Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

Thank you for the good advice. Continuing to research things has set me down new paths. One more question: how much do I need to worry about the "forbidden knowledge" research? The negative effects that they supposedly cause sound quite annoying.

That opens up void stuff (eldritch tab), so you will want to head that way, but saying that, you can eat a stack of zombie brains for max warp (i think)

Infernal furnace is one of the best forbidden constructs in the game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Don't eat a stack of zombie brains. You do NOT want max warp, bad things happen to you at high warp levels.

Also:
https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-98153
That problem I was having a long time ago with the nether portal setting me on fire is a vanilla bug. So dumb.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Devor posted:

Out of those, I would check that BWM Hardcore Hunger is really off

http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Hardcore_Hunger

The Better Than Wolves hunger system doesn't even seem to be in Better With Mods at the moment, according to the github wiki and a thorough search of the config file. After some testing I've found the culprit - it was Tough Expansion. I didn't see the "ThirstHealthFix" config that "Makes thirst health regen respect same logic as hunger". Which apparently means immediately dropping your hunger to 8.5 meats if you have a single thirst drop missing. That's a little excessive, IMO.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Someone please tell me there's a way to move faster in Exoria. Trudging through ash in search of magic houses is tedious as gently caress.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

McFrugal posted:

Someone please tell me there's a way to move faster in Exoria. Trudging through ash in search of magic houses is tedious as gently caress.

Got access to AA Rice? You can turn that into rice slime and then into slime balls which you can then turn into a slime slingshot with some string, you may also want slime boots so your new method of travel doesn't end up killing you... at least not killing you via fall damage.

ffguy
Apr 14, 2007
I'm a gopher.
I wish Betweenlands would take a page out of Twilight Forest's book and have important worldgen structures spawn with a certain amount of structure and regularity. I've been wandering around for over three hours and I haven't found anything.

It's not like I even get to enjoy the scenery because I'm flying around backwards courtesy of a slime slingshot. How the christ are you supposed to navigate this hellhole normally with any speed?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

There isn't. However, exploration stops really being a thing after you find the two types of magic houses. They always have the same loot and you only really need to find one of each type.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Thank you for the good advice. Continuing to research things has set me down new paths. One more question: how much do I need to worry about the "forbidden knowledge" research? The negative effects that they supposedly cause sound quite annoying.

It ticks up a (currently for you) invisible 'Warp' counter which is sorta like a magical sanity meter, once it reaches certain points you get the hidden Eldritch tab of research and some crazy void-magic techs that are powerful, but it also has some negative effects. A lot of people really hate them, but they don't really worry me very much and can be negated. The worst ones are at really high warp (and pretty rarely): spirit things attacking you with magic, sunlight burning you if you're outdoors during the day for a while, 'infernal hunger' requiring you to munch on a few pieces of rotten flesh or starve.

As someone who tends to make a Botania+Thaumcraft Whisperweed flower and afk by it for the dual benefits of lots of research points and lots of warp whenever I play with TC4, it doesn't bother me too much.

By the way I really recommend checking out the Forbidden Magic tab down the bottom right of the Thaumonomicon for different wand options. In particular the Botania wands are very powerful if you manage to get Botania set up because you can get relatively cheap wands that will rapidly recharge as long as you've got mana on you. I recommend against the Blood Magic wands however, as they have nonsensical costs for their vis recharge mechanism for some reason.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

welp exoria has mandatory bees

:sigh:

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

welp exoria has mandatory bees

:sigh:

Doesn't it also have Gendustry though? I heard that makes bees a lot more tolerable.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

Doesn't it also have Gendustry though? I heard that makes bees a lot more tolerable.

It does, but you need to do bees way before you get into any tech stuff. Like, earlier than forestry machines -- there are alternate pathways for getting honey, making apiaries, and attracting bees.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It does, but you need to do bees way before you get into any tech stuff. Like, earlier than forestry machines -- there are alternate pathways for getting honey, making apiaries, and attracting bees.

Ah, at this point though doing bees sounds way better than having to deal with 'Immersive' stuff again. :argh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krakatoah posted:

Ah, at this point though doing bees sounds way better than having to deal with 'Immersive' stuff again. :argh:

Like, the immersive chests and crafting table? Because that poo poo is in Exoria too. :shepface:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Like, the immersive chests and crafting table? Because that poo poo is in Exoria too. :shepface:

That immersive crafting table is the least immersive thing ever, yay for having to stand on top of it to place correctly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

why have people got any interest in bees goddamn

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

LegionAreI posted:

That immersive crafting table is the least immersive thing ever, yay for having to stand on top of it to place correctly.

