since.

They just released (well in 2016) the most expensive MacBook Pro ever!

8GB/128GB 13" MBP is $1299

The stupid loving touchbar one is $1799

16GB/256GB 15" is $2399

The Dell XPS 13 8GB/256GB is $1149
The Dell XPS 15 8GB/256GB is $1399
The 16GB/512GB model is $1640 for 1080p, $1999 for 4k touch screen

512GB is a $200 upgrade from Apple

Nobody in their right mind pays MSRP for Dell, and if you're smart you'll get $100-$200 off Apple from Best Buy or Mac Mall or some poo poo.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If you buy more then 20 you get that discount as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Alfajor posted:

Most of the time when a company tells you "we'll be back to you by X," assume they mean "within four weeks of X." HR attracts incompetence.

I use a wireless Logitech trackball (because you have to buy the wired ones from eBay for $90+) with my laptops (a $250 Acer Chromebook for personal and a Lenovo T480 for work) because the first thing I like to do with any laptop is turn the touchpad off. I'm not sure if it's because I have big hands or bad ergonomics (probably both), but the touchpad being on means me inevitably clicking around various points on the screen whenever I try to type more than a sentence.

Also, I've said this before, but two monitors is such a small investment for such a huge loving return. When my office moved HQs, they gave everyone dual monitors, and it was awesome.

If your employer is making you work on a single sub-19" monitor, you need to :yotj:.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

They just released (well in 2016) the most expensive MacBook Pro ever!

8GB/128GB 13" MBP is $1299

The stupid loving touchbar one is $1799

16GB/256GB 15" is $2399

The Dell XPS 13 8GB/256GB is $1149
The Dell XPS 15 8GB/256GB is $1399
The 16GB/512GB model is $1640 for 1080p, $1999 for 4k touch screen

512GB is a $200 upgrade from Apple

Nobody in their right mind pays MSRP for Dell, and if you're smart you'll get $100-$200 off Apple from Best Buy or Mac Mall or some poo poo.

Laptop sales are down like 20% from their peaks and still trending lower. Companies may still be buying them, but consumers aren't, so the age of new laptops being cheaper than the models before them has passed. So yeah, the 2016 models were more expensive than the 2015 models.

I have no idea if Windows laptops are seeing price increases also or not. But if they haven't, then they will.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have a friend who works for HPE and they've got a vending machine where you scan your badge and you get stuff like headsets that are automatically charged to your cost center. You probably get batteries the same way.

I was provided an in-ear headset used by the other guy who works the next shift. Like those rubbery tips that make a lot of contact with your ear canal. I had to make a manager find me something else. Even then it's the same headset, but I can at least take it apart and stow away the part that touches my ear.

We're one wrong move here from a major hepatitis outbreak.
HPE has come a long way in just a few years, inspiring to see such progress.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cool, maybe they can not ruin Nimble considering we just bought one of their arrays.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nazattack posted:

HPE has come a long way in just a few years, inspiring to see such progress.

They just sold that business to another outfit. Sooo....maybe not.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Right now I'm doing a p2v backup of my windows 10 hot garbage so I can flatten it and install ubuntu and run Windows 10 in a VM for outlook/excel stuff. I am so sick of Windows 10 breaking on me or doing really stupid things. I'm hoping the Ubuntu support for the trackpad will be better as well so it doesn't stutter all over the place. This is a Lenovo P50 Brick of Shame laptop. I hate every second of it.

I don't expect Linux on the Desktop to be enjoyable, but it can't be worse than Windows 10's constant breaking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Windows 10 works great here and for all our users. Our Win10 image is very good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Windows 10 works great here and for all our users. Our Win10 image is very good.

:same:

I built our image and imaging infrastructure, so maybe I'm biased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I also don't run into many issues with Win10 (monthly patch bugs withstanding). Unless, of course, that is exactly the sort of issue you want to stop having to deal with.