Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrSargent posted:

Tycho went to my High School (was a while before my time though) and is from the same little town I am from so I am definitely a fan. His style of music is unique with great production.
Yeah, I've been a fan of his for over a decade now (back when he was pigeonholed as the poor man's Boards of Canada) and seen him live like 4 or 5x. There was one time I saw him where his main synth (or maybe multiple synths) was giving him trouble so it was mostly guitar, bass and drums, which was less impressive, but every other time I've seen him he's owned. His visuals are top notch too.

I'm already digging the hell out of EchoBoy. It's super useful on the one track I've used it on so far. Now the real question is do I go this route:

I'm assuming that's the sale price? Because I looked at the prices of all of the included plugins separately and that's an insane deal :stare:

Not sure how that's even possible though, because here it says the sale price of the whole bundle is $399:

If I upgraded from a $50 plugin to the whole bundle for $150 more, I'd be paying $200 less than the sale price for the bundle.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yep, that's right. Once you buy in it's relatively cheap to upgrade to the whole bundle. I initially got in on some of their $5 deals for the "Little" series, and eventually upgraded to the whole suite for a lot less than the full price.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i got the little plate plugin for free a while back. now i get an email saying i can upgrade to the whole soundtoys 5 for 175 euro. it was a no-brainer.

that's good marketing

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Plavski posted:

i got the little plate plugin for free a while back. now i get an email saying i can upgrade to the whole soundtoys 5 for 175 euro. it was a no-brainer.

that's good marketing

I got the same email after getting the little plate plugin for free. I didn't want to spend another $150 after getting a Push2 recently, but I could not resist getting Decapitator for $49 since I don't have a go-to distortion plugin yet. Now I am getting emails saying I can upgrade for even less to the bundle haha. Soundtoys is loving great.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

This is probably immaterial to most people ITT but they're also one of very few companies that give a generous educational discount and let you upgrade from that when you're no longer a student without paying the big price difference.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MockingQuantum posted:

This is probably immaterial to most people ITT but they're also one of very few companies that give a generous educational discount and let you upgrade from that when you're no longer a student without paying the big price difference.

That's really cool. I have actually been looking into the education departments for companies like Ableton because I have this pipe dream of one day opening up a little music production academy whose focus would be to introduce kids to the world of music production. I feel like I grew up right before the time when DAWs were becoming more accessible and think I missed the boat as a kid. I was always really into computers, but started playing guitar when I was 15 and really enjoyed it. I think if I would have been introduced to making music on the computer back then, my career path might have been a lot different. I sometimes think that if I could go back, I would have pursued a degree in audio/sound engineering.

The idea to open an academy for younger people was to try and expose kids to the possibilities of a career in music and that you don't need to be a mega star to be successful and make a living doing something you enjoy. The area I live in (Sacramento) has been making some noise lately in the music scene and I feel like there is a lot of untapped potential here.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I really wish that hadn't been archived/closed :smith: I'm almost moved into my house and want to get synthing again, would have loved to have that thread.

We could start a Discord or something.

Yes please! :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I really wish that hadn't been archived/closed :smith: I'm almost moved into my house and want to get synthing again, would have loved to have that thread.

We could start a Discord or something.
Alternatively, :justpost: the ultra arcane super plugin specific stuff here as well. If someone is following this thread just for the deals, they can make a thread in coupons or whatever, if there isn't one already.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...you guys weren't kidding, that actually was the price to upgrade to the Soundtoys bundle :stare: I did it and now I have like 15+ new VSTs to play with. Jesus gently caress hahaha

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Did anyone jump on that deal Arturia has for the 3 Software Preamps? Looks like a great value and I thought those would be great additions for my vocal processing chain. Wanted to see if anyone had tried them out and if they were worth it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I did. They're great fun, although I don't do vocals.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

After talking to a friend, he mentioned the one he liked most was the Neve, but he has the Scheps 73 and it’s basically the same thing. I also have the Scheps 73 so I’ll probably pass on it for now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Did anyone jump on that deal Arturia has for the 3 Software Preamps? Looks like a great value and I thought those would be great additions for my vocal processing chain. Wanted to see if anyone had tried them out and if they were worth it.

