Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
And I was concerned the elf chick wouldn’t fit in with our usual cast... Boy, was I wrong!

This Mission shows off another trick of the AI- give an Orc Clan a Great Hall and a Dragon Roost at the start and they’ll just send Dragons at you without building up the upgrades in between that and basic Grunts. I usually prioritize such enemies due to their low defenses. Of course, due to other enemies constantly breathing down your neck, you really have to balance defense, offense, and recon in this game. Good to see our heroes are learning proper strategy.

Also, suggestion for the defense of the Harold incident- he was a spy for Alterac! Really, it makes perfect sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
And there goes the collective mental stability of the cast right off a cliff. And here I was, thinking the human side would be a refuge of sanity.

At least she seems... effective? Maybe? Is this just a way to justify the ludicrously gamey strategies that BTDP requires?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I like to represent all the different psychological problems that one would get from living in Azeroth. If anyone comes out of that place with a clean bill of mental health, I would immediately assume they were an Old One.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Kala is a delight.

And yeah, this is human mission 2. Look at this. This is way, way harder than the orcs' final mission in ToD and almost as bad as humans' final.

And it only gets worse.

Though, probably the one good thing about the PS1 Warcraft 2 is that you could start the game with the pause menu open and input the invincibility cheat to save that poor doomed footman. No footman was as ever doomed as he.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 18, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

McTimmy posted:

Though, probably the one good thing about the PS1 Warcraft 2 is that you could start the game with the pause menu open and input the invincibility cheat to save that poor doomed footman. Not footman was as ever doomed as he.

Oh, man. Those cheat codes taught me how to type. This is an honest to goodness true story. When I was in third grade I was getting so frustrated with one of the BtDP PUDs known as "Suicide." It's just a mission that starts you with a single peon versus an entire army of grunts and axe throwers. You really can't win. But I was convinced that if I was fast enough to type in the invincibility code, it would... count? The code is "It is a good day to die" and I spent a lot of time at home and school practicing typing it faster and faster. I even went to my mom for help since she always boasted a fast typing speed.

Of course that just motivated her to give me actual typing lessons. Combine that with my dad worried about my handwriting, and I spent my weekends typing things on a typewriter and than hand copying them three times to get my handwriting perfect. Thanks SUICIDE.PUD.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 18, 2018

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Azzur posted:

Oh, man. Those cheat codes taught me how to type. This is an honest to goodness true story. When I was in third grade I was getting so frustrated with one of the BtDP PUDs known as "Suicide." It's just a mission that starts you with a single peon versus an entire army of grunts and axe throwers. You really can't win. But I was convinced that if I was fast enough to type in the invincibility code, it would... count? The code is "It is a good day to die" and I spent a lot of time at home and school practicing typing it faster and faster. I even went to my mom for help since she always boasted a fast typing speed.

Of course that just motivated here to give me actual typing lessons. Combine that with my dad worried about my handwriting, and I spent my weekends typing things on a typewriter and than hand copying them three times to get my handwriting perfect. Thanks SUICIDE.PUD.

I have an almost similar tale (though directed at that footmen). Even dropping the game speed down to snail wasn't enough.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Kalassori is a great addition to the team.

It's also funny watching Danath and Ruku somewhat getting along until Danath starts realizing what a maniac he's actually working with.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Does the Battle.net Edition use different AI than the DOS version?

When I played this mission the yellow orcs also built a lot of ground units (who then proceeded to be completely dumbfounded by the river).
I also remember getting wrecked by the AI in the horde mission where you recruit the dragons, which apprently had passive AI in this version?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If the enemy is massing lots of ground units across a river, Ruku has a name for that.

Target Practice.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Is it just me or that despite expecting Wells would be one of the more driven ones due to his nemesis returning - especially given how he acted in the final human mission of ToD, - he's maintaining his (relative) level-headedness? I always liked that contrast between him and Necksmasher. Imagine if Wells ever got to know Bloodgut they could share stories about how they're always looking out for the rest of their group.

