Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I always assumed that buildings covering a 20th of the habitable area of a planet or so, were not single giant buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

shas posted:

LET ME DESIGN MY OWN MISSILES

Down this road lies madness.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Death to tiles

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I always assumed that buildings covering a 20th of the habitable area of a planet or so, were not single giant buildings.

Yeah if a given pop is meant to be millions or billions of people, then a single "building" actually represents a gargantuan, sprawling complex.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

uPen posted:

This is exactly what shas wants.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

uPen posted:

don't make a size 2 missile, it's too big to be an AMM but too small to really have a warhead large enough to do decent damage as an ASM

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah if a given pop is meant to be millions or billions of people, then a single "building" actually represents a gargantuan, sprawling complex.
To satisfy the urges of tile-lovers, a City Designer will be introduced, allowing the player to design proper hive cities down to the street level.

Seriously though, this announcement basically rekindled my interest in the game. Guessing I'm about 17 DLC's behind though, so lots of new stuff to learn if the replacement system to tiles makes me go back to the game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Well I sure as hell wasn't expecting Distant Stars so soon :staredog:

e; Also Demiurge4 is gonna be happy as gently caress about this direction because it's basically a direct lift of what they suggested to do instead of tiles :v:

Lol yeah it's pretty good. It's not a direct lift since there's no trace of different biomes (yet) but I like the framework he's shown so far and I can't wait to see the end product.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Holy gently caress yes. Stellaris with a Victoria-esque POP system sounds incredible.

The two biggest fundamental design flaws in this game were asymmetric FTL and the planet tile mechanic, and both of them will have been completely reworked.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Good loving lord, the whining about this on the subreddit is insufferable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

VirtualStranger posted:

People always gonna bitch about change but I think this is pretty good looking. I'm not sure how I feel about the growing/declining demographics thing but that's just a gut thing and I don't actually know what it does yet.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The original designer of Stellaris passes Wiz in the hall at the office.

"Mr. Anward," he mutters, with a barely perceptible nod of his head.

He retreats to his office to mournfuly boot 1.0. "No one ever appreciates an artist in his time..."

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Doesn't go too far enough.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

VirtualStranger posted:

Holy gently caress yes. Stellaris with a Victoria-esque POP system sounds incredible.

The two biggest fundamental design flaws in this game were asymmetric FTL and the planet tile mechanic, and both of them will have been completely reworked.

Turns out Stellaris was the real Vicky III all along, so it did get announced

Also completely agreed, hail Wiz, death to tiles

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I hope they don't get put off radical changes, but at this point the temporary negative review spike to any change, no matter what it is, should be expected.

Edit: vvvWay, way down the line.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 19, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait, are we losing tiles on Tuesday, or is that a 'way later down the line' feature?

Cliffhanger
Jun 22, 2010
The coming assassination of tiles by the coward Martin Anward.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Captain Monkey posted:

Wait, are we losing tiles on Tuesday, or is that a 'way later down the line' feature?

I’d be very surprised if we get this before next year.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Captain Monkey posted:

Way down the line. Assuming they make it work. It's "very early prototype".

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

I hope they don't get put off radical changes, but at this point the temporary negative review spike to any change, no matter what it is, should be expected.

Edit: vvvWay, way down the line.

From listening to the paradox podcast, it sounds like they are fully aware of this as a company, in fact it’s the topic of the latest episode.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Monkey posted:

It'd be truly amazing if one day they did release a change on the scale of 2.0 or Abolition of Tiles and we had three days notice.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I won't miss tiles. Once you got past 3-4 planets they just became a hassle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Mining droids on energy plants off the shoulder of Orion. I watched science bots labour in the dark of the Auto-Curating Vault. All those moments will be lost in time, like tiles in rain. Time to die.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

VirtualStranger posted:

Really? I didn't mind tiles but I have a hard time building up any kind of emotional attachment to them as a Good Mechanic. What are they saying was so good about 'em?

Cliffhanger
Jun 22, 2010

Tomn posted:

Really? I didn't mind tiles but I have a hard time building up any kind of emotional attachment to them as a Good Mechanic. What are they saying was so good about 'em?

I think it has to do with the aesthetics. The most upvoted comments supporting tiles are: "The tiles are annoying in their way but they also give a sense of place and geography to the planets. The unique resource distribution and shape makes the planets memorable and a PLACE."
". The tiles make each planet feel like an actual thing I need to manage and think about, cost and trade off and fiddling with it too be the most efficient and see the tangable progress."
" I like the tile system, makes every planet feel a little more real."
Personally I don't think babbies first tetris and match a tile make for an engaging planet development system.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Cliffhanger posted:

"The tiles are annoying in their way but they also give a sense of place and geography to the planets. The unique resource distribution and shape makes the planets memorable and a PLACE."
" I like the tile system, makes every planet feel a little more real."

