Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dehry posted:

Blue was just a kid trying to show off that he knew more about Pokemon than the player. Anime Gary leaked into your memories of the game.

Blue was surprisingly helpful during the first game, telling you where you can get some pages for your pokedex, telling you you'll need badges to get through Victory Road, and battling you at inopportune times to keep you on your toes, almost as if telling you your pokémon need to be at a specific level going forward if you don't want to get slaughtered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

cheetah7071 posted:

Sufficiently-enhanced remakes would be fine, Kanto sequels would be fine, spinoffs would be fine, just don't stick Pokemon GO elements into the mainline games like the titles suggest, please

Pokémon Go's combat is probably not going to be included as its been noted that its weak compared to the mainline RPG. Other aspects such as seeing monsters in the overworld (which has been done in other RPGs like Chrono Trigger) and the actual act of catching (which is more interactive then selecting a ball and hoping for the best) would probably make it in though.

Also looking at that phone case, I'm a bit surprised that some Gen 5 (Vanillite, Litwick and Solosis), Gen 6 (Swirlix) and Gen 7 (Bountsweet) are included. Could that mean anything or am I just seeing things.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

There's a movie coming out with eevee costarring, so the merchandise might be related to that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

Blue was surprisingly helpful during the first game, telling you where you can get some pages for your pokedex, telling you you'll need badges to get through Victory Road, and battling you at inopportune times to keep you on your toes, almost as if telling you your pokémon need to be at a specific level going forward if you don't want to get slaughtered

Otoh the player character kills his raticate and takes the pokemon champion title from him like 30 seconds after he wins it initially which kind of makes you the dick (although I always played Blue version so maybe I really was gary all along :ohdear:)

Speaking of, I know that "You killed Blue's Raticate" is generally one of those "retroactively applying edgy themes to a children's game", but did the designers ever say anything about what the actual intent of that whole "missing raticate and Blue's in Lavender Town" sequence was, or nah

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm a little nervous about the names even though I like both Pikachu and Eevee. Not because they break the naming conventions for mainline games, but because I was hoping for a new region, but focusing a new region on two gen 1 pokemon doesn't make much sense, even the 'series mascots'. A return to Kanto would make sense with the names, though.

Can't wait for Eevee to have a ghost-type evolution.

EDIT: I would seriously love a ghost-type Eevee evolution, the more dumb the better.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vincent Van Goat posted:

There's a movie coming out with eevee costarring, so the merchandise might be related to that.

Eevee is costarring because of the new games, duh.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh hey, there's a good point that Kanto might not be a new region but it's also kinda teeny based on being the first with a lot of room to expand when it's not a straight remake.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I'm a little nervous about the names even though I like both Pikachu and Eevee. Not because they break the naming conventions for mainline games, but because I was hoping for a new region, but focusing a new region on two gen 1 pokemon doesn't make much sense, even the 'series mascots'. A return to Kanto would make sense with the names, though.

EDIT: I would seriously love a ghost-type Eevee evolution, the more dumb the better.

Ghost/Normal
I mean all Eeveelutions get access to Shadow Ball anyway so why not.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Why is everyone acting like eevee and its evolutions haven't been a huge portion of the merchandise for years now? There was even an eevee-themed 3DS in 2013.

Not saying the leaks are real or fake, but its like saying they must be true because why all the pikachu all of a sudden?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if it's really just a remake of Yellow with a bunch of Pokemon Go integration, that's very disappointing. USUM was so strong - easily my favorite entry in the series - and I worry this could be a big step back. also Pokemon Go loving sucks, don't integrate that poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mizuti posted:

I could live without its shiny, though.

The shiny version is sooooooo much better than the regular version

PetraCore posted:

Let's Go Pokemon takes an unexpectedly dark turn on the SS Anne

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 18, 2018

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

to evolve into its ghost form, it has to level up and then faint within the same battle

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
it'll be called Appariteon

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dienes posted:

Why is everyone acting like eevee and its evolutions haven't been a huge portion of the merchandise for years now? There was even an eevee-themed 3DS in 2013.

Not saying the leaks are real or fake, but its like saying they must be true because why all the pikachu all of a sudden?
Yeah, it's much more likely eevee was picked along with pikachu because it's super popular. Pikachu's the mascot (although iirc GameFreak thought clefairy would be the mascot pokemon and the shift to pikachu was either last-second or unexpected, I forget) but eevee has been played up as a secondary mascot for a while, it's cute and fluffy and has the evolution gimmick so if you have a specific type you like chances are good eevee can help you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Eevee is a better mascot because of how central evolution is to the series, imo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
eeveelutions are the homestuck trolls of pokemon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eevee is a good dog.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I like eevee more because eevee's evolutions are praised and uplifted meanwhile raichu is sitting on 20 years of poo poo treatment.

