Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It just kind of hit me how incredibly stupidly fun it's going to be starting in Greece. It's like a thunderdome inside a thunderdome. Morea alone looks to have a minimum of ~18 provinces. Crete has 8. But you could annex all those provinces and you still have Epirus and Macedonia sitting there looking threatening. And then the Seleucids are like some kind of ultra god tier power after that. And there's multiple parts of the map with this kind of extreme density of tiny states (multiple parts of Italy for example). It's quite different to EU4 even when you take into account the different map scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Takanago posted:

On one hand I can't help but be a little disappointed that it's not Vic 3. On the other hand :helladid:

Anyway my one hope is that the senate mechanics are back and that the Populists are obnoxious. If the Populists are not sufficiently obnoxious I will make a mod that makes them so

I hope Wiz has enough influence on the game to at least get a couple of Crete-based achievements or easter eggs in there.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It looks much prettier than I was expecting.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I see. Maybe we should have asked for a Victoria sequel ironically rather than unironically.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RabidWeasel posted:

It just kind of hit me how incredibly stupidly fun it's going to be starting in Greece. It's like a thunderdome inside a thunderdome. Morea alone looks to have a minimum of ~18 provinces. Crete has 8. But you could annex all those provinces and you still have Epirus and Macedonia sitting there looking threatening. And then the Seleucids are like some kind of ultra god tier power after that. And there's multiple parts of the map with this kind of extreme density of tiny states (multiple parts of Italy for example). It's quite different to EU4 even when you take into account the different map scale.
I have no idea what the time line is like to understand, is this a period where Rome is ascendant but not dominating yet? In other words is there going to be chance that there might be room to turn any city state you want into "Rome" with mechanics appropriate for your size?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zedprime posted:

I have no idea what the time line is like to understand, is this a period where Rome is ascendant but not dominating yet?

its basically where rome is just starting to really flex and establish control over central italy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RabidWeasel posted:

Crete has 8.

looks like we gotta do another Crete LP

Populists! :argh:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

Will be interesting to see how gameplay scales, the range of "development" under the average player's control seems significantly greater than EU4 - unless getting to Roman Empire levels of conquest actually requires you to be real good at the game.

Agean90 posted:

its basically where rome is just starting to really flex and establish control over central italy
First order of business as Carthage in any timeline: Destroy Rome.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

zedprime posted:

I have no idea what the time line is like to understand, is this a period where Rome is ascendant but not dominating yet? In other words is there going to be chance that there might be room to turn any city state you want into "Rome" with mechanics appropriate for your size?

450 Ab Urbe Condita is literally the beginning of Rome's transformation from a modest power in central Italia to the dominant power of the peninsula, and from there to the vast power we all know and love. So yes, the start date seems to be very precisely chosen to allow you to turn anyone into a major empire!

e; Time to link to the best SCP: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2513

e2; gently caress me I'm gonna finally have to do that Carthage megacampaign I've been wishing for :gonk:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

zedprime posted:

rome isn't even ascendant in 450 BC

that's still a hundred years out from their adoption of the manipular legion during the samnite wars, which is really when rome becomes something special rather than just another latin city-state

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jazerus posted:

rome isn't even ascendant in 450 BC

that's still a hundred years out from their adoption of the manipular legion during the samnite wars, which is really when rome becomes something special rather than just another latin city-state

Wait I thought the date was AVC not BC?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Wait I thought the date was AVC not BC?

yeah looks like it is AUC actually, i thought rome looked a bit too swole for 450 BC; it's actually 304 BC

okay so the maniple has literally just been adopted and rome is about to take off, yeah

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do we have a thread for Imperator: Rome?

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I've a feeling it's going to be very much a sandbox based of those pictures it would seem almost shattered world like in that there's a million OPM's. If they decide to implement ideas and such like EU4 I'm sure the "historical" majors will have NI's that help them blob more. Or maybe they'll just go full sandbox mode and every game a different Gallic tribe becomes the big boys and not just Arveni everytime.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder if the places that appear as empty space in those screenshots are empty, colonizable land, or if it's fog of war/discoverable land with tribes already existing there. I hope it's the latter.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone got a link to the Crete LP btw? Or has it been ruined by lack of image hosting? I didn't see it up on the LP Archive...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gorn Myson posted:

It looks much prettier than I was expecting.

Their new games look progressively better; Hearts of Iron's map had a great aesthetic imo and this is even better. They've really come a long way.

Also, loving sweet. This looks great.