Also, didn't know that the art was hand-drawn in this. Very neat. I always assumed you were some sort of MS Paint wizard, maybe with some extra programs to touch it up.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Azzur posted:

Of course that just motivated her to give me actual typing lessons. Combine that with my dad worried about my handwriting, and I spent my weekends typing things on a typewriter and than hand copying them three times to get my handwriting perfect. Thanks SUICIDE.PUD.

I practiced speed cheating to save Lothar.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Gnooble posted:

I practiced speed cheating to save Lothar.

I think I actually saved him once - but here's the weird thing. Despite him being on the map as an Allied unit (meaning he should be rescuable), you actually can't take control of him. This is something that normally happens when an active rescuable player builds units or structures of their own - these AI-produced units can only be controlled by taking control of their (starting) Town Hall, which gives you all of that player's units and structures.

In a custom map, active rescuable players who do not start with a town hall must be killed off to win, as you cannot take control of anything they built themselves, including the Town Hall that would otherwise grant you all of that player's stuff. And in custom maps, the objective is always to be the only active player remaining on the map, including allies.

---

But yeah, Elf lady fits in just fine.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Bad Ideas Elf is quite fun

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They’re not bad ideas.

Just, uh, totally amoral.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Regalingualius posted:

They’re not bad ideas.

Having the army build roads and the builders fight is a good idea?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Let's be real here, our new elf friend is basically a more dignified Zapp Brannigan.

Azzur posted:

: Run in circles! Run in circles! Those of you on fire, retreat and then shoot! Stop being dead!

Just look at that. And if you need more evidence we can always switch quotes around:

: Under my command, every mission shall become a suicide mission.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Dr. Snark posted:

Let's be real here, our new elf friend is basically a more dignified Zapp Brannigan.

All we need now is Bloodgut to play Kiff at some point and follow her around with a horrified look on his face.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Regalingualius posted:

They’re not bad ideas.

Totally amoral ideas are bad ideas :colbert:
We're playing Warcraft not Warcrimes ok

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FoolyCharged posted:

Having the army build roads and the builders fight is a good idea?

If anything, she was just ahead of her time for that latter idea.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Nostalgamus posted:

Does the Battle.net Edition use different AI than the DOS version?

When I played this mission the yellow orcs also built a lot of ground units (who then proceeded to be completely dumbfounded by the river).
I also remember getting wrecked by the AI in the horde mission where you recruit the dragons, which apprently had passive AI in this version?

I’m going to guess that there has been a step up in AI from this version to the Battle.net Edition, though Yellow absolutely massed ground units and kept them across the river. Of course...

achtungnight posted:

If the enemy is massing lots of ground units across a river, Ruku has a name for that.

Target Practice.

This is exactly what I did. It was a little too dull to include in the update, though.

There’s also the addition that I’m playing very aggressively which may be throwing off the AI or something. Toss in the fact that I’ll skip over adding every little assault from the computer and that may have something to do with it.

Also glad to hear that people are enjoying Kala. I have high hopes for her.

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013
...I've played warcraft 2 for years and I've just noticed this; the human barracks has green grass in its open center, despite being in a desert. Do they specifically bring out tufts of the stuff for morale purposes or something?

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I wish I could play this on my laptop with windows 10. I lost my old battle.net edition disk and have no way to replay and scratch my nostalgia itch!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Med School posted:

I wish I could play this on my laptop with windows 10. I lost my old battle.net edition disk and have no way to replay and scratch my nostalgia itch!

I feel you. Sometimes you get these urges for something from 1994 or something and then you remember just how difficult to get these things up and running on anything current. I am hoping that Blizzard is working on rereleasing Warcraft 1, 2, and Beyond the Dark Portal so that people can come and enjoy the suffering nostalgia right along with me!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean in wc2s case I think I just installed bnet edition off the disc. Maybe there was one patch file from blizzard?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Azzur posted:

I feel you. Sometimes you get these urges for something from 1994 or something and then you remember just how difficult to get these things up and running on anything current. I am hoping that Blizzard is working on rereleasing Warcraft 1, 2, and Beyond the Dark Portal so that people can come and enjoy the suffering nostalgia right along with me!

Imagine warcraft 1 without needing control held down to drag-select. :allears:

It would still be utterly unplayable, but still!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

Imagine warcraft 1 without needing control held down to drag-select. :allears:

It would still be utterly unplayable, but still!

What, you don't long for the days of only being able to build immediately next to your base? Watching as your peasants and peons travel across miles of battlefield to grab some gold? Or do you just enjoy being able to select more than four units at a time?

Look at these spoiled RTS players nowadays. Please excuse me as I smash my hand with a hammer, as I truly know how to appreciate fun.

EDIT: I still love Warcraft O&H, but it's not one of those games I boot up for some good ol' fashioned fun.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 23, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

The Blasted Lands: A Wide Expanse of... Nothing

Lore for... The Name Game

Welcome back to the Blasted Lands! Wait a minute, this place was a lot more... living during the First War. Yeah, the geography around the Dark Portal has shifted quite a bit between the wars and over the years. Let's step back to when the Dark Portal just opened deep in the Swamp of Sorrows. So deep, in fact that it was actually hidden from most creatures of Azeroth in a heavily wooded and swampy section known as The Black Morass. Here the trees sunk deep into a thick bog, with a heady mix of humid air and buzzing insects. The land itself was waiting to swallow up wanderers into it's shadowy, warm depths.

HELL YEAH, LET'S SET UP A BASE HERE.

So this is the time where I mentally kick myself for not going over the non-canon campaign of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, as we would have explored the interesting spread out bases of power that the orcs set up throughout Azeroth. You see, after arriving in Azeroth, the orcs thought, "Okay, swamp filled with bugs that makes passage difficult and setting down foundations impossible... maybe not the best base of operations." But there was no denying that the swamp gave them plenty of cover from prying eyes. It stands to reason that the first few encampments were built not far from the portal, including Stonard and Rockard (those are some fairly "non-orc-y" names nowadays, you can see they came from the older DOS game). With that came the hatchets of peons everywhere. And slowly the Black Morass was being deforested, a thing that allowed the Horde to move even more armies from Draenor to Azeroth.

But that doesn't explain what the hell happened to create the Blasted Lands! The land now is scoured of life around the Dark Portal, taking out a few trees doesn't turn a swamp into a desert, especially not in eight short years. So what happened? If your guess was weird nuclear magic radiation, you'd be right! The fel magic that powered the portal slowly poured out into the surrounding area, drawing life out of the land and just... just fuckin' everything up. So the land slowly died as the trees and grass and even wildlife wasted away to nothing. This turned the Black Morass into the Blasted Lands. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to call the land that was all baked red clay a "morass" now would it?

Anyway, the Second War ends and the humans are feeling all triumphant. "Woo! We did it! We beat the orcs AND destroyed their portal! We never have to fight orcs ever again. Ever." Of course, one guy had to go and be a buzzkill: Khadgar. We've talked about Khadgar; he was Medivh's (unwilling) apprentice, found out he was behind the orc invasion, and worked with Lothar to kill the Guardian. Oh yeah, and then he got magic'ed into an old guy. So our... young-old archmage destroys the Dark Portal, but had some reservations that it wasn't the last that Azeroth had seen of the orcs. (It also helped that he was seeing visions of himself still fighting orcs in a time yet to come. Man, everybody gets to have cool visions. I just dream about weird poo poo like robots turning into people or demons hiding in the wombs of their rivals.)

So Khadgar suggests that there should be a fortress to oversee where the Dark Portal once stood. Y'know... just in case. After some convincing, Khadgar managed to get the various leaders of the Alliance to cough up the dough to get the place built. Only the best of the best were hired: The Stonemason's Guild of Stormwind, lead by Edwin VanCleef, a thief gone straight to pursue a glorious life of... essentially being an RTS peasant. Now, the Stomemason's Guild did good work (which we blew up with the Horde), and this even allowed them to land an even bigger job of rebuilding Stormwind City! (...pretty sure we blew parts of that up, too.)

Man, just think how rich these guys are going to get after landing not one, but TWO huge government contracts!

