Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Terrorforge posted:

The standard Tech Lab is still available under the vanilla Crafting category with no requirements

Azhais posted:

I shall take a look! Thanks

I'd just like to say that after taking your sage advice of "Just build the crafting tables dumbass" I'm no capable of performing heroic feats such as "pulling the trigger actually results in bullets coming out". I was about ready to start putting broken guns into the junk jet for defense :v:

The author's love of "endless gathering for no good reason makes survival fun" design philosophy I could do without, but things are improving. But this whole "you need the meat of five brahmin to make a single hamburger!" crap is as unrealistic as it is unfun (and yes I realize that increasing survival gets more stuff, but seriously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Food would be pretty drat trivial if you got a realistic amount of meat from animals, and making things not trivial is a pretty big part of Horizon's mission statement. Early game is a bit brutal though, especially now that a single level of Hunter doesn't get you all the meat in the universe anymore.

And imo the thing with junk in Horizon is that you do in fact have good reason to be collecting it. But honestly, if you don't like collecting mountains of random crap, I don't think Fallout 4 is the game for you :v:

(or you could use Auto Loot. it's apparently a bit temperamental with Horizon, but I think turning off body loot and sending all junk directly to a settlement is supposed to fix the worst of it)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Terrorforge posted:

Food would be pretty drat trivial if you got a realistic amount of meat from animals, and making things not trivial is a pretty big part of Horizon's mission statement. Early game is a bit brutal though, especially now that a single level of Hunter doesn't get you all the meat in the universe anymore.

And imo the thing with junk in Horizon is that you do in fact have good reason to be collecting it. But honestly, if you don't like collecting mountains of random crap, I don't think Fallout 4 is the game for you :v:

(or you could use Auto Loot. it's apparently a bit temperamental with Horizon, but I think turning off body loot and sending all junk directly to a settlement is supposed to fix the worst of it)

Junk I'm fine with, making things unrealistic just to make gathering food harder is dumb, find some other mechanism other than "you can't harvest any meat from this entire cow" and "tho she may be starving, my delicate flower of a survivor just could not possibly eat that mole rat without pasta with a nice red sauce and a side of candied carrots"

Auto loot kept causing my game to hard freeze. I had body loot on, I could try the direct to settlement thing I suppose.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Junk I'm fine with, making things unrealistic just to make gathering food harder is dumb, find some other mechanism other than "you can't harvest any meat from this entire cow" and "tho she may be starving, my delicate flower of a survivor just could not possibly eat that mole rat without pasta with a nice red sauce and a side of candied carrots"

Auto loot kept causing my game to hard freeze. I had body loot on, I could try the direct to settlement thing I suppose.

Nah, slavishly chasing "realism" while ignoring gameplay considerations is dumb. I mean if you have a practical suggestion for a better, more realistic mechanism for restricting access to food I'm all ears, but we work with what we have and "turn down drop rate, turn up recipe requirements" is a pretty elegant solution.

And if it helps, consider the fact this is a freaky mutant post-apocalypse cow that's probably like 70% scar tissue, multi-resistent acteria and other poo poo that's literally poison to a pampered time traveler from 200 years ago. Fugu with hooves, basically.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's already obvious food is going to stop being an issue. It's not like I don't have a hundred pounds of meat in the workshop already that I just can't eat because I don't have any razorgrain and not enough carrots. I'm going to put down a couple of farming communities tonight to solve the vegetable problem, then another rank of hunter and I'll go back and kill all the radstags and brahmin and dog packs I've been leaving alone cause its just not worth it currently and swing past university point and that'll be that.

I had the same problem with frost in that there are a lot of mechanisms to make starting out hard that eventually just become a background annoyance, but it at least gave you a decent pile of meat if you killed something, it just removed a lot of the animals.

I don't really care, I just find it silly. I'd prefer a system where you can make realistic amounts of food and it slowly goes from lovely food that gives you penalties (call it being demoralized eating nothing but jerky) to good food that gives you bonuses and most of the time you're just eating stuff to get by and have to really dedicate resources to be living the good life later. Cleaner, more realistic, gives a reason to care, and it sure beats "Enjoy sucking down 130 rads worth of cram because you just can't eat your mole rat steak without an appropriate side dish"

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Oh, there's a system to lessen that niggle; you can make any meat into Ground Meat at the cooking station, which you can then cook with. Either just make burgers which kinda suck or more efficient soups with water and one vegetable.

