Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(Duly noted. ;) )

I feel like I've seen a couple different tooltips in different places, including in the game itself; can someone confirm that Concentration procs when:
You fully Maintain a ranged power;
You Charge a ranged power to full;
or you hit someone from 25+ ft away?

It's that middle one that I'm not 100% sure about.

(Also, FF, just to be sure: in that second build you list Form of the Tempest but then talk about Form of the Tiger. Tempest seems to make more sense, but wanted to confirm.)

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oops yes, Tempest (gain a stack on crit)

Concentration I'm pretty sure you only need to charge/maintain a ranged power past 50%. There is a cooldown on stack gaining in general so you shouldn't ever get more than 1 stack in 2 seconds, so if you shoot a guy with a fully charged ranged power from >25 feet away, you still only get one stack.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Under the "Select a Power" menu, at least, the tooltip says this under 'Trigger Conditions':

"...you have a chance to gain another instance of Concentration whenever you fully maintain a ranged power or use a ranged power from more than 25' away." (max once every 4 seconds)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Some of the tooltip info is wrong, you can test that in the powerhouse and find out for yourself.

e: yeah concentration definitely does not require full charge/full maintain, the 4 second cooldown for stack gain is harder to verify

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 19, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I've found I get a stack of Concentration about 50-75% of the way through a maintain. I also think the 4-second thing is true because sometimes the stack comes late into my next maintain (which is usually Assault Rifle).

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

sometimes i read this thread and want to reinstall this game. i haven't played since 2013 apparently. how much have things changed?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not as much as you'd think, there's some "endgame" content that would be new to you but very little besides that. Some powers have been added, a few archetypes have been redone and some new ones added, stuff like that.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Judging by your avatar, you appreciate the finer things in life, Tsurupettan - and by "finer things" I mean "robot-spider backpacks." Care to weigh in on how best to reproduce an ARACHNOS soldier in Champions?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
He should, I'm pretty sure he did that back in the day. :v:

I might be down for my once per 3 year foray back into CO if we've actually got like, five whole goons to team with.

As for Conc procs saying 100% charge and actually only requiring 50%+, I'm pretty sure I know the secret. CO uses an extremely strict rollback system, something Cryptic does in all of it's games AFAIK. CO's is way stricter then CoH/STO/Neverwinter though, so a tiny bit of latency can cause huge rubberbanding. If your connection isn't great, try using any 'dash towards' power on an enemy running perpendicular to you and 9/10 times the game will lose it's mind and you'll teleport around like a DBZ character for a sec while it tries to figure out where to put you. Given CO's combat leans heavily on the timing based Block and Charge mechanics, this used to cause pretty ugly issues of Blocks animating and then just not working, Charge powers failing even when overcharged, and the like. One of the first major gameplay patches I remember mostly fixed this, but it was kind of a quick and dirty hack that just added a ton of leeway to the timing on Block/Charge stuff. The movement never got another pass though, so CO is still rubberband city on a lousy connection.

That combined with the floaty physics is why people complain about the game feeling like it's coated in jello, but honestly you get used to it if you're patient.

Also, if you're playing anything vaguely spider themed (Like an ARACHNOS Crab) and you're coming to CO as a former CoH player I can't recommend the Swinging travel power enough. It's definitely one thing that CO totally nailed that CoH never had anything like.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Swinging is really fun, yeah, it looks great and is fun to use :thumbsup:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Is it still objectively the best for tanks with the additive dodge bonus? That poo poo was great on Mecha Monkey.

I'm assuming they haven't added any Powersets in the last few years? If there's no staff still I'll probably just rework his build to add the chain swing taunt for aggro.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No new powersets but a whole bunch of new powers. If you're trying to do dodge tank there's several ways to reach 100% dodge and the cosmics all cancel travel powers pretty constantly so I wouldn't recommend that as 'best'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the game has only had about 800mb in patches in the last 2 years so it's real easy to update.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

No new powersets but a whole bunch of new powers. If you're trying to do dodge tank there's several ways to reach 100% dodge and the cosmics all cancel travel powers pretty constantly so I wouldn't recommend that as 'best'.

I didn't mean for getting around, I meant best because Flippin' gives you a stacking dodge buff which is way better then like, Super Speed's weird damage boost thing.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I saw some talk earlier in the thread of a combination Sorcery/Infernal build (going for an aesthetic+theme of 'magical/magitech/demon-powered armor,' which is extremely my jam). What would folks suggest vis a vis key skills to look at and potentially build around?

It seems like Enchanter (passive) + Spellcaster (toggle) + Conjuring (energy unlock) are no-brainers...
Skarn's Bane, Soul Beam, and Star Barrage from Arcane...
Curse, Will'o'wisp, maybe Devour Essence (or Life Drain(from Shadow)) for other magic powers...

