Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

how could you forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZabqpT6sg&t=18s

Well, I guess that's not attempted

That is the #1 successful suicide though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I realized Trek has a lot of suicides in it so i made a mock cracked.com list that I'm sure probably exists somewhere already

Top Trek Attempted Suicides

Malcom Reed tries to suck vacuum

In a valiant attempt to keep a stiff upper lip the ships extremely British security officer tries to kill himself by removing his oxygen supply on a space walk to stop Scott Bakula from smirking at him like a douche all the time. Unfortunately, like his country, he got shut down by an American.

Gomtuu gives up

Exhausted from millenia of doing dick all a space calzone decides to bake itself beyond perfection next to an exploding star. It's death is postponed so that an insufferable rear end in a top hat can sit in one of those Lexx butthole licking chairs for a few decades.

The guy that looks like Mister Feeny

This giant nerd gets all pissy that Riker hosed Frasier's wife or something and makes Riker shoot him in the face but unfortunately he was too stupid to realize the giant 4 inch wide power indicator was a power indicator and he was only stunned.

Worf Really wants to die

When Deanna gets chocolate wasted or something and starts hallucinating she is held up by wires on a green screen the crew starts to go insane and the first thing Worf does is try to swallow a Bud K clearance item.

Then when the only object on board that hasn't kicked his rear end, a barrel, decides to kick his rear end he decides living in a wheelchair or even being able to walk relatively well is too much work and asks Riker to bring him his knife. The only thing that stops him is that Riker wants to involve his lovely kid in the ritual.

Mind Invasion #4,505

I'm not at this point on my rewatch yet and the only thing I remember from this episode is that it's really weird how the nacelles are apparently completely empty except for giant spark plugs directly under a doorway. You would think there would be some advanced science stuff in there or something. Do people hang out in there all the time? Is someone trying to kick those sparkplug things back into place like Kirk in Into Darkness? Is that what happens when Warp Drive goes down everytime they hit a space possum or whatever?

Anyway Deanna Troi gets mind invaded because it's Thursday and almost throws herself into the spark plugs.

Bajorans are universally terrible

This counts as an attempted suicide because this guy wanted to stay on his farm and the idiot Bajorans wanted to blow up the arable moon to provide power for their starving population even though infinite clean energy exists and the phasers they all carry around could power a household. The important thing here is that memory alpha says that there were dog sized spiders on the moon. Who the gently caress would want to stay on dog spider moon?

Anyway he is saved when Kira blows up his house and ignores his pleas for the sweet release of death and drags him off of his land against his will.

Neelix almost redeems himself

When Neelix is killed by some space lightning the crew starts planning a party but the Doctor goes against everyone's wishes and disobeys a direct order from my heart to revive the angry retarded space cat that reeks of rancid space cat piss and stalks children. He is distraught that his giant cat tree in the sky isn't real and he only saw the horrible oblivion awaiting him after death. He almost succeeds in making the best episode of any Trek ever by beaming himself into space but they lure him off the transporter pad with a child.

Potatoes O'Dyin

After getting twenty years of prison implanted in his head O'Brien is unable to handle the fact that he snapped the neck of his prison wife who was trying to do something nice for him. I think he also tried to hit his daughter or something because he was so hosed up but nobody really seemed to care. I think Bashir reminded him of the true meaning of Ireland or something.

star trek is amazing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Best successful suicides: that guy who flew into a fuckin sun while shouting "LET THERE BE LIGHT"

That guy made NO loving SENSE

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
They forgot Nomad.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Not technically Trek but any excuse to revisit this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

They forgot Nomad.

And M5.

"This... unit... must... die."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Again; major spoilers for BSG.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Again; major spoilers for BSG.

This is GBS, not TVIV. The constant threat of unannounced spoilers is all part of the thrill of posting here.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Tasha dies

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Then comes back as:
- a holostatue
- herself but from another universe
- a romulan

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is GBS, not TVIV. The constant threat of unannounced spoilers is all part of the thrill of posting here.

Having that spoiled for you is nothing compared to missing out on seeing that commercial afterward on first run.

