Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Hearts of Iron vs Stellaris. WW2 and Space are equally cool settings to me, which one is the better game given no settings preference.

Stellaris is the better game by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HOI2 with apocalypse better than 3. Stellaris is better than both, but could benefit from stealing some stuff from both.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Some of us took the Expanse cancellation harder than others

I'm tilting

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think we'll be fine. Unless they cancel Westworld as well, and then we'll be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNy_GNWwhQk

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

BrandorKP posted:

HOI2 with apocalypse better than 3. Stellaris is better than both, but could benefit from stealing some stuff from both.

HoI2 might be the best game Paradox made. :colbert:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just FYI Galactic Civ 2 is free over at the Humble Bundle store right now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Also, the DLC for Stellaris is on sale on Green Man Gaming PLUS the PDXCon is grounds for 22% off the already-on-sale prices for all Paradox stuff.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Some of us took the Expanse cancellation harder than others

Wait, what? When did it get cancelled?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sale banner's amazing.

*excited squeeing*

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

binge crotching posted:

Wait, what? When did it get cancelled?

This week.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So uh, what's with the Mostly Negative bombardment going on in the Steam reviews? Or is it just sub human scum trashing the board?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WMain00 posted:

So uh, what's with the Mostly Negative bombardment going on in the Steam reviews? Or is it just sub human scum trashing the board?
Fairly hefty game redesign in 2.0, some people are very angry about it.

e: also, legitimate AI complaints

e: and there's some drama about Chinese localisation

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 18, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't check right now, but is it in the recent reviews segment? Because if so, yeah, it's review bombing

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I didn't really get the drama about the Chinese localisation. As I recall, there was an incomplete localisation in the files that you couldn't access without mods, and they removed it? But there's nothing stopping anyone from grabbing the old localisation from 2.0.2 or whatever and making a mod out of it? And people got mad, even tough they needed a mod anyway? That seems too dumb to be accurate, even for Steam review drama.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't check right now, but is it in the recent reviews segment? Because if so, yeah, it's review bombing

Yeah recent review, alot of bombing going on. Which is surprising because 2.0 was back February (I've played it and it's awesome).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Staltran posted:

I didn't really get the drama about the Chinese localisation. As I recall, there was an incomplete localisation in the files that you couldn't access without mods, and they removed it? But there's nothing stopping anyone from grabbing the old localisation from 2.0.2 or whatever and making a mod out of it? And people got mad, even tough they needed a mod anyway? That seems too dumb to be accurate, even for Steam review drama.

Chinese nationalists can get REAL touchy about poo poo. It's not the first time a game got review bombed for not properly supporting Great China.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s not even nationalists necessarily, it’s angry people who want to play a game but it’s not in their language. You get the same stuff from English speakers when Steam publishes its few Chinese or Japanese language games, even though there is a big orange text flag saying “Warning, don’t buy this unless you can read the language, dipshit.”

I think people from other countries get used to the international language being English, but China is big and rich enough to have the same sense of entitlement we native English speakers do.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
This new "everything must be localized in my language" craze that's been happening really sucks. Localisation eats up so many loving resources that could be spent on other things - especially when it's audio loc too.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

FINALLY!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WMain00 posted:

Yeah recent review, alot of bombing going on. Which is surprising because 2.0 was back February (I've played it and it's awesome).
I started playing around with steam review filters and wow that is a lot of angry Chinese people.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s not even nationalists necessarily, it’s angry people who want to play a game but it’s not in their language. You get the same stuff from English speakers when Steam publishes its few Chinese or Japanese language games, even though there is a big orange text flag saying “Warning, don’t buy this unless you can read the language, dipshit.”

I think people from other countries get used to the international language being English, but China is big and rich enough to have the same sense of entitlement we native English speakers do.

While true, I still feel that the whole "overturning the Century of Humiliation!" business does cause tempers to be touchier than they might otherwise be when it comes to perceived slights against China.

DatonKallandor posted:

This new "everything must be localized in my language" craze that's been happening really sucks. Localisation eats up so many loving resources that could be spent on other things - especially when it's audio loc too.

In fairness, though, it also sucks if something isn't localized in your own language and you're not terribly good at the language it IS written in. If a game is written in Azerbaijani, it doesn't matter how many cool new features they're adding by not spending resources translating to English, it's just as unplayable to you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What is the actual problem with the Chinese localization?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tomn posted:

In fairness, though, it also sucks if something isn't localized in your own language and you're not terribly good at the language it IS written in. If a game is written in Azerbaijani, it doesn't matter how many cool new features they're adding by not spending resources translating to English, it's just as unplayable to you.

