Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Charlie Bobson posted:

How do I stop sucking so much dick at this vide game

if you're willing to pay $5 I found the videos on skill capped to be really helpful especially if they have a champ specific guide for one you play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my experience the people who can get good ranks are:

1) People who have naturally good game intuition, reflexes, or both
2) People who feel pleasure spending energy on activities that will improve their ability
3) People with enough past experience that they don't have to do #2 anymore

Playing a game by itself will make you reach your cap relatively fast, afterwards if you don't apply a filter or some serious analytical thinking you'll get a case of reinforcing what you know, and what you know for the vast majority of players is very far from optimal. People at every tier tend to have very strong opinions of what is good and what isn't, but if people at low ranks had any idea of what was good they wouldn't be stuck in low ranks.

There are very few people who'll go out of the way to learn how to play better even when taught how to because they don't have interest or energy to spend doing so. If your interest is entirely in the game itself and the meta-game doesn't offer anything to you, then there's a good chance you'll never get better and that's fine.

A good starting point is following Verviticus' advice of ripping off players with good results in the queue in which you're playing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I have not even the slightest bit of 1), but if you truly devote yourself to getting better you can do it.

Climbing, for me, required separating what my favorite champs are (Thresh, Fizz, Diana) from what I'm best at (Janna). I got really, really good at Janna. It takes both the analysis to see what you're actually good at in the game and the discipline to stick to that instead of doing the new fun wacky thing. You also need to combine this with having a good read on what's actually powerful; I don't think I would've ever been diamond if I hadn't started abusing Ardent Censer a month before it became a rush item in 100% of support item builds.

Acknowledge mistakes, don't get mad at criticism, and always look for things you can do better. Right now, I'm trying to be Less Bad at laning, so my focus has been on trying to trade well in early levels.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I didn't mean people who have the 3 of them, but you need to have at least one. I've never seen anyone who didn't derive any joy from practicing get better if they weren't good to start with, because the whole "devote yourself to getting better" is hard to do for most people. If the person is spending too much energy doing it, it might feel like a job and that goes against the purpose of playing.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Something I've noticed since I've come back to the game from season 6 is that no one does like a two auto leash anymore? Everyone seems to want to hang around attacking the golem or whatever until it's dead. Admittedly I haven't gotten back into ranked yet so this is just normals, so what should I be doing when I leash?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Down With People posted:

Something I've noticed since I've come back to the game from season 6 is that no one does like a two auto leash anymore? Everyone seems to want to hang around attacking the golem or whatever until it's dead. Admittedly I haven't gotten back into ranked yet so this is just normals, so what should I be doing when I leash?

What I generally do is get the buff down to 500-600HP, gets the jungler moving earlier and the melee minions will almost always be in single auto range by the time you get to lane. Assuming the jungler starts on their buff or needs a leash.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Down With People posted:

You can easily do like 6 autos before heading to lane to not miss melee minion xp

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Down With People posted:

people are leashing more heavily since you can get away with it without losing xp 90% of the time, and helping the jungler clear faster is a net boon to your team. i get it down to around 500 or so and then dip, or sooner if the guy is a faster clearer, or not at all if it is shaco. it depends on your jungler.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Verviticus posted:

getting your rear end kicked and doing the thing they did is very effective

This is basically the most important thing imo, I didn't start getting good at this game until I started queuing with !!!DIAMOND GOONS!!! and lost every single lane for like 6 months straight

In particular, if there's a champ that you lose to fairly often, and they seem like total bullshit, just start playing them. Either 1) they actually are total bullshit and it's freelo or 2) you figure out fairly quickly how to destroy them in lane

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Last night I played against a Master Yi who killed me in like a half second every time I saw him. He ended the game 37/3/2. It was like the 10th round I've ever played and I didn't know wtf was happening.

It's pretty cool that you can download a replay though, maybe I'll just watch him the entire replay to see what he's doing.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The thing about league is that as soon as someone gets about 5 or 6 kills without a death they become pretty impossible to 1v1. Being behind as a character who doesn't build tanky just means you get 2 or 3 shot every time.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Papercut posted:

Last night I played against a Master Yi who killed me in like a half second every time I saw him. He ended the game 37/3/2. It was like the 10th round I've ever played and I didn't know wtf was happening.

It's pretty cool that you can download a replay though, maybe I'll just watch him the entire replay to see what he's doing.

This is known as crossing the Yivent horizon, where the number of champs needed to fight Yi is greater than he number of people on your team.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

This is known as crossing the Yivent horizon, where the number of champs needed to fight Yi is greater than he number of people on your team.

lol

e: or LoL?

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
if i liked to play offlane in dota, what sh ould i play in leg of legends?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Top lane is.. Similar but you usually are just 1v1. There's nothing that gives you that limited economy feeling of eking out advantages versus 3 people in your lane.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Papercut posted:

On paper, some combination of grievous wounds, hard cc, and focus fire can effectively deal with even such a fed yi. In reality, if your team let him get that far ahead then they are almost certainly still too burdened by their sins to be able to effect such measures. This is made worse by the fact that the yi was almost certainly a Smurf in the first place.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Also, I've been having a lot of fun with this double tear Ezreal build, except in my usual fashion I go even more overboard. If you get a death cap after seraphs, Seraphs gives you 160 ABILITY POWER and death cap gives you 240 loving AP HOLY poo poo. It works really well because now your W does 650 damage, your E does 700 damage PLUS the muramana proc, and your ult is doing upwards of 1000 damage. After playing around with it a bit, my rune choice looks like so:

Primary
Inspiration
Klepto
Free boots
Minion demat
5% cdr

Secondary
Sorcery
Gathering Storm
Absolute Focus

I usually take the Time Warp Tonic and Biscuits, but IMO Ezreal really struggles in lane pre 6 now, and having minion dematerializer can put the wave in a good spot so you don't NEED biscuits to survive, since you can avoid being on the tower better. I like the 5% CDR better since more CDR is better thanks to the flat reset on Ez Q, and CDR is more relevant late game because your non Q spells are much more impactful thanks to ability power. Manaflow Band is really loving good on Ezreal, but since Gathering Storm and Absolute Focus are adaptive, they smoothly transition into fueling the late game deathcap power when you finish seraphs and Hat, so I prefer them now. Absolute Focus is even better on him since you get Seraphs, since you can now put up a shield to help keep your health above the extra damage threshhold a bit longer.

Build is usually:

Blade/Shield and pot

First back is optimally just a tear asap. Tear + Cull is also fantastic, as is Tear + Sheen. It is absolutely imperative that you get your tear in a timely manner. Early game shenanigans that do not put you back in the fountain with tear gold are a bad idea. Ezreal has a really mediocre 1-5 now and you want to just soak farm and get money from your keystone to rush Tear.

Work towards Muramana/Frozen Fist, prioritizing the Fist unless you get a back where the pickaxe makes sense. I also just finish Manamune if I have about 1600 gold. I tried Lich Bane since it's an AP build, or at least sitting on the Sheen, but it takes too long to get the AP for building Lich early to mean anything, and on top of that it leaves you 10 cdr short. You still do crazy damage with the fist thanks to your great AP values and muramana proccing on E auto and Q.

The second tear is the trick. You want it in your inventory before Manamune is finished stacking, but not too early. If you somehow have your two item core and you're still only like 250/750 on the Mana stack, get the Lost Chapter first. Your second tear should be in your pocket so that the moment you're done with manamune its a seamless transition into stacking the second one, which goes fast thanks to your ability to proc it continuously and your generous mana pool by this point in the game. As soon as Seraphs is done, you want to immediately start putting together the Hat.

My 2 big concerns with my builds tend to be the following: 'What happens if I'm behind?' and 'Is this build actually poo poo but I get away with it because I play Ezreal a lot?'

Fortunately, thanks to Klepto, your first two items, being relatively cheap anyway, are put together extremely quickly, and you can almost certainly stack a tear before 18 minutes even if you feed your rear end off. Games where I get going early I can have it done at 16 minutes; the change to let you proc it 3 times in 12 seconds helps a lot for stacking consistency. Sheen and Manamune almost certainly allow you to tread water until Muramana comes online, and then after that Seraphs and then the Hat just make your E auto Q combo even more ridiculous. With your 4 item core (and Sorcs LMAO) you can reliably one shot characters with E auto WQ if they are squishy because of the nutty base values. Catch someone off guard and they just die, it's awesome.