I don't remember, was there ever any official word on whether that was deliberate?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Potatoes O'Dyin

This is the best thing that will ever be posted in this thread.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spoilers for BSG it's bad and you shouldn't bother watching it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's cool how it's two and a half minutes long for just a little part at the end

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

I would care more if this happened in a BSG episode that aired last night, who cares about potentially spoiling a TV series that has been cancelled for years and if you've not seen it yet you obviously aren't that bothered.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Chief in BSG is the most miserable gently caress in scifi.

Potatoes can still crack a nervous smile while drinking a pint and telling a bad cardi joke despite being handed the most miserable deal in scifi.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I'm at that Jellico/Four Lights two-parter and I just realized how absurd it is to pick an elite covert commando team of 40-50 year old Shakespearean actors and middle aged mothers.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 19, 2018

revolther
May 27, 2008
Protocol dictates Riker should have ruined the Four Lights scene.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Frakes went all Foo Fighters and has copies of the episodes he directed with himself playing every character.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I'm at that Jellico/Four Lights two-parter and I just realized how absurd it is to pick an elite covert commando team of 40-50 year old Shakespearean actors and middle aged mothers.

It's the last thing they expect to be sent against them.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

revolther posted:

Protocol dictates Riker should have ruined the Four Lights scene.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Frakes went all Foo Fighters and has copies of the episodes he directed with himself playing every character.

Nah, Riker already had the spotlight a few episodes before that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGpdUlFUujM

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat replicant O'Brien orders "Coffee. Jamaican style. Double sweet, double strong" with such conviction, and so many loving tubes in this episode that I really want some

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

double strong is just his replicator code word for a coffee mug full of scotch

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i demand the thread title be returned to the original STAR TREK: VOYAGER

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lord of Pie posted:

double strong is just his replicator code word for a coffee mug full of scotch

It's no biggie though, he just sees Bashir for monthly liver regeneration treatments and everything is fine.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i demand the thread title be returned to the original STAR TREK: VOYAGER

Every star trek thread ends up being about DS9 in general and then ultimately about obrian

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
well the universe is a simulation built specifically to torture Miles O'Brien so it's only natural.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Let's get things back on track, what is everyone's favorite and least favorite episode of Voyager?
I like Blood Fever the best and the one where Janeway and Chakotay are stuck on the planet together the least.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Let's get things back on track, what is everyone's favorite and least favorite episode of Voyager?
I like Blood Fever the best and the one where Janeway and Chakotay are stuck on the planet together the least.

I really like Living Witness. They did something interesting that makes creative use of the setting and the established technologies. And it doesn't even have an ending that ruins it.

...Is it telling that that episode technically has none of the usual characters in it at any point? It's not the actual Voyager people, it's all holograms and backup holograms and propaganda-altered holograms all the time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

well the universe is a simulation built specifically to torture Miles O'Brien so it's only natural.

Uh, the universe is a spheroid region, 705m in diameter.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Fight is the best episode of Voyager. :colbert:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Uh, the universe is a spheroid region, 705m in diameter.

Computer, create a universe that emulates Miles O'Brien

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tasha's sister and her impossible early 90s hairstyle was hot and I wish she had stuck around

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Tasha's sister and her impossible early 90s hairstyle was hot and I wish she had stuck around

:agreed:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Tighclops posted:

:riker:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Fav: Blink of an Eye is almost certainly the best sci-fi story that Voyager manages to poo poo out in those seven years. My favorite part of it though is after it’s over and you’re stuck wondering why Voyager doesn’t stick around for ten minutes for the hyperplanet to invent slipstream/transwarp/hyperspace/wormholes/graviton catapult and send them home.

Least favorite: impossible to determine, but there’s nothing that is egregiously heinous that sticks out. I’ll change my mind if someone mentions one that jogs my anger-memories.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

that one with the beautiful cities just off-screen was pretty bad

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FrensaGeran posted:

Least favorite: impossible to determine, but there’s nothing that is egregiously heinous that sticks out. I’ll change my mind if someone mentions one that jogs my anger-memories.

Caretaker is pretty poo poo. Threshold has its moments but it’s hard to ignore how Caretaker tripped over its own balls at every opportunity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FrensaGeran posted:

Both Lineage and Repentance are utterly reprehensible for their own uniquely-offensive reasons and the absolute nadir of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Did they ever explain why travelling at warp speeds doesn't incurr time dilation wrt General Relativity?

Or are we supposed to handwave that away and stare at Troi's huge, uh, eyelashes