And yeah, it's a known issue that the game can become kind of a cakewalk later on, but that's kind of hard to fully avoid in an RPG. Morever, it's what a lot of people want. Desolation does do a fair job of dragging it out, though; it's taken me like 30 hours to reach a point where I'm _kind of_ self-sufficient.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I've ground some meat, but honestly that just annoys me even more when I do it :v:

That burger takes 12? 14? ground meat, a single unit of brahmin gives you 4 ground meat, at level 1 hunter it seems about 50/50 if you get that one unit of meat, so it's like 6 cows to make a burger. Or a fuckton of mole rats (like I was unable to make one after clearing out red rocket, the mole rat den, starlight, olivia, and the auto salvage yard).

I just need to get some vegetables planted. And figure out how one actually gets any harvest from said vegetables. And figure out why my settlement stuff keeps disappearing in general (every crop has vanished from sanctuary more than once, and my generators in hangman's alley are always broken about 30 seconds after I leave, as are the crops, and often the water purifiers)

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I've ground some meat, but honestly that just annoys me even more when I do it :v:

That burger takes 12? 14? ground meat, a single unit of brahmin gives you 4 ground meat, at level 1 hunter it seems about 50/50 if you get that one unit of meat, so it's like 6 cows to make a burger. Or a fuckton of mole rats (like I was unable to make one after clearing out red rocket, the mole rat den, starlight, olivia, and the auto salvage yard).

I just need to get some vegetables planted. And figure out how one actually gets any harvest from said vegetables. And figure out why my settlement stuff keeps disappearing in general (every crop has vanished from sanctuary more than once, and my generators in hangman's alley are always broken about 30 seconds after I leave, as are the crops, and often the water purifiers)

Are you running Sim Settlements? Unexplained breakage is usually a result of maintenance costs inadvertently being turned on.

As for harvesting, what you'll want to do is plant at least four of the large crops from the Architect menu, which will hit a threshold that allows them to show up in your production destination (the special Production Storage container by default).

e: that's four of the same ones

Crops disappearing sounds like settlers eating 'em. If any one settlement in your network has less food planted than settlers, they'll eat your poo poo right across the Commonwealth, it's dumb.

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 17, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Azhais posted:

I have an easy and elegant solution for how much ground meat a burger takes. Open up FO4Edit, copy the crafting recipe record into a new ESP, and change it from "12" to "1". Make sure that poo poo loads after Horizon and you're done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Terrorforge posted:

Are you running Sim Settlements? Unexplained breakage is usually a result of maintenance costs inadvertently being turned on.

As for harvesting, what you'll want to do is plant at least four of the large crops from the Architect menu, which will hit a threshold that allows them to show up in your production destination (the special Production Storage container by default).

Crops disappearing sounds like settlers eating 'em. If any one settlement in your network has less food planted than settlers, they'll eat your poo poo right across the Commonwealth, it's dumb.

I mean the plants themselves, not the actual grown crops. I haven't done much of anything with my settlements yet. I control: Abernathy, Sanctuary, Red Rocket, Starlight, Hangman's. I haven't touched Abernathy, Sanctuary is like 6 beds 4 tato and 2 melon patches and a water purifier in some random Architect warehouse, and Hangman's has 6 people and 3 tatos 1 mutfruit (12 food in the ui) so I don't think it's just someone eating it all.

Modwise I keep the list with overhauls pretty light, no Sim Settlements. I've got:

Horizon
AE
AWKCR
Crossbows (and Horizon patch)
CBBE (and a horizon patch)
CROSS Crit Gore-verhaul
EBT
DEF_UI (with the horizon defs)
Vivid Fallout
Vivid Weathers
Unofficial fo4 patch
Eli's Armour Compendium (and horizon patch)
Two hairstyle mods and looksmenu largely for
better settlers (and horizon patch)
MCM
FDI
Place everywhere
IMVR
Scrap everything (and horizon patch)
darker nights (why I went with level 0 I'll never know, can't see poo poo)
achievements enabler
lootcritics (not sure why, I don't use companions anyway)
keep radiants in the commonwealth
quicktrade

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

I know some people have reported crops in Sanctuary disappearing when you do a Scrapall console command at Red Rocket. Other than that I have no clue. I mean I guess Hangman's is in kind of a hotspot that might be drawing in enemies, but I've never had the problem of just leaving and coming back to broken stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Terrorforge posted:

I know some people have reported crops in Sanctuary disappearing when you do a Scrapall console command at Red Rocket. Other than that I have no clue. I mean I guess Hangman's is in kind of a hotspot that might be drawing in enemies, but I've never had the problem of just leaving and coming back to broken stuff.

It's possible that I did the scrapall at red rocket after I did my planting in sanctuary. I'll keep an eye on it, for as often as I bother going back up north. I need to turn in the corvega quest anyway, so we'll see if things have survived the last few hours without me.

Hangman's has only been really destroyed once, and I know that shortly afterwards I got one of those "help defend against a pending attack" type quests where you get a minute to build defenses first, so maybe the radiant just damaged a few random things?