This one is different than the one in Sevtech. It has JEI support! But it's still a pain in the rear end. Fortunately you graduate from it pretty fast.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
my one complaint with the primitive log crafting table thing in early sevtech is the incredibly loud noise it makes when it breaks which scared the poo poo out of me every time it happened

then i graduated from that to normal crafting tables and thought i was free of it and it turns out the stone anvil you use to make plates manually does the same thing :shepicide:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Krakatoah posted:

Got access to AA Rice? You can turn that into rice slime and then into slime balls which you can then turn into a slime slingshot with some string, you may also want slime boots so your new method of travel doesn't end up killing you... at least not killing you via fall damage.

You need a (tin) bucket to make slime balls from rice. That's a bit further along from where I'm at.

Edit: PSA: Make a Bane of Cobble as soon as you can, it lets you harvest cobble directly from a cobblegen (and refreshes it instantly) instead of having to craft it from rocks and clay/terra. It still breaks placed cobble into rocks though. Useful if you want gravel I suppose.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 19, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

LegionAreI posted:

I just got my 64 cobblestone and 8 obsidian flakes.

Made my hardened stone to make the furnace.

Stood next to the crafting table and placed my first block above the table.

You need obsidian grade tools to mine it.

I have flint.

Yep, lets just open to lan with cheats on, smash that block and pull another one from creative quickly.

But that said, im liking exoria, im taking it stupidly slow and making my base nice and green. I am really excited for when i can make a door so i dont have to hole up my base with with 2 dirt in order to get my drying racks and furnace to, you know, work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

But that said, im liking exoria, im taking it stupidly slow and making my base nice and green. I am really excited for when i can make a door so i dont have to hole up my base with with 2 dirt in order to get my drying racks and furnace to, you know, work.
You can make doors with the normal recipe right from the get-go.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

I have flint.

Yep, lets just open to lan with cheats on, smash that block and pull another one from creative quickly.

protip: put your crafting table in the floor and stand on its edge to craft things. Easier to target the squares and you can't place blocks since you're in the way.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

I have flint.

The starter crafting table has JEI support. Click on the question mark on the bottom right. You can use this to populate the table without having to click the little squares.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I'm playing GT:New Horizons again. This time I'm going to get to the moon. I'll let you know in three months. That's actually a pretty ambitious estimate.

There must be something wrong with me because it has always been my favorite modpack. The grind is pretty brutal in places but the progression is awesome and I like the semi-realistic mineralogy.

It even has bees, with Gendustry locked until you get to Mars or maybe later! :haw:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Immersive Engineering still feels alright, as the tedious part of placing blocks in specific places is still a very different tedium from anything else

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I really wish that the projector from Immersive Petroleum was integrated into the base mod. The IE guy isn't above doing that -- he implemented the redstone wires from Immersive Integration into the base mod. There's no Immersive Petroleum in Crimson Skies, so building IE multiblocks is a little irritating.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

You can make doors with the normal recipe right from the get-go.

Yes i know, i have a door. But its not on the high priority list when even wood is scarce.

McFrugal posted:

protip: put your crafting table in the floor and stand on its edge to craft things. Easier to target the squares and you can't place blocks since you're in the way.

I may do that ><

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The starter crafting table has JEI support. Click on the question mark on the bottom right. You can use this to populate the table without having to click the little squares.

yeah i right clicked with the block in my hand to access the JEI.

I do have a question.

What is the best basic storage? ATM im using shelves, and they suck.
Need iron nuggets for a basic chest.
Im just about to do a stack of copper nuggests, so iron is a while away.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

What is the best basic storage? ATM im using shelves, and they suck.
Need iron nuggets for a basic chest.
Im just about to do a stack of copper nuggests, so iron is a while away.

Shelves are the best until you get iron nuggets. However, you are very close to iron -- copper is the last thing you need to get the thing that can melt iron rocks down. Your next couple of quests should be for getting that set up.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So is Exoria meant to have some portal near the spawn? I never see one and besides harvesting grass from one of those magic houses I'm not sure how to get dirt to make stuff early on.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

xanthan posted:

So is Exoria meant to have some portal near the spawn? I never see one and besides harvesting grass from one of those magic houses I'm not sure how to get dirt to make stuff early on.

Yeah, a botania portal with 2 creative mana pools and a way portal stone.

I have 2 at spawn, and found a 3rd about 800 blocks away.

Edit - that will allow you to throw ash and basat in for loamy stuff and dead trees.