Like from the in-universe point of view, yeah, not evolving is a valid path to take because you shouldn't just be throwing your pokemon's preferences aside for strength boosts. Out of universe, it's also totally fine to like the design of a pokemon more than what it evolves into, and that's actually fairly common I feel. But the way raichu has constantly been sidelined and even portrayed as bad up until Alolan raichu is... weird?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I just hope Flareon either gets a brand-new movelist or a complete stat rebalance. There's a good chance all of the Eeveelutions get some boosts if this rumor is true, but Flareon needs it most. (I know Glaceon is poo poo too, but that's more a function of its typing.)

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

less laughter posted:

it'll be called Appariteon

Fighting type is Takemeon, ghost type is Illbegeon

This will be confirmed in a day or two

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PetraCore posted:

I like eevee more because eevee's evolutions are praised and uplifted meanwhile raichu is sitting on 20 years of poo poo treatment.

Like from the in-universe point of view, yeah, not evolving is a valid path to take because you shouldn't just be throwing your pokemon's preferences aside for strength boosts. Out of universe, it's also totally fine to like the design of a pokemon more than what it evolves into, and that's actually fairly common I feel. But the way raichu has constantly been sidelined and even portrayed as bad up until Alolan raichu is... weird?

Was it ever actually portrayed as "bad" outside of literally one anime episode with a "be yourself" moral though?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
People project a lot over one mon getting no attention.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they’ve had a whole Project Eevee initiative to push eevee as a top mascot since november

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
when are we getting Project Guzzlord

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

to evolve into its ghost form, it has to level up and then faint within the same battle

nah you take you eevee to a facility where they evolve it into a steel type and the coincidentally you also get a ghost type evolution.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
We won't get a ghost Eevee because only types that were Special in Gen 1 get eeveelutions. :colbert:
Which means maybe we'll get a dragon Eevee!

Wait what do you mean fairy wasn't in Gen 1

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Give me all the eevees. All the types and then double types. All combinations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fairy type was in gen 1 you just had to use cut on that truck 100 times to activate your zandatsu and slice it in half to free the typing

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, it's much more likely eevee was picked along with pikachu because it's super popular. Pikachu's the mascot (although iirc GameFreak thought clefairy would be the mascot pokemon and the shift to pikachu was either last-second or unexpected, I forget) but eevee has been played up as a secondary mascot for a while, it's cute and fluffy and has the evolution gimmick so if you have a specific type you like chances are good eevee can help you.

Based on an interview I read recently, the shift to Pikachu was mainly due to people just really liking it as the game was developed. A lot of people commented on how cute Pikachu was, so it was made the mascot by popular demand.

As much as I'd like to see a world where Clefairy was the mascot, I doubt Pokemon would have achieved such massive popularity. Pokemon probably would have been labeled a game "for girls" in North America, despite the fact that you couldn't even play as a girl in the original games. Put a cute, pink fairy creature on something and many little boys won't go near it. :/

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pikachu is cuter than Clefairy and a superior mascot.

Jigglypuff is better than both though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the mascot should have been starmie

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

Based on an interview I read recently, the shift to Pikachu was mainly due to people just really liking it as the game was developed. A lot of people commented on how cute Pikachu was, so it was made the mascot by popular demand.

As much as I'd like to see a world where Clefairy was the mascot, I doubt Pokemon would have achieved such massive popularity. Pokemon probably would have been labeled a game "for girls" in North America, despite the fact that you couldn't even play as a girl in the original games. Put a cute, pink fairy creature on something and many little boys won't go near it. :/

pikachu wasn't on either of the games that came out first though

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Was it ever actually portrayed as "bad" outside of literally one anime episode with a "be yourself" moral though?

Nah. Every Raichu but one was a dick, even the Alolan ones. One of the little fuckers would impale you to a tree and Hyper Beam your face point-blank.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 19, 2018

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

eeveelutions are the homestuck trolls of pokemon

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's what I was referring to. Like, it's not a big deal, raichu just gets ignored because pikachu sort of fell into a mascot role, I just think it's funny.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

less laughter posted:

Cute new Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee merch:

Targeting the main audience for these new games; adults

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dizz posted:

Targeting the main audience for these new games; adults

pokemon center sounds like a store for kids but most of the clothes they sell are only sized for adults

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Nessa posted:

I read some speculation that gengar was designed as a counterpart to clefairy, shape-wise, because clefairy was the intended mascot. Which just makes me imagine an alternate design where we got some mimikyu-like creepy fellow all the way in gen 1.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Son of a bitch. I was breeding truant durants in Ultra Sun. The fifth egg hatched as a 3V shiny....with the ability swarm, so I can't even capsule it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Dienes posted:

Son of a bitch. I was breeding truant durants in Ultra Sun. The fifth egg hatched as a 3V shiny....with the ability swarm, so I can't even capsule it.
I have a useless shiny collection for just these occasions. These are my children who are pretty but useless.

Then again I'm the wrong person to talk to about this since I'm deliberating leveling a shiny wooper to level 100 for the axolotl joke.