Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I decided to replay this the other day and started up a poison/bleed run. I'm having a lot of fun except for the odd boss that resists both. I'm swapping between power stancing two cestus and two claws, both infused with poison.

But for the occasional enemy immune or resistant to both, do you all have any good weapons you recommend? I'm putting more points in dex but would prefer a weapon a little more durable than the claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I decided to replay this the other day and started up a poison/bleed run. I'm having a lot of fun except for the odd boss that resists both. I'm swapping between power stancing two cestus and two claws, both infused with poison.

But for the occasional enemy immune or resistant to both, do you all have any good weapons you recommend? I'm putting more points in dex but would prefer a weapon a little more durable than the claws.

The caesti are objectively the best weapons (aside from the bone fist, naturally), so I'm afraid it's all downhill from where you're standing.

Taking your question in the spirit it's intended, though, curved swords, rapiers and spears are all solid options for dex characters. If you specifically want something dex-based with high durability, maybe try a curved greatsword?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Well, first, you need the Bracing Knuckle and Stone Rings, if you haven't equipped them already. I might recommend not picking up another weapon; that way, you can keep your equip load light and use Flynn's. In general, the Caestus scale really well with STR and DEX, so if you're leveling them both, you can use just about anything.

Otherwise, pick up a whip and bow for range.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I should probably clarify, all four weapons I'm using (both caesti and both claws) are infused with poison. So when I run into bosses like The Rotten or Najka, both of which are either absurdly resistant to poison or even outright immune, my damage plummets. So that's why I'm looking for a third type of weapon. Weight shouldn't be a problem, because I'm using a combination of the black leather set and whatever pieces of the shadow set have dropped.

I'll check out some of the suggestions though, thanks!

EDIT:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 17, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Looks awesome.

If you want to stick with the double weapon style, maybe powerstanced daggers might work for you? Look for ones with high dex scaling, obviously (the standard-rear end dagger should be fine for example). Or two short swords, same idea. Your stats should easily allow you to powerstance most smaller weapons.

Though with Strength as high as this but Dex as main damage stat, you could easily afford, as people said, a curved greatsword and just mulch fuckers who dare resist status effects. In fact, the stat spread is probably perfect for a two-handed Curved Dragon Greatsword.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How far into OIK is the catalyst spear? It looks fun and I might build into it instead of dex

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

StashAugustine posted:

How far into OIK is the catalyst spear? It looks fun and I might build into it instead of dex

IIRC you need to start the elevators to get to it. So a good ways.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DoubleNegative posted:

I should probably clarify, all four weapons I'm using (both caesti and both claws) are infused with poison. So when I run into bosses like The Rotten or Najka, both of which are either absurdly resistant to poison or even outright immune, my damage plummets. So that's why I'm looking for a third type of weapon. Weight shouldn't be a problem, because I'm using a combination of the black leather set and whatever pieces of the shadow set have dropped.

I'll check out some of the suggestions though, thanks!

EDIT:

Plain old Rapier will probably do just fine, especially with how much dex you have. Throw on a Leo Ring and go to town with the DPS.

If you had access to Eleum Loyce, I'd suggest an Ice Rapier, but it sounds like you aren't there yet.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I can't seem to get twisted barricade to work at all. Is there some trick to it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

I can't seem to get twisted barricade to work at all. Is there some trick to it?

It's a parry.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I know, I just can't seem to get the timing of it right. Spells seem to go straight through it during the 1.5 seconds when its activated.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's also terrible so good luck. Try casting it early. And it's picky about what spells it can and can't parry.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Ok so I guess the problem was using it on the mages in Tseldora. I went used it on a bandage face caster in the lost bastille and it worked. But yeah it kinda sucks. Thanks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I really don't understand the decision to introduce a limited time spell deflecting mechanic in the same game which introduces... a limited time spell deflection mechanic called spell parry shields.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Amppelix posted:

I really don't understand the decision to introduce a limited time spell deflecting mechanic in the same game which introduces... a limited time spell deflection mechanic called spell parry shields.

Maybe you want to hold a greatshield in one hand but also be able to parry spells while holding a catalyst in the other.

But yeah, that spell category is garbage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Amppelix posted:

It's from the DaSo1 dlc.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Having never played this game on release. I can't imagine how hectic Iron Keep must be. Even now there is invades every few minutes.

Enjoying this game a lot even though it has some flaws compared to 1. The whole shaded woods, invisible enemies made me fear other players outlines the whole game. It is like the mimics in ds1. It took something that you normally think is safe and turned it on it's head.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In scholar yeah, but when the original game came out it wasn’t as bad since the area isn’t a goddamn clown car of alonne knights and NPC invaders in original dark souls 2

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got SOTFS for my 360 time ago as it was like 9€ and never played it since I already owned it on PC but I may give it a go so I can play the vanilla placements and see how Iron Keep was. DS2 scholar on oldgen is just vanilla DS+dlc, right?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Guillermus posted:

I got SOTFS for my 360 time ago as it was like 9€ and never played it since I already owned it on PC but I may give it a go so I can play the vanilla placements and see how Iron Keep was. DS2 scholar on oldgen is just vanilla DS+dlc, right?