Maybe a pet? And/or some ancillary team-healing effects? Kind of go for a "Swiss Army knife" approach. Also not sure whether to go Eldritch Bolts/Blast, or dip into Shadow Bolt/Blast (for easy Curses).

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 23, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

I didn't mean for getting around, I meant best because Flippin' gives you a stacking dodge buff which is way better then like, Super Speed's weird damage boost thing.

Flippin' doesn't fire when the travel power is off, and it pretty much will be during cosmic fights, although it works in most other content. If you're trying to build for 100% dodge and you're not into Martial Arts then you might want it, but if you are into MA you don't really need it (you can get >100% dodge with other stuff).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ghost of Starman posted:

I saw some talk earlier in the thread of a combination Sorcery/Infernal build (going for an aesthetic+theme of 'magical/magitech/demon-powered armor,' which is extremely my jam). What would folks suggest vis a vis key skills to look at and potentially build around?

It seems like Enchanter (passive) + Spellcaster (toggle) + Conjuring (energy unlock) are no-brainers...
Skarn's Bane, Soul Beam, and Star Barrage from Arcane...
Curse, Will'o'wisp, maybe Devour Essence (or Life Drain(from Shadow)) for other magic powers...

Maybe a pet? And/or some ancillary team-healing effects? Kind of go for a "Swiss Army knife" approach. Also not sure whether to go Eldritch Bolts/Blast, or dip into Shadow Bolt/Blast (for easy Curses).

Here's the thread I made on the CO boards looking for build help on my demon in his technomagic suit. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1208279/need-feedback-on-sorc-infernal-build Hope this helps.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10916073 posted:

Greetings, Champions.

We’re making a change to how subscriptions work in Champions Online. The Lifetime Subscription will still be available and unchanged, but we’re shifting away from monthly subscriptions. As of June 7th, those subscriptions will no longer be available on our website. Instead, we’re replacing them with a brand new purchasable pack, Premium Pack.

When you purchase the Premium Pack, the following items will become available to you.

2 Gold Costume Tokens for One Character on Your Account
Access to Several Services:
Adds 6 Character Slots on Your Account
Adds 1 Costume Slot on Your Account
Adds 40 Auction Slots on Your Account
Adds 3 Inventory Bag Slots on Your Account
A Resource Limit of 200,000 G
The Ability to Change the Colors of your Powers
One Free Retcon at Level 40
You’ll unlock the following Costume Sets on your Account:
Demon Knight
High Plains Drifter
Legacy Power Armor
Martial Arts Master
Ninja Warrior
Pharaonic Master
Sakura Mech Armor
Shining Knight
Soldier of Fortune
Spartan Armor
Variety Pack
Viking Warrior
Wired Cyborg
You’ll unlock access to the following Travel Powers on your Account:
Earth Flight
Fire Flight
Hover Disk
Ice Slide
Jet Boots
Rocket Jump
Swinging
Tunneling
And you’ll get access to two Titles:
Icon
Exceptional

This pack is available June 7th in the C-store for 1500 zen. If you would like to gain a monthly subscription, you have until then to do so.

quote:

Can current subscribers - Gold or Lifetime - buy this pack on top of their subscription for extra rewards?

If you have ever purchased a subscription or are currently subscribed you can claim the Premium Pack from the bonus tab in the ZEN store. The Premium Pack and Monthly Subscription Rewards do not stack on each other.

There will be a separate purchase available to former Gold or Lifetime members that will add any items you don’t currently own to your account.

I guess they want people to pay out the rear end for freeform slots from now on? This seems poorly thought out

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So what does lifetime even do then? The zen stipend, and freeform access?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

So what does lifetime even do then? The zen stipend, and freeform access?

Plus veteran rewards and the other monthly costume rewards they did before, it looks like.

They updated the FAQ on that page to clarify you are indeed hosed if you don't purchase lifetime:

quote:

What happens to my gold characters if my sub lapses?

If your sub lapses, and you had gold characters, they will change to silver like they would normally. If you want to keep them gold, you will have to purchase a lifetime sub. Otherwise, they will have to be converted to archetypes in order to be played.

If you purchased a freeform slot, that will forever remain a freeform slot.

We are looking into the possibility of creating a purchasable item to convert silver slots into freeform slots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh right, the vet thing. So now... you can't get vet stuff without lifetime?

What a weird system.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't get it, if they are no longer offering subscriptions, are they expecting brand new people to pay 50 bucks a pop for each freeform slot? They're also getting rid of the bonus character slot on getting to level 40 while subscribed. I don't see how this does anything but discourage new people from spending money unless they reduce the price of freeform slots to something less insane.

e: from the forums

quote:

EXCUSE ME? I have over 69 characters, 62 of which are Zstore FF slots, what does this mean for me?

