Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I hope they keep his crazy Mojoverse background and everyone else just goes "Okay, cool" and moves on without ever mentioning it again. :v:

they did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Green Lantern fit in the current DCCU? Are they going to want the character back, or is it fair to say between the movie itself and the start dunking on it hard we won't be seeing him again?

Even if they wanted to reuse GL in DC movies, they could always use one of the other Earth Green Lanterns: Jon Stewart, Guy Gardner, or Kyle Rayner (all of who are arguably more interesting than Hal)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

LadyPictureShow posted:

Even if they wanted to reuse GL in DC movies, they could always use one of the other Earth Green Lanterns: Jon Stewart, Guy Gardner, or Kyle Rayner (all of who are arguably more interesting than Hal)

I really don't think that's even a discussion, Hal is the lamest GL and that's science.

Reynolds as Gardner could have been amazing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Outside of Batman, I never really read any DC comics and all my knowledge comes from the animated Justice League, so I am in favor of a Jon Stewart GL.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Guy Gardner is the obvious choice: rear end in a top hat comedy Green Lantern. All the good parts of Hancock meets the DC universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bring back the comedy Green Lantern script with Jack Black which ends with him creating a green Superman to fight evil for him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

My favorite thing we learned from this movie is that during his downtime, Colossus likes to re-read the X-men rulebook for fun

I can only wonder how much of that rulebook is obvious patches to tell off Wolverine.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really don't think that's even a discussion, Hal is the lamest GL and that's science.

Reynolds as Gardner could have been amazing.

Up high :hfive:

Guy was always the best GL

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

as long as it has that scene from t he cartoon where green lantern gets thrown and then the robots fly down and start punching his body.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

swickles posted:

Outside of Batman, I never really read any DC comics and all my knowledge comes from the animated Justice League, so I am in favor of a Jon Stewart GL.

Hoo baby; in the comics back in the 70s or early 80s Hal and Jon were both GLs. Hal’s girlfriend became Star Sapphire and murdered a GL (who was Jon’s wife) in their kitchen.

Jon was reasonably pissed, yanno as one gets when they come home and find their wife brutally murdered. Hal flew off w/ thought bubbles basically going ‘Boy Jon sure is mad. How unreasonable!’

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Up high :hfive:

Guy was always the best GL

The Green Lantern Corps is supposedly going to be Guy, Hal, and John for what it's worth. I have to imagine DC isn't too bothered by Deadpool's jokes at GL's expense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm looking forward to when Deadpool 2 wins best song a the Oscars.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hal did become better later on Emerald Twilight and when he went insane and started killing the Green Lanterns after Coast City was destroyed was kind of amazing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This was a good, fun movie that needed more Negasonic and her Girlfriend.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

^^^ Agreed. If I have any real complaint, that's it.^^^^

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hoo baby; in the comics back in the 70s or early 80s Hal and Jon were both GLs. Hal’s girlfriend became Star Sapphire and murdered a GL (who was Jon’s wife) in their kitchen.

Jon was reasonably pissed, yanno as one gets when they come home and find their wife brutally murdered. Hal flew off w/ thought bubbles basically going ‘Boy Jon sure is mad. How unreasonable!’

Hal Jordan is kind of weird. He's an example of an archetype which used to be super ubiquitous in all 50-60's science fiction dramas, but has pretty much ceased to exist since then: the Coldly Rational Masculine Hotshot Guy. Watch almost any black and white episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and you'll see this character, usually turning a chiseled jaw up into the sky and holding his love interest at arm's length as the last flying saucer crashes into the background, before ending the film by saying "Yes, but at what cost? At. What. Cost?" He's never an academic scientist but he's often a technician, he's rarely a soldier, but he's usually military-adjacent, like a test pilot or merchant sailor. The CRMHG is intelligent but not nerdy, risk-taking but not pleasure-seeking, and sexlessly chauvinistic and woman-hating and just generally possessing no real ability to connect with women on any level, except that, obviously, he still scores with chicks, but he does so by using his intellect and meta-physical virility and not, like, talking to them or poo poo.

It's all heavily tied into this post-War pre-Reagan idea of science-y masculinity that was eventually staked out into the sun to die when Good Old American Know-How hosed Vietnam into an unending failure-hole, to be replaced by rogue maverick rule-breakers and schlubby blue-collar guys with daddy issues. But since it's also apparently the only thing that can give Geoff Johns an erection, we're probably still going to have to deal with Hal.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 20, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm looking forward to when Deadpool 2 wins best song a the Oscars.