That's right, only the next-gen versions of SotFS got the updated enemy layouts. The last-gen versions got new descriptions, Aldia, and some balance changes, but didn't get the enemy placement changes, the graphics upgrade, or the additional phantoms.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Let's see if the 360 doesn't die trying to keep the 30fps of DS2, I'll start this weekend a maceman.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still playing this for the first time. I got the hunters black bow and been going for a dex build for my first run. Holy poo poo this weapon is op. Probably the first time I felt a bow build wasn't completely trash. Been using Hunters Black bow and ricards rapier/estoc. Estoc feels better for pvp but Rapier's r2 can work in pve.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Where even is the blackbow in 2?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Where even is the blackbow in 2?

Drangleic, above the weird acid pool near the start of the outdoor section.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I definitely got all the base achievements for 2 on 360 (and then the extended version of them on PS4 since I'm a drat madman) and I don't remember the frame rate ever going too bad on 360.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What do you do in duels where the other has a long rear end weapon and is lagging? I just started doing the duels recently on Ds2 and encountered this a few times. Even if I am nowhere near their attacks hit me. At first I thought I was underestimating the range but after playing the same guy multiple times in many of his attacks I was nowhere near.

Also surprised how many people I have been able to hit and stagger with the r2 on ricards rapier. I thought it would be useless but it actually catches a lot of people off guard if they don't know you have ricards.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

What do you do in duels where the other has a long rear end weapon and is lagging?

give up

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I still haven't learned how to beat the Heide knights effectively. I think at this point I just brute force through them with Estus.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the sword ones i can semi-reliably parry, but the spear guy is painful.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

double nine posted:

the sword ones i can semi-reliably parry, but the spear guy is painful.
Shield up or back off, bait his jump attack, then go for a backstab. Keep a Dagger around specifically for that, especially early game you'll deal absurdly more damage even with an unupgraded one than with your normal weapon unless that is a weapon that's super good for backstabs to begin with.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I just beat DS3 for the second time and I'm ready to jump into 2. I really enjoyed beating DS3 with pyro and DS1 with Giant Dad. Since I'm pretty poo poo at dark souls games what class would yall recommend? How does Pyro scaling work? Is Giant Dad type STR a viable build? What about "quality"?

I've put like ~50 hours into DS2 over the years but they're all just me starting new characters, getting through the heide knights, getting distracted and quitting, but this time I really want to get through it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Frog Act posted:

So I just beat DS3 for the second time and I'm ready to jump into 2. I really enjoyed beating DS3 with pyro and DS1 with Giant Dad. Since I'm pretty poo poo at dark souls games what class would yall recommend? How does Pyro scaling work? Is Giant Dad type STR a viable build? What about "quality"?

I've put like ~50 hours into DS2 over the years but they're all just me starting new characters, getting through the heide knights, getting distracted and quitting, but this time I really want to get through it.

Just about any type of build is viable in DS2 as long as you remember to level adaptability and don’t do anything completely stupid. Levels are REALLY cheap in DS2, so your starting class actually doesn’t matter even as much as in the other souls games. You’ll be level 50 before you know it anyway. The possible variety is one of the game’s best qualities imo. Some strong early game weapons are the rapier and mace, both available from Lenigrast as soon as you unlock his shop in Majula.

Pyro scaling depends on how upgraded your pyro hand is (you need a special upgrade item called a fire seed) and scales from the sum of your intelligence and faith. So 30INT/30FTH does the same thing for pyro as 50INT/10FTH. Irritatingly enough, you can’t start as a pyro in this game and it will take a couple bosses to get the pyro hand and probably more than that to unlock the pyro trainer.

Quality is totally viable though unfortunately there isn’t an infusion specifically for it (or for STR or DEX scalings) in this game. You can’t be a true giant dad because the armor required is not in the game, but ultra greatswords are good and you can wreck poo poo with them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

skasion posted:

Just about any type of build is viable in DS2 as long as you remember to level adaptability and don’t do anything completely stupid. Levels are REALLY cheap in DS2, so your starting class actually doesn’t matter even as much as in the other souls games. You’ll be level 50 before you know it anyway. The possible variety is one of the game’s best qualities imo. Some strong early game weapons are the rapier and mace, both available from Lenigrast as soon as you unlock his shop in Majula.

Pyro scaling depends on how upgraded your pyro hand is (you need a special upgrade item called a fire seed) and scales from the sum of your intelligence and faith. So 30INT/30FTH does the same thing for pyro as 50INT/10FTH. Irritatingly enough, you can’t start as a pyro in this game and it will take a couple bosses to get the pyro hand and probably more than that to unlock the pyro trainer.

Quality is totally viable though unfortunately there isn’t an infusion specifically for it (or for STR or DEX scalings) in this game. You can’t be a true giant dad because the armor required is not in the game, but ultra greatswords are good and you can wreck poo poo with them.