But the windmills are always, always, broken when I get back. I've put in a real generator last time I was there, so we'll see if the wind tower is broken again, or both. maybe someone is taking potshots at it from across the city or something? :iiam:

Worst case I'll slap a third story on my apartment building and put some generators inside up there (I used scrap everything to take out one of the doorframes behind where the weapon workshop is sitting and built an entire structure inside the hollowed out building, it fits amazingly well)

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Azhais posted:

I had a similar problem with autolooters in Ultima Online of all places, I think it's caused by moving out of range of any items it's trying to loot so it gets caught in a loop and locks up the game

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

wouldn't the least lovely and lame way of restricting how many brahmin burgers you could make be best accomplished by reducing the number of brahmin?

if a level one player wants to grab their trusty 10mm and scour the immediate wasteland of animal life to make crab cakes and hot dogs, just loving let the guy do it.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

jfood posted:

wouldn't the least lovely and lame way of restricting how many brahmin burgers you could make be best accomplished by reducing the number of brahmin?

There actually aren't many, so I presume it's just an example. But the wasteland is crawling with other edible critters, which are generally hostile. Reducing their numbers would (I assume, I'm not a modder) be a fiddly and time-consuming task that (I know because it's obvious) ultimately makes the game easier.

jfood posted:

if a level one player wants to grab their trusty 10mm and scour the immediate wasteland of animal life to make crab cakes and hot dogs, just loving let the guy do it.

You do not seem to understand the appeal of a hardcore survival mod. The fact that it doesn't just let you do whatever you want is what makes Horizon worthwhile, because it adds planning/execution challenges that are otherwise absent from the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got some MO2 issues. I'm trying to add LOOT and FO4Edit to the launch executables, but when I do they don't show the mod esps, just the plugins for the base game and the DLCs. Where did I go wrong on this.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I installed a whole mis-mash of mods when I was last playing this and before I got distracted by other things. I have no idea what even works any more as it was a while ago

I was thinking of wiping everything and starting clean from with Horizon. Besides H itself, what else should I install along with it?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I installed a whole mis-mash of mods when I was last playing this and before I got distracted by other things. I have no idea what even works any more as it was a while ago

I was thinking of wiping everything and starting clean from with Horizon. Besides H itself, what else should I install along with it?

Unofficial FO4 Patch
Full dialogue interface
Shaikujin's Better Warning for settlement attacks
Keep radiant quests in the commonwealth
Wasteland Survival Guide
Lowered Weapons
Pipboy Flashlight
Armorsmith Extended
ELFX
Sim Settlements + expansions and packs that catch your eye

Edit your fallout4custom.ini to remove character lighting, extend power lines, make companions get out of your way faster, and speed up terminal display.
code:
[General]
sStartingConsoleCommand= setgs fworkshopwiremaxlength 2200
setgs iTerminalDisplayRate 1200
setgs fBumpReactionSmallWaitTimer 0.5
sStartingConsoleCommand=cl off

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Most of those need horizon patches. Elfx can mess up interior changes

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Terrorforge posted:

*waaaaaaaaaaank*

always gotta be some muthafuck mistaking tedium for challenge.

cool dudes make a bowl of chili from just one mole-rat, then go have fun with the systems and loops that don't suck.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
then dont play horizon mr cool guy lol

hell, if you want systems and loops that don't suck, don't play fo4 lol

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 19, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The ideal survival mod would be Frost's survival stuff (food/water/rads) and horizon's everything else

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's not a lot of point having a food system if you can trivialize it the first time you step outside of sanctuary and kill the mole rats at red rocket.

Turning animals into a resource is good, it's good to see a pack of radstags and then try to figure out how to kill as many of them as you can before they run away because you need the food. It's also good to make settling more important by having it produce food and water and medical support which you also need.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

No kidding, I easily justified using a grenade to take out a pack of radstags because they were going to spook if I just opened up on them.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

jfood posted:

cool dudes make a bowl of chili from just one mole-rat, then go have fun with the systems and loops that don't suck.

Hey, someone's gotta counterweight all those wankers mistaking any mechanic that requires a modicum of effort for pointless busywork.

Azhais posted:

The ideal survival mod would be Frost's survival stuff (food/water/rads) and horizon's everything else

Funny, I've often thought the other way around. That the ideal survival mod is FROST's conceit and philosophy with Horizon's (imo) less bullshit survival/crafting/combat mechanics. If nothing else, having to eat so often drives me up the walls.

I'm actually considering building something like that using the Zombie Walkers feature that turns every NPC into a feral ghoul, but without the tunnels and the storytelling it just wouldn't be the same.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As an aside, my hangman power issues appear to be entirely related to the big windmills. Normal generators have stayed unbroken.