That chorus song toward the end was pretty amazing, I thought it was a real nice touch. It wasn't as fun as the rap from 1, but still real fun. Some real fun music choices for the mid-credit sequence, and the dubstep worked for me with the timing of it, though I kind of wish they'd gone with a different song there.

I'm impressed with how many callbacks they pulled off to the first movie, and the more indirect callbacks where it was an extension of something from 1 like the big highlight in my theater and a definite high point for me the entire baby legs scene .

The mid-credits ending had me absolutely in stitches, and I was left really hoping they went even further with it, I just never wanted it to stop. I've heard of one deleted scene already, I hope they shot like 10 of them and include them on the dvd, even without any VFX they might require beyond maybe setting up his mask. Just such a fun ending to a really fun movie, and far and away the best marvel-style credit bonus feature ever, nothing else is even remotely in the same league that I can recall.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The actor who plays Shadowstar Lewis Tan was passed over for the role of Iron Fist and now lands what looks like a pretty good role in Deadpool 2 then possibly X-Force.

Yea he was loving awesome in this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly dude was pretty shredded in this. He must’ve worked out hard.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly dude was pretty shredded in this.

Not an emptyquote. :golfclap:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The first movie felt like it had a split between characters that were wacky and characters that aren’t wacky. This felt like every single minor side bit person was wacky.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I was so excited Shatterstar was in this. Probably my favorite comic book character as a kid. Hopefully there will be more of that in the future.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They’re not saying Juggernaut wasn’t in it, just that Black Tom was the main villain. It makes sense since the two of them were partners through most of the 90s. Apparently the current cut is about 20mins shorter than what was shown at SxSW. Juggxrnaught tested well and Black Tom didn’t so Tom gets whacked in reshoots and they add a little bit to show Juggie is still alive.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. It wouldn't be an easy reshoot (as you would have to reshoot all of the action scenes where he appeared (which, if he was actually the primary villain, would be everything from at least the transport-escape through the end of the film)). What is significantly more likely is that the lovely rumor sites saw the name "Black Tom" in a casting notice, spun out some bullshit "exclusive" about how he was a major villain in this movie, and then when they were very clearly wrong tried to pretend it was a late-stage change.

Also, Deadpool 2 wasn't screened at SXSW (either the festival or the surrounding corporate promo events).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah all that seems like bullshit.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Domino was the best part of the movie for me. Get her a spin-off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Domino was the best part of the movie for me. Get her a spin-off.

She was very, very, very cool and had some real action highlights while also having fun chemistry with everybody. If the X-force movie has Deadpool, Domino, Cable, Colossus, and a fun character like Psylocke or one with a real weird backstory and powerset like Fantomex on the hero side then I think it'll be a real fun time. Fanto's probably too similar to Deadpool in the "wears a mask and mostly uses guns and swords" department, but there's been tons of mutants on the team at one time or another and they can always grab one of the hundreds of mutants who haven't been in any movies and make them part of it.

I'd really like them to finally take a run at putting Sinister in an X-men movie as the villain, but with Mojoworld being referenced I think you could do some absolutely insane stuff with the team stuck there. I'd also be totally down for more of a team vs. team aspect with them fighting a small number of talented foes instead of a swarm of mostly CGI baddies.

I think we're basically guaranteed to see Deadpool, Domino and Cable on the team though, and with that at the core it's hard not to imagine a real fun time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I think my favorite bit had to be the Vanisher. It seemed like just a one-note joke but I loved how they just went with it the floating parachute and finally the "oh he's going to hit the power...WTF?! Brad Pitt?!" reveal death. It was just so out of nowhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want Taskmaster and Bullseye in the next movie.

And Montgomery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

I think my favorite bit had to be the Vanisher. It seemed like just a one-note joke but I loved how they just went with it the floating parachute and finally the "oh he's going to hit the power...WTF?! Brad Pitt?!" reveal death. It was just so out of nowhere.

The funny thing is that the floating parachute was in most of the trailers but it pretty much no one noticed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D86RtevtfrA&t=96s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I love the idea of hiring the most expensive and busy stars for brief cameos ending in their comical deaths.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Taskmaster would be really fun, and a hell of a way to poke fun at the MCU if they're able to have him using a replica of Cap's shield, Hawkeye's bow, web shooters, etc. I'd enjoy seeing him on either side, and if you put him in a mask you can have a super sick stunt performer do all the fights he's in and dub his voice if you want Darth Vader style, or just land a real good actor if you give him a heavier part. Bullseye's plenty of fun too, easy to imagine fun fights with his abilities in the mix.

As far as I know that specific cameo was done for scale and a cup of coffee, with it taking about 30 minutes total and being the last thing they shot for the movie like a month and a half ago.

Edit: Oh, and I also really liked how they got Deadpool into his all-black X-force colored costume in the movie, I didn't expect that to be done that way but it really worked for me.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 20, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I didn't expect to like the first Deadpool and was pleasantly surprised, though jokewise it really toed the line between obnoxious and funny. Mainly a lot of the 'look how creatively we curse' didn't land for me.

Untitled Deadpool Sequel was a total blast. Funny, great action and fun characters. I loved that they had so much more reference material with the comic book movies coming out in the interim and used it effectively. Zazie Beetz is the best.

I was a little upset at first that Vanessa just got fridged to give Wade a 'get back on your feet' story, cause I liked her from the first movie. But pretty soon after Cable's time thingy got drawn attention to, I figured there might be a recon ending. Really great mid-credits thing there.

If I had to complain, it would be TJ Miller's impossible to look at now without thinking "gently caress you, dick" and he repeatedly got the badly recycled joke of describing Wade's looks. I was really hoping Cable would just shoot him in his interrogation.

I love that these movies can have room for the more fantastically stupid stuff from Marvel, like Mojoworld, or the impossibly ridiculous 90s character designs.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Iirc, way back when they were talking potential sequels to Deadpool, someone brought up Taskmaster and it appears that the rights for Taskmaster have returned to Disney/Marvel.

Never thought I would be sad about Marvel getting back their film rights, Tasky would have been way more amazing in a DP movie over the MCU.

Also, (minor reference) during the X-Force interview scene, was that a cutout of Outlaw/Inez at the doorway? It could have been a random cowgirl but it looked a lot like her outfit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mania posted:

Also, (minor reference) during the X-Force interview scene, was that a cutout of Outlaw/Inez at the doorway? It could have been a random cowgirl but it looked a lot like her outfit.

Yeah that was her.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

NowonSA posted:

Taskmaster would be really fun, and a hell of a way to poke fun at the MCU if they're able to have him using a replica of Cap's shield, Hawkeye's bow, web shooters, etc. I'd enjoy seeing him on either side, and if you put him in a mask you can have a super sick stunt performer do all the fights he's in and dub his voice if you want Darth Vader style, or just land a real good actor if you give him a heavier part. Bullseye's plenty of fun too, easy to imagine fun fights with his abilities in the mix.

As far as I know that specific cameo was done for scale and a cup of coffee, with it taking about 30 minutes total and being the last thing they shot for the movie like a month and a half ago.

Edit: Oh, and I also really liked how they got Deadpool into his all-black X-force colored costume in the movie, I didn't expect that to be done that way but it really worked for me.

I've loved Taskmaster since Agent X, that could be great. Jason Statham? Comedy Statham best Statham, and I don't think he has so much background you couldn't just making him English. They made Russel Kiwi anyway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m going to say spoilers but here’s a good article on what the writers were thinking about Yukio and what Fox owns.

https://www.cbr.com/deadpool-2-negasonic-warhead-girlfriend-surge-yukio/amp/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my favorite running gag was "cable's racist". got the biggest laugh from me when deadpool was dying and said something like "cable. i hope someday you'll be able to judge people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is figuring out how much of Deadpool's dialogue makes absolutely zero sense to the other characters without the fourth wall to look in from.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just saw it again, looking for Easter eggs. I quickly realised that with no acceptable way to take note I would probably forget some. But:

"Christopher Plumber *something* Deadpool 2" on the ticker when Karen is reporting on Russell's freak out.
Shake Weight on Reynolds' desk

If Cable could go back and do things different (slip Wade his token) why did he shoot him at all?

Also something I just noticed watching the first one again, when Wade tells Francis he seriously has something in his teeth "this time", before being sealed in the vacuum tank, he actually does.

Back to 2 god the Juggernaut voice thing is driving me mad, I swear he sounds familiar.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BizarroAzrael posted:

"Christopher Plumber *something* Deadpool 2" on the ticker when Karen is reporting on Russell's freak out.

Christopher Plummer Turns Down Role In Deadpool 2. It's a TJ Miller joke.

quote:

If Cable could go back and do things different (slip Wade his token) why did he shoot him at all?

Because the whole thing that made Russell turn good was Wade being willing to take the bullet. Russell didn't believe Wade was actually being sincere until Wade dove in front of that bullet, so Cable had to shoot. He just rigged it so Wade would live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Back to 2 god the Juggernaut voice thing is driving me mad, I swear he sounds familiar.

ryan reynolds did the voice and face motion capture according to one of the writers.

• Locked thread