Mostly I have found I really enjoy this build because coming out of fog and 3 shotting someone for the pick is basically my long standing preferred playstyle of Ezreal, and this build allows that to scale quite gracefully into the late game. W takes big chunks off tanks, and if you get a chance to find a squishy character you demolish them. Not really sure what the last item should be, or if a Lich Bane could replace Fist at 45-50 minutes. Void staff sounds good, or possibly a defensive item. I need to play around with the build some more to really figure it out.

e; I didn't discuss the reason why Manamuna into Seraph's has become popular, which is good for three reasons: one, his ratios are good and mana from both items supercharges the amount of mana you get. Two, it gives you a bigger mana pool for Muramana to proc with, so your huge mana is actually fueling two different stat checks, which is good. Third, Seraph's refunds 25% of your mana, where Muramana only refunds 15%. This means that your mana depletes much more slowly from Muramana since you are getting a large chunk of that back.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 19, 2018

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Plus side: the mixed damage you deal would help a lot if your team is otherwise heavy-AD, since it's tough to itemize against.

I'm concerned about the late-game DPS of the build, since your autoattacks suck; Ezreal was never exactly a late-game hypercarry anyway. Has your experience been that your late game is worse? And if so, do you think the midgame ability damage makes up for it? In the ten minutes that bot Ziggs was popular, the graph of winning by minute of game is super high before about 35 minutes, then goes wayyyyy below 50% since you don't have an ADC.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Robo Turnus posted:

if i liked to play offlane in dota, what sh ould i play in leg of legends?

top lane is closest but you may also find jungling to be your cup of tea, depending on if you picked the roaming "i might not get last hits but i can last hit the enemy heroes" type of offlaner.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

top lane is just a game of chicken every game to see who gets bored and leaves first to leave the other guy to push to the other base instantly, avoid that dumpster fire like the plague. never play top, never look top, never gank top, never go top

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

strong bird posted:

top lane is just a game of chicken every game to see who gets bored and leaves first to leave the other guy to push to the other base instantly, avoid that dumpster fire like the plague. never play top, never look top, never gank top, never go top

otoh, top laners are awful garbage people and if you kill them early there's a 1/3 chance they tilt off and if you kill them again they might afk.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

kingcobweb posted:

Plus side: the mixed damage you deal would help a lot if your team is otherwise heavy-AD, since it's tough to itemize against.

I'm concerned about the late-game DPS of the build, since your autoattacks suck; Ezreal was never exactly a late-game hypercarry anyway. Has your experience been that your late game is worse? And if so, do you think the midgame ability damage makes up for it? In the ten minutes that bot Ziggs was popular, the graph of winning by minute of game is super high before about 35 minutes, then goes wayyyyy below 50% since you don't have an ADC.

Your late game is significantly better since you can actually do damage through minions with your W, and your single target burst is superior. In addition, your ult hits like a truck and combined with wombo will demolish a team. The mid game is slightly less good as just going Bork, but the late game is much, much better. You are actually relevant.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

otoh, top laners are awful garbage people and if you kill them early there's a 1/3 chance they tilt off and if you kill them again they might afk.
We call this the Yasuo Strat.

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Your late game is significantly better since you can actually do damage through minions with your W, and your single target burst is superior. In addition, your ult hits like a truck and combined with wombo will demolish a team. The mid game is slightly less good as just going Bork, but the late game is much, much better. You are actually relevant.
I saw a double tear Ezreal in a pro game 2-shot a Kai'sa. Get to 3 items with both tears and a Triforce and you become a god drat poke machine. Haven't been able to duplicate that myself yet but my laning as Ezreal and tear stacking both suck rear end.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Top lane is a brutal, drawn out 1v1 measure of skill. The skill being measured is that of the jungler

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

As an ADC I love when the enemy jungler camps top because we get to stay pushed in constantly and take all the drakes because no-one in silver ever takes the herald.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy playing tops that are incredibly strong laners in some matchups despite people for some reason thinking they are weak and then having the other team go "LOL report top for losing to a GP/old Ryze/whatever"

i get first blood level 2 with GP a loooot in gold because people really do not respect the low level passive/Q damage when they should be treating him like Pantheon when I have grasp, especially if you can get good at the timings of walking up before you actually hit level 2 and letting the minions do it, and walking up like a second before your passive comes back so they don't run away, etc

