Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

dissatisfaction.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh btw i remember I asked this thread what I would eat when i travel to Japan. It's a consensus that I must eat Fugu or Tessa (Fugu Sashimi). I went to Kuromon Market and ate the funny fat spiky inflatable thing that may kill me haha

Conclusion: I think the tessa they sold in this kind of packaging remove most of the poison. It's very chewy (and kinda tough, like biting into cartilage) and it took a while for the sting of the poison to hit and numb the tongue. This is unlikely the optimal way of trying Fugu especially since there are now many restaurants that serve fugu meals, which is several courses of fugu soup, tessa, and other kinds of preparation where you'll definitely get hit by the poison and maybe actually loving die.

Conclusion: Deep fried fugu is actually really delicious! Very meaty and fun to eat if it weren't for the high price point. I don't hate it but again, I would vastly have preferred doing a full fugu meal if it weren't for my travelmates being people who actually fear death. Next time I should bring suicidal people or millennials for travelling.

Japan is a place full of really good food and everyone should go. If you have the chance to and refuse to go maybe you should reevalute your life a little and consider your priorities.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Those're some straight from the microwave sadsack veggies.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my dad ate fugu every weekend for like two years doing client business, because the fugu shop was close by and convenient to work. this was in korea

there's about one incident of real fugu poisoning in a restaurant every ten years in korea and japan combined. amortized over the business fugu shops do, this is about as risky as getting hit by lightning. compare to 1958 when hundreds were poisoned every year, so the regulations work well

dad got in so good with the restaurant that they would actually come around with infinitesimal bits of the liver, like in the incident with the japanese actor (but with a strict limit of one piece per person, lol) and he would sorta ritually refuse it even when he was good and shitfaced like in all korean client business meetings

the meat is pretty inferior, tbh

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The NWS thread is thataway

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is loss?!?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Brawnfire posted:

This is loss?!?

No just Gr-oss.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nothin wrong with creampie chicken.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've never had bacon-wrapped chicken that comes out as good as the concept sounds.

It's never bad, just...disappointing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Brawnfire posted:

This is loss?!?

Looks like they're going for the yonic on that.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Now that I'm looking for it I can't find it, but there's this dieting company that advertises on facebook and their pictures are always insane poo poo like bread covered in kiwi, bread covered in celery, bread covered in cilantro and peppers, bread covered in cucumber, etc. "wheat bread covered in something green" theme. I get that they're trying to make it a certain visual aesthetic but what in the gently caress would anyone be enticed to join your dieting food service if that's the kind of poo poo in the meal plans?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Haifisch posted:

I've never had bacon-wrapped chicken that comes out as good as the concept sounds.

It's never bad, just...disappointing.

Yeah 90% of the time it's just limp and adds very little flavor. Same with bacon wrapped everything. It's a gimmick that restaurants use to add 3-4 dollars to the price of something that is otherwise mediocre.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Bacon wrapped is fine on small and/or skinny things. Uncrispy bacon is unforgivable.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Bacon is pork belly
Pork belly is mostly fat

Fat is a connective tissue
Therefore, bacon is a slow cooking cut that you can slice thin and pretend is fast cooking. But at fundament it's slow cooking

Bacon wrapped brisket is cool and good. (Can't do a whole brisket) Tenderloin or chicken breast, no. Par cook the bacon in that case

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Bacon wrapped is fine on small and/or skinny things. Uncrispy bacon is unforgivable.

Fatty bacon beats crispy any day :colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rolling out bacon real thin before wrapping things helps

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I mean, just use panchetta, it's going to be better anyway

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I actually made chicken parmigiana like this on a lark once but smoked it.

It was loving sensational

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

When you say that do you mean American style made from belly, or English style with the loin? Because imvho I think crisped up belly is the poo poo, but crisped up loin is a dry disappointment

angerbeet posted:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
large contingents of human beings don't even know back bacon exists
the converse (remaining within the logical superset of peeps who know bacon exist in the first place) is not true for streaky

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Give me your fatty soft bacon.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Fatty bacon beats crispy any day :colbert:

Give me your too crispy bacon.

All bacon is welcome in my mouth. Except turkey bacon.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
turkey bacon: disgusting abomination

duck bacon: delicious

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

duck bacon: delicious

Not so loud, the millenials will hear and there goes the reasonable pricing.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Whale bacon: not so great. And then there's the aftertaste of ecological remorse.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

There's a YouTube video of a historical reenactor guy who goes through the billion ways dead past people had to preserve eggs

Some of them would apparently last a few months

This was a few pages ago but uh, eggs on their own will last a few months and be perfectly edible if kept fridged (and in-shell, obviously).

Like I don't recommend it for many cooking purposes (the white starts to dry out) but it's not gonna make you ill or anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

angerbeet posted:

I'm already closing my eyes when I pay for bacon, pancetta would kill me

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

:derp:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This has got to be in the vein of "dry out your wet iPhone in the microwave"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I saw the statistic recently that 90% of commercially produced chicken is infected with Campylobacter

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I went to a shanghai hot pot place the other day, where you have a bowl of soup on a hot plate that keeps it simmering and you throw raw food in to cook to your preference.

I pulled out the shrimp bit into the head to suck out the bits inside.

I had not cooked it long enough. Not by a long shot.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

almost bought this at the asian grocery

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

coward!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Development posted:

This was almost a good story

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Development posted:

Ingredients posted:

Soy Sauce Mash, Wheat Gluten, Salad Oil, Soy Bean Curd, Green Bean Water, Sugar, Mushroom, Natural Spices.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm going to assume Green Bean Water is like soy milk where they just puree the bean and then squeeze out the liquid, but since it's green beans it ends up green and they don't want to call it milk.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Is it like pea milk

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bacon should droop

If you hold one end of a slice of bacon and it stands out stiff as a board, it's overcooked.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

wait what

quote:

From the first bite I understood why the Missus enjoyed this. The flavor was 5 spice and bean paste heavy, and most of all, S-A-L-T-Y. The mystery meat consisted of five spice tofu and "Kaufu", which is wheat gluten. The flavor is very Chinese, and you'd never mistake his for your good old bottle of Ragu. A little does go a long way.......

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2008/08/by-request-kiml.html

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Diarrhea and constipation? :vince:

edit: Is there a :randvince: yet?

From some pages back, but jumping ahead to say if someone makes this, and it's good, I'll buy it - immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

From some pages back, but jumping ahead to say if someone makes this, and it's good, I'll buy it - immediately.

:ohdear: