Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh dang, thanks for reminding me about Emily Carrol, both of you!

I really like her more recent (2017 at least) stuff, a bunch of them seem slightly related and it's kind of spooky and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I really like her more recent (2017 at least) stuff, a bunch of them seem slightly related and it's kind of spooky and fun.

The only thing I can see on her website from 2017 is Fallout 4 comics. Is she posting stuff elsewhere now?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It was brought up a few weeks ago, but it's come to its sad conclusion. Kate Beaton's sister, Becky, died this morning. Kate's Twitter announced it earlier and she's posted a bunch of childhood and recent pics of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh. :smith:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unironic rip

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ah hell :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's so sad, cancer is just the worst. :smith:

In happier news, it's good to see that Lottie's mystery instincts are as sharp as ever.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

howe_sam posted:

In happier news, it's good to see that Lottie's mystery instincts are as sharp as ever.

I hope we get to meet Nega-Erin sooner rather than later

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

JethroMcB posted:

I hope we get to meet Nega-Erin sooner rather than later

Is there anybody we know who it could be?

It might be funny if it was Daisy. What was Daisy majoring in, again? I can't really think of anybody else who's younger than Erin and suitable for mentoring.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rand Brittain posted:

It might be funny if it was Daisy. What was Daisy majoring in, again? I can't really think of anybody else who's younger than Erin and suitable for mentoring.

Archeology, but they're the same age (if it was going to be anyone from the Giant Days crew, I'd say Ed Gemmel, since he did a bit of journalism at the university paper). I'd wager it's another of the Wendlefield Mystery Kids or a new character who's going to join the Action Group.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Archeology, but they're the same age (if it was going to be anyone from the Giant Days crew, I'd say Ed Gemmel, since he did a bit of journalism at the university paper). I'd wager it's another of the Wendlefield Mystery Kids or a new character who's going to join the Action Group.

Erin Winters would eat Ed Gemmel alive.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rand Brittain posted:

Erin Winters would eat Ed Gemmel alive.

True. I dunno if they actually met when she appeared in Giant Days (this is before the ongoing).

Oh, hey - Allison's new miniseries By Night comes out June 13th. That'll be something to look forward to.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

D e s m o n d.....F i s h m a n

(everyone knows the natural next step for a failed politician is creating your own media organization)

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 15, 2018

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I think Erin smells blood in the water

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Charlotte's 'RECOIL' face is excellent. It's an appropriate response to Twitter user sexman1491872.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is a :getin: if I ever saw one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PMush Perfect posted:

That is a :getin: if I ever saw one.

It's more of a :stonk: if you ask me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's more of a :stonk: if you ask me.

Erin's look in the last panel, I think.

JethroMcB posted:

When are the big gal and the robot lady gonna gently caress

6 months later...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jeph figured out how to not hate his characters it's a goddamn shitmas miracle

fakeedit: Calling it now, next week is just going to be Steve eating cereal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Jeph figured out how to not hate his characters it's a goddamn shitmas miracle

fakeedit: Calling it now, next week is just going to be Steve eating cereal.

His problem was always that he liked his characters too much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No one in QC is allowed to be sad for longer than a week. Honestly, this has been the slowest burn he's done on a relationship in a long time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love the animated Tetris strip where Faye realises her feelings. That's a weirdly apt description of how that feels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No that's her feeling a roboner

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The thing is, Bubbles isn't a robot. There's just the author claiming that she's a robot, but she's not written or drawn as a robot.

There have been stories about robots that are nearly indistinguishable from humans (some of Asimov's stories, DADOES/Blade Runner, Real Humans, etc.) but they still explore what it means to have human-like robots around; the robots' artificial nature still informs their personality and struggles. There's none of that in QC. The only roboty thing that ever happened with Bubbles was that weird memory arc that was just resolved by the smuggest ex machina ever drawn.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think she's okay. She has trauma from being built as a war machine and then being decommissioned, so her purpose is literally illegal and the only place she can fulfil her programmed nature is in an illegal venue, which is the low point Faye meets her at. She's big and scary and doesn't eat or drink or wear clothes, so she feels alienated from society. It's not exactly the most groundbreaking "robot as alienated minority" narrative in the world, but it's there.

