Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

how hasn't the word "problematic" been mocked out of serious usage yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because anytime you mock its usage you get called a nazi or something. I just ignore it entirely and pretend there is an awkward space in a sentence.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Just wanted to say Brooklyn 99 is a good show and cops are the thin blue line between peace and rapemurderpillage anarchy

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
There's that time the newest sidekick in Star Wars was a social justice droid named L337
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2018/05/15/meet-phoebe-waller-bridge-revolutionary-new-solo-star-wars-droid/608557002/

leet!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Now to be fair, the droids in Star Wars are literally slaves

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/GeorgeHWBush/status/996489197300142080?s=20

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Peanut President posted:

only good cop show is Law and Order because they show cops to be the fuckin cheatin rear end dweebs they are

"whaddaya mean we gotta read em Miranda when we arrest em???"--lenny brisco and also the entire real life nypd

Chicago PD

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

get that OUT of my face posted:

I've been doing my part for ages. it's a meaningless word for people unwilling to take a stand and call something bad and then justify it. they think they can get away saying problematic and not have to ever back up the claim and it's bullshit

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

cops are the thin blue line between peace and rapemurderpillage anarchy

Jeb, this isn't the hot takes thread.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/usairforce/status/997167056276611072

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/997158853941772288?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gently caress the nazis finally figured out that the secret code to getting liberals on their side was to own a coffee shop and get its windows smashed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Really want to see the original tweet now

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/996565673966014464

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

it was something like "our enemies wish they had heard either laurel or yanny instead of the BRRRRAP of an a-10's autocannon"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Not nearly as bad as I was envisioning. Thanks.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hahahahahahahaha

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Hillary saw Hamilton more times than she visited Wisconsin

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Shear Modulus posted:

gently caress the nazis finally figured out that the secret code to getting liberals on their side was to own a coffee shop and get its windows smashed

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

immortal technique should have bullied miranda to death

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He voices Gizmoduck now.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

this rules

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
hamilton is poo poo

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

he still could, inshallah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

I've been doing my part for ages. it's a meaningless word for people unwilling to take a stand and call something bad and then justify it. they think they can get away saying problematic and not have to ever back up the claim and it's bullshit

it's just a random adjective dude

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"Problematic" is a good word for certain situations, particularly ones where something is probably wrong/offensive/hurtful but not directly bigoted. Or when there's some level of ambiguity to whether something is okay or not, which is often the case because that's how culture/society works.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

"Problematic" is a good word for certain situations, particularly ones where something is probably wrong/offensive/hurtful but not directly bigoted. Or when there's some level of ambiguity to whether something is okay or not, which is often the case because that's how culture/society works.

But in that case isn't it just a synonym for "I don't like that?" Video games were "problematic" for the wives of Gore and Clinton. But who cares? Sounds like a signal word to dismiss the speaker out of hand.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it’s the word you deploy when something doesn’t meet the threshold of a term like racism

so for example it’s problematic when black people call eachother the n word

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it’s the word you deploy when something doesn’t meet the threshold of a term like racism

so for example it’s problematic when black people call eachother the n word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYUd6VYriU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
brands make me want to loving vomit

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

But in that case isn't it just a synonym for "I don't like that?" Video games were "problematic" for the wives of Gore and Clinton. But who cares? Sounds like a signal word to dismiss the speaker out of hand.

the gamergate weirdo is very upset that people use a word that hurt his feelings

raise hands all those who are surprised

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ze Pollack posted:

the gamergate weirdo is very upset that people use a word that hurt his feelings

raise hands all those who are surprised

Tell the #brands thread where #gamergate touched you.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

please for the love of god do NOT bring up g*amerg*ate in here or anywhere

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

really queer Christmas posted:

please for the love of god do NOT bring up g*amerg*ate in here or anywhere

Agreed. If I were ik, I'd chain probe for that poo poo. I'd also constantly put in ban requests that would be ignored, but you know, w/e.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it was really funny seeing the bully hunters thing flame out in real time though.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if only there was a politically correct term, for something you find more complex than a simple 'it's bad'

"complex-y", perhaps. or "issueful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
guys i have the perfect term

get this: trumpiness