Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shine posted:

Welp, adding another savings goal to the budget!

I mention this far too often really but getting a buttkicker for VR is awesome and fills in a lot of the blanks, sensation wise. Being in VR then feeling the rumble strips as you clip an apex makes for really good, fun times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

peter gabriel posted:

I mention this far too often really but getting a buttkicker for VR is awesome and fills in a lot of the blanks, sensation wise. Being in VR then feeling the rumble strips as you clip an apex makes for really good, fun times

That I have! And yes, especially when you pair it with SimXperience (aka SimVibe) so it reacts off the telemetry instead of just the game's bass. IMO that software is a must-buy if you have a bass shaker and play racing sims.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Hmm, it sounds tempting, but on the other hand I don't want to be a nuisance to the people living downstairs.

---

Meanwhile, after another couple of wins, I'm now leading the Alfa GTA championship. This feels totally surreal.

The secret to the GTA, I'm pretty sure now, is to brake early - no, earlier than that. Also, turn the tyre pressure way up from the default setting; I'm running 36 psi.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Steen71 posted:

Hmm, it sounds tempting, but on the other hand I don't want to be a nuisance to the people living downstairs.

That's the nice thing about them, they aren't super loud like a subwoofer. Just tune it high enough that your chair is buzzing, but if you put your hand on the floor you don't feel the buzz, and it won't bug your neighbors. I've been using mine for years with both a downstairs neighbor and a spouse who sleeps in the next room, and I've never had a complaint.

It'll also make you jump when you play something like PUBG and shots erupt near you. Fuuuuuuck

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When you have it dialled in you can have skull rattling bass coursing through your body and if you stand up and stand next to the seat you can't even tell it's on, it's pretty cool like that and makes for a brilliant way to practice playing bass as well which is a cool side bonus :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Other video games are awesome through a buttkicker too. I often sit in my sim rig to play things like fortnite or Overwatch and the buttkicker is awesome there too

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 12, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does the buttkicker have to replace my subwoofer channel?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Welp, I guess a buttkicker will be my next sim rig purchase

Which model do you guys have?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

It can but doesn’t have to. They come with an amp that strips the high frequency sounds out of the audio if you want.

I have this model: https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-gamer2/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Would I just have to use a splitter and a 3.5mm to RCA cable then?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

No. For general use where it just reacts off your bass, you run it simultaneously with your headphones/speakers/bass channel via an included splitter. If you use USB headphones, then you'll have to get creative, using something like Voicemeeter to mirror the USB output to the sound card the Buttkicker is plugged into, or use SteamVR's sound mirroring if you're running in VR.

If you are using the telemetry software I mentioned, then you plug the Buttkicker into a second sound card, as that is how it reacts only to the telemetry and not to general sound; the software sends all the engine revs and gear shifts and such to the Buttkicker's sound card. It'll make sense when you set it up.

If you have an onboard sound card with both front and rear inputs, you can usually set your PC to treat them as independent sound cards, in which case a second sound card isn't required. Otherwise, just grab a cheap Sound Blaster or a USB sound card or something.

As an aside, you can go ham with SimXperience and set up multiple bass shakers for each wheel, the pedals, the gearbox, etc. It's not required, but it's yet another aspect of sim racing where you can optionally spend several times as much to upgrade your gear for these stupid games. But trust me, a single shaker is fine as long as you don't tune it to react to every single thing. The software has options for engine vibration, road texture, bumps/kerbs, oversteer, gear shifts, brakes locking up, etc. and running all of that to a single card will make it sound muddled. Personally, I use my single shaker for engine volume at a fairly low volume, and road bumps, gear shifts, and impacts at a higher volume. That way I get to feel the neat engine buzzing, but the kerbs (and grass :() and such are still nice and distinct.

Holler if any of this doesn't make sense. I'm sleepy.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 12, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does your guys clip light go on a lot on your buttkickers? I need to have mine cranked pretty high to get good feedback but that light is constantly flashing so I usually turn it down. Should I not really be bothered by that light? It'll turn itself off before overheating won't it?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I have mine mounted underneath my Obutto seat and it's strong enough for me without clipping.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Harminoff posted:

Does your guys clip light go on a lot on your buttkickers? I need to have mine cranked pretty high to get good feedback but that light is constantly flashing so I usually turn it down. Should I not really be bothered by that light? It'll turn itself off before overheating won't it?

Depending on the software you use, you can tune the response curve so it won't clip too much.Then again, clipping only means that it "hides" input from you because it reaches it's maximum output and can't transduce what happens above that....so the kicker might kick 100% when you'r tires are only slipping 80%, and you won't be able to notice what happens above those 80%....similar to force feedback clipping on your wheel.

I wouldn't mind too much, as imo buttkicker input is a bit auxiliary to all the other inputs you receive, so imo if it doesn't clip all the time, let it clip if you don't mind and prefer a stronger input from it (and if you can't tune the response curve in the software you use).

If it'll turn itself off before it overheats? I hope so :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'll mess with it a bit more, it might be how I have it attached to my racing chair as well that something is blocking the vibrations.

