Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Their run differential is much better because the starting pitching had been amazing but they've been very feast or famine offensively

They've scored 2 or fewer runs ten times in just thirty games and 8 or more eight times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Their run differential is much better because the starting pitching had been amazing but they've been very feast or famine offensively

They've scored 2 or fewer runs ten times in just thirty games and 8 or more eight times

they're still ahead of last year in runs scored, though--that's the whole point. Yes, the pitching is better but also we aren't hurting for runs compared to this point last year, either.

Run differential is just a better predictor of team success/strength

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

After Tyler Bauer's findings I don't think I can support this team anymore. They're a dirty bunch of cheaters, McCullers, Morton, Altuve, Verlander, Correa, all of them.

I can only hope the rest of you see the truth in his statements and agree with me. We need to return the World Series rings ASAP.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Five relief pitchers and we can't manage a single run?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Must be nice to throw 8 scoreless with 14 strikeouts and get a no decision

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Must be nice to throw 8 scoreless with 14 strikeouts and get a no decision

He deserved better. I hate that poo poo with a passion.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Astros are 20-11 and have absolutely nothing to worry about. The starting pitching is dominant 75% of the time (the 25% are Dallas Keuchel starts and the occasional McCullers blow-up) and the offense will sort itself out. Either Derek Fisher or Jake Marisnick will remember how to hit or Kyle Tucker will be called up in June and those two will be sweating who's getting the plane ticket to Fresno. And there's no way they ignore the bullpen at the deadline again this year.

Also, we all know that Ken Giles will blow 5 or so games every year. Anyone who's watched the team the last couple of years would've known to turn the tv off when they saw a tie game with Giles warming up and Judge/Gregorius/Stanton/Sanchez coming up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tucker is off to a slowish (for him) start in AAA so they'll use this as an excuse to play the service time game with him despite LF being a black hole right now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Leaving this thread open was just asking for trouble

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The fact that the Astros are only 6 games over .500 with to this point in the season maybe the best pitching rotation in history is inexcusable

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm still not that worried - if we ever cross .500 or we aren't at least 10 games over .500 by the All Star game then I'll start to get nervous.

Also, Verlander was the greatest trade in Astros history.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

For some reason they've been slow starters. May and June should get things on track. I doubt they run away with the division like they did last year though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Verlander, Cole and Morton are all going to regress. The team has basically wasted a historic stretch of pitching and if the offense doesn't pick up things are going to get ugly. Literally every hitter in the lineup is underperforming and yes there'll be upward regression in that case. Hopefully it'll be enough

Marisnick is garbage though and Marwin is showing he was a one year wonder

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Marisnick, Fisher, Gattis (:sigh:), and Marwin are the worst offenders right now IMO

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kirios posted:

I'm still not that worried - if we ever cross .500 or we aren't at least 10 games over .500 by the All Star game then I'll start to get nervous.

Also, Verlander was the greatest trade in Astros history.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Bagwell is the best trade sorry

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maybe, over a long period of time, but we don't win a World Series without Verlander, and from all accounts he's had a massive influence on the rotation and is a huge reason why they are as good as they are.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I'm thinking about over time total value

But I grant that the ring hugely increases Verlander's value. I was being a bit punchy last night; I'd still pick Bagwell but it's close.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We got Bagwell for a middle reliever in his walk year, hard to beat that value

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
yeah but the world series

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I wanted to make a post saying smugly "yeah you forgot Randy Johnson's half-season" but if you look it up Verlander is actually topping that in almost every possible way (except K/9 because Randy Johnson)

Bagwell's obviously the best trade we've ever done, but that's because he re-signed and stayed with us forever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

One. loving. Hit.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
The upside is that Springer appears to just have a bruise and will be day-to-day

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Shades of '05 where Clemens had to be perfect or the Astros lose.

What an odd season - we score 10 runs or 0 with nothing in between. Do we still lead MLB in run differential?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah. By a significant amount

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

What matters is we are looking up at the Angels right now.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
True. Gonna be a season-long fight to stay ahead of them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Verlander has a 1.21 ERA and the team is somehow only 5-4 in his starts. 5-3 in Morton starts with his 2.03 ERA. At least they're not wasting Cole's starts, they're 7-1 in them

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'm going to stick to my guns that the current underperforming of our Pythagorean wins won't continue but I am concerned about the bats for sure

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With Keuchel dealing once again Lance McCullers has become our #5.

He has a 3.72 ERA, which is largely inflated because of one awful outing. Lets take a step back and appreciate just how historically great the rotation has been so far.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the astros rotation era is 2.24.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

the astros rotation era is 2.24.

Lance McCullers is by far the worst with a 3.72 ERA. Second worst, Keuchel with 3.10 after today's 7 shutout innings.

lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Marisnick swapped for Tony Kemp, who’s been doing pretty well in AAA.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Marisnick swapped for Tony Kemp, who’s been doing pretty well in AAA.

Was thinking AJ Davis but Kemp is good too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Who is AJ Davis

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
AJ Reed and JD Davis are two computer-generated stock players, and you can't convince me otherwise. I constantly mix them up.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Who is AJ Davis

Woops! Meant JD Davis

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Update: Verlander owns a lot

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Verlander threw his 100th inning as an Astro last night and has a 1.05 ERA for it all

that's disgusting

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Imagine if I went back to 2015 and told you that in 3 years the Astros would have the majors' best rotation and Keuchel would arguably be the worst part of it

e: arguably isn't even fair to McCullers after today's wet fart

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 19, 2018

• Locked thread