Food wise I still can't quite figure out how to get crops out of my farms, but swapping everyone over to diner operators solved the problem nicely :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NMC released a small texture bundle for Fallout 4.

They're still not saying if they'll do a bigger texture pack, but it's nice to see NMC working again.

There really is a lack of consolidation in Fallout 4 modding compared to Vegas or 3. There's stuff like Weaponsmith, but that mod is a gargantuan mess to try and install.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jfood posted:

There are some guys who do overhaul mods and go "I want realism above all." There are also ones that go "HURT MEEEE". Horizon is the latter. Not sure if there's an overhaul for the kind of thing you want, but Horizon is basically all this thread talks about anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been looking around had had little luck. Is there a mod that resizes the weapons so they aren't comically huge?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
If you take the Hunter perk you'll be swimming in meat. If you don't then you'll need to rely on settlers or traders.

That's why the mechanic is there. Do you want to use a perk point for hunter and put yourself behind on other things or would you rather use the point to get better at crafting/fighting, but struggle with food.

I haven't taken hunter or survivalist on my latest character and am finding the food supply in the world just about manageable as long as I utilise all available options.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have hunter, took that with the free perk point from the bunker, and piles of meat, it's just mostly worthless without crops. Diners sell cooked meals for peanuts, so that's an easy solution. I've got 10k caps already since it's not like horizon makes getting money any harder, and they removed everything worth spending money on from the vendors anyway

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Also, it is okay to go on an expedition without 100% hp and 100% food and water. This sounds weird if you're used to most games and FO4 itself. You're allowed/supposed-to-be not operating perfectly and can't do every single task perfectly the moment you leave the vault.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In horizon or in general? Horizon you'll rarely be 100% so there's no point waiting.

In normal survival mode it's pretty easy to walk through a decontamination arch, grab a bottle of water to top off the ol health bar, and then head out at full strength.

Certainly don't need to wait

E: misread, thought you said "is it" not "it is". Yeah, I don't wait around. Hell, in Frost I got an infection the first time I slept and made it to 20 before fixing it

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 19, 2018

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

I have hunter, took that with the free perk point from the bunker, and piles of meat, it's just mostly worthless without crops. Diners sell cooked meals for peanuts, so that's an easy solution. I've got 10k caps already since it's not like horizon makes getting money any harder, and they removed everything worth spending money on from the vendors anyway

I keep just staring at what you post in complete disbelief until I remember I'm playing on Desolation.

Still, I don't think I ever had more than like 2k caps at a time, even when I wasn't. I'm not much for hyperoptimizing things but good lord. I always thought the restrictions on income were pretty severe. And didn't you have like three settlements with a half-dozen people each? Where are you getting all that cash?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I sell everything I don't plan on using, like the absurd number of adrenaline injectors it flings at you, and booze, and most drugs in general, and whatever else isn't nailed down.

With cargo bots and backpacks and high strength and lone wanderer you can carry a ton, and I make sure to empty every merchant i find of caps, even if it's just dumping random stacks of raider armor

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Oh right, that'll be it. I play on strict carryweight and don't care for looting every shred of cloth off every corpse in the commonwealth anyway, so I have neither the ability nor the inclination to flog piles of dirty laundry to the incredulous traders of the wasteland.

I also tend to hold on to booze and chems because they can be converted into medical supplies, but that ofc becomes less of an issue if you're richer than the devil anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I keep a fair pile of stuff around for pharmaceutical crafting, but adhesives are far and away my bottleneck

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For whatever reason my current setup of Fallout 4 features some insanely long loading times when going into the Commonwealth. This was never really an issue before, even when I was playing on older components.
(Right now I have a i7 8700, GTX 1070, 8GB DDR4 RAM, SSD)

Here's the mods I have installed, if it helps:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

buglord posted:

For whatever reason my current setup of Fallout 4 features some insanely long loading times when going into the Commonwealth. This was never really an issue before, even when I was playing on older components.
(Right now I have a i7 8700, GTX 1070, 8GB DDR4 RAM, SSD)

Here's the mods I have installed, if it helps:

I think both Horizon and Sim Settlements can put some strain on your system, but I never had intolerable problems with them, at least not when playing off an SSD. I guess maybe We Are The Minutemen might be doing something? I'm not really familiar with it.

The one thing I notice is that as a rule, you should not load any mods after Horizon. I don't see how it would cause this specific problem, but generally you want:
(mod)
(Horizon)
(mod_Horizon_patch)

Speaking of, you may want to consider using the aptch for WATM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ever since installing the donuts thing and cannabis commonwealth every single lunchbox has a fat blunt and a bag of donut mix