I never got why old Ryze had a reputation of being a weak laner when he was outrageously strong against a lot of melees if you could keep people on a 500 range leash well but man I blasted some people back in like season 4 and they always seemed very surprised about it

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 20, 2018

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Every game I play with or against Vladimir he absolutely shits on everyone on the other team, and honestly I'm not sure what I can even do to deal with it. He has insane burst, is almost as untouchable as Fizz, and if he's left alone for two seconds he heals to full. He gets enough free hp from his passive that the only way to kill him in a teamfight is to burst him before he can react.

I know his winrate is hovering around like 50% in Plat+ but honestly I feel like he's super op right now, especially with the re-addition of Shurelya's.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
He's been my go-to ban for a while. His laning is kinda weak but he's so strong later, and if he gets ahead at all he'll gently caress up your whole team.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
thanks for the help/resources guys, i am excited to one day be able to escape bronze 5

strong bird
May 12, 2009

What causes these swings

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Went back to figure out how I got a double kill, and uhhh... (look at Warwick...)

https://plays.tv/s/Lk3INFSw9Ajy

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

foutre posted:

Went back to figure out how I got a double kill, and uhhh... (look at Warwick...)

https://plays.tv/s/Lk3INFSw9Ajy

This owns

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Played a game of tank Pyke (iceborn -> Gargoyle) and it felt like a really strong build. Just got to play him in a totally different way, diving into fights not giving a gently caress and putting out a ton of CC with the early 20% CDR and a slow field. You're insanely good at long, drawn-out fights; if you take a ton of damage, you back up and heal, then go back in and execute everyone late in the fight. You get HP from takedowns and have the mana to fight for ages.

I don't really feel like I missed the damage on his basic skills in the slightest. Only two things I missed were the higher execute threshold on his ult, and the proc of Duskblade to clear vision (seriously, just an insanely good thing to have on a support). I'm thinking that, similar to how Lee in pro play goes Warrior -> tank, maybe Pyke is supposed to go Duskblade -> tank.

For runes I ran:

Resolve:
Aftershock
Bone Plating
Conditioning
Unflinching

Precision:
Triumph
Legend: Tenacity

You get ~50% Tenacity pretty trivially with Unflinching and Legend, which seems crazy.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh yeah, at full build I was doing 540 damage to towers, with regular autos Kingcobweb. Late game this Ez build is pretty dope. Each extra item you finish just makes you even more retarded. It's like AP Ez, but you completely skip the anemic early lane phase by playing the Most Meta AD Ezreal Build of Muramana/Fist, before just building a bunch of AP, and the double mana items make it so that you still scale like a motherfucker. It's awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I made a signup form for Clash so if you want to find a Clash team put your stuff in here.

E: Clash tickets are now in the shop as well, 215RP or 990BE and you can only buy 3 per week with BE (so you can still get enough for a 5 ticket entry between clashes).

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 20, 2018

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
What's a good way to deal with teemo? The little shithead runs up darts me with her stupid movement speed and I get chunked for a stupid amount of health by that dart.

Still won the game in the end. Once our evelyn hit 6 we were just able to kill her bc I was TF, so I would go in hard on her, gold card and then evelyn would just delete teemo. But what, if anything, could I have done before then?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

What's a good way to deal with teemo? The little shithead runs up darts me with her stupid movement speed and I get chunked for a stupid amount of health by that dart.

Still won the game in the end. Once our evelyn hit 6 we were just able to kill her bc I was TF, so I would go in hard on her, gold card and then evelyn would just delete teemo. But what, if anything, could I have done before then?

Hard engage with a jungle gank. The challenge is accomplishing this before teemo builds a mushroom field to defend this. Pick a champion like ornn or malphite to help set up your jungler.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The counter to Teemo is Pantheon. Just murder his obnoxious squeaky rear end every time he dares show his face near the minion line.

Be super super careful about the enemy jungler, though. It's really easy for a jungler to punish that kind of aggression especially if you get tunnel vision.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Erdricks posted:

Abuse him him Quinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've found all but the best Teemos I came across to be a very easy matchup with Rumble

Every time you hit a harpoon he's basically dead