Of course, you can't just build a fortress and call it a day. You actually have to man it, all while everyone is still trying to rebuild after the Second War, relocate the remaining orcs, and generally come to grips with the massive six year long war that took its toll on the world. Since the mages of Dalaran had a super awesome artifact that could, I dunno, build poo poo or whatever... they had some spare men to help out and staff Nethergarde. Under the watchful eye of Khadgar, the mages and some troops from the various factions of the Alliance (I have no idea why Kul Tiras would have any presence there, but what do I know?) stood guard over... a desert. The mages were able to study the portal's effect on the land around them, but I don't think that was their main objective. All of the orcs and various factions were not, however, defeated after the portal was destroyed. This does mean that any orcs hiding out in the Blasted Lands would have to skirt by the defenders of Nethergarde before striking out into human lands.

And there we have it. Not the most exciting Lore update, let's be honest, but it's important, dammit! Alright, let's get back to killing orcs and/or humans. Context be damned!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 24, 2018

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I heard the Stonemasons got so rich they bought a cruise ship.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Also wait, speaking of Warcraft peasants. Is Gary still around? I demand updates on the most important NPC.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Also wait, speaking of Warcraft peasants. Is Gary still around? I demand updates on the most important NPC.

Who do you think financed the stonemason's guild?

Speaking of, I believe said guild is actually the single most powerful force in warcraft. I mean, think about it. Every day there's buildings getting toppled or blown up or whatever that are fine by the time the next adventurer walks along. Who puts it back up? And who gets paid for doing so? And this happens hundreds if not thousands of times a day.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

NewMars posted:

And who gets paid for doing so?
Yeah uh about that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah uh about that

They get paid fine when Katrina Prestor isn't around.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm also sure Lady Morningpath has some ideas about paying people for a hard day's work. And Peasants have a predictable response.

Peasant- "Yes ma'am, the average peasant can carry more than 100 Gold out of the mine per trip... but we don't. Trust me! 100 every trip! That's what we mine! Get used to it!" [Peasant walks away carefully so his hidden extra coins don't clink]

And regarding carriers- I have always enjoyed Ship Levels in video games. Any Dungeons in WoW based around a ship, or is this idea as yet untapped?

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 23, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Valiantman posted:

I heard the Stonemasons got so rich they bought a cruise ship.

"Oh right, I vaguely something about that from WoW years ago. Let me check the wiki...

*10 minutes later*

"..Carriers? Really? The Alliance and Horde have developed loving CARRIERS? When and how the hell did we get from hitting people with swords to World War loving One?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thetruegentleman posted:

"Oh right, I vaguely something about that from WoW years ago. Let me check the wiki...

*10 minutes later*

"..Carriers? Really? The Alliance and Horde have developed loving CARRIERS? When and how the hell did we get from hitting people with swords to World War loving One?"

...You have been reading this LP, right? Steam-powered warships, helicopters, and submarines were introduced as early as Warcraft 2.

Also, the Legion has interdimensional starships carrying fighters piloted by demons that occasionally perform orbital bombardments.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

achtungnight posted:

And regarding carriers- I have always enjoyed Ship Levels in video games. Any Dungeons in WoW based around a ship, or is this idea as yet untapped?

Really oldschool, but the final section in the first Alliance dungeon, the Deadmines, took place on an under construction Ogre Dreadnought, straight from Warcraft 2.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Really oldschool, but the final section in the first Alliance dungeon, the Deadmines, took place on an under construction Ogre Dreadnought, straight from Warcraft 2.

Crewed by the Defias Botherhood aka the Stonemasons gone rogue because they got paid too much and couldn't handle it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Funny thing is, that according to BtDP's very manual Stromgarde and Gilneas both pulled out of the Alliance because they helped pay for New Stormwind's construction.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Valiantman posted:

Crewed by the Defias Botherhood aka the Stonemasons gone rogue because they got paid too much and couldn't handle it.
Wasn't it because they weren't paid at all or nowhere near what they were promised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

Wasn't it because they weren't paid at all or nowhere near what they were promised?

They weren't paid at all, courtesy of the Black Dragonflight infiltrating Stormwind and stirring up conflict between the commoners and the nobles to keep Stormwind divided and weak.