Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Big Nep sale on Steam. I'm thinking of picking up the Re:birth games, even though I have them on Vita. Is any of the DLC worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also are any of the other games worth? Or if it's not nep is it garbage?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SoftNum posted:

Also are any of the other games worth? Or if it's not nep is it garbage?

I had fun with Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force (in the IFI RPG bundle). It's kind of like a budge version of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, to be honest (despite being the older game).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

Big Nep sale on Steam. I'm thinking of picking up the Re:birth games, even though I have them on Vita. Is any of the DLC worth getting?

Rebirth 1

The DLC characters can be swapped in during times Neptune is supposed to be alone. Additional Content packs boost the max level and add more challenges.

Rebirth 2

Histy's rescue plans are helpful for grinding. The same level boosts are above

Rebirth 3
There's literally one thing.

The $9.99 deluxe packs are wallpapers and a pdf art book

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I believe the Deluxe packs also come with the soundtrack, and you need that because Splash is the best Nep song.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Ornamented Death posted:

I had fun with Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force (in the IFI RPG bundle). It's kind of like a budge version of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, to be honest (despite being the older game).

Just be aware that some people get graphical glitches with this game. Mainly UI ones that cause flickering text and stuff. I'm sadly one of those people, even though the Fairy Fencer F they released before this one worked perfectly fine.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Just a note that the OST files themselves are all over the place tag wise and you'll need to fix them manually if you want to know track names during playback and etc. Also only in MP3 with no uncompressed option like FLAC. One other thing that I'm not 100% sure isn't just me, but some of the files in Superdimension Neptune VS. Sega Hard Girls have weird audio artifacts.

As for games to get, Superdimension Neptune is basically RB4, and Four Goddesses Online has a decent amount of content and decent gameplay. The rest can be skipped unless you really want more Neptunia.

If you do play Hyperdevotion Noire and Megatagmension Blanc, I'd recommend approaching them as fictional works created by those specific characters, since they become quite interesting character studies when you do that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Lord Justice posted:

If you do play Hyperdevotion Noire and Megatagmension Blanc, I'd recommend approaching them as fictional works created by those specific characters, since they become quite interesting character studies when you do that.

Blanc is the only game where they cut the subtext and have Nepear and Uni admit they're in love with each other.

In this context, does that mean Blanc ships her friends little sisters together?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Flytrap posted:

Blanc is the only game where they cut the subtext and have Nepear and Uni admit they're in love with each other.

In this context, does that mean Blanc ships her friends little sisters together?

who the heck isn't shipping Nepgear x Uni

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Will Uni relocate to Planeptune now that her duty as Lastation Candidate is finally coming to an end?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Will Uni relocate to Planeptune now that her duty as Lastation Candidate is finally coming to an end?

Wait, what? Is this a vita joke? I like Uni.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

numerrik posted:

Wait, what? Is this a vita joke? I like Uni.

Vita cartridges are ending in the West, so with that, the Vita is officially reaching the end over here, held together exclusively by the digital store.

In Japan, the Vita's fine, so

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Flytrap posted:

Yes, which is the point. It shows that Blanc is part of shipping culture. I don't know about subtext, though. It's been a while since I played RB2 but I feel part of the point of Geki Blanc is that it's making the characters act out of character since it's essentially fan-fiction.

Incidentally, I'm fairly certain that Geki Blanc actually existing as a fictional work is canon. From 4GO:

Considering that Tamsoft is part of Blanc's light novel or whatever it is (which wouldn't make sense if Blanc didn't know who she was), them recognizing each other seems to support it existing, since it's the only other property where Tamsoft could have helped Blanc.

A few other things on re-interpreting these specific works.

With Geki Noire, we see a few particularities with Noire (and I believe that Geki Noire was written by HD Noire, not UD Noire). First, her superiority complex is on full display, given that she effortlessly beats the other CPUs, and later acts as their leader. The protagonist is also interesting, considering it seems to be playing into Noire's insecurity about her sexuality. I'm fairly certain HD Noire is mostly straight (thus the protagonist in Geki Noire and "I don't like girls like that" coming up a few times in VII), but with some bi-curiosity in regards to Neptune, thus the whole "tsundere" act. This is also why I feel HD Noire wrote it, since UD Noire states more than once how she doesn't like men at all, and thus I feel it's a safe assumption she's gay.

