Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

YggiDee posted:

Because Sheik's combo finishers all do different elemental damage? And so does her strong attack? Like you might have a harder time getting the dark and light attacks out fast enough to bring down a weak point, but dropping meteors on giant bosses is pretty effective.

Thing is, different elemental damage on a weapon only matters when you're trying to empty Giant Boss weakpoints. Actual damage is determined by your weapon's element and Sheik only has Lightning (or, with her 4+ weapon, Light in addition to Lightning).

enojy posted:

It's not a huge deal, but Sheik is just a strong & fast jack of all trades available from the get go. She also has an awesome moveset for any situation, and most of her moves are dash cancelable which really adds up after dozens of missions.

Now this is more understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Sorry. I assumed it had one like Fire Emblem did but apparently that's not the case.

Hopefully they patch one in.

You got my hopes up :negative:

Did the FE Warriors game run better in handheld?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Folt The Bolt posted:

Thing is, different elemental damage on a weapon only matters when you're trying to empty Giant Boss weakpoints. Actual damage is determined by your weapon's element and Sheik only has Lightning (or, with her 4+ weapon, Light in addition to Lightning)..

In that case, then it's because we don't understand how elements work.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

You got my hopes up :negative:

Did the FE Warriors game run better in handheld?

About the same in quality mode and a little better in performance. Handheld co-op was right out.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So, was pressing buttons during the tips screen for ocarina sounds added in the 3ds or switch version.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think the Switch should let us play games handheld at the same quality as docked. Like, have a warning when you activate it that says, “You better plug in, your battery will last 15 minutes in this mode,” or whatever. Just let me have the choice!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I’ve never noticed a quality change other than resolution. Figured it handled it really well...

What does it do? Limit cpu/flops or something?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

I’ve never noticed a quality change other than resolution. Figured it handled it really well...

What does it do? Limit cpu/flops or something?

apparently cuts the GPU clock

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

In handheld mode they cut the GPU clock in half (not exactly half, it's running at a little more than half I think) primarily for battery reasons, but also the console could get hot and uncomfortable. They also can run the fan faster when docked because noise is less of a concern. They don't need as much GPU because max resolution in handheld is 720p of course.

I think the reason they don't up the clock in handheld if you are charging is because then developers would have to program in three different modes into every game instead of two, the fan would be too noisy, console too warm.

I don't mind the resolution downgrade but it sucks so bad when games run like poo poo in handheld since that's the entire reason I got a Switch :qq:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e;fb

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 19, 2018

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Fun Times! posted:

Is DKTF better than Rayman Legends?

No, I don't think so. They're hard to compare since Rayman Legends is often more of a Sonic game if Sonic was actually really super good and fun instead of ranging from alright to terrible and Tropical Freeze is more traditional platformer, but I'd still pick Rayman if given the choice between the two.

Tropical Freeze is a really good game, don't get me wrong, and it also has way more challenge to it if you're after that, but my nitpicks with it actually tarnished the experience for me. You often need some form of precognition to collect everything on your first run through a level, bosses take way longer than I feel they should, and there are almost never DK barrels after checkpoints. This means that if you die in a difficult part, now you have to try it again without the ability to float. Funky mode solves that problem, as well as giving you underwater breath, but I didn't have that option on Wii U.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
In the specific case of FE Warriors I've never had issues playing it in handheld other than a crash in the early days. Though I've never done co-op undocked

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

jetpackhewy posted:

It's more content for a very fun game. What is bad about that?

The game is already hard enough!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Computer posted:

apparently cuts the GPU clock

I don't mind the resolution downgrade but it sucks so bad when games run like poo poo in handheld since that's the entire reason I got a Switch :qq:

Half the time they run better in handheld. Zelda certainly does. It seems completely random which way is smoother

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oof if Hyrule runs better on handheld. It feels way rougher than FE warriors.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean Breath of the Wild runs better handheld.

Hyrule warriors send to be 60fps docked as far as I can tell

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

We were not meant to see Lana pat the deku tree in 60fps. It's like her wrist is breaking

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I've only been playing HW handheld, played through the first two maps, other than the King Dodongo cinematic it hasn't seemed so bad. Of course, it's hard to gauge exactly how it compares when I haven't docked it yet (and because the game is so frantic)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
To put it into perspective how bad I am at this game, I failed the sixth main story mission (Lake Hylia) on Easy.

Twice. :suicide:

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Strawberry Panda posted:

What's different in TF hard mode?

Also, is Banner Saga 1 worth getting? I know BS2 got hella praise.

I only played 1 but it was a great game that ended up annoying me because of the turn order system. No matter what after doing a units turn, an enemy unit gets a turn. So the optimal way to play was to cripple enemy units and leave them alive to delay their stronger units from getting a turn.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Half the time they run better in handheld. Zelda certainly does. It seems completely random which way is smoother

Are there more examples? I thought that was pretty much the only one

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In easy mode in Hyrule warriors do I still get the same amount of Treasure and xp?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fallom posted:

I think people said Yooka Laylee was a little smoother in handheld, maybe Rime, and a couple others. Seems mainly games with big maps where you can swing the camera around. Maybe since in handheld they are using lower quality textures or assets that are easier to stream in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Computer posted:

To put it into perspective how bad I am at this game, I failed the sixth main story mission (Lake Hylia) on Easy.

Twice. :suicide:

Make use of the mid mission saves when things are going well

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Make use of the mid mission saves when things are going well

things are never going well

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

Doom really chugs sometimes in docked mode (especially in multiplayer) and runs way better in handheld too.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm glad people are learning true futility of war, albeit from a Zelda musou game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The leaks are comin' in guys

https://twitter.com/wardleton/status/997342331845136384

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Big (loving leak) if true.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Sheik is the best character because if she attacks with Y then X and uses X again it gives her a damage shield. Since taking damage is so important it means she can easily finish any mission and not even get hit. Which is a much bigger deal in Hyrule Warriors than it is in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Does anyone know why the hell it now makes you enter the second player every single time now? I swear it didn't do that before and Fire Emblem Warriors definitely doesn't do it. It's so loving annoying!

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I made that battery life chart a little easier to read

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
So... Super Mario Sunshine 2, confirmed?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Macaluso posted:

The leaks are comin' in guys

https://twitter.com/DAIROCKETTO/status/997231367434919936

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fast RMX makes absolutely no compromises in handheld, and it might actually be better for it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
sounds like a good show

edit: when is Mueller gonna interview Mario

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Depending on whether they are gpu limited or cpu limited?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I would play Yoshi's Flippy Dippy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reality Loser posted:

Depending on whether they are gpu limited or cpu limited?

Begone with your things of making sense

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

Is DKTF better than Rayman Legends?

I prefer TF's approach to level design both aesthetically and structurally. It's levels have a sense of place and progression, with lots of mechanics that build on strong themes throughout the levels. Rayman's levels feel more abstract, the themes and mechanics feel kind of random and they don't always climax in a satisfying way for me. The thing I always point to is that I had no idea I was on the last world or the final boss until the credits started.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
super smash bros hatesex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hand Row posted:

I only played 1 but it was a great game that ended up annoying me because of the turn order system. No matter what after doing a units turn, an enemy unit gets a turn. So the optimal way to play was to cripple enemy units and leave them alive to delay their stronger units from getting a turn.

I really wanted to like it and I applaud them for trying something new with the battle mechanic, but that mechanic is still so counterintuitive and feels bad to play.

• Locked thread