Jazerus posted:

the interior of hispania was not a mysterious black box

otherwise, this is p rad

Could it just be that whoever was played has only explored the coast? I guess what's shown in the rest of the map doesn't really indicate that though.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At one point I was thinking about the idea of a mod that was supposed to stretch from India to Europe, and that's pretty loving close to what I came up with for the map. I think it's the way that India sort of aligns itself with the border on the right that makes it feel great, it sort of creates a natural border where a simple parallel line map feels more abrupt.

I did end up using a funky curved projection for my mod:

Since it's the Near East and China that are the focuses of the period and Europe is fairly peripheral, I really wanted the projection to have a different emphasis.

Of course since it's a custom map projection, there's no resources for it online, which meant I ended up spending hundreds of hours drawing the topography, rivers and colormaps which was...not such a good use of my time.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Drone posted:

Jordan Weisman just joked about Paradox doing a Battletech board game. I now really want that to happen.

I'm not sure if you're trolling here, but are you aware that Battletech started as a tabletop wargame? You can go to a store RIGHT NOW and buy it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Could just be Iberia is unfinished :shrug:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drone posted:

Anyone got a link to the Crete LP btw? Or has it been ruined by lack of image hosting? I didn't see it up on the LP Archive...

Here you go.

Frionnel posted:

Could just be Iberia is unfinished :shrug:

Yeah, that's probably it. There's like a million billion OPMs in gaul in that screenshot, Iberia and Germania is probably gonna get the same treatment. Though I hope for some kind of mechanic to portray migrations and such in a cool way, though that might make sense to implement more fully in an expansion focused on late antiquity.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lake Effect posted:

I'm not sure if you're trolling here, but are you aware that Battletech started as a tabletop wargame? You can go to a store RIGHT NOW and buy it.

... I was more implying that the current owners of the Battletech board game sublicense (Catalyst Game Labs) are utterly incompetent, and that I want Paradox to take over the job.

(And no you can't really very easily go to the store and buy the current version of the board game. The intro box set has been out of print for over a year and the new version isn't expected until late this year. Another example of CGL completely missing the opportunity of launching it to coincide with the successful PC game.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Rome looks really neat. So many tiny provinces.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Drone posted:

Here you go. Edit: Beaten!

I haven't checked it recently, so it might look a bit weird from missing images here and there, but the reason it's not on the LP Archives has nothing to do with that. It's more that it was felt that archiving only WIz's posts would have been cutting out the spirit of the thread, which was the furious arguments and debates between posters, but archiving every drat post in the thread or even trying to curate a selection of posts to archive would have been way too much. There were abortive attempts to write legislative summaries in lieu of wholesale debate, but those petered out after a while because it turns out that's a shitload of work and not enough people have the spare time, energy, or interest in actually doing it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Probably more excited for Rome 2 then the mythical Vicky 3

Also the new CK2 DLC look awesome. Crusades that might actually work and hopefully making pagans fun to play.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

info on the CK2 DLC? If they are having a new look at crusades then color me extremely interested. As they are now, they suck.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the TI on the map is definitely just unexplored or uncolonized, look at it carefully:

In Iberia you can see a faint province outline in the TI north of Malaca, and Caristh actually extends into another outlined province.

Also down in Africa the south-east corner of Massaesylia is clearly wrapping around an invisible province south of Massylia.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Carthage's map color should be white. Macedon should be black or dark brown or whatever it was that they were in Rome Total War.

The grey color in Spain seems to be slightly lighter than that north of the Danube. That might just be my eyes tricking me though, and it might also mean nothing. My money is anyway on unfinished. There are far too many OPMs on that map anyway for EU:Rome style colonization to seem likely to be a major mechanic.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 19, 2018

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Randarkman posted:

info on the CK2 DLC? If they are having a new look at crusades then color me extremely interested. As they are now, they suck.

Here is the dev diary on the Crusades revamp from earlier in the week. Its going to be a part of the free patch along with a lot of other cool poo poo like fixing all the horrible border gore.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-83-god-wills-it.1097740/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Agean90 posted:

As long as they do something to make the Seleucids not become an ultra hegemon (that 'something' is hopefully the Mauryan Empire) it's basically the perfect time to start the game because Rome, Egypt and Carthage (three of the main players in the Roman Republic period) are all in a state where they're likely to survive and thrive (Rome is still slightly precarious but they will probably have some amazing unique bonuses with tech / NIs / etc type stuff) while still also giving you gently caress tons of options for crazy poo poo going down in Iberia, Gaul, Greece, etc. and prior to the end of the diadochi wars proper so you can go full "Alexander 2".

Anyone know if the start date is before or after the Seleucid-Mauryan war? If it's just before they might script something there to give the Seleucids a guaranteed rocky start in spite of their size.