Yeah but I also don't expect those Azerabaijani developers to spend their resources catering to me. Localisation is a nice thing to get, not something you can expect or demand and you sure as poo poo aren't entitled to it. And hey, maybe you want to play something badly enough you learn the language. The only reason I speak english even half as well as I do is english cRPGs. Languages with non-latin script also come with a whole host of other issues, so even text localisation of those can be too expensive to be worth it.

But generally what bothers me is the insistence on localized dubs. Non-AAA developers and publishers can't afford to re-do the entire voice cast in chinese or russian (and don't get me started on the irony of russians being upset that something isn't in russian when you consider the quality of english dubs of russian games).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 18, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Devoting resources to localisation is something developers do when they expect the expansion in targetable markets will produce more sales than additional features would squeeze out of the existing markets it can reach.

Complaining about it is essentially saying that it bothers you that the developer isn’t foregoing profit for your sake.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

GunnerJ posted:

What is the actual problem with the Chinese localization?

That it was there previously, but outright removed suddenly for no given reason.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 18, 2018

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

DatonKallandor posted:

Agree. Let’s keep all Paradox games Swedish.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Bloodly posted:

That it was there previously, but outright removed suddenly for no given reason.

This seems like a different thing than just complaining that the devs don't care enough to cater to you. It's more like previously they put the effort in, and then they stopped.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

This seems like a different thing than just complaining that the devs don't care enough to cater to you. It's more like previously they put the effort in, and then they stopped.
There was an incomplete Chinese localisation file only accessible by installing a mod. That file was removed because ??? and China is now very very angry

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Devoting resources to localisation is something developers do when they expect the expansion in targetable markets will produce more sales than additional features would squeeze out of the existing markets it can reach.

Complaining about it is essentially saying that it bothers you that the developer isn’t foregoing profit for your sake.

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not complaining about things being localised. I'm complaining that it's suddenly being treated as some kind of right you are entitled by people who then review bomb when they don't immediately get game X in their language (often pre-launch!)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DatonKallandor posted:

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not complaining about things being localised. I'm complaining that it's suddenly being treated as some kind of right you are entitled by people who then review bomb when they don't immediately get game X in their language (often pre-launch!)

If you are a native English speaker, then it's easy for you to say that.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Torrannor posted:

Well it is his native tongue

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Torrannor posted:

China has a pretty bad reputation for pirating software to begin with, chances are paradox saw their sales in China an just pulled the unofficial localisation files for simplicity.

Regardless, we won the war so everyone would be speaking English in the present day, not so bronies could feel safe.

If it made money they would do it. Its not a charity to make video games, if a chinese game is made it would be pathetic an bizarre for me to demand it be made in english, especially for free.

Degenerate ideology needs to swallow that.

Grammar-Bolshevik fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 18, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DatonKallandor posted:

It's a bit different if you bought the game expecting to be able to play it in your language and then that changes. Even if it wasn't official support, nobody likes having the thing they bought suddenly become unplayable.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

DatonKallandor posted:

My statement works both ways really. Whether it's resources going to loc, or the lack of it, being pissed about it is being pissed about the developer picking what they think will earn them more money.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I'm not a native english speaker, but it's still easy for me to say that.

The China Stellaris thing is just stupid, because it sounds like there was no chinese loc yet. Someone modded in a half-done version and they patched it out until they can finish it. At no point was there ever an official chinese stellaris loc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Held þetta sé Þjóðverji örugglega

English is my third language and the only time it pisses me off is when localizations go too far into slang (looking at you Atlus with your weird yank wank)

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

China has a pretty bad reputation for pirating software to begin with, chances are paradox saw their sales in China an just pulled the unofficial localisation files for simplicity.

Regardless, we won the war so everyone would be speaking English in the present day, not so bronies could feel safe.

If it made money they would do it. Its not a charity to make video games, if a chinese game is made it would be pathetic an bizarre for me to demand it be made in english, especially for free.

Degenerate ideology needs to swallow that.

Speaking as another non-native speaker that learned English mostly by playing video-games, I totally agree with this statement.

I don't want to poo poo on people who did not have the opportunity to learn English, co's I know how frustrating learning a new language can be, but this has nothing to do with that, it's a business decision and like it or not English has always been the standard language of the internet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey anybody in this thread who's missing a lot of the DLC there's a new Ascension Pack Steam Bundle with a decent discount on it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The ai seems to have a habit of having fully populated planets with like 3 buildings total. Is there a mod that tricks it into actually playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Held þetta sé Þjóðverji örugglega

You'd ironically, be wrong about that.

E: Lol, nevermind, thought this was targeting my buddy Daton McAnschluss.