Though I also connect it to my office chair and have it running off my soundcard using voicemeeter banana in mono (headphones are connected to a blue yeti) and with music it's like 80% in the red on dnb.

If what it's doing is just losing some frequencies not destroying the thing then I wont worry too much about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The clip light just means the amp didn’t pass everything it received to the transducer. It won’t actually hurt anything.

That being said. After messing with mine I never get the clip light to stay totally off. I don’t think it matters much unless the clip light is like solid all the time. If it flickers a bit it’s NBD.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have mine running on a splitter from the headphone out on my audio interface, this means I can use a dial on the interface to control the volume of it as it has a dedicated headphone mix volume knob, it works really well this way for me.
I have it on all the time because I have hearing aids and they suck at bass, so it;s a really big quality of life thing for me, probably why I mention buttkickers so much

It tends not to clip on mine, but can do now and then

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

You know how in PCars 2 you select Nords, night and thunderstorm because why not or to showcase the weather model to someone and laugh at them crashing right at Hatzenbach?

Well, I hope you people watched the 24 hour race last night, because that's exactly what happened.

e: a kind goon postet this in the sas racing thread:

https://twitter.com/Mattzel89/status/995458621931745280

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 13, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know if the Ferrari 458 wheel will work on a T300RS base? The wheel is off an Xbox compatible base and the T300RS base is ps4

E: looks like the T300RS wheel works on the Ferrari base, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work the other way around.
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/1...&comment=192959

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 14, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know if the Ferrari 458 wheel will work on a T300RS base? The wheel is off an Xbox compatible base and the T300RS base is ps4

E: looks like the T300RS wheel works on the Ferrari base, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work the other way around.
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/1...&comment=192959

It does work. All of the rims are compatible with any of their wheel bases.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Hello goons, I've never been into racing at all but since trying out simulation games it's really grabbed my interest. I've only ever thought of NASCAR because of where I'm located, so I'm new to most of the terminology and popular championships. What's a good way to get caught up for a newbie on everything?

I own a Vive, wheel and Assetto Corsa, but I've only ever driven an automatic. I'm sure I'm in for a time getting into this, but I found the videos over at Driver61 and they are helping me with the basics of race driving. Also have been watching Jimmy Broadbent and viperconcept on YouTube.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
EmptyBox did some really good sim racing intro videos a few years ago, he's definitely worth checking out. Also the Skip Barber "Going Faster" book/videos are good for line selection, optimizing your traction circle, and general racecraft. They are geared to real life driving, but we're talking *simulation* so it carries over just fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you wanna really git gud pick one car and one type of racing and stick with it for awhile.

Check out all that there is, see what interests you first, but commit to something for awhile. Different cars can have totally different handling and confuse you, reinforce bad habits, whatever.

Do you like circuits or ovals, dirt or asphalt, cup cars or production cars or open wheel or rally or rallycross.

And once you pick something, just practice all you can. Just takes time.

Start slow and focus on keeping control of the car at all times. When you feel confident, speed up. If you go off track a lot, slow back down.

Learn tracks. Watch other drivers, see where they brake, and look for landmarks on the track so you can remember "brake when you get to THIS point", etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For seeing what all there is, just watch some free race highlights on youtube.

WRC is stage rally
World Rallycross is wheel to wheel rally
NASCAR is oval cup cars
Indycar is oval and road open wheels
F1 is circuit open wheel
Blancpain and WEC are endurance circuits

See which of those looks fun, watch some races to get a feel for how things go, then get a sim game that fits that style and just race till your eyes bleed.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Finished my up my stand today, using some old pieces I had laying around. going to sand and finish it out this weekend.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

InevitableCheese posted:

Hello goons, I've never been into racing at all but since trying out simulation games it's really grabbed my interest. I've only ever thought of NASCAR because of where I'm located, so I'm new to most of the terminology and popular championships. What's a good way to get caught up for a newbie on everything?

I own a Vive, wheel and Assetto Corsa, but I've only ever driven an automatic. I'm sure I'm in for a time getting into this, but I found the videos over at Driver61 and they are helping me with the basics of race driving. Also have been watching Jimmy Broadbent and viperconcept on YouTube.

All I know is that if I had a vive the first thing I'd do is load up dirt rally

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Harminoff posted:

All I know is that if I had a vive the first thing I'd do is load up dirt rally

From what I’ve seen, it’s Oculus only.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I finally had the usb cable on my t500rs repaired after it was wrecked in a move and goddamn it is nice to sim again. The celica gt4 in assetto corsa is the most fun. You almost need to keep your hand on the stick the whole time the gears are so short!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

From what I’ve seen, it’s Oculus only.

There's no such thing as Oculus only.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

You're welcome :)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I see people talk about objects off-track like trees or fences as brake markers I wonder if I am just doing it wrong. I just look at the track. Usually herbs and the dark rubber area from other cars is a good enough indication of where to brake and turn in. Am I doing myself a disservice by doing this? I can’t think of any examples where “brake when you see the pointy tree” would be preferable to “brake when the track right in front of you gets darker and turn in to get close to the kerb “

I’m not trying to be an rear end in a top hat who thinks he’s good (I’m bad) I’m genuinely wondering if there is a better way and I’m being deceived by the track itself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is no better way. If there is a road marking where you need to brake, use it. If there is a shrub. Use it. Use literally any indicator you can to mark brake points.

