Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

AutomaticPrince posted:

How are the fire realm challenges? The Valkyrie fights seem like some real bullshit sometimes but I had zero issues with the one in the fog area.

I did all of them with little trouble. There are two 'never get hit' challenges that can get aggravating but just equip your best long range attacks and make good use of Atreus and you'll do fine.

There's one 'beat 100 enemies' fight that can be tough if you have no way of healing yourself, so pay attention to your attachments.

Edit: Ancients are impossible to die to if they're alone. Just throw the axe and block. They literally can't hurt you. Most boring enemy in the game after nightmares.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I mean I got through uncharted 1 in the hd collection. Also Kiwami pretty jank. Can you give me a jank comparison?

Hmmm kh1 feels like a polished ps1 3d platformer- stiff and clunky but the fundamentals are strong enough to keep your interest high imo. The combat's fun and you get lots, of fun abilities. But kh2 cleans up those issues significantly and moving is much, much smoother and I think almost all if not 100% of the platforming challenges in 2 were removed. Don't expect a PlatinumGames joint but I think you'd end up liking them.

Just definitely do not try to follow the story closely & don't let the starting prologue area color your expectations of the entire game because it is bruuuuutal but only like an hour long.

Any other KH bros feel free to jump in if I'm super wrong or you got a stronger comparison, effort phone postin sucks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

you can block every attacks ancients do and it took me a few runs to figure this out. made them real trivial by just keeping my shield up and boy buttoning them when their chest ws open.

I literally forgot that you can just block stuff, I have been trying to parry or dodge every attack for the past couple of hours of play

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kingdom Hearts is one of those things that it blows my mind it exists.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RBA Starblade posted:

Kingdom Hearts is one of those things that it blows my mind it exists.

It's another one of those games I'll never understand the appeal of

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just so everyone is clear

KH 1.5+2.5 includes KH 1&2, Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep as playable games and cutscene movies of 358/2 Days and Re:Coded.

2.8 includes Dream Drop Distance (the 3DS game), 0.2 which is a short sequel to BBS/prequel to KH3 and a background movie for the mobile game.

Clear

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So does 2.8 include KH2 in any form or is it literally just the most misleading game title in history

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just enjoy beating things with a giant key until they burst into green balls. It feels great! Fun bosses, great production values, lovely music. Play the main games on at least Pride difficulty to get the most out of them. KH2 has like fifteen hidden bosses and they're mostly awesome to fight.

And the best way to handle the story is to pay attention to every word, live and breathe the madness and Japanese-style melodrama. Don't fight it. Just let it consume you and you will be all the happier for it. All hail Nomura and his vision.

Sora. Donald. Goofy.
Sora. Donald. Goofy.
Sora. Donald. Goofy.
Sora. Donald. Goofy.
Sora. Donald. Goofy.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 18, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxuZIFSbQ9g&t=258s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

History Comes Inside! posted:

So does 2.8 include KH2 in any form or is it literally just the most misleading game title in history

No and it's only misleading if you don't realise that 2.8 comes in between 2.5 and 3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is Quorra in any of the Kingdom Hearts games

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

beep by grandpa posted:

Hmmm kh1 feels like a polished ps1 3d platformer- stiff and clunky but the fundamentals are strong enough to keep your interest high imo. The combat's fun and you get lots, of fun abilities. But kh2 cleans up those issues significantly and moving is much, much smoother and I think almost all if not 100% of the platforming challenges in 2 were removed. Don't expect a PlatinumGames joint but I think you'd end up liking them.

Just definitely do not try to follow the story closely & don't let the starting prologue area color your expectations of the entire game because it is bruuuuutal but only like an hour long.

Any other KH bros feel free to jump in if I'm super wrong or you got a stronger comparison, effort phone postin sucks.

KH1 has a lot of exploration aspects that I missed in KH2; abilities like high jump and glide allow you to go back and access things you couldn't before, and there are puzzle rooms/mazes in places like Wonderland and Monstro. KH2's combat is a lot tighter, more focused on building and executing ridiculous combos, and doesn't let you get by on spamming heal the way 1 did.

Gummi ship stuff can be an interesting distraction, but is largely unnecessary to engage with beyond the bare minimum.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes, she's in Dream Drop Distance because it came out about the same time as Tron Legacy

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

No and it's only misleading if you don't realise that 2.8 comes in between 2.5 and 3

Renoistic posted:

Edit: 2.8 contains KH2.

lol yes this is definitely crystal clear and I'm the idiot not whatever clown started naming these games with loving decimal points

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

History Comes Inside! posted:

lol yes this is definitely crystal clear and I'm the idiot not whatever clown started naming these games with loving decimal points

Nah, I was mistaken :v:

Seriously though. It still blows my mind that Disney puts up with Nomura's insanity, and I hope they never stop. I struggle to call the story 'good' but it sure is unique. And the mix of ineptly directed and written melodrama, cosmic power fuckery, Final Fantasy, and Disney characters (complete with celebrity VAs) , all played completely straight makes it a treasure. Also, I genuinely 100% unironically enjoy every scene with Sora/Donald/Goofy. The worst part of Days and DDD is that Donald and Goofy aren't in your party.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 18, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they should definitely stop letting him do whatever he wants because that leads to games getting delayed for a decade or more

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Nah, I was mistaken :v:

Yeah I figured I was just making a point that it's not as obvious as some people seem to think and your post handily proved it!