That arc's resolution was uniquely awful though. But I like Bubbles, and I think her and Faye's friendship has been the strongest part of QC for a while.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The AIs are the most interesting element of QC's setting (pretty much by default) so I'm pleased when it focuses on them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
QC is comfort food at this point. It will not really challenge you. It will not really shock you. You will not get a belly laugh out of it. But dammit if it isn’t easier to just keep reading the drat thing:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

QC is comfort food at this point. It will not really challenge you. It will not really shock you. You will not get a belly laugh out of it. But dammit if it isn’t easier to just keep reading the drat thing:
:agreed:

That's why I keep reading. It's a mostly inoffensive daily-updating thing. Probably similar to why soap operas and telenovellas were so popular with our parents.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It was inevitable as QC's universe does not allow two single people to exist outside of a relationship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

:agreed:

That's why I keep reading. It's a mostly inoffensive daily-updating thing. Probably similar to why soap operas and telenovellas were so popular with our parents.

For many years, I could never understand my mother's love for dumb, boring poo poo like California Clan, Denver and Lindenstraße. Today, I read sappy relationship webcomics and I weep, for I now know the truth

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I dunno, this feels like such a complete jumping-the-shark moment to me. There's been so many teasers about Faye x Bubbles up to this point and it's always shot down emphatically. It became almost a joke at a point because it felt like JJ knew doing it would be complete pandering nonsense, and now it's....actually happening. Despite the fact that Faye has never shown any attraction to women of any kind, has a really serious history with personal relationships, can she not just have a close friend WITHOUT the baggage of "when are they gonna gently caress"? So few female characters in QC can be close friends without the hinting and teasing of getting together and now the best buddy duo in the comic is just thrown into the bubbling cauldron of "now THESE two are together for a year or two!" that QC has been riding ever since Dora and Marten got together. It's not that it's unreasonable that two people like this would develop romantic feelings or anything, but in this setting it just feels like yet another fan service grab.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao if your jump the shark moment for QC is in 2018

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So few female characters in QC can be close friends without the hinting and teasing of getting together

Faye and Dora
Emily and everyone
Tai and everyone but Dora
Hannelore and everyone
Claire and everyone
Marigold and Hannelore particularly

so your examples are...
Dora and Tai
Faye and Bubbles

two relationships?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The comic is basically about cute budding romances and close friendships and overcoming minor emotional problems related to them. It's nice people being nice to each other while gradually developing the self-actualization needed to confidently smooch someone. With occasional genre shifts into light robot-lib speculative fiction.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Dora relentlessly flirted with Faye for a really long time, Claire got with Marten almost immediately, Tai got with Dora pretty quickly. My point was that, except for Hannelore (and Emily but she's a minor side character), there's basically never been a female QC character that came in single and wasn't paired up almost instantly, and even though Dora x Faye was fun to watch, they've interacted very little recently. Faye and Bubbles had that fun partnership a lot but that's now gone from "playful hinting but shut down" to "no they're together now too". It's not necessarily a bad thing; it's just the exact same writing and world building QC has had for a decade but with different character archetypes, like a webcomic Friends.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

Faye and Dora
Emily and everyone
Tai and everyone but Dora
Hannelore and everyone
Claire and everyone
Marigold and Hannelore particularly

so your examples are...
Dora and Tai
Faye and Bubbles

two relationships?

I'm pretty sure Safari Disco Lion meant bang someone, not everyone. Which leaves like, Hannelore, and maybe Emily from that list.

But really it doesn't matter, since uh, 2003 apparently, Jeph's formula is to write characters until he bores of them, abandon them, then introduce a new one or set, repeat.

Go ahead and look at the cast page, and that isn't even counting who knows how many dozen characters that didn't make that cut.

What I am saying is, there will be another week or two or however many strips about Bubbles and Faye then it will get put on the back burner just like Claire and Marten, Dora and Tai, Martens mom and that little girls dad, Dale and Marigold, etc. etc. etc.

Then "Here Comes a New Challenger" and new characters get introduced or ones that looked before like they might get together will, because "and then they hooked up" is Jeph's endgame.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I Shall Brook No Pairing Save The One Truth Of Garfield/Lasagna

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Marmaduke + The Comfy Chair for life.

Twenty Four posted:

because "and then they hooked up" is Jeph's endgame.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
is patreon still a thing