Often there won’t be something exactly when you need to brake, so brake points wind up being “brake just before the end of the line of bushes off the right side of the track” and things like that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GutBomb posted:

When I see people talk about objects off-track like trees or fences as brake markers I wonder if I am just doing it wrong. I just look at the track. Usually herbs and the dark rubber area from other cars is a good enough indication of where to brake and turn in. Am I doing myself a disservice by doing this? I can’t think of any examples where “brake when you see the pointy tree” would be preferable to “brake when the track right in front of you gets darker and turn in to get close to the kerb “

I’m not trying to be an rear end in a top hat who thinks he’s good (I’m bad) I’m genuinely wondering if there is a better way and I’m being deceived by the track itself.

If the point you're using is a permanent part of the track, sure. But if you're using a tire mark or a rubbered in part of the track, that's going to change (in iracing and real life at least) and probably isn't the best choice. A brake marker is anything you can find easily that's always there that tells you when to brake.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Careful selection of visual points is important though. I made the mistake of taking (in iRacing) the last cone on the exit of pitlane as the cue to turn onto the track. During a race, someone about 5 seconds up the road knocked that cone over, so when I turned in at the new last cone on the exit I got the dreaded black flag. I remember in rfactor those foam meter boards were a killer too, someone would always knock them over and I'd realise that I'd been relying on them about the same time I blew right past the end of the track. In the end I would knock them all over myself on my practice outlaps to force myself to pick a permanent reference.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

InevitableCheese posted:

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

It's a shitload of fun though. +1 for skip babrer going fast and real life techniques working.

There's two big parts, first is general technique and then there's racing in traffic. Solo hot laps can be fun but actually racing people is where it's at imho. If you're doing iracing get good at the Miata track of the week (can do a consistent clean lap) then go racing. Focus on being clean and taking advantage of other people's mistakes. Just not going off track or hitting anyone will get you a solid finish.

Switch to manual, it will suck at first but you'll be glad you did. Paddles and auto clutch is fine.

Driving line on is great to initially learn a track but turn it off asap. Use it as a tool not a crutch.

Vive is awesome for sims, you go where you look. Make a point to look ahead at where you want to be.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

InevitableCheese posted:

Finished my up my stand today, using some old pieces I had laying around. going to sand and finish it out this weekend.

Another bit of advice: I'm not familiar with that wheel + pedal set, but most pedals are way too soft out of the box, especially the brake pedal. See if you can find some way to stiffen it up (changing the spring or inserting... something). When I modified my brake pedal it made a huge difference to my driving.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

InevitableCheese posted:

As others have said Going Faster (the book or the video) are good starting points. EmptyBox has some surviving rookies stuff but really, if you learn to look ahead rookies aren't that bad. Driver61 has some good things, but in reality you need to practice. Finding the driving line isn't the hard part its maximizing the driving line within the cars limits.

If you are using VR for sim racing I highly suggest getting in the habit of looking into the corners. Like fully turn your head, to the point where it feels like its too much. Don't worry about trail braking until you can threshold brake. Start with basics and have meaningful practice. If you do get into iRacing, for the love of god race - don't hotlap.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GutBomb posted:

This advice comes from the best real life and sort of game racing advice which is look ahead. If you're looking far ahead you can use something like when I crest this hill and see the top of that tree start braking. Initially it will be things in your peripheral vision like the start of curbing or distance markers but as you progress and you start looking further ahead there will be markers on the horizon or off track you can use. The reasoning is as stated above track conditions can change and static objects are always way better. Some people even use things like noise(this section of track was repaved and my tires sound different wait a beat and brake) advanced drivers even count in their heads whatever works for you. Generally though if you're looking at the track surface you are not looking far enough ahead and will gain time by looking further up.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Steen71 posted:

Another bit of advice: I'm not familiar with that wheel + pedal set, but most pedals are way too soft out of the box, especially the brake pedal. See if you can find some way to stiffen it up (changing the spring or inserting... something). When I modified my brake pedal it made a huge difference to my driving.

I have similar pedals, and got a foam soccer ball that's about 5-6" in diameter, cut it in half, and shoved it into the space behind the brake pedal. It's not a load cell, but it's way better than the unmodded pedal was.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have similar pedals, and got a foam soccer ball that's about 5-6" in diameter, cut it in half, and shoved it into the space behind the brake pedal. It's not a load cell, but it's way better than the unmodded pedal was.

I did this with a stress ball on my old official 360 wheel. Pedal feel on my load cell Fanatecs is still certainly better but the modded MS pedals are surprisingly close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
My Fanatec pedals came with a brake mod that was just a cone of rubber that you put behind the brake pedal and it made my road course driving feel a lot better - at least; I'm not locking the brakes up as much at least.