Interesting - so would a STR/FTH build be viable with pyromancies and miracles, since it scales off the sum rather than the average or whatever in DS3? I've heard DS2 is best played without focusing on a shield playstyle (hbomberguy seems very passionate about that, his defense of ds2 video is what made me wanna pick it back up) so a UGS/miracles/pyromancies would be dope, especially if miracles and pyro buffs are as good as they are in 1/3.

What kind of scaling infusions are there? Adaptability effects i-frames right? I had a much easier time with my second playthrough of DS3 (took half the hours) because I was able to do so much better with scaling and infusing now that I know what I'm doing. With no DEX/STR do people just infuse 2h with elements or just not at all?

also I have SOTFS on PC, is there much of a coop community left? I can solo like 1/3rd of the bosses in most games but not quite all of them

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I always found Pyromancies a bit "eh" in DS2. They're fine for the most part, but not really exciting, not that many enemies seem outright weak to them and you usually have better options. They're just very basic compared to the crazy options you get in every other spell class. Also, slow to get going, and the weapon buff is Ascetic or NG+ only.

As for scaling, it's super simple and one of the best things in DS2. First of all, you can infuse everything, including boss weapons, with almost every element. SotFS also makes it that you can do that very soon instead of having to wait for quite a bit. The "almost" is mostly very special weapons and catalysts, by the way.

This means that you can very easily just pick a weapon (or five), upgrade them to max (+10 or +5), then put your element of choice in and that's it. If you have the stats to make the scaling work, such an infusion is also usually a very good idea, because - another point in DS2's favor - you can absolutely no problem enchant infused weapons. If you start with a weapon that already has an element, like the Dragonslayer's Axe, then you gain a bunch extra by infusing it with the same element, and then you get even more damage upon enchanting it with Lightning Blade. This can get super silly. You can find a lot of those weapons that have an element already attached to them, if you're already planning for STR/FTH for example, you can just upgrade those normally until you think your FTH is high enough, then make them lightning and unlock a lot of FTH-scaled damage. Maybe you want to also wait until you actually get the weapon buff to make it really sing.

The same applies for status elements, by the way. Weapon that already has bleed? More often than not gains damage in addition to bleed buildup if you infuse it with more bleed. Same with poison. There's a few more exotic infusions like Mundane, but don't worry about that.

Also, because there are no physical infusions, you're correct in that people tend to simply leave their weapons as-is, which imho is also the superiour system - why be forced to use a stone to make a weapon "actually good" for your build when it could be that already? It's quite rare that you want to turn a strength weapon into a dex weapon - hell, that's practically impossible in 99% of cases, so the theoretical flexibility of such a system is just not there.

As for bosses: I haven't checked super recently, but usually DS2 is still somewhat active because it's actually fun to replay. It has a bunch of bosses but admittedly a lot of them are nothing special, so I'd say you might just be fine in beating them on your own. Definitely do level Adaptability (it does affect rolling i-frames AND Estus drinking speed), otherwise if you have beaten two Souls games already and now know how to build a character, you should be golden.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pyromancies are alright, where they excel is area effect spells. On top of the firestorm/tempest/chaos storm/outcry progression, you have dance of fire, fire snake, lingering flame, flame swathe, forbidden sun. They used to be better before the great spell nerf of 2014, but they're still fine.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wait you can triple down on damage in DS2? Inherent traits + Infusion + spell effect or resin? Incredible

What about INT/DEX? I've heard good things about the sorceries in 2, how do they distinguish themselves and does the stacking infusion work well with magic / raw weps?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only thing to absolutely avoid is a build based around miracles because they were completely gutted and never buffed back at all, so you have to know what you’re doing to make a faith-focused build as powerful as basically anything else. If you want to be a spellcaster then go for intelligence, or both intelligence + faith for hexes

There are pretty much no pitfalls for a build based around physical weapons as long as you level adaptability (everyone needs adaptability) so just do whatever if that’s what you choose

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dope, I usually end up beating souls games the first time around as melee anyway, so I'll probably just go full proto giant dad and smack poo poo around with a UGS in heavy armor.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hopped on and made a knight and played through real quick up to the fire lizard. I kinda like the slower combat + more difficult to stagger poise effects compared to ds3 right off the bat (never noticed those beforehand) and somehow was able to get these frustrating pieces of loot right by the first merchant lady, where you have to jump off a tree across the area with undead. I was never able to figure that out before, despite trying a good amount, in my other play throughs and I did it almost by accident this time. Which I think means I'm thinking an appropriately soulsy way and the game should be more fun this time around.

I also have to say I like fighting these types of hollows in Drangleic, it feels very different from Lordran and thats neat now that I'm actually paying attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Any advice on an ideal early game weapon? I've been using the Mace for strike damage on armored stuff and the Flame Sword on everything else, but in DS1 at least there's like the Drake Sword - is there an equivalent to that I should be using? I'm going to focus on STR but it looks like I'll need to get my DEX fairly high as well to use most weapons.