I thought about it but then I remembered ~*~my UAD plugz~*~ and was like "lol naw". If I wasn't all UADed up now I'd be all over it though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

I thought about it but then I remembered ~*~my UAD plugz~*~ and was like "lol naw". If I wasn't all UADed up now I'd be all over it though.

One of the next upgrades I am looking at is going from my Scarlett 18i8 to a UAD Arrow (Or Apollo Twin if I can save enough) + some sort of rack-mount device with a lot of Ins/Outs for all of my instruments. Really want access to those delicious UAD Mixing/Mastering plugins.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MrSargent posted:

One of the next upgrades I am looking at is going from my Scarlett 18i8 to a UAD Arrow (Or Apollo Twin if I can save enough) + some sort of rack-mount device with a lot of Ins/Outs for all of my instruments. Really want access to those delicious UAD Mixing/Mastering plugins.

Get a Sweetwater card and that sweet, sweet 0% financing for 3 years or whatever. Financial responsibility? Bah! More stuff!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Get a Sweetwater card and that sweet, sweet 0% financing for 3 years or whatever. Financial responsibility? Bah! More stuff!

You say this as if I haven't paid off Ableton Live and am currently paying off a Push2 using a 0% financing deal through Guitar Center. After I pay off the Push2, that would be a good route to go.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://blog.bandlab.com/cakewalk-by-bandlab-press-release

so venture capital is subsidizing DAWs for the public now

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Be aware that it is definitely a gateway to spending way more than you ever anticipated on plugins. I initially got mine for the more utilitarian plugins like that (preamps, compressors, limiters), but once I started playing with some of the more "effect" plugins, my wallet started hemorrhaging uncontrollably. And of course when you get some of the really nice new ones you realize that the little Apollo Duo doesn't have enough power to run more than a few instances of them, so of course you have to get a Satellite...

e: If you do go that route, though, keep in mind that their Christmas sales on plugins offer HUGE discounts. Like 70-80% off in some cases.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 5, 2018

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oldstench posted:

lol it was 4 years for a bunch of poo poo this past month. Really had to stop myself from pulling the trigger on a bunch of pedals that would have been like $4/month each.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...you guys weren't kidding, that actually was the price to upgrade to the Soundtoys bundle :stare: I did it and now I have like 15+ new VSTs to play with. Jesus gently caress hahaha

Yeah, I just upgraded from Little Plate two days ago after playing with the demo. It was a no brainer because I needed a good filter plugin and Echoboy and Decapitator are fantastic.

actually, who am I kidding I didn't need any of this poo poo, but I bought it anyway.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Soundtoys has PanMan on sale right now for $29 (down from $129).

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/panman/

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've got a question about installing Omnisphere. It's an enormous install (like 64GB), but I'm assuming most of that is patches and supporting audio files. Does this have to go on my home drive, or does the installer have an option to install to another drive? My home drive is a rather small SSD and certainly doesn't have that kind of space on it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mister Speaker posted:

I've got a question about installing Omnisphere. It's an enormous install (like 64GB), but I'm assuming most of that is patches and supporting audio files. Does this have to go on my home drive, or does the installer have an option to install to another drive? My home drive is a rather small SSD and certainly doesn't have that kind of space on it.

Yeah, you can choose a different location for the STEAM folder when you install it. Otherwise you can move the STEAM folder after installation and point the app proper to the library.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Like half my C:\ partition is symbolic links because of software that flat-out refuses to install anywhere else. Halion will only give you the option to select a different path for libraries after downloading the entire 30GB to the system drive. Thankfully the installer allows you to move folders around when it hangs up on 0 bytes free and then resumes just fine

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oldstench posted:

Yeah, you can choose a different location for the STEAM folder when you install it. Otherwise you can move the STEAM folder after installation and point the app proper to the library.

Yep, saw it in the installer. Thanks! What a tank Omnisphere is.