These are so incredibly wrong it's hilarious. The tile system makes every planet feel like a bland, empty container that you "fill up" with pops and then forget about.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

give each pop needs, professions, and complicated political desires depending on their station

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

give each pop needs, professions, and complicated political desires depending on their station

I think that would be weird with Stellaris' level of abstraction. Hundreds of millions of people, all with the exact same needs, professions and political desires? Imagine if every single citizen of the USA were a Republican white male lawyer with the need to be a disphit on the internet. Total extermination of the US in less then a year.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Shugojin posted:

People always gonna bitch about change but I think this is pretty good looking. I'm not sure how I feel about the growing/declining demographics thing but that's just a gut thing and I don't actually know what it does yet.

I'm all for the pop management/demographics change. Trying to manage multiple species on a planet is a major pain in the rear end in the current system. I'd much rather have a more abstracted model that let individual populations grow to some kind of equilibrium, and something like the faction influence system where you can encourage or discourage particular pops from growing/migrating while still keeping all the current purge/resettle/etc options.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gadzuko posted:

I'm all for the pop management/demographics change. Trying to manage multiple species on a planet is a major pain in the rear end in the current system. I'd much rather have a more abstracted model that let individual populations grow to some kind of equilibrium, and something like the faction influence system where you can encourage or discourage particular pops from growing/migrating while still keeping all the current purge/resettle/etc options.

Very high happiness slows down growth to simulate declining birth rates in first world nations, over time a utopian empire will see the original founder population wither away to a remnant that benevolently guides a society that consists mostly of immigrants and recent conquests liberated species who're still getting used to living in utopia.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

VirtualStranger posted:

These are so incredibly wrong it's hilarious. The tile system makes every planet feel like a bland, empty container that you "fill up" with pops and then forget about.

They might have a leg to stand on if tiles were different from one another, representing different biomes and such. But they aren't.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

I kind of maybe get where these people are coming from a bit. I like maps. Just the feel of understanding a location by its shape- there's something satisfying about that.

Tiles... kind of maybe if you squint are somewhat reminiscent of maps. Like, you could imagine you landed in the southern hemisphere and early on started a new settlement in the far north when you first pop grows and you put it on another tile. There's a geographical vibe there that can be subconsciously pleasing. It can give the feeling of a world being settled and developed.

But give it any sort of thought at all and all that disappears and it's just filling a crate with blocks.

I'd love it if there were like little procedurally generated continents, and you could see population density increasing over time. That'd be an incredibly fun bit of aesthetic flavor. But that's not what we have and it's not what we're losing.

Gameplay wise getting rid of tiles is such a good idea, but I do understand why a planet without a map feels less satisfying than a planet with even a vague representation of people living in actual places.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Splicer posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Mining droids on energy plants off the shoulder of Orion. I watched science bots labour in the dark of the Auto-Curating Vault. All those moments will be lost in time, like tiles in rain. Time to die.

Perfect.

If they let you build buildings like you can build robots it'd be much easier to deal with

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

"Chancellor, our engineering department has finished research and development on a new line of autonomous robots! These new machines are projected to increase our nation's industrial output by 20% compared to sapient organic workers!"
"Excellent work. Tell them they may start mass production immediately, and begin fully automating our mining infrastructure."
"Uhh, Chancellor, I'm afraid we cant do that. Our planets are out of empty tiles. We'll have to slaughter or forcibly displace all of the organic workers that are occupying those industrial buildings first."

The tile system is loving dumb.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cliffhanger posted:

The coming assassination of tiles by the coward Martin Anward.

The Tilemancipation Proclamation

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

McSpanky posted:

The Tilemancipation Proclamation

I don't list to space hip hop

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tiles are for kitchens and bathrooms

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't possibly play with tiles knowing a glorious tileless future is coming

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tomn posted:

Very high happiness slows down growth to simulate declining birth rates in first world nations, over time a utopian empire will see the original founder population wither away to a remnant that benevolently guides a society that consists mostly of immigrants and recent conquests liberated species who're still getting used to living in utopia.

That would be cool. Lowered birth rate would be an interesting downside for utopian living. Also chemical bliss, which is basically useless right now. I don't even know what scenario chemical bliss is supposed to be for. It would be a more interesting choice if it was "no growth, but happy" versus the current "useless sack of meat, but happy" setup.

Eiba posted:

I'd love it if there were like little procedurally generated continents, and you could see population density increasing over time. That'd be an incredibly fun bit of aesthetic flavor. But that's not what we have and it's not what we're losing.
This would also be extremely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gadzuko posted:

This would also be extremely cool.

Yeah, I hope the final product is considerably more refined and visually engaging than it is now. I can't help but feel that the new screen just makes a planet look like a glorified filing cabinet which is really not that interesting. The system shown in the mockup looks like basically every space 4X ever made and while it's quick to manage it's going to make every planet literally blur into the next and make them even less distinguishable than they already are.

But, I'm on vacation at the moment and will have to wait until Monday before I'm able to watch any of the events without encuring several thousand dollars in data overage charges. I'll just have to wait until then to get mad.