Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Flatscan posted:

That already happened.

Actually, I think you'll find that both Family Guy and Rick and Morty have maintained their general level of quality across their entire lifespans thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

the continuity episodes of south park sucked a huge dong

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The gently caress? I had no idea season 3 came out yesterday. Weird.

I'll pick it up later though,.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

AndyElusive posted:

South Park isn't hot garbage after 287 episodes and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

This is only possible if you turn yourself into social/current events commentary show, which is what South Park does well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Only the finest of limited-run television, milords? :discourse:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Only the finest of limited-run television, milords? :discourse:

Twin Peaks did a good job.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Simpsons remained great for 180 something episodes. Bob’s Burgers is well over 100 and the quality has never faltered. So it can be done.

Personally I think they shot themselves in the foot by going so hard on deconstructing the show after only 21 episodes so that, the hype, and the pressure to live up to the hype makes me think the show has no chance of ever living up to the praise of the first two seasons.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Howard Phillips posted:

Twin Peaks did a good job.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
R&M began deconstructing the show after less than 7 episode, arguably the show itself is a deconstruction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The industry in-jokes begin immediately, consider the ending of “Lawnmower Dog” when they are joking about the dog universe show

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Does the 100 episode milestone have something to do with the show potentially going into syndication? Isn't/wasn't that the point at which shows can be syndicated? I seem to remember ATHF making a joke about that.

Also, how has nobody pointed out the cat meowing sounds in the theme song and at the end of Bushworld?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does the 100 episode milestone have something to do with the show potentially going into syndication? Isn't/wasn't that the point at which shows can be syndicated? I seem to remember ATHF making a joke about that.

It's very possible. The standard for TV shows is/was 100 half-hour episodes (usually about five seasons), so that you can show one episode a day for twenty weeks (approximately the length of a TV season, back in the day). (ATHF had 100 fifteen-minute episodes at the time, so poor Shake was out of luck.)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule set by anyone, and they've syndicated shows with less, but the economics of it get very good at 100 episodes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I think it was a combination of
1) Starburns/Whatever Shell Company They Are Now wanting to get to the syndication milestone
2) Adultswim wanting to not have protracted negotiations each season
3) Roiland made a joke in the pilot about R&M going on for 100 episodes.

Sounds like 5 seasons x 14 episodes each...I highly doubt it is seven seasons of ten eps each. :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Does syndication still mean anything in this era of on-demand TV watching?

I'm serious, who in the Rick and Morty demographic is going to be watching reruns on cable and not just going to YouTube to watch an old episode whenever they want?

New episodes, sure, but who cares about syndication rights?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Does syndication still mean anything in this era of on-demand TV watching?

I'm serious, who in the Rick and Morty demographic is going to be watching reruns on cable and not just going to YouTube to watch an old episode whenever they want?

New episodes, sure, but who cares about syndication rights?

Purely conjecture, but syndication might just mean exactly that: hosting old episodes on Netflix/YT/whatever

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Last Chance posted:

Purely conjecture, but syndication might just mean exactly that: hosting old episodes on Netflix/YT/whatever

I can't imagine R&M being shown anywhere other than Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, or maybe SyFy. I just don't see it popping on a local channel anywhere.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Last Chance posted:

It's already on Hulu, along with most of the older adult swim stuff.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

South Park isn't hot garbage after 287 episodes and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:
South Park has always been hot garbage

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bawfuls posted:

South Park has always been hot garbage

nice soccer mom hot take, now do family guy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

South Park doesn't suck for being "edgy" or "profane" or whatever soccer mom take you're refering to. It sucks because the creators are smug Libertarians and their take on current events is always stupid.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

South Park doesn't suck for being "edgy" or "profane" or whatever soccer mom take you're refering to. It sucks because the creators are smug Libertarians and their take on current events is always stupid.

South Park’s political takes are so God drat stupid. Notable mentions include: “Sadam Hussein totally has weapons of mass destruction”, “Wikileaks releasing information on government war crimes is just like a tabloid gossip column that leaks your personal info”, and “Al Gore is a big stupid narcissist for trying to get people to take climate change seriously”.

Many of the non political episodes are still loving hilarious though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

South Park's central thesis is that caring about anything but your own selfish desires is dumb and bad.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Not to extend the South Park tangent, but didn't South Park's quality vary wildly depending on if the main two guys were working on it? When they were off making puppet movies or mormon musicals the writing became like, openly stupid rather than just like kind of stupid underneath still funny jokes.

I mean eventually they just stopped caring altogether, but I remember when I was still watching that you could basically call the quality of the season based on if the creators were going to be busy with other poo poo during production. I'm sure by now it's just the B-team writing pretty much all of it based on what they think would be South Park instead of what would be funny.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Trey Parker has written every single episode of South Park, if Six Days to Air is to be believed.

Which isn't to say that you're wrong about the quality dipping when he's distracted.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Slightly Absurd posted:

the continuity episodes of south park sucked a huge dong
It was alright the very first season they tried it, because it was pretty lighthearted stuff (like Butters getting owned one episode and then staying owned throughout the season), but then they went right up their rear end with it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule set by anyone, and they've syndicated shows with less, but the economics of it get very good at 100 episodes.

Disney, for instance, for a long time ran every TV cartoon to a minimum of 49 episodes for syndication reasons.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I gotta tell people that I've found someone who still cares about South Park. Do you have some photos of yourselves? Museums will want them.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

A good new flair imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grew up with South Park and it’s been funnier longer than the Simpsons was funny.

For reference my mother’s extremely conservative 62 year old boyfriend watches sports all day and cartoons all night. He has literally never heard of reddit but thinks Rick and Morty is the funniest thing in the world.

Syndication will make money until Boomers all die and let cable die with them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boomers are pretty much the only people who watch cable any more, right? Pretty sure pretty much every channel that doesn't appeal directly to them has been aggressively making GBS threads itself to death for the past decade at least.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boomers are pretty much the only people who watch cable any more, right? Pretty sure pretty much every channel that doesn't appeal directly to them has been aggressively making GBS threads itself to death for the past decade at least.

Channels these days are just a storage array and a computer set up to play video files in a certain order. For example, if you walk down the sidewalk past a certain address on Bloor St in Toronto, you can look into a glass-walled room to see the hardware racks responsible for the majority of cable channels broadcast in Canada, and the one person who monitors the equipment for failures. The equipment itself is only about a million or two every few years and could support hundreds of channels, mixing and remixing the content in storage. The main costs associated with any channel are going to be content licensing and marketing the channel. The less popular the content gets, the cheaper it gets to license, and the network continues to survive on cheaper advertising. The only time you see a network really change itself is if it spends a lot of money on custom content or if the advertisers just aren't biting.

Channels are always licensed to the cable companies as a bundle. Many of the popular, sports and news networks are unattainable unless you carry the network's minor lifestyle channels as well. Viacom is well known for using this tactic with Comedy Central and Nickelodeon. They will never allow cable companies carry only those two... Spike/Paramount Network, MTVU, MTV2, CMT, Logo, etc. also have to be included, and they will use the big channels as a bargaining chip. The a la carte bundles each network offers are also contractually stipulated as part of the licensing agreement. In most cases, unless the cable company is willing to pay Viacom or whoever else a ludicrous amount of money, any package with MTV has to include all of their music channels, all of the Nick channels have to come together, etc.. They also stipulate that their channels have to be included with any bundles that include competing channels. Same thing with streaming media services and studios/networks that handle digital broadcast rights. Star Trek is every TV series or nothing, and you're going to have to pay to carry a bunch of other CBS content for the privilege (usually niche content or terrible stuff that a studio is still trying to work off the books as a financial failure).

HBO, Showtime and Starz are a slightly different beast, because of the whole no/limited commercial factor. They make their money through mandatory a la carte offering on cable networks for a substantial monthly fee and product placement in their life/topical content. For example, Last Week Tonight makes a ton of dough from companies throwing themselves at HBO to have their products and brands featured on the show, even if the exposure isn't the most positive in the world. With how they license their content, there are no discounts allowed from any provider... you can offer a complimentary period as a promo or a free weekend, but never a discount. Not even Amazon could pull that one off.

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 20, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Varance posted:

They make their money through mandatory a la carte offering on cable networks for a substantial monthly fee and product placement in their life/topical content. For example, Last Week Tonight makes a ton of dough from companies throwing themselves at HBO to have their products and brands featured on the show, even if the exposure isn't the most positive in the world.

Whoa whoa wait, you're telling me that whole "I will drink this awful terrible lovely Bud Light Lime" bit was a paid for advertisement by Budweiser despite John Oliver going out of his way to describe the beer as the worst thing he ever tasted?

Marketing is weird.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Whoa whoa wait, you're telling me that whole "I will drink this awful terrible lovely Bud Light Lime" bit was a paid for advertisement by Budweiser despite John Oliver going out of his way to describe the beer as the worst thing he ever tasted?

Marketing is weird.

After that, people will actually go out and try Bud Light Lime, just to see how lovely it is. And if they like it, they might actually keep drinking it.

(I was working for A-B when that launched and got a free case of it before it went on sale. Took it over to a party. Lost a couple of friends.)

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 20, 2018

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah it was hot garbage all along

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

drat it I watch that knife show on cable I am old aren't I?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Elephanthead posted:

drat it I watch that knife show on cable I am old aren't I?

Is that stag horn?

That's right Jerry, this is authentic stag horn on the handle.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's also property managers doing bundle deals for entire buildings, and they're usually not optional. I've technically got cable and I pay for it via my rent even though in the last 8 months of living here, I've watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics and a random 15 minutes of an episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. It's not like I get the chance to opt out.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's also property managers doing bundle deals for entire buildings, and they're usually not optional. I've technically got cable and I pay for it via my rent even though in the last 8 months of living here, I've watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics and a random 15 minutes of an episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. It's not like I get the chance to opt out.
Yeah, a lot of the big apartment companies like Camden force that because they take a cut of the "cable fee." It's an excuse to charge more rent, plus it allows them to keep cable install contractors from messing with their buildings or having to wire their places for multiple providers. It's usually an extra quarter million in profit a year for the complex, depending on the size. The worst is when they force your Internet as well, especially when there are better options available or the complex is just bandwidth saturated and you get the equivalent of ISDN/3G service during the prime time hours. Guess you better watch that cable, because you're not doing anything useful on the Internet. When I last moved into an apartment, both of those policies were a dealbreaker for me.

It's the same with services like trash concierge. I'm not too lazy to drop a trash bag in the dumpster as I go out the front gate, but still have to pay $20 anyway?

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

South Park was fun when it was repeatedly "kids are smarter than the adults" and "Cartman leads a quest to make $10M from a mega-church/tooth fairy crime syndicate/Christian band" and not "Cartman hates all the Jews and has a girlfriend now who he hates and wants to murder" or "the town is dying to be super progressive and two kids get railroaded into being a gay couple even though they weren't before for some reason".

Back on track, I can't remember the last thing I consistently found as funny after the first viewing as I do Bushworld Adventures but I'm watching it for the 500th time right now and it's still :allears:. "AWKWARD TURTLE?"

Mister Kingdom posted:

I can't imagine R&M being shown anywhere other than Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, or maybe SyFy. I just don't see it popping on a local channel anywhere.

Doubtful and I agree, but South Park was on WGN of all places briefly in syndication. They repackaged it as "South Park NOW!" for some reason.