Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garlic Wraith
Dec 10, 2015

Dracula's nemesis

Cigar Aficionado posted:

It's hard for me to see Garcia beating Lomachenko, as he doesn't have extraordinary physical gifts and he's not huge for the weight (he's a natural featherweight like Lomachenko). It's still a massive fight that needs to happen, and Garcia is so good in all categories that it's hard to imagine him losing badly, and he absolutely has a chance to win. Then again maybe it looks like Roy Jones vs James Toney with the physical freak dominating the well rounded perfect technician.

Next big fight is next weekend: Adonis Stevenson vs Badou Jack. Should be an interesting one; Stevenson is 40 now and hasn't had a tough fight since Sakio Bika over 3 years ago, but Jack isn't some all worlder and he's also a bit chinny. If Jack can get out of the early rounds, he should win, but Stevenson will still be very dangerous for the first 4~ rounds. Hopefully Jack wins and rescues the WBC title from Stevenson's joke of a title reign, but it's no guarantee.

Also, Sergei Kovalev is fighting Eleider Alvarez in August and Artur Beterbiev has been ordered to fight undefeated Callum Johnson, so the lightheavyweight division should come into more of a definitive focus over the next few months.

To your point about Garcia -- I agree. I don't see Garcia beating Lomachenko. Garcia has the power but to me he is much more of a linear fighter than Linares is and certainly doesn't have the same footwork either.

The LHW division is shaping up to be very interesting post-Ward. I want to see how Gvozdyk against the winner of Jack-Stevenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Canelo opted out of a WBC "clean boxing program" and apparently won't get tested until he has another fight signed. I'm sitting around scratching my head and wondering why he wouldn't be doing everything in his power to clear his name. This is such a bad look for him and it makes me think he would piss hot if tested today.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
gently caress canelo

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Marching Powder posted:

gently caress canelo

Seriously, what a piece of poo poo.

He had so much good will before GGG came into the picture, and he's pissed all of it away.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm sitting around scratching my head and wondering why he wouldn't be doing everything in his power to clear his name.

because he wants to take steroids

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its a good move to kill a high payout by refusing to get tested until you have a fight signed

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Canelo signed up for year round VADA testing so this is kind of a moot point.

Anyway I’ll be at Stevenson/Jack so if you want to hit me in the face there you can.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Maybe we'll get that Golovkin rematch after all, although I'm not too hopeful and wouldn't blame GGG for not wanting to wait around til September.

I hope Stevenson gets wrecked.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Anyway I’ll be at Stevenson/Jack so if you want to hit me in the face there you can.

Hopefully you'll be sitting close enough to tell our "Adonis Chickenson" in a Russian accent while making duck noises to get a rise out of him.

Edit: I mean if you're looking for someone to hit you in the face he is an ex-pimp with documented violent tendencies.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 17, 2018

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Canelo signed up for year round VADA testing so this is kind of a moot point.

Ill be there too. Dont worry, ill find you

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
There was goon fight sports meet and I wasn't invited :mad:

Anyways Selby vs Warrington is streaming on Showtime sport's youtube and facebook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Y1DV2hK9g

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Not much quality but quite a good fight so far

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Selby is wrecked

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
split decision hahaha how the gently caress

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

meat CRime posted:

Selby is wrecked

Warrington won for sure and just because the right result was reached doesn't mean the lovely judging should be excused.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I thought the two Warrington cards were too close, no idea how anyone could possibly score it for Selby.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Mmm whatcha say just tried to crawl in the ring and is now being booed as he is pummeled by security and members of the crowd while the fights idly try to stay warm in neutral corners

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

How's the fight card so far? Any good fighters you saw before the televised fights?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I found a showtime stream but it's really choppy, guess I'll be catching this one on replay.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I found a showtime stream but it's really choppy, guess I'll be catching this one on replay.

i got a low quality but stable stream if you're interested?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I just found a stable one myself but thank you :)

Anyone that needs a link feel free to PM.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

this is a really good style matchup, especially after GRJ almost punched himself out

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

these heavyweights are pretty good

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I didn't expect such an inside fight so early. I think them exchanging like that is benefiting Diaz, also think Russell is a little too open to counters.

1-1 so far. Enjoying this southpaw-southpaw matchup.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Jo Jo's body work is giving me a funny feeling in my nether regions.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Russell is a lot better at mid-range. His power is a lot more effective with some distance to wind up, and the distance gives him some protection from Diaz' shots.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

rivas has some great head movement, is fast, and is doing some great work to the body.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

rivas has some great head movement, is fast, and is doing some great work to the body.

Are you watching showtime extreme?

AFAIK it's Russell Jr. vs Diaz as the live fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Are you watching showtime extreme?

AFAIK it's Russell Jr. vs Diaz as the live fight.

i've got no idea, i just got sent a stream that i assumed was the jack / stevenson fight undercard. maybe it isn't!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i've got no idea, i just got sent a stream that i assumed was the jack / stevenson fight undercard. maybe it isn't!

It probably is but you're watching an earlier fight, check ur PMs.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Diaz seems to be cleaning up imo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Jo Jo slowed down in round 6, Russell was better at holding him at bay.

I've got the Showtime card right now of 4-2 but think 4 and 6 could have gone either way, could easily see 4-2 or 3-3 either guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

It probably is but you're watching an earlier fight, check ur PMs.

thanks man

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I love Diaz's plan of attack the body but he is way too inactive to be winning this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

I love Diaz's plan of attack the body but he is way too inactive to be winning this.

Looks like he's tired.

He's most successful when he can keep Russell moving and uncomfortable but as soon as Russell gets set at that middle distance he freezes up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh I didn't realize that this is a split site card so you probably were watching the live undercard in Montreal lol.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Russell Jr. is really pulling away on my card. I've got 7-2 scoring round by round but think 6-3 may be a more reasonable score, but either way I don't think Diaz has done anything the last few rounds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Oh I didn't realize that this is a split site card so you probably were watching the live undercard in Montreal lol.

hahaha god drat! i ended up watching the end of the heavyweight fight i was watching anyway because it was a genuinely good fight.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pls never show gervonta Davis on TV again showtime tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I had my doubts but Diaz at proves he can hang at a top level at featherweight. GRJ just presents so many unique challenges but I'd like to see him-after a get well fight or two-against anyone else at the top the division. Him against Oscar Valdez could be crazy good. As for Russell he has got to face the Santa Cruz-Mares 2 winner.