If you want dirt, best bet is to find the druid house and steal theirs. Then set up your water net things once you can.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

xanthan posted:

Yes, it's supposed to be right next to you when you spawn. If you don't have one, either cheat one in (it's just an alfheim portal with creative mana pools) or make a new map until you get one. It's required for progression.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I know, I'm well past that point thankfully and I learned very quickly that the shelves were the least irritating of the set, only because they don't need trapdoors and you can make two of them with 7 planks.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is the Tech Reborn Advanced Drill supposed to be a stupid heap of dogshit? I can't figure out a way to turn the 3x3 AOE off and it seems to have been implemented so poorly that attempting to use Ore Excavation with it crashes the entire loving server.

I spent my time making this loving thing as a change of pace and of course as usual I should have been making the CoFH equivalent.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I forgot to make a second axe before breaking my first one in Exoria, am I hosed unless I cheat in a new axe?

E: I'm pretty sure I am so I just cheated an extra in. That's a dumb mechanic

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 20, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Magres posted:

I forgot to make a second axe before breaking my first one in Exoria, am I hosed unless I cheat in a new axe?

nope.

you can make wooden shears to get leaves.

leaves on the chopping block to get plant fibre.

plant fiberx3 thingy, stick and flint to make all basic tools.

but get the bane tools asap. unbreakable, axe has logging so entire tree drops. pickaxe actually mines cobble and not rocks. Scyth has silk touch for leaves.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

nope.

you can make wooden shears to get leaves.

leaves on the chopping block to get plant fibre.

plant fiberx3 thingy, stick and flint to make all basic tools.

but get the bane tools asap. unbreakable, axe has logging so entire tree drops. pickaxe actually mines cobble and not rocks. Scyth has silk touch for leaves.

I tried poking the leaves with non-axe things and didn't get plant fibre

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why have people got any interest in bees goddamn
I don't doubt there are people who like bees. I know some people in this very thread do! But I can't believe enough people like them to warrant their presence in every goddamn pack. I think it's just "hey here's a long, time-consuming ladder the player will have to climb that I can artificially jam in between two normally adjacent recipes".

xanthan posted:

I'm pretty sure it very explicitly tells you when you start that you are supposed to have one, yes. And that if you don't, you should restart immediately.

Fortis posted:

Is the Tech Reborn Advanced Drill supposed to be a stupid heap of dogshit? I can't figure out a way to turn the 3x3 AOE off and it seems to have been implemented so poorly that attempting to use Ore Excavation with it crashes the entire loving server.

I spent my time making this loving thing as a change of pace and of course as usual I should have been making the CoFH equivalent.
I get this feeling a lot with some mods. I'll see some rarer or less used tech mod show up in a pack with some novel ideas and think "hey why don't I see this more?"
Then I start using it and I find out why pretty quickly.
Not to point out literally the most obvious thing about modding but generally good mods tend to rise to the top and if you haven't heard of a mod that's been around for a while it's more likely than not because it sucks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

You can use your bare fists with the chopping block to break wood logs down into planks and planks into sticks. It just has terrible efficiency.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Magres posted:

I tried poking the leaves with non-axe things and didn't get plant fibre

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can use your bare fists with the chopping block to break wood logs down into planks and planks into sticks. It just has terrible efficiency.

Leaves on the chopping block with fists will give plant fibre too, but really low efficiency.

How do i use the metel caster to make iron nuggests?

I just skipped through 2 youtube videos where people are making this thing and then they never use it...........................

it needs rf. so i guess 4 wooden engines as that is all i will have.

Then what?

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I don't doubt there are people who like bees. I know some people in this very thread do! But I can't believe enough people like them to warrant their presence in every goddamn pack. I think it's just "hey here's a long, time-consuming ladder the player will have to climb that I can artificially jam in between two normally adjacent recipes".

Which recipes are those? I'm trying to get my bees to BEE but apparently the Ash and Wet bees have some flower requirements I have no idea how to deal with... seems like I'd need to get a Fairy bee first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Krakatoah posted:

Which recipes are those? I'm trying to get my bees to BEE but apparently the Ash and Wet bees have some flower requirements I have no idea how to deal with... seems like I'd need to get a Fairy bee first?
Oh, I didn't mean Exoria specifically. I just mean lots of modpacks will change a recipe in something simple so it requires a high-cost item that's like, late-game in another mod's tech tree before you can use it. Like when Sevtech needs you to go to the Betweenlands and get a gem so you can craft a smeltery.
A lot of progression-based modpacks will do this, so you'll see like, the EnderIO SAG mill now now requires like Hell Bee Pollen or some poo poo. So instead of just progressing through EnderIO normally now you have to stop partway through and climb the entire Bee Breeding tech tree all the way to Hell Bees just so you can get that SAG mill. With bees more than with any other mod it feels like they're just thrown in as this sort of needless recipe-detour.