Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Macaluso posted:

Wolverine was never the coolest :colbert:

Thanos is cool. He has a good villain presence which is the most important thing to me in a villain. He's fun. I like when he's towering over everyone saying philosophical villain poo poo or whatever. That's also probably why I liked Ebony Maw so much

edit: Also for being essentially just a large purple man I think he actually has a really good character design

Thanos isn't cool. Thanos is like a high school kid who can't get laid so he beats up sixth graders to channel the repressed energy. And sometimes the sixth graders win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Alvarez IV posted:

Thanos isn't cool. Thanos is like a high school kid who can't get laid so he beats up sixth graders to channel the repressed energy. And sometimes the sixth graders win.

This is Doctor Doom, except replace "can't get laid" with "loses on the debate team to the same guy".

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gavok posted:

When I was really young, I remember some channel had a weird way of scheduling Batman two-parters so that they were on in the same day, but not in the same hour. I never watched the second episodes. For a while, I thought Batman was a dark comedy of a show where the heroes got murdered at the end of every adventure.

It’s supposed to be same bat time, same bat channel! Bastards

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alvarez IV posted:

The MCU Thanos is better than comics Thanos.

But that's not really a surprise. The MCU has a habit of stripping all the extraneous poo poo from the characters and presenting the best version of them, or making small tweaks to make them work better, or casting perfect actors who embody everything the character should be. It's not the case for all of them, but I think it is for the majority.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Codependent Poster posted:

But that's not really a surprise. The MCU has a habit of stripping all the extraneous poo poo from the characters and presenting the best version of them, or making small tweaks to make them work better, or casting perfect actors who embody everything the character should be. It's not the case for all of them, but I think it is for the majority.

I agree. There are exceptions, but for the most part, I'm quite pleased with all of the adaptations for characters that I had a preconception of. That's why it's so frustrating whenever I see someone whining about Death not being in the movie. Nobody can convince me that what we got was worse than Thanos trying to get it on with Death who is a lady for some reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

I agree. There are exceptions, but for the most part, I'm quite pleased with all of the adaptations for characters that I had a preconception of. That's why it's so frustrating whenever I see someone whining about Death not being in the movie. Nobody can convince me that what we got was worse than Thanos trying to get it on with Death who is a lady for some reason.

I could have believed it if the rumors that Death was being merged with Hel had been true - goth Cate Blanchett as a supervillain was great and I think it could have worked.

Still, probably better this way.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah, more Cate Blanchett is never a bad thing. I hope her character comes back some how

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont think Death wouldve ever worked in iw because theres been no setup at all for cosmic entities like that and she wouldve been completely nonsensical to the average viewer

and then theres the question of why she switches between sexy woman and skeleton being

and then you have the creepy incel thanos relationship

just, no

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah lemme be clear, I’m taking about the MCU Thanos. He’s an entertaining villain to me. I haven’t read comics in years and years. You guys just tend to enjoy these movies way more then CineD does. Also SuperMechaGodzilla isn’t here

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, more Cate Blanchett is never a bad thing. I hope her character comes back some how

We didn't see a body. I'm gonna believe she's fine.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The utter weirdness of the Death relationship is why it is so good. It's so out there

Thanos is like a wannabe god trying to hook up with an actual god and you never know if the actual god is real or just Thanos being The Mad Titan. It's like some greek myth story mixed with comic book weirdness

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Hela is dead and now ruling over the land of the dead. I want to see Thor travel through the different Norse underworlds to get his dead friends/people back.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And he passes by Loki and pretends he isn't there

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Somehow Loki is now a teenager.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Somehow Loki is now a teenager.
He's getting a milkshake with some Wednesday Addams-looking chick in a green dress.

In the meta-narrative way I think it is good to make it so you cannot be absolutely sure that the story in a set of other stories, will end up OK. Just to introduce that uncertainty.

