Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Acer X27 can now be pre-ordered for just two thousand of your American dollars. Who's going to do it? :homebrew:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The amazon basics monitor arms are the rebranded Ergotrons, right?

Yes, they are Ergotron LX rebrands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ShinobiTycho posted:

I've had this lovely 23" LG monitor for years and the fact that it wobbles slightly whenever I type anything has finally driven me insane (or fed up enough to buy another monitor anyways). If anyone can give me a recommendation on a monitor with a good, solid feeling, adjustable stand my sanity will appreciate you forever. I don't want to go down in size so anything better than 23" (1920x1080) would do, I wouldn't mind going up to 27" but it isn't a requirement. I'll be using it for gaming, but mostly older or indi games, nothing particularly competitive. I also need it to have at least 2 HDMI ports. My desktop computer I'd be hooking it into has a GTX 460, but I might also hook it up to my surface pro or a laptop I have for work. Price range is probably anything less than $300, although I'm really just looking for the best value for my money.

Recently, I've posted a few <$100 used/refurb'd 24" FHD IPS monitors that would be just fine for your purpose. Those seem to sell out quickly, although I found a couple others that would suffice. Neither of those seem to have VESA mounts, which would allow you to add your own stand or even mount the display to a wall entirely to get it up off your desk surface which would completely isolate it from vibrations. This monitor would otherwise be a decently-priced alternative, and not only does it have VESA mounting points, the included stand is pretty decent, with spring-loaded height adjustment; it appears similar if not identical to the new ones I got at work, and if that is indeed the case the video quality is fine for office use although the speakers are poor.

If you were willing to wait, there are more upcoming on Newegg Flash and new ones show up at woot.com all the time.

ShinobiTycho posted:

Do these work on pretty much every monitor?

No, the display needs VESA-compatible mounting points in the back (i.e. a grid of 4 threaded points to anchor onto a mounting plate.)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Christ, I'm tempted. I've spent the evening pricing out a 4K gaming PC with the expectation of picking up the Acer X27 or the ROG Swift PG27UQ, but the idea of pre-ordering a $2,000 monitor sight unseen is frankly terrifying, especially since I'd prefer to wait until the GTX 1180 is out anyway so I can actually power the drat thing. How bad do we think the supply issues are going to be on these things, given how long people have been waiting for them? Also, do we know if there are going to be any meaningful differences between the Acer and Asus offerings yet?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus, it even has 10-bits and 99% Adobe RGB.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Hahah holy gently caress, 2k? I value things by multiples of mortgage payments and that thing is a big nope.

Also what are the goofy looking wings on it for?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm guessing the wings are a gamer-ified version of the hoods that pro monitors use to block outside light sources.

e.g. https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/products/details/t/Desktop-Displays/Colour-Accurate-Desktop-Displays/rp/Reference302.xhtml

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Makes my 4k 49" Samsung quantum dot 60fps monitor seem less cool now.. but just a little since mine cost half that insane thing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That thing is gonna cost the price of a car when it reaches Brazil.

Our cars.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Yeah gonna go ahead and wait for release and reviews before I even think about a $2000... well, anything.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

I'm guessing the wings are a gamer-ified version of the hoods that pro monitors use to block outside light sources.

e.g. https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/products/details/t/Desktop-Displays/Colour-Accurate-Desktop-Displays/rp/Reference302.xhtml

See, and you whiners say there are no decent 16:10 monitors out there, get a job and maybe you'll be able to afford your weirdo aspect ratio :unsmigghh:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ShinobiTycho posted:

Thanks! That seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

Do these work on pretty much every monitor?