I'm picking up the 1.5+2.5 collection tomorrow since my backlog is now empty and I don't have any plans to play anything in particular between now and Kiwami 2

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they should definitely stop letting him do whatever he wants because that leads to games getting delayed for a decade or more

KH without Nomura is like Metal Gear without Kojima. I take the good with the bad. Then again, MGS Rising exists so there are exceptions to the rule...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they don't have to take him off the game to stop him from loving around for 13 years

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

Just so everyone is clear

KH 1.5+2.5 includes KH 1&2, Chain of Memories and Birth By Sleep as playable games and cutscene movies of 358/2 Days and Re:Coded.

2.8 includes Dream Drop Distance (the 3DS game), 0.2 which is a short sequel to BBS/prequel to KH3 and a background movie for the mobile game.

Clear

*extremely movie cliche voice* Again, in English this time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Renoistic posted:

KH without Nomura is like Metal Gear without Kojima. I take the good with the bad. Then again, MGS Rising exists so there are exceptions to the rule...

MGR is so loving good it makes my head spin. I'm a huge fan of all the mainlines (Peace Walker is very underrated & MGS4 I was underwhelmed by, storywise. The localization is soooo bad. Ironically, Revengrance has the best localization and they absolutely nailed the codec calls).

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The most insane thing about the KH series is the cast list. Just look up KH2 on IMDB. It’s a bad game about Anime; the boy and mickey mouse hitting evil shadows with a big key and christopher lee, cheech marin, angela lansbury and zach braff are in it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

James fuckin Woods. Iirc Japanese James Woods sounds so good I'm not convinced that's not just James Woods speaking Japanese :xd:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Did the old Criterion members left for Codemasters? I'm getting strong Burnout vibes from Onrush. If anyone wants to try an arcade racer on ps4 try the beta.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Has there even been a whisper of a Soul Sacrifice sequel or update for PS4?

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Attitude Indicator posted:

The most insane thing about the KH series is the cast list. Just look up KH2 on IMDB. It’s a bad game about Anime; the boy and mickey mouse hitting evil shadows with a big key and christopher lee, cheech marin, angela lansbury and zach braff are in it.

YOU'RE a bad game about anime!!!!!!! :ssj:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
YaKiwami: Oh my god, Zombie Majima :allears: It was amazing, not only the lenghts he went to pull it off, but that Kiryu, a man in his mid-thirties bought it and was legitimately terrified. He will always be our special boy.

Also, the game is finally playing like it should from the start. The assault on the Triad Building and climbing the abandoned building to reach Shinji were amazing, just bursting Heat Actions out of the rear end and seamlessly changing styles and mowing down everything in my path. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to lock so many fun abilities, the beginning of the game wouldn't be such a chore without this bullshit.

And I'm actually running into good sidestories! The Little Match Girl, The White Bag, The one with the runaway couple, The Yakuza Apprentice, all of those were pretty drat good. And as always, it's a delight to meet Majima on the way to complete those. Even better, now he appears and invades the fights that occur in the middle of the street.

And, uh, Kiryu, you're nowhere as good at this as you think...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I won't have time for much video gams this weekend but man I can't wait to play more 0. I love this fuckin series and I'm like no where into the first game at all. Kiryu's inner monologue such as the post above are so my poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Double_0_Snake/status/997575242313879552

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Has there even been a whisper of a Soul Sacrifice sequel or update for PS4?

i think inafune is busy being a trainwreck hasbeen, marvelous is busy making senran karuga games, and japan studio is busy doing whatever cause ps4 is the lead platform for monster hunter now out of nowhere so they don't need to compete

i did some googling on inafune's comments about ss and before delta was announced he gave an interview saying he had a sequel planned out and hoped it would drive vita sales, but that obviously didn't happen and they just rereleased the game with bonus stuff instead.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

beep by grandpa posted:

I won't have time for much video gams this weekend but man I can't wait to play more 0. I love this fuckin series and I'm like no where into the first game at all. Kiryu's inner monologue such as the post above are so my poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Double_0_Snake/status/997575242313879552

I love every time Kiryu barges into a fight, kicking a door or punching someone from off screen or holding someone's fist, it's always intense. You'd think after the hundred time you pummeled someone it'd get old, but nope.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i loved ssd by the way...well i should say i loved everything from concept to style except playing it cause god drat it was too hard for poor me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I miss Soul Sacrifice so much you guys

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the combat loadouts were really really cool but i took me forever to figure out how everything worked and synergized and how to upgrade and farm stuff. i found a guide online that felt necessary to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

YaKiwami: Oh my god, Zombie Majima :allears: It was amazing, not only the lenghts he went to pull it off, but that Kiryu, a man in his mid-thirties bought it and was legitimately terrified. He will always be our special boy.

Also, the game is finally playing like it should from the start. The assault on the Triad Building and climbing the abandoned building to reach Shinji were amazing, just bursting Heat Actions out of the rear end and seamlessly changing styles and mowing down everything in my path. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to lock so many fun abilities, the beginning of the game wouldn't be such a chore without this bullshit.

And I'm actually running into good sidestories! The Little Match Girl, The White Bag, The one with the runaway couple, The Yakuza Apprentice, all of those were pretty drat good. And as always, it's a delight to meet Majima on the way to complete those. Even better, now he appears and invades the fights that occur in the middle of the street.

And, uh, Kiryu, you're nowhere as good at this as you think...

Kiryu thinks this all the time

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
ooo best buy just stopped selling GCU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

ooo best buy just stopped selling GCU

How much longer until Amazon drops their 20% discount?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

BisterdDave posted:

How much longer until Amazon drops their 20% discount?

probably instantly

as someone who still almost exclusively buys physical i'm happy i just renewed my GCU in march

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've played 60 hours of Y0 (mostly to unlock the Dragon styles for both) and I'm only at the beginning of Chapter 13. I adore this game

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kiryu thinks this all the time

me and my girlfriend miss our beautiful smooth good majima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

(i miss the hostess minigame)