Since I lust after more sound libraries, I'm working on my Kontakt instrument collection now. Apologies if there's a more appropriate thread for this, but - is there a place in Kontakt to save 'favourite' NKI files? Only some of my instruments show up in the Library browser - I'm guessing the ones that don't were made for earlier versions of the sampler, so I have to dig around my filesystem for them. Is there a 'quick' or 'favourites' tab I can drag these NKI files, or a workaround in Finder to make it easier to locate them?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Just drag any folders/NKIs you want from the Files tab into the Quickload list - you can also rearrange and rename anything on there independently from its folder structure. Then just double click on the empty space in a new Kontakt instance to make an empty instrument and access the list from there. There's also a list for multis.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Meant to ask this here, turns out I posted in the other synth thread instead:

Is there any big new hotness on the softsynth front? I've got some money saved up for a new VST synth for work stuff, and I'm 80% likely to get Serum since it makes a lot of sense for the work I do, but I haven't been paying attention to what's been released in the last year or so.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there any big new hotness on the softsynth front? I've got some money saved up for a new VST synth for work stuff, and I'm 80% likely to get Serum since it makes a lot of sense for the work I do, but I haven't been paying attention to what's been released in the last year or so.

Serum still feels like the go-to softsynth because of just how much you get for the price. What type of work do you do? Depending on what kind of sounds you are going for, something like Omnisphere might be better suited, but it’s much more pricey. Another option to check out is the Arturia V collection which frequently goes on sale, it’s a bundle of software versions of classic synths and gives you a HUGE range of options. Only issue is that it might be TOO many options to start out.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Serum still feels like the go-to softsynth because of just how much you get for the price. What type of work do you do? Depending on what kind of sounds you are going for, something like Omnisphere might be better suited, but it’s much more pricey. Another option to check out is the Arturia V collection which frequently goes on sale, it’s a bundle of software versions of classic synths and gives you a HUGE range of options. Only issue is that it might be TOO many options to start out.

I mostly do sound design for games and theater, which softly rules out Omnisphere for a few reasons. I do actually have Arturia V Collection and love it, and it does come in handy when I need vintage sounds, but honestly most of my synth use is cranking out a bunch of stingers, hits, pads, atmospheric elements, licks/runs/arpeggios, or little hard-to-categorize sounds that will end up as part of a layer along with (usually) pre-recorded SFX. Massive has been my main go-to for synth stuff for years and years now and it's just starting to feel a little stagnant for me.

So yeah, I know based on the description above the answer is probably "why don't you own Serum already" which is why it's top of the list, I'm just always curious about what else is out there and maybe a little under-the-radar.

The other one that's top of the list right now is Synplant because it's so goddamned weird, but it's a distant second to Serum due to it having less general utility.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.vengeance-sound.com/plugins.php?sub=Vengeance%20Producer%20Suite%20Avenger

But yeah no obvious standouts. Serum is just really versatile and I love how it combines Massive and Absynth - the latter’s approach to harmonics-based waveform design.

The onboard reverb could be better though, it feels kinda textbook right now.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I bit the bullet and picked up the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 mk2 and Maschine mk3 yesterday. I had finally found myself enjoying the Komplete Kontrol browser lately (once you get all the goddam plugin and library locations sorted out it is pretty awesome to be able to browse patches across dozens of instruments as if it were just one giant megasynth). The keyboard is heavier than I expected and solidly built. I do really like the feel of the keybed, although the keys are a bit noisier than my Roland A49. They are a little thumpy and you can hear some spring action in some of them. But still they feel nice, and the noisiness doesn't affect production/recording. I'm gonna try to get the DAW integration going in Cubase tonight. (I think it's mainly just transport control and track selection in Cubase, whereas in Live and the Apple DAWs there is actual mixer integration... like you can see and adjust track levels on the keyboard itself.)

I already had a Maschine mk1 (which I used primarily as a sample library with all the expansion packs), but I wanted the mk3 for its built-in audio interface. The weather here is already warm enough that when I turn on my full music rig my room becomes an oven within about 20 minutes. I'm gonna try living with using the Maschine as my interface for the composition and the most basic mixing stages and only power up the rest of the rig/monitors when I'm recording vocals and doing the final mix.