The Amazon Basics arms use VESA mounts, so if your monitor has that and is less than 20 pounds they'll work. Vesa is pretty standard.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I thought those monitors were going to be $3000. Doesn't end up mattering though, I'm willing to go well into diminishing returns but not into negative returns; even at only $2000 4:2:2 chroma subsampling is a dealbreaker. Not going to buy a monitor when I could, conceivably, "upgrade" to the same panel with DP 1.5 a year later.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Why is it impossible to find a monitor that is:

-1440p
-120hz or higher
-HDR
-G-Sync

Why

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Desuwa posted:

I thought those monitors were going to be $3000. Doesn't end up mattering though, I'm willing to go well into diminishing returns but not into negative returns; even at only $2000 4:2:2 chroma subsampling is a dealbreaker. Not going to buy a monitor when I could, conceivably, "upgrade" to the same panel with DP 1.5 a year later.

So what’s the practical difference between the 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 or whatever

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My parents bought an LG OLED TV and after that, every other display looks like poo poo. Oh well.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Deuce posted:

So what’s the practical difference between the 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 or whatever

You get half the horizontal resolution for colour. For videos and games it's probably completely unnoticeable (video is often 4:2:0), and I'd be completely fine with a 4:2:2 TV, but I sit a hell of a lot closer to my monitor and I read text on it. I'd have to sit down for a good long time with one to see if it causes eye fatigue while reading and I don't think I can arrange that before buying one. Dropping down to 96hz to get 4:4:4 on the desktop is similarly not a compromise I'd feel happy making after spending $2000.

DP 1.4 has enough bandwidth with DSC for non-HDR 4K 144, and among the recent announcements was a non-HDR version that should be significantly cheaper.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

SwissCM posted:

My parents bought an LG OLED TV and after that, every other display looks like poo poo. Oh well.

First you get a phone with an oled screen, then you start liking how awesome it looks and get the oled tv.

It's a bad path to go down on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BaronVanAwesome posted:

-1440p
-120hz or higher
-HDR
-G-Sync

Why
Steam survey suggests the market is still pretty small so it’s probably only going to come through ~gaming~ branding like those Acer/ASUS monitors that look like VFX spider robots. We still mainly have 27” instead of 24”, too. Guess the pixel density is too hard to hit right now.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm interested in getting a G-Sync monitor. My video card is a GTX 1060, and that is likely not going to change any time soon, so I need to stick with 1080p. The selection for 1080p G-sync monitors is extremely limited. The ASUS PG248Q seems pretty ideal, but apparently their customer support is garbage if something goes wrong. Same with the equivalent Acer model. Seems risky when I'd be spending 400-500 bucks.

There's also one from Alienware, which apparently is a step up in quality, but I have questions about refresh rates: It's a 240hz monitor, but I don't think I'll be able to get 240fps in anything with a 1060. Would this still be suitable for my rig? How do G-sync monitors deal with lower FPS than its native rating? Can you set the hz to whatever? I've only ever used 60hz in anything.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, the powers that be decided that "real" GSync monitors start at 27" 1440p and go up from there, leaving you with comparatively limited 1080p options.

Both Acer and ASUS have been trying to do a little better with customer support lately, but you're still strongly recommended to buy from a retailer with a good return policy, like Amazon or a brick-and-mortar that you can just walk it back to. Most of these panels come without noticeable problems these days, which generally means that you can figure out within the first 15 minutes whether or not you're gonna be looking into a return.

As for FPS, don't worry about it. If you can only push 130 but the panel supports 180 or 240, it'll appear quite smooth without you having to do anything. Where things get janky is the other way around: if you're trying to push 200 FPS but your panel only supports 144, you have to remember to enable GSync Fast Sync. And then, of course, if you're struggling to push 40 FPS or something, that's where GSync really shines by smoothing everything out and making it feel like you're playing at a much higher FPS than you actually are.

You could certainly set the monitor to a lower Hz than its native, but there's literally no reason to ever do so unless you get one of the 180Hz monitors and are specifically targeting a multiple-of-24 for video reasons (then you'd set it to 168Hz).