Jesus, I guess this guy and people like him is where they make their money now :confused:

Oh.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/p...-better-things/

and

http://massivelyop.com/2018/01/31/pwe-will-sunset-moba-gigantic-in-july-because-it-couldnt-break-through-in-a-crowded-market/

lol I don't think Gigantic even made it a year

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 1, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Seems like this stiffs new lifers very badly but I guess there aren't many of those lately and those that are, they must figure they are mega whales anyway

e: it really smells to me like they're tidying up in advance of shutting the game down :sadwave:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 1, 2018

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They also clarified on their forums that you still have to unlock the archetypes for these newly converted gold to silver characters.

This seems like a lot of poor decisions.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This setup worked ok for STO but they're just dumping it on CO without any thought about if it's a good idea here or not. Bad move

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Neverwinter basically never had a subscription model but they allow you to buy essentially the same thing with Zen, but this is just not good in any way at all :confused: No way for non-lifers to play freeform characters without paying 50 bucks each, plus whatever the hypothetical conversion item per character costs for existing subscribers. This doesn't really affect silver players at all, except cutting off the 15 bucks a month cash flow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They should at least include a free form slot in the premium pack or something. Make it first time buy only if you have to.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

This setup worked ok for STO but they're just dumping it on CO without any thought about if it's a good idea here or not. Bad move
Pretty much. They did something similar a few months ago for STO and it worked great, but that was because subs there gave a lot less. It really, really doesn't work well here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Does Trek have the same kind of stark difference between freeform/premium slots and pubbie slots?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Does Trek have the same kind of stark difference between freeform/premium slots and pubbie slots?

I used to play it a long while ago and there was nothing anywhere near as drastic as CO, no. I think there was something with needing dilithium for endgame ships, and subscribing meant you could refine more per day/automatically. STO had one of the player-friendliest freemium models that I can recall seeing in a game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There’s no archetype/freeform equivalent for STO.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yikes. Maybe it's for the best I didn't resub last week.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The subscription in STO gave some stuff like character slots, inventory and bank slots, respec tokens, and so on, all of which stayed around on the characters that got them even after you unsubbed. It was way less important overall, and moving it to a single purchase setup was way friendlier and more convenient since you really only ever needed a sub for a month while you leveled a character up anyway.

Except it... doesn't work like that in CO, and this turns out to be a pretty crippling change thanks to the freeform slot thing. :geno:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well if you're a silver player like I'm sure the big majority are, the pack has some great poo poo in it and I bet a lot of folks are going to buy it, and giving it out free to people who have been subscribers in the past (like me) owns kind of a lot, no regrets there, but ...... it's a one time transaction and a large percentage won't involve actual USD, I just don't understand why they're closing the subscription model and leaving only the original super-expensive microtransactions as your only choices.

e: discontinuing monthly vet awards entirely, that's not a good sign :ohdear:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2018

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I'd already decided to cancel my monthly sub after just 1 month, but it was with the understanding that I could always renew and keep playing my FF characters. This new model - to my mind - sucks rear end. I strongly suspect they're chasing the whales at the expense of small reasonable transactions even harder, and to even more detriment.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I would've been all over the Premium Pack back when I first started.

If I was Cryptic, I would've put a Freeform slot in it, though. I kind of assumed that's what it was: take a Silver character and get Freeform on that character only for $15.

edit: The true damage this change is doing is seemingly to player confidence.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 2, 2018

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChampionsFFA/status/1002627535358705664

Looks like they're also gutting the option to buy any account wide costume slots

Another choice that seems Not Very Smart

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:ughh:

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Abroham Lincoln posted:

https://twitter.com/ChampionsFFA/status/1002627535358705664

Looks like they're also gutting the option to buy any account wide costume slots

Another choice that seems Not Very Smart

I shamefully have 54 costume slots account wide, this new system would probably cost a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wonder if they did some kind of analysis that indicated that people only have a few characters. I have one guy I use for any events, endgame content, etc. Any others are just RP characters or ones to test out powersets on, I don't care as much about them even being freeform. There are a lot of people making noise claiming to have sixty filled out character slots or whatever, and I don't doubt it, but this feels to me that the money people see that most players have only a few characters and this'll make more money from people with a small roster.

It always struck me as weird that you could buy two costume slots account-wide or do it character by character. The first option was always better if you were going to play the game for any length of time. Two slots to every character you ever made versus one particular character.

I think I played CO for like two years before even paying a cent, so, I might not be the best judge.

Removing subscriptions + no more monthly costume slots, though... That's what has people talking in my circles about time running out. But Save the Earth is also something I never expected from them at this point, so, who knows. Maybe they're planning some kind of Renaissance given they're the last superhero MMO standing or whatever.