The other property I feel is a fictional work is Hello New World, the manga spinoff. Hello New World is a very weird manga, with insane plots (even for Neptunia), and the sexualization of the characters is far higher than in the games. Given this, I feel Neptune created it. Insane plots is obviously something Neptune would come up with, and given how forward she is sometimes with sexuality (see the encounter with Steamax in VII as an example here), that part of the manga also now makes sense. As well, there's an entire chapter where Vert "steals" all of the CPU Candidates, with the CPUs having to figure out how to get them back. Obviously, this plays into how Neptune feels about Vert trying to make Nepgear her little sister, and shows it probably bothers her more than she lets on.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If we're considering the actual state of the Vita in regards to Uni, then she should have been dying in the hospital for years, completely ignored by her sister and only sometimes gets visits from small time Makers.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is the Nep content I crave.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nepgear and Uni can bond over being dead systems nobody plays anymore

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Nepgear and Uni can bond over being dead systems nobody plays anymore

Vert will soon be joining them.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's time for the rise of the PC! And give PC a second goddess, so we can have GPU wars. Mainly I want an excuse to have a goddess not Peashy for PC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Peashy is supposed to represent the PC Engine iirc, which is one of those pre-NES Japan exclusive consoles (I think I'm not 100% sure)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Compile Heart doesn't have the guts to replace any of the known characters. Uni will just turn into a Sony phone or something. Maybe Forward form to reference ForwardWorks.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Uni should defect to Lowee since the Switch is really just the Vita 2 anyway.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Peashy is meant to be the PC Engine or TurboGrafx 16, yes.

I always felt that the Candidates not having Next Gen Forms was a missed opportunity, since you can actually name the Forms rather than just calling them Next "Colour", for example:
Nomad Purple
Vita Black
and 3D White.

If PC is going to have representation, the best idea would be to use personifications of the online digital distribution services, such as Steam, GoG, Origin, and Blizzard (a bit of a stretch but whatever). Call them "GPUs" (I don't know what this acronym would stand for, but it works well as a counter to "CPU"), and instead of going HDD, they "Overclock" themselves instead.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's upsetting that PC-Engine, one of the best systems, is represented by one of the worst characters.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I spent a somewhat embarrassing amount of money on Nep last night.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Ornamented Death posted:

I spent a somewhat embarrassing amount of money on Nep last night.

On what VIIR or the psvr to with it?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

numerrik posted:

On what VIIR or the psvr to with it?

Nah just buying all the Nep games in the big bundle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah just buying all the Nep games in the big bundle.

That's still less than the normal retail price of a single game

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

cheetah7071 posted:

That's still less than the normal retail price of a single game

It is but Steam has conditioned me to look aghast at any price above ten bucks.

I'm actually really happy with the purchase, there's now a ton of Nep in my future.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ornamented Death posted:

It is but Steam has conditioned me to look aghast at any price above ten bucks.

I'm actually really happy with the purchase, there's now a ton of Nep in my future.

Welcome home, friend.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got the two spinoffs I had been meaning to play for a while now (nep vs seha and 4go) so there is nep in my future as well

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What’s gooncensus on seha? I’m thinking about it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

numerrik posted:

What’s gooncensus on seha? I’m thinking about it.

I have 4GO ready to start soon so keep that in mind, but of all the rest SeHa is hands down the best side game and could easily have been a mainline release if you ask me

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

What's the gameplay like for the sega girls game? Only Neptunia I've played is a bit of Rebirth 1 which I quit after a few hours. I like the sega girls but if it's more slow, super brainless turn-based combat, I'll pass.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sivek posted:

What's the gameplay like for the sega girls game? Only Neptunia I've played is a bit of Rebirth 1 which I quit after a few hours. I like the sega girls but if it's more slow, super brainless turn-based combat, I'll pass.

Combat runs a lot faster, and I've described it before as a successor to Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - you are going to run out of time, and you have to loop the game with more strength and cleaning up quests to make further progress.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What do I need to do to get a controller working with the PC version of Nep vs Seha? Do I need to emulate 360 or what?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

What do I need to do to get a controller working with the PC version of Nep vs Seha? Do I need to emulate 360 or what?

Depends on your controller/OS. If you have a 360 or Xbone controller you should be able to just plug it in and have it work as is on Windows 7 or higher.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need the controller plugged in before you boot the game, otherwise it'll default to keyboard and you'll need to change it manually. This will also happen if you unplug the controller while the game is running.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I ended up getting the controller working but apparently it's a known issue that the game basically doesn't function (textures don't load) on my graphics card, which is hosed up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And people wonder why I just buy everything on console

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

And people wonder why I just buy everything on console

this is not a problem I have literally ever had before with any PC game. The port seems pretty shoddy all around just from the five minutes I got to play

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Funnily enough, the Japanese version of 4GO crashed on my PS4 multiple times, and the problem never occurred on the PC port. The problem is the companies involved not really caring. Every Neptunia game port is basically "fine", but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I have crashed nearly every Neptunia game on a Playstation console at least once, hardlocked a PS3 with the original Neptunia and had to pull the power cord, and in the Vita version of Rebirth 3 I entered a random encounter and the encounter swirl never ended, creating a really amusing visual but also requiring me to restart the software and losing my progress since last save.