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Desuwa posted:

Yeah it seems really weird that they're releasing a monitor with specs that high without HDMI 2.1 considering anything under that can't do 10 bit 144Hz 4K. Besides, there was a huge price premium on the first IPS 144Hz 1440p monitors versus a few months later when some competing models were released. May as well wait until the 1180 comes out at least.

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Someone sanity check me here. Considering getting the XB271HU. I currently have this but my SO's monitor just died and I was considering giving it to them and upgrading. I have a 980 gpu, will probably upgrade that when the 1100 series is released.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
That's what I have and it's great. The difference between TN and IPS is night and day. A 980 isn't going to take full advantage of the high refresh rate but that's not such a big deal if you're planning to upgrade.

One thing I'd say is the stand is loving huge, it's about 8 inches from the wall to the front of the screen on my desktop. Also I think there's a similarly specced but newer model from some other company that's considered the better buy these days. AOC maybe?

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Is it this one? I'm also wondering if I should splurge on a 4k monitor instead? I know I definitely wouldn't be able to take advantage of it with a 980, but it would be something to grow into? Or is that dumb?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Yeah, the powers that be decided that "real" GSync monitors start at 27" 1440p and go up from there, leaving you with comparatively limited 1080p options.

There are 1080p GSync monitors (both 24" and 27"). It just doesn't make much sense to pay for a $100-200 premium option on a $200 monitor, combined with the fact that AUO doesn't make an AHVA 1080p panel (so no high-refresh IPS).

If you really want a 24" GSync monitor the S2417DG probably makes the most sense, just drive it at 1080p.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yeah it seems really weird that they're releasing a monitor with specs that high without HDMI 2.1 considering anything under that can't do 10 bit 144Hz 4K. Besides, there was a huge price premium on the first IPS 144Hz 1440p monitors versus a few months later when some competing models were released. May as well wait until the 1180 comes out at least.

GSync is implemented on top of DisplayPort and NVIDIA probably hasn't bothered to develop an equivalent to the wacky Displayport-over-HDMI protocol that FreeSync HDMI uses. (DP uses a packetized protocol, HDMI just bangs the bits according to the sync signal)

They are first-and-foremost DisplayPort devices and HDMI is an afterthought; even the third-gen modules (eg S2716DG, X34) only have HDMI 1.4.

(although this does raise an interesting question, do the new 4K 144 Hz monitors with DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 have a new generation of GSync modules? I'd guess yes...)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 21, 2018

The Great Outdoors
Aug 11, 2010

BaronVanAwesome posted:

-1440p
-120hz or higher
-HDR
-G-Sync

Why

this is exactly what i've been looking for, with absolutely no luck. any recommendations?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Great Outdoors posted:

this is exactly what i've been looking for, with absolutely no luck. any recommendations?

Assuming you want "real" HDR (i.e. ~1000nits and local dimming) there is nothing that meets those criteria, the only true HDR gaming monitors so far are those $2000 4K ones. You'll have to keep waiting :shrug:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Samsung announced one about a year ago and there has been no new information about once since.

The Great Outdoors
Aug 11, 2010
alright, well let's say i'm just looking to upgrade from an old 22 inch 1080p to a 1440p setup with the above criteria, disregarding HDR. Anyone able to recommend a specific model? will be used largely for gaming and photo editing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Great Outdoors posted:

alright, well let's say i'm just looking to upgrade from an old 22 inch 1080p to a 1440p setup with the above criteria, disregarding HDR. Anyone able to recommend a specific model? will be used largely for gaming and photo editing.

The Acer XB271HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

It's on the lower end in both price and what you generally get from quality, but as it's IPS, 144HZ and GSync so it blows "cheap" monitors out of the water anyway and you start running into serious diminishing returns going up in price.

For what it's worth, I got a XB270HU (same specs, different base and a few different config options) for $400 on the Acer Refurb site (today the prices don't look so great though). The first one I got had a screen problem but it was a free ship back and the 2nd I got has been solid. Below average backlight bleed, but well worthwhile.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So evidently Samsung thinks 34" 1440p UW isn't enough: https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-readies-49-inch-5120x1440-120hz-panels-gaming-monitors

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I saw one of their 49” monstrosities at a convention. It seems silly, and yet oddly compelling.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
An ultrawide at that resolution is effectively a "3.52K" display, since it'd be 7,372,800 pixels to 4K's 8,294,400.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lockback posted:

The Acer XB271HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

It's on the lower end in both price and what you generally get from quality, but as it's IPS, 144HZ and GSync so it blows "cheap" monitors out of the water anyway and you start running into serious diminishing returns going up in price.

For what it's worth, I got a XB270HU (same specs, different base and a few different config options) for $400 on the Acer Refurb site (today the prices don't look so great though). The first one I got had a screen problem but it was a free ship back and the 2nd I got has been solid. Below average backlight bleed, but well worthwhile.

What? Last I looked it was roughly the same quality as the Asus model with the same specs and the Acer and Asus ones are the best on the market.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My 12 year old Dell 2407WFP has stopped powering on, so now I'm looking for

27" 1440 IPS G-SYNC

e: I guess I can be flexible on the G-SYNC but it's preferable

and I don't know if I care about refresh rate, 75+ would probably be fine

Is there anything I can get in Australia that is okay but not as expensive as ASUS and Acer etc "gaming" monitors?

starkebn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 22, 2018

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I saw one of their 49” monstrosities at a convention. It seems silly, and yet oddly compelling.

Its compelling enough that despite the lack of GSYNC, only 1080 vertical and the occasionally notice from me of black smearing (VA) it has replaced my ASUS PG348Q.

It was largely the size coupled with just being tired of IPS glow and bleed.

It is not a perfect display, however it is a perfect size and format and I imagine with an increased resolution and IPS you will see a display of this nature enter the hands of many more people than the current iteration.

I have an album here of it, Asus PG348Q on the right for scale:

https://imgur.com/a/XqGg0ZX

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

starkebn posted:

My 12 year old Dell 2407WFP has stopped powering on, so now I'm looking for

27" 1440 IPS G-SYNC

e: I guess I can be flexible on the G-SYNC but it's preferable

and I don't know if I care about refresh rate, 75+ would probably be fine

Is there anything I can get in Australia that is okay but not as expensive as ASUS and Acer etc "gaming" monitors?

You can either go for one of the aforementioned gaming monitors or you can forgo Gsync and get one of the cheap Korean 1440/27"/IPS monitors that can be overclocked to 100Hz or so and have terrible stands, they are usually on ebay or your local equivalent thereof. Other than that you could settle for a 60Hz/1440/27"/IPS monitor from any number of manufacturers. I haven't seen any monitors with the combo of 75Hz, IPS, 27" and 1440.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

insidius posted:

Its compelling enough that despite the lack of GSYNC, only 1080 vertical and the occasionally notice from me of black smearing (VA) it has replaced my ASUS PG348Q.

It was largely the size coupled with just being tired of IPS glow and bleed.

It is not a perfect display, however it is a perfect size and format and I imagine with an increased resolution and IPS you will see a display of this nature enter the hands of many more people than the current iteration.

I have an album here of it, Asus PG348Q on the right for scale:

https://imgur.com/a/XqGg0ZX

Thanks, that is very interesting. Can Windows treat it like 2 (3?) displays so you can full-screen a game and still have a browser or whatever beside it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, that is very interesting. Can Windows treat it like 2 (3?) displays so you can full-screen a game and still have a browser or whatever beside it?

I believe there is software that allows you to do that however I only use windows for gaming so rarely have the need to split the screen to use such software. Under OSX which I use for work I have utilities for defining where windows should exist so again no need to try the additional software.

It does have picture by picture with both inputs which allows you to have two 1920x1080 windows displaying separate sources which I do hear some people like.