Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I too can't wait to destroy Carthage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh god for a minute there I thought that they were announcing a mobile game and that was the new game (I think the crowd did too since they went loving dead quiet for a second :v:)

I was in that crowd and that was absolutely my thinking at the time.

The white in the Imperator Screenshots is Terra Incognita btw, the booth for the game had some more Screenshots and it showed that at game start most of the map is in Terra Incognita.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm really excited for - and like the look of - the new Rome game. It's a day-1 buy for me, like Stellaris! :keke:

It looks fun and cool! The detailed map is neat, especially when you zoom in it kind of reminds me of Civ 5. I'm going to be eager to follow the dev diaries as they come out.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rumda posted:

Yeah but any child will be at least 6th in line there's no point having a child that distant be actually good.
You never know, a freak paparazzi incident or two and suddenly things are looking rosy for the ginger.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I hope that the Greco-Bactrian kingdom is on map as a vassal or something at the start date, even if it wouldn't quite be historically accurate, 'cause that's one weird rear end bit of history that I would love to play through.

They'll almost certainly be in as a vassal of the Seleucids. Also, the Greco-Bactrians aren't weird :colbert: They make sense with a bit of reading about Alexander's experiences in the east, especially with the bloody revolt in Bactria and Sogdiana and related difficulties with frontiers and steppe nomads requiring a sizeable garrison. Alexander (and the successors) generally settled Greek mercenaries as colonists for garrisoning trouble spots, and it is from these military colonies (generally established in existing settlements rather than on "virgin soil" like traditional Greek colonies) that the Greek style cities of Bactria are thought to have arisen.

The Greco-Bactrians still are a little mysterious though, due to a chronic lack of written sources dealing with them (for instance the detailed description of Bactria and Sogdiana by the Chinese envoy Zhang Qian takes place pretty much right after the Greco-Bactrian kingdom was destroyed). It's really hard going purely off archaeology, particularly when you can't really do archaelogical digs anymore in the area in question due to war.

It's an old book, but for anyone interested I'd reccommend The Greeks in Bactria and India by W. W. Tarn on this, the first half roughly deals with how the Seleucids governed the east (and dealt with Bactria in particular) and with the Greco-Bactrian kingdom. It's probably expensive to buy, but if you are in a city with a university that has a history department it's not unlikely that the library there will have a copy of it.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 19, 2018

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’ve enjoyed pdx con. The only thing I didn’t like was the legit furry wondering around while I was trying to drink beer and eat dinner. That and some bitch idiot retard Norwegian calling people Pollocks on the bus.

Top notch vidya game conference if you ask me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If Bactria's not on the map I'm sure they'll be a formable with events tied to them and so on. The devs confirmed on the Paradox forums that this is gonna be another major title (i.e. not just dropped quickly like MotE or Sengoku) so I think you're in store for DLC fleshing out pretty much everything and then some over the coming years.

Which makes me a bit bummed it doesn't include China, and the way the map is oriented it looks like it'd be real hard to ever patch it in the way CK2 did with India and so on. It's a bit detached from the western world in this period (although there were more links through the steppe that connected everything than people generally realize) but a grand strategy game including the warring states, with pops no less, would loving own, and this is pretty much the only way I could see us ever getting it. Honestly a pop system to model minorities seems almost more relevant to East Asia in this period than it'd actually be to the west.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 19, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If they end up expanding out the tail end of the era you could see the Han start to push into central asia a bit

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I kind of felt like I ran out of things to do at the con by late afternoon. Ended up going for a thoroughly enjoyable walk with some Gambians, but still kinda wish I had had more to do back at Nacka Strand.

Also, Johan said "Imperator" in a way that didn't sound the same as other times I've heard it said in a Latin sense, and that makes me angry.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’ve enjoyed pdx con. The only thing I didn’t like was the legit furry wondering around while I was trying to drink beer and eat dinner. That and some bitch idiot retard Norwegian calling people Pollocks on the bus.

You mean "polakk"? That's the Norwegian word for a Polish person.

Or did you mean the fish?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I dunno the guy said the only people he expects to be working in Oslo are Swedes and Pollacks.

I’m all about casual racism. But gently caress dude. At least don’t use slurs.

I also don’t know how to speed the word because iOS doesn’t correct it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I dunno the guy said the only people he expects to be working in Oslo are Swedes and Pollacks.

I’m all about casual racism. But gently caress dude. At least don’t use slurs.

I also don’t know how to speed the word because iOS doesn’t correct it.

It's not a slur in Norway. Most likely he just did not know, likewise with it being "Pole" in English.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'm glad a furry was able to walk around and enjoy themselves. Sounds like a good conference.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

DurosKlav posted:

Imperator: Rome

Was good poo poo. Twitch chat bitching about it, what else is new there, but I enjoyed the stream. Looking forward to hopefully playing the Crusader Kings board game and Imperator in the future.

I didnt get a chance to bitch at it. the mods muted me after I said one single thing lmao. Someone named hags said "hi everyone". So I said "hi hags". Nope, Thats a mute son! off to a bad start this title is cursed

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm glad a furry was able to walk around and enjoy themselves. Sounds like a good conference.

To be fair, it was only during dinner and karaoke. But sill. We should strive to be above furries.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Casually hating non-nazi furries in 2018 :eyepop:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Casually hating non-nazi furries in 2018 :eyepop:

Victoria 3 is actually a game where you play as a Fursona named Victoria

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
In to voice my disappointment with Rome before we move on to other things. I'll probably get it in 2021 when they fix most bugs and have some DLCs that add what will inevitably be cut or missing from the vanilla release.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Randarkman posted:

They'll almost certainly be in as a vassal of the Seleucids. Also, the Greco-Bactrians aren't weird :colbert: They make sense with a bit of reading about Alexander's experiences in the east, especially with the bloody revolt in Bactria and Sogdiana and related difficulties with frontiers and steppe nomads requiring a sizeable garrison. Alexander (and the successors) generally settled Greek mercenaries as colonists for garrisoning trouble spots, and it is from these military colonies (generally established in existing settlements rather than on "virgin soil" like traditional Greek colonies) that the Greek style cities of Bactria are thought to have arisen.

The Greco-Bactrians still are a little mysterious though, due to a chronic lack of written sources dealing with them (for instance the detailed description of Bactria and Sogdiana by the Chinese envoy Zhang Qian takes place pretty much right after the Greco-Bactrian kingdom was destroyed). It's really hard going purely off archaeology, particularly when you can't really do archaelogical digs anymore in the area in question due to war.

It's an old book, but for anyone interested I'd reccommend The Greeks in Bactria and India by W. W. Tarn on this, the first half roughly deals with how the Seleucids governed the east (and dealt with Bactria in particular) and with the Greco-Bactrian kingdom. It's probably expensive to buy, but if you are in a city with a university that has a history department it's not unlikely that the library there will have a copy of it.

Some years back there was an absolute massive treasure trove of Greco Bactrian coinage discovered. Possibly the most significant archeological find in history for something we know so little about. The people who found it sold them off by the literal tonnage to people melting them down.

Yeah. gently caress people.

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
I'm fairly surprised by the lukewarm reaction to Rome 2 itt (and I'd love Vicky3, don't get me wrong). It's been long overdue and it's a perfect setting. Also, there are too few games set in antiquity and most of them are bad. Ffs AssScreed Origins might be the best game set in antiquity ever, what the gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Some years back there was an absolute massive treasure trove of Greco Bactrian coinage discovered. Possibly the most significant archeological find in history for something we know so little about. The people who found it sold them off by the literal tonnage to people melting them down.

Yeah. gently caress people.
Link? Or is this an example of your boyish imagination?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I would've preferred Vicky 3 but I'm sure I will enjoy Rome 2 anyway. That is, provided they do it properly rather than the unforgivably half-assed efforts of EU: Rome and Sengoku.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Potzblitz! posted:

I'm fairly surprised by the lukewarm reaction to Rome 2 itt (and I'd love Vicky3, don't get me wrong). It's been long overdue and it's a perfect setting. Also, there are too few games set in antiquity and most of them are bad. Ffs AssScreed Origins might be the best game set in antiquity ever, what the gently caress.