E:

The start date is actually before the Battle of Ipsus so Antigonos is still king poo poo in Anatolia which will probably also help even things out re: the Seleucids. Historically speaking he got coalitioned to gently caress and died in battle which allowed the Seleucids to gain the upper hand but that doesn't have to happen.

Sindai posted:

I think the TI on the map is definitely just unexplored or uncolonized, look at it carefully:

In Iberia you can see a faint province outline in the TI north of Malaca, and Caristh actually extends into another outlined province.

Also down in Africa the south-east corner of Massaesylia is clearly wrapping around an invisible province south of Massylia.

Also the Carpathian mountains are clearly visibly in a darker grey (presumably impassable / PTI)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 19, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lamentable dustman posted:

Here is the dev diary on the Crusades revamp from earlier in the week. Its going to be a part of the free patch along with a lot of other cool poo poo like fixing all the horrible border gore.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-83-god-wills-it.1097740/

so, ck2+ crusades with a better interface than a big set of event trees and a big pot of money for the crusaders

sounds excellent actually

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

As long as they do something to make the Seleucids not become an ultra hegemon (that 'something' is hopefully the Mauryan Empire) it's basically the perfect time to start the game because Rome, Egypt and Carthage (three of the main players in the Roman Republic period) are all in a state where they're likely to survive and thrive (Rome is still slightly precarious but they will probably have some amazing unique bonuses with tech / NIs / etc type stuff) while still also giving you gently caress tons of options for crazy poo poo going down in Iberia, Gaul, Greece, etc. and prior to the end of the diadochi wars proper so you can go full "Alexander 2".

Some way to slow down the Seleucids might be to split much of the empire (east of Mesopotamia essentially) off into semi-autonomous satrapies - vassals and tributary states, similar to how Rome 2 Total War does it. This game will likely have something akin to EU4's liberty desire so holding on to that many subjects should probably be difficult for them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Koramei posted:

I did end up using a funky curved projection for my mod:

Since it's the Near East and China that are the focuses of the period and Europe is fairly peripheral, I really wanted the projection to have a different emphasis.

Of course since it's a custom map projection, there's no resources for it online, which meant I ended up spending hundreds of hours drawing the topography, rivers and colormaps which was...not such a good use of my time.
I really feel you, drawing rivers basically kills any momentum for me, though having to set up all the data for provinces/history afterward is not great either. A scenario editor that allowed you to just "paint" provinces with culture/religion/trade goods/cores/owners and so on, for any given date, is basically my dream. Actually, just put everything to do with that sort of stuff in the editor. Let me click on provinces to name them how I want them to appear in-game, let me create custom nations, ideas, and so on too, and then just have the editor create the files in a proper format.

Thinking about it, the fact that we haven't got such a DLC means Paradox is either extremely mean to modders, or its own developers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Paradox Grand Strategy: wherever I may Rome.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I really feel you, drawing rivers basically kills any momentum for me, though having to set up all the data for provinces/history afterward is not great either. A scenario editor that allowed you to just "paint" provinces with culture/religion/trade goods/cores/owners and so on, for any given date, is basically my dream. Actually, just put everything to do with that sort of stuff in the editor. Let me click on provinces to name them how I want them to appear in-game, let me create custom nations, ideas, and so on too, and then just have the editor create the files in a proper format.

Thinking about it, the fact that we haven't got such a DLC means Paradox is either extremely mean to modders, or its own developers.

I am glad I am not alone. The editing tools that were in HoI4 were great but all they really did was leave you feeling like it could be soooo much better one day. Most of it was still manual manipulation of text files en masse.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Paradox Grand Strategy: "et tu, Johan?"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: "et tu, Johan?"

Paradox Grand Strategy: Veni, Vidi, Vicky.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Some way to slow down the Seleucids might be to split much of the empire (east of Mesopotamia essentially) off into semi-autonomous satrapies - vassals and tributary states, similar to how Rome 2 Total War does it. This game will likely have something akin to EU4's liberty desire so holding on to that many subjects should probably be difficult for them.

Unless I'm being dumb and misreading a bunch of dates 450AUC = 304BC is neatly before the Battle of Ipsus and during the Seleucid-Mauryan war so it seems likely that the Seleucids aren't going to have an easy time unlike if the start was 3 years later after they took a gigantic chunk of Anatolia.

I was curious because this isn't how I remembered EU:Rome which definitely did have unholy nightmare God Seleucids and that game started in 280BC (during the Pyrrhic Wars IIRC?). The earlier start date seems like a much more interesting choice provided that they can make Rome strong enough to almost always become a major power (they kind of need to be "end boss Ottomans" type material)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 19, 2018

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
That minimap seems to show a lot more of Scandinavia than I wouldve thought. I wonder what the plan is there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The plan is to use this game as a baseboard for CK3. :smug: