Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah, Jim Starling is the Ducktales character, Jim Sterling is a weird-looking guy on Youtube who dresses like Oddjob and has bad opinions about video games
Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hey guys, did I tell you I don't like *internet personality*? Oh *internet personality* makes me so mad!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

khwarezm posted:

Hey guys, did I tell you I don't like *internet personality*? Oh *internet personality* makes me so mad!

For some reason I read this in Strong Bad and Homestar's voices(first line for the former, second for the latter)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, time to bunker up against Internet Cartoon Dudes, I guess

https://twitter.com/rwmead/status/997539690847891457?s=21

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffleman_ posted:

Glad to see they're finally gonna make a good Thundercats

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't think Thundercats is as beloved as Teen Titans, so the nostalgia goggles won't color peoples' opinions of this one as much, I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I'm banking on Thundercats predating most of the Dudes What Have Strong Opinions On Cartoons' experiences.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I see they've decided to take a big steaming dump on one of my favorite childhood cartoons in order to duplicate what they think is success with TTGo. "Yay!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rassle posted:

I see they've decided to take a big steaming dump on one of my favorite childhood cartoons in order to duplicate what they think is success with TTGo. "Yay!"

TTGo is successful so, lol. I hope that dump is full of corn.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rassle posted:

What was your opinion on Star Wars The Last Jedi

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Both the "self-aware" comedic angle and derivative visual style seem like bad choices made because those are the trends, which sucks. That intro is fun though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not annoyed that it's nothing like the old shows, but more that it looks like 90 % of everything else on the network and that CN appears to be allergic to anything that isn't 75 % comedic right now. It doesn't look like it offers anything that the more original properties like OK K.O. and Steven Universe do, either, so attaching that general aesthetic onto an existing property just feels like CN is enforcing a house style more than anything.

Also, for all he did to pump up the intro, it's not really anything special and goes by way too quickly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure a lot of internet people will credit their sexual awakenings to sexy cat people.

For the real reboot humor, they need to draw all the dude cats sexy and muscular, while Cheetara wears practical, skin-covering clothing and is given a cool but completely non-sexual portrayal.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I'm banking on Thundercats predating most of the Dudes What Have Strong Opinions On Cartoons' experiences.

It aired on Toonami, too, so there's gotta be a poser or old man or two.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm willing to give this a chance actually.

It has actual animation.
And the 2011 series was so loving miserable that something in the opposite direction of being cute and fun is actually really appealing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it could be fun, but I don't really like the angle it's going at. It doesn't look like it has much ambition beyond just doing what other shows are already doing just with the star power of a half-forgotten 80s IP. They look like they're aiming to be real dumb.

And this is directly on the heels of the last attempt at a Thundercats revival failed. Not sure exactly why that happened there, I think maybe the show wound up too boring.

Also I loving hate that guy's hair.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I don't think Thundercats is as beloved as Teen Titans, so the nostalgia goggles won't color peoples' opinions of this one as much, I think.

Waffleman_ posted:

Rassle posted:

This is a pretty amazing 3-post string

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So has CN aired anything new this week? I know they're doing a new TTG episode in two weeks, but this is starting to remind me when they only did new episode bombs for select weeks and then nothing but reruns back in 2015.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 18, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Two things worth mentioning with regards to Thundercats:
the 2011 Thundercats, Batman: Brave and the Bold, and Teen Titans Go share the same co-showrunner/head writer (Michael Jelenic)

and the showrunner for the upcoming Thundercats is Victor Coutright, who served as a writer/boarder/character designer on Pickle and Peanut and created these shorts for CN a while back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Gtwye1bs4

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
The new Thundercats looks fun and happy and I'll give it a try :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

So has CN aired anything new this week? I know they're doing a new TTG episode in two weeks, but this is starting to remind me when they only did new episode bombs for select weeks and then nothing but reruns back in 2015.

Don't they (and the other networks like Nick and Disney) basically stop airing any new stuff during summer?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Shitenshi posted:

There are four new episodes of OK KO airing tomorrow

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Don't they (and the other networks like Nick and Disney) basically stop airing any new stuff during summer?

CN has advertised new Steven Universe for the summer

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On its own taking the piss out of Thundercats (to say nothing of that whole pantheon of 80's buy all our playsets and toys cartoon) is a pretty solid idea.

On the other hand oh boy am I really getting tired of this Ugly Super Deformed look.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't really have any issues with the premise except that I don't get why Thundercats.

Like, if they're gonna do something with Thundercats, they should seriously just keep trying to A:TLA it until something works. This is already facing the issue that it's... kind of just OK KO + TTG.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ConanThe3rd posted:

On the other hand oh boy am I really getting tired of this Ugly Super Deformed look.

That art style looks like rear end, someone please stop whoever keeps trying to push it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't really have any issues with the premise except that I don't get why Thundercats.

Probably so they can have a lot of cat jokes AND fantasy setting jokes. Instant success formula for the internet age.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Yardbomb posted:

That art style looks like rear end, someone please stop whoever keeps trying to push it.

It looks like someone threw together parts of the styles from Cartoon Network's other cartoons, like Adventure Time's noodle arms, Gumball's faces, and the circle eyes from OK KO and older animations like the Mr. Owl Tootsie Pop commercial, which are all right, but when they're blended together it's just a copycat mess

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Probably so they can have a lot of cat jokes AND fantasy setting jokes. Instant success formula for the internet age.

I just feel like there's an insanely obvious angle for Thundercats and it's not this. The older reboot had the right idea, it just wasn't executed well enough and also got promoted like absolute poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Hey, Adventure Time is ending soon, CN wants/needs another comedy action series with simple designs. So I guess what I'm saying is either blame Pen Ward or blame the tons of folks who fell in love with AT when it first debuted.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just feel like there's an insanely obvious angle for Thundercats and it's not this. The older reboot had the right idea, it just wasn't executed well enough and also got promoted like absolute poo poo.

I thought people really liked the recent reboot, it just failed anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TwoPair posted:

I thought people really liked the recent reboot, it just failed anyway.

I've heard that it apparently did really well, but the toys were super fragile and nobody bought them, which was enough to sink an otherwise well performing show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That sounds like a toy problem rather than a show problem.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm willing to give this a chance actually.

It has actual animation.
And the 2011 series was so loving miserable that something in the opposite direction of being cute and fun is actually really appealing.

You take that back. :catbert:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!! :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Its been ages so I forget, but I think the 2011 show had a rather incredible cinematic pilot written by the main producer. Then he was pulled for other projects, and they had other animation studios handle the rest of the episodes rather than the really pricey one they got for the pilot. After that it was just dread and wheel-spinning until its quiet death.

https://twitter.com/Jpolgar1/status/997541096946270209

Jeremy Polgar's directing on the new one, and the intro looks sick as gently caress, so I'm game for a new action-y animated comedy.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 19, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gaunab posted:

That sounds like a toy problem rather than a show problem.

To stupid big whigs, toy problems = show problems.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

All I know is, if they so much as look in the direction of SilverHawks, blood will rain down from the heavens and the streets will crunch with the splintered bones of CN Executives.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Internet Cartoon Dudes or no, I don't think I can get behind Gumballcats

This kind of makes that idea I remember pitched a long time ago where the Thundercats were all teens in a band together sound not so terrible.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 19, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what little I remember of the 2011 series, I think the characters ended up not being that interesting to follow? The thing that I remember the most is that when they had the reveal that their fantasy world of animal folk had the origin of being some kind of crashed alien prison ship, I was a little angry at the show for pissing around doing nothing for so long when they were sitting on that gem.

But I guess when you're trying to do a straightforward dramatic show nowadays, there's the urge to play it slow and steady with your insane worldbuilding, as opposed to the 80s when they played fast and loose and basically just threw whatever insane stupid poo poo they had off the top of their heads into the mix.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

Internet Cartoon Dudes or no, I don't think I can get behind Gumballcats

Gumball is already a cat so you'll have to find a new name.

Rassle posted:

All I know is, if they so much as look in the direction of SilverHawks, blood will rain down from the heavens and the streets will crunch with the splintered bones of CN Executives.

Man I had to actually google that (as opposed to thundercats which people heap praise/nostalgia on so much I know character names without having seen an episode), I don't think you'll have a problem.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
nvm double post