Based off the super limited info we have, it looks pretty much like a reskin for EU4. Which, cool I guess, but it's not exactly the most exciting thing I've seen. As we get more info I'll probably warm up to it, but right now I'm just kinda :shrug:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Potzblitz! posted:

I'm fairly surprised by the lukewarm reaction to Rome 2 itt

Until more is known about the game it just looks like EU with Rome skin slapped on top. People generally seemed to like Rome 1 because it was proto-ck2 mixed with EU and a little bit of vicky to boot.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
You could say the same about CK2 or Hearts of Iron, all of these games share elements in common. There's a ton you can already see that's different, including those very same proto-crusader kings and vicky elements--there are characters and pops right there in the screenshots.

I for one am very hyped.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Those provinces are so tiny! How are we going to be able to manage them once we get big? I hope that you're able to manage them by grouping them into super provinces that are of a size with actual provinces of the roman empire.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
What a shame about Vicky III. I thought it was a sure thing after all those jokes they were dropping. I hope they talk about why they went the Rome route, but I don't recall them being very open in the past.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Rome makes me really excited for CK3. The map isn't really any smaller overall but look at how many provinces it can handle. Make every barony a province and inject that poo poo right into my eyeballs.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't have anything against Rome in particular, personally, but the setting isn't inherently interesting to me and EU: Rome had a somewhat half-assed implementation that makes it unclear what would go into the sequel. That doesn't mean Rome: Imperator is bad, just that what's interesting about it will only come out in future dev diaries, at least to my mind.

Lord Windy posted:

What a shame about Vicky III. I thought it was a sure thing after all those jokes they were dropping. I hope they talk about why they went the Rome route, but I don't recall them being very open in the past.

I'm genuinely surprised how many people seemed to have been legitimately expecting Vicky 3 after Johann had already explicitly stated earlier that no, the new release isn't Vicky 3.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Charlz Guybon posted:

Those provinces are so tiny! How are we going to be able to manage them once we get big? I hope that you're able to manage them by grouping them into super provinces that are of a size with actual provinces of the roman empire.

I think they're sorta building on the whole provinces/areas system in EU4--there are tons of tiny cities, but they're all grouped into larger regions, which are what you do most/all of the actual management from. I hope it's the new norm in Paradox games going forward; I'm not the biggest fan of the gargantuan number of provinces that get added into EU4, since the states/areas system was patched in later and the game and interface isn't built around it, but for future games if the entire thing is set up to have more granular management, there could be a ton of detail without impacting performance so much or adding enormously to the monotony.

Lord Windy posted:

a couple of months back they literally said, very explicitly, that the announcement was not going to be Vicky III. I dunno if everyone just forgot or half the people were joking and them other people started taking it seriously or what but nobody should have been getting disappointed about that part

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Crazycryodude posted:

Based off the super limited info we have, it looks pretty much like a reskin for EU4. Which, cool I guess, but it's not exactly the most exciting thing I've seen. As we get more info I'll probably warm up to it, but right now I'm just kinda :shrug:

It doesnt look like euiv at all apart from being a map game

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

I'm sorry but this game is cursed

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Koramei posted:

You could say the same about CK2 or Hearts of Iron, all of these games share elements in common. There's a ton you can already see that's different, including those very same proto-crusader kings and vicky elements--there are characters and pops right there in the screenshots.

I for one am very hyped.

There's gold, manpower, stability at +1 so presumably on the same -3/+3 scale, ADM DIP and MIL mana with new icons, all arranged as they are in EU4. The province shown has about 20 "pops", unless there's literally 20 adult males in the entire province that's not a pop system at all. That's a reskin of development that can move around, maybe has a religion/culture attached to it. The thing people love (or at least I personally love) about the Victoria pop system is that it's very granular and they behave like actual individual people who have their own needs and desires and political aims that they will actively work towards. This doesn't look like a system that can really support that.

Again, maybe I'm totally wrong, but just based off the screenshots we've got it doesn't exactly look like the most revolutionary and exciting game ever. I'll probably still play it at some point, and it's not BAD by any means, but it's just not getting me hyped.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 20, 2018

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Windy posted:

I would bet that it's because Vicky has always been extremely ambitious with the way it models POPs, and balancing the economy is nigh impossible

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

build more vomitoriums to increase legionary mana

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a bit of a missed opportunity that they have a new naval themed DLC but didn't have Jazz Boatman narrate the trailer.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Crazycryodude posted:

There's gold, manpower, stability at +1 so presumably on the same -3/+3 scale, ADM DIP and MIL mana with new icons, all arranged as they are in EU4. The province shown has about 20 "pops", unless there's literally 20 adult males in the entire province that's not a pop system at all. That's a reskin of development that can move around, maybe has a religion/culture attached to it. The thing people love about the Victoria pop system is that it's very granular and they behave like actual individual people who have their own needs and desires and political aims that they will actively work towards. This doesn't look like a system that can really support that.

Again, maybe I'm totally wrong, but just based off the screenshots we've got it doesn't exactly look like the most revolutionary and exciting game ever. I'll probably still play it at some point, and it's not BAD by any means, but it's just not getting me hyped.

Gold? :crossarms: CK2 has manpower. I'll give you stability, which is disappointing since that system kinda sucks in EU4. The icons beyond that though, we know nothing about--they're not in the same place as the EU4 monarch points are and there's a fourth icon up there too. I don't see why the pops have to behave identically to the victoria ones--if they can move around dynamically (although we don't even know if they can?) that adds a lot of extra depth to how the provinces work anyway, and the needs of the masses and revolution and political upheaval was not the focus of antiquity. There's also no reason to believe they're just a development "reskin" when know pretty much nothing about them; maybe you're right, but you're assuming a lot there.

Hell maybe you're right and the other icons at the top are just mana after all and they just added a fourth type for some reason, but your arguments seem needlessly cynical. There's a lot we can see already that's different and frankly for the parts that might potentially not be, streamlining some EU4 stuff while EU5 is probably still a hell of a long way off isn't such a bad thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
For future reference: Paradox doesn't joke about an announcement not being game X if it actually is game X. That's why it was actually pretty easy to guess this was going to be Rome 2 since they conspicuously didn't joke about it being a Rome game, whereas when Stellaris was about to be announced they teased people about both Rome and Victoria a bunch.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

There's gold, manpower, stability at +1 so presumably on the same -3/+3 scale, ADM DIP and MIL mana with new icons, all arranged as they are in EU4. The province shown has about 20 "pops", unless there's literally 20 adult males in the entire province that's not a pop system at all. That's a reskin of development that can move around, maybe has a religion/culture attached to it. The thing people love (or at least I personally love) about the Victoria pop system is that it's very granular and they behave like actual individual people who have their own needs and desires and political aims that they will actively work towards. This doesn't look like a system that can really support that.

Aren't pops abstractions of populations? 20 different populations in one provinces sounds like a good amount.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

From the screenshot there's only 4 actual types of pop shown, then with numbers besides them. When I say 20 pops I mean that the numbers add up to 20, not that there are 20 different types. Just from the icons, the 4 types look vaguely like social classes (guy that looks like a slave, guy that looks like a common freeman, guy in a fancy robe) and presumably make different things. Which really doesn't feel that different from 3 types of development that make different things.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The pops thing is actually from EU: Rome. Back then, there were three pop types: Slaves, freemen, and citizens, all of whom lived in a given province. Slaves provided income, freemen provided manpower, and citizens provided research. Depending on your laws, though, you'd constantly be getting a slow promotion of slaves to freemen to citizens, so you're encouraged to get out there and conquer fresh slaves to keep the economy going, especially if you took national ideas that increased the rate of slave emancipation. Beating armies in battle also sent slaves straight back to the capital, so you ended up with with enormous, burgeoning capital cities fat with slaves and ex-slaves over time.

It was a pretty unique system, and the fact that it used abstracted quantities for pops didn't harm it much.