That and the performative nihilism.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Deadpool 2 is very funny. Not as good as the first movie, but Domino and Cable are very worthy additions to the franchise and I want more of them.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Hela would 100% have worked as the embodiment of death Thanos was in love with, still holding out hope for part two!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why would hela want to kill half the universe though? I mean she was kind of a bad guy but mostly wanted to conquer not exterminate

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Why would hela want to kill half the universe though? I mean she was kind of a bad guy but mostly wanted to conquer not exterminate

If there's half as many people to conquer, then it'll take half the time to do it. Much more efficient.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
But also half as many people to brutally murder and where's the fun in that

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Zzulu posted:

Part of Thanos' deal in the comics was that his attempts to impress Death were hamfisted and didn't work

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not hard to imagine Hel's personality and goals changing with the destruction of Asgard, either - perhaps turning her into something more than what she was before.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
ughghghhg Why would we want to change practically everything about two of the most well-received villains in the MCU, Thanos and Hela, just for the sake of things being more like an xbillion year old comic that the movie is already nothing like

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Part of Thanos' deal in the comics was that his attempts to impress Death were hamfisted and didn't work

One of the best moments from a What If? comic was in one where Thanos is opposed by the New Fantastic Four (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man and the Hulk) and he's beaten when Wolverine lulls him into a false sense of security by giving him relationship advice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lightning Lord posted:

Not only that but it isn't hard to see when reading those stories that Death pretty clearly doesn't actually like Thanos and he's just an easily manipulated printer-carrier for her

Changing helas entire personality so she would be into Thanos is just missing the point imo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BrianWilly posted:

ughghghhg Why would we want to change practically everything about two of the most well-received villains in the MCU, Thanos and Hela, just for the sake of things being more like an xbillion year old comic that the movie is already nothing like

Pretty much. This version of Thanos was already amazing and I'm glad the MCU is getting rid of most of its villains when their parts have been played. The only reappearance of Hela that would make sense is if Thor indeed goes to the hosed up norse death kingdom and she's the new ruler.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
iw was already so close to the comics that i was actually kinda disappointed by that part of it, i'd like some more breaks beyond cutting the more cheesy parts of characters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What did y’all think of Brolin as Cable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked Brolin's Cable, though once it got pointed out how short he was it lessened it a bit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who do you think is gonna play Satellite

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

zoux posted:

What did y’all think of Brolin as Cable

I thought he did a very admirable job of being a comedic straight man to Deadpool, despite actually having very few interactions with him, and I though he wore the hell out of that fanny pack.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who's Yukio in the comics?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

He was great, even if he never says "Gotta get rough."

I felt like he didn't have enough scenes or that his big scenes were cut for time, but he definitely did a great job making you focus on him whenever he was on screen.

The sequence with him saving Deadpool's life is a master class in how an actor can do the same scene twice, in almost the same way but completely change the meaning of everything.

Like the first time he's ever so slightly opening up to Deadpool, explaining what he's fighting for.
The second time, he understands Wade better and knows that the past can be changed and that people deserve a chance to change. It's really an amazing bit of acting.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 19, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Uh, she's Yukio.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally got around to watching Guardians Vol.2. It took me so long because I wasn't really too enamoured with the first on the initial watch, everyone except Nebula seemed intensely loud and irritating. But I caught it again a couple of weeks ago and warmed to it a lot so what with all the Infinity War talk figured I'd catch up and yeah, it was kinda great, liked it far a lot. Maybe a bit too long and I'm way bored of dudes flying around punching each other and smashing through things but when they do it as a giant Pac-Man I guess I'll allow it. And that scene with Yondu cleaning house (to La Bamba?) was gorgeous, daaaaamn.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I hate the Deadpool comics and loved the Deadpool movies.

"You're Welcome Canada..." loving killed me.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

zoux posted:

Nobody. Early reports had her as Surge, but other than being asian and having lightning powers and artificially dyed hair, there's no similarities. She's just Yukio.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There is a comic book Yukio if that's the question. I ain't seen DP2 yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_(comics)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is it the same yukio from the second wolverine movie

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

He was great, even if he never says "Gotta get rough."

He also didn't declare himself as the Wild Man of Borneo, which is bullshit.

• Locked thread