The S49 has built-in integration with Maschine which I don't fully understand yet (both Maschine and Komplete Kontrol have the same plugin/preset management features). If I'm running Maschine, the keyboard automatically lights up and is aware of the current selected group in Maschine, but I don't really understand if/how there's any benefit to this setup other than to have an actual keyboard for when you're recording melodic parts into a Maschine project.

Anyway, this is iteration 30,000 of my music production workflow, and a willful attempt to streamline things by making patch selection as quick and effortless as possible so I have more time to focus on song structure and tracking. As powerful and versatile as NI Komplete is as a bundle, I found myself not using a lot of it just because it was so many different instruments and libraries and workflows to juggle. But now I don't even care which instrument I'm using; I just pick what sounds best and have pre-mapped physical controls to tweak sounds on the fly.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MockingQuantum posted:

This might sound stupid but have you considered Kontakt and some libraries if you're doing sound design? Heavyocity stuff especially. NI's own Rise and Hit is pretty versatile too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

This might sound stupid but have you considered Kontakt and some libraries if you're doing sound design? Heavyocity stuff especially. NI's own Rise and Hit is pretty versatile too.

Not stupid at all--I use Evolve, Mutations, and Damage all the time. They're fantastic and im the biggest Heavyocity fanboy.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

MrSargent posted:

I love Serum so hard. It seems like these days I'm always using either that or Diva.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

2DCAT posted:

I love Serum so hard. It seems like these days I'm always using either that or Diva.

Yah I feel yah. I have Massive and Sylenth, but can't remember the last time I opened either of them. I use Serum for almost everything, even though more recently I have been exploring some of the new Wavetable presets/sounds in Ableton 10.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ooof, I gotta really get my stuff set up again; I really, really miss not just working on a project, but also using Serum :allears:

I love that plugin so much.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

MockingQuantum posted:

Not stupid at all--I use Evolve, Mutations, and Damage all the time. They're fantastic and im the biggest Heavyocity fanboy.

Novo looks really cool but alas, so pricey.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/cinematic/thrill/

Thrill seems wonderful too.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

The S49 has built-in integration with Maschine which I don't fully understand yet (both Maschine and Komplete Kontrol have the same plugin/preset management features). If I'm running Maschine, the keyboard automatically lights up and is aware of the current selected group in Maschine, but I don't really understand if/how there's any benefit to this setup other than to have an actual keyboard for when you're recording melodic parts into a Maschine project.

The advantage over other MIDI-keyboards is that you can use the transport buttons, browse libraries, manage patterns, use the chord and arp-modes and so on straight from the keyboard itself. Mk1 is already a pretty big improvement, and Mk2 can access a lot more of the Maschine-software stuff than Mk1.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

...and lighting up keyswitches is a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

jvilmi posted:

The advantage over other MIDI-keyboards is that you can use the transport buttons, browse libraries, manage patterns, use the chord and arp-modes and so on straight from the keyboard itself. Mk1 is already a pretty big improvement, and Mk2 can access a lot more of the Maschine-software stuff than Mk1.

Ruffian Price posted:

...and lighting up keyswitches is a godsend.

Got it. I finally tried the integration with Cubase 9, by the way, and it's actually fully integrated (mixer tracks on the keyboard and everything). It's great! But then I installed Cubase 9.5 and it broke everything! No KK integration at all. Even worse, when I went back to Cubase 9 all the KK stuff was now broken there as well. I did a re-install of Komplete Kontrol, and that appears to have fixed Cubase 9, but I'm afraid to mess with Cubase 9.5 again... after checking the NI and Steinberg forums, this appears to be a common problem.

In any case, I'm really enjoying the keyboard- it's the most I've ever used hardware controls vs. keyboard/mouse to control my DAW, and I've been through many different types of DAW control solutions over the years. It will probably encourage me to get more use out of Maschine, too.