Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a bar near me makes a mescal cocktail with tobacco simple syrup and it's tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
We make tobacco bitters in house and use them in a 'coffee and cigarettes' (basically bourbon, coffee vermouth that we also infuse ourselves, bitters, and simple) and that poo poo is our highest selling cocktail by something stupid like 30%. In a place that does 50% of sales as cocktails.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Field Mousepad posted:

Wait until yall get a little older and everything you just talked about royally fucks your stomach up for a solid day.

Ain't killed me yet, and I'm pushing 40. The whiskey is going to hurt me worse than the grease.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Ain't killed me yet, and I'm pushing 40. The whiskey is going to hurt me worse than the grease.

Gin old fashioned's followed by greasy spoon breakfast the next morning.

Apparently in the last couple years I've turned into a 40 year old man who just walked out of the 1950's

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Naelyan posted:

We make tobacco bitters in house and use them in a 'coffee and cigarettes' (basically bourbon, coffee vermouth that we also infuse ourselves, bitters, and simple) and that poo poo is our highest selling cocktail by something stupid like 30%. In a place that does 50% of sales as cocktails.

I've never heard of using tobacco as a food flavoring, and as a filthy smoker: intrigued, subscribing to your newsletter, etc. What kind of tobacco do you y'all use?

Continuing on the Simpsons references, a Bloody Mary with tobacco just reminds me of the "tomacco" episode. "Eesh, that's terrible! Give me another one" (probably misquoting, it's been a while since I saw that one)

Liquid Communism posted:

Just turned 44, and the only thing keeping me alive is pickling my body tissues every night then lubing up my arteries every morning working at a southern breakfast joint. They work in tandem, you see

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've never heard of using tobacco as a food flavoring, and as a filthy smoker: intrigued, subscribing to your newsletter, etc. What kind of tobacco do you y'all use?

The oldest tobacco shop in Canada (maybe just Ontario? But I think Canada) is literally just around the corner from my restaurant, so we got there and they give us some real high quality pipe tobacco and then we put that poo poo in booze for a while and make bitters.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Everyone be careful using tobacco in food, ESPECIALLY if infusing alcohol with it. Nicotine is very toxic and its really hard to judge the strength in solution. And if you give it to someone with no nicotine tolerance they won't have a fun time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Tobacco in...food. Uh, wow. I uh

:psyduck: I uh

I don’t even think that’s legally defined as food anymore. I’ll look it up tomorrow.

Jesus. I hope you label the poo poo out of that.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Need some suggestions for work shirts. Closed kitchen/ no dress code. There's a few fryers so if im on that station flours gonna get on me. Im fat so im not trying to wear any super tight under armor type shirts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They're talking about a tobacco infused bitters, so it's not going into food and they probably aren't using more than 3 drops in a 4-7 Oz drink.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
http://imbibemagazine.com/tobacco-cocktails/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
That article basically confirms my suspicion, though I’ll check FDA more thoroughly tomorrow. It’s Hella Illegal in the US, for good reason. Cripes.

Edit: it probably falls under OTP now, and would then qualify as an illegally marketed new tobacco product.

Edit 2: yeah definitely a tobacco product not approved under the office of tobacco products

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 17, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If bourbon in my cereal is wrong, I don't wanna be right

I wanna party with this guy the next time I'm in Louisiana.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

They're talking about a tobacco infused bitters, so it's not going into food and they probably aren't using more than 3 drops in a 4-7 Oz drink.

We've done a poo poo ton of research (I haven't personally so I'm not about to pull up links, I'm the chef, not part of the bar program), and tobacco infusions are absolutely a no-go and not safe for consumption. The bitters are more like a drop into a 3oz cocktail, and we've thoroughly checked with the necessary governing bodies to make sure they're ok with it. We've sold thousands of the things at this point and had zero issues thus far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Naelyan posted:

We've done a poo poo ton of research (I haven't personally so I'm not about to pull up links, I'm the chef, not part of the bar program), and tobacco infusions are absolutely a no-go and not safe for consumption. The bitters are more like a drop into a 3oz cocktail, and we've thoroughly checked with the necessary governing bodies to make sure they're ok with it. We've sold thousands of the things at this point and had zero issues thus far.

You're light on your pours.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Everyone be careful using tobacco in food, ESPECIALLY if infusing alcohol with it. Nicotine is very toxic and its really hard to judge the strength in solution. And if you give it to someone with no nicotine tolerance they won't have a fun time.
additionally it's radioactive thanks to the fertilizers used to grow tobacco containing Radium, which decays to Radon and then on to Lead-210(HL 22y) and Polonium-210( HL138 days)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don’t loving use tobacco or activated charcoal in cocktails you loving morons.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

You're light on your pours.

welcome to canada, where I can put tobacco in it but can't serve a 4oz cocktail (that one is actually more like 3.5, 3oz of booze)

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah what the gently caress are y'all talking about...

Tabbacco is to be smoked. Not put in a drink.

What the Christ.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

odinson posted:

Need some suggestions for work shirts. Closed kitchen/ no dress code. There's a few fryers so if im on that station flours gonna get on me. Im fat so im not trying to wear any super tight under armor type shirts.

Probably get the knockoff version, but I have a closet full of these. They're nice because they shed splashes and stains like a coat, while being light enough and short sleeved enough to be comfy in heat. Screw underarmor, it melts to skin if you get splashed with hot grease. Regular t-shirts just soak up splashes.

Also, wear an apron. That's what they're for. Ablative cover.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I don't like aprons because they always rub on my neck. But thanks dude I'll browse around for some knockoffs

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, wear an apron. That's what they're for. Ablative cover.

Yeah, if you have no dress code like my place, I just rock some of my old tees that I don't care about getting oil spots on, and am lucky enough to have a husband that worked the demo cook position for Trader Joes for 8 years. They provided employees with aprons for free and for keeps, so I've got like a dozen in various colors that I rotate out. The apron is your friend, my fry/flour station comrade.

Also, totally off topic, but one thing I love about my current kitchen is that we have a couple aloe plants in the windows. My teenage grill guy burned his fingers today, and I was right there with a broken stem. He didn't even know what an aloe did, let alone that we had one back in the kitchen. He treated me like I was a sorceress or something for the rest of the day. Pro-tip: if you don't already have an aloe in your store, get one.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

odinson posted:

I don't like aprons because they always rub on my neck. But thanks dude I'll browse around for some knockoffs

Tie the waistband through the neck bit so that it doesn't hang off your neck, but across your back like a harness. You get the added bonus or never having to tie your apron again.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Tie the waistband through the neck bit so that it doesn't hang off your neck, but across your back like a harness. You get the added bonus or never having to tie your apron again.

I'm trying to parse this out, because some of the aforementioned TJs aprons choke the poo poo outta me, especially if I'm carrying a lot of crap in the pockets. You got a pic of this technique, CdC?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's the worst corporate-mandated script you've encountered? Just ate at a place that made the waiters ask "have we dined with us before" and man who even comes up with this crap

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just the general "How is everything?" while I am stuffing my face full of food. Honestly, I would rather put up my hand if I want a waiters attention. Leave me alone, I'm eating :colbert:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
LOOK WE JUST MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS OK !!!!

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

odinson posted:

Look for Cross Strap or Over the Shoulder Aprons.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Tunicate posted:

What's the worst corporate-mandated script you've encountered? Just ate at a place that made the waiters ask "have we dined with us before" and man who even comes up with this crap

"Have a Grand Day"

Resort has "Grand" in the name.

I refuse to say it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It could always be worse

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Hi I'm Famous Steve welcome to Famous Dave's.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
What do the chik fil a employees say? I haven't been there in years

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

Just the general "How is everything?" while I am stuffing my face full of food. Honestly, I would rather put up my hand if I want a waiters attention. Leave me alone, I'm eating :colbert:

We hate when people raise their hand for attention. Checking on a table early in a meal makes sure they got everything they ordered and it's correct. Sometimes I screw up an order, still rare, but much more frequent than my own mistakes is the kitchen fucks something up and there are so many people who would rather write a lovely review on yelp, mentioning me by name, than raise their hand and tell me there's pickles on their burger when they said no pickles.

Edit: that's not to say the kitchen fucks up more often than front of house, it's just that I'm the only person my customers order from but there's almost always 2-4 people who deal with that order in the kitchen, so if we all make the same amount of mistakes, from my perspective at least twice as many mistakes come from the kitchen.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 18, 2018

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The other day a server rang in the wrong item but the line cook also made the wrong item so everyone was happy.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My pleasure. It's ALWAYS MY PLEASURE.

Also, nice move at trying to be a troll.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

odinson posted:

Fold it in half and just tie the waist straps. Your shirt can take incidental splatter, 90% of what hits you is waist to knees anyway because it's splashing or falling from table height.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I rock the folded waist apron. Everyone invest in corn starch, it's gonna be a hot Summer.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Get the medicated baby powder with menthol type stuff, your taint will be silky smooth.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Liquid Communism posted:

Fold it in half and just tie the waist straps. Your shirt can take incidental splatter, 90% of what hits you is waist to knees anyway because it's splashing or falling from table height.

Or just get a chef’s shirt/coat with a collar and tuck the neck strap underneath, that way when you walk through the FOH the customers don’t see cooks wearing filthy, greasy clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

What do the chik fil a employees say? I haven't been there in years

As amahd says, they're forced trained to respond "it's my pleasure" in response to "thank you" every time, which, if you're a polite goober like me who thanks service staff automatically for everything, produces absurd and horrible feedback effects where an attempt to treat FoH as human beings forces them to enact The It's My Pleasure Protocol over, and over, and over again. It's cringe-inducing, the "thank you sir may I have another" of food service. But my understanding is that's it's just one part of an unusually extensive and irregular interaction vocab that's meant to make the staff seem unusually subservient to the customer. It's one of the other reasons it's really popular with the conservative crowd.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 18, 2018