Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hana is also best at Basket ball

https://twitter.com/noziken/status/997987399786418176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

How can they let the characters just kick things like that? What about the influence that'll have on the kids????

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
was putting off watching Darling in the Franxx because i don't have enough time to watch everything i want as it is, and now that I freed up some time im hearing that apparently the show is pushing lovely right wing views about gender and sexuality

dodged a bullet a guess

well time to watch small girl with guns online

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:shrug: I haven't been watching either but from what I've seen people are kinda reaching to make weird takes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RottenK posted:

was putting off watching Darling in the Franxx because i don't have enough time to watch everything i want as it is, and now that I freed up some time im hearing that apparently the show is pushing lovely right wing views about gender and sexuality

dodged a bullet a guess

well time to watch small girl with guns online

It's too early to call, but if you want some earnest impressions you could always check out the Thread we have for it, and ask any questions you may have about it there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

:shrug: I haven't been watching either but from what I've seen people are kinda reaching to make weird takes.

I think it’s mainly that the show’s been pretty vague and contradictory about its themes even this close to the end (and the most coherent interpretations are still pretty bizarre - if it’s a criticism of Japanese work culture, for instance, then its diagnosis of the problem and suggested treatments are, to put it kindly, odd), and hasn’t exactly gone out of its way to shut down the right-wing take on its themes in any sort of conclusive way. So it’s less a show that is definitely being weird and uncomfortable about sexuality, and more of a show that opens itself to some weird and uncomfortable interpretations (and closes itself to some more charitable ones).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anime fandom doesn't deserve franxx

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

🤔

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
franxx is the first time i've wished a show did the netflix model and all got released at once so that i wouldn't have to see people constantly having takes on it every week it's aired since the first episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it’s mainly that the show’s been pretty vague and contradictory about its themes even this close to the end (and the most coherent interpretations are still pretty bizarre - if it’s a criticism of Japanese work culture, for instance, then its diagnosis of the problem and suggested treatments are, to put it kindly, odd), and hasn’t exactly gone out of its way to shut down the right-wing take on its themes in any sort of conclusive way. So it’s less a show that is definitely being weird and uncomfortable about sexuality, and more of a show that opens itself to some weird and uncomfortable interpretations (and closes itself to some more charitable ones).
its just a show with weird and kind of muddled theming id say, id accuse it of being directionless more than anything, but this is the space year 2018 so something has to be either pure good or pure evil

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the year is UC 0118, I drop a colony on the anime fandom to free them from trigger's gravity

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I trust Endorph when it comes to stuff like this, i guess i'll just wait until the show ends and then see what people say about it after the whole story's known.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its definitely handling heavy themes kinda messily/stupidly, i cant blame people for being wary of it/dropping it, i just dislike the need to rush to call it literal rightwing propaganda instead of just a show with a few dumb writing decisions made by people who think they know more about gender and sexuality than they do

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Its certainly possible its saying something lovely but it hasn't said it yet, basically

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not watching FranXX myself so I can't offer any particularly hot takes about it, but I will say it doesn't seem unreasonable for people to be irritated with a show for getting like 3/4ths of the way through its run and not offering any obvious non-lovely thematic throughlines.

Like even when I'm reading people who like the show, there's a lot of "well we'll see where it's going with this idea" and "well I'm sure it doesn't mean it like that" - just seems like there's a whole lot of uncertainty about what the show is even about considering how long it's had to stake out a position on something.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It seems like it did fine enough by the shoulder touch girl given the established cast dynamics.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the discourse at large has just failed to hook onto the idea that it's about how giving teens the freedom and knowledge to explore their sexuality is integral to a healthy society, which definitely has relevance to our own. the writing has issues elsewhere (badly executed visual metaphors, inconsistent world, slow pacing, few meaty characters), but i feel like this thematic core is well-established and people are getting sidetracked by stuff the characters do and say as if you're meant to see them as 100% correct author mouthpieces.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, I feel like there comes a point where if enough of the audience isn't getting it, it becomes less practical to blame the audience for just being too stupid to follow along than it is to blame the author for not expressing themselves clearly enough.

Not that anitwitter is a representative sample, mind.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the visual metaphor issues are definitely to blame for some of that, but even if it's just a case of the show being unclear that's still a significant difference from "rightwing propaganda" or whatever the new hot take is from franxx livetweeting.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
darling in the franxx ftw

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

thank you for your contribution

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
everyone thought the glasses girl was gay cuz she looked really unhappy when the one girl touched her shoulder and told her to pilot with the guy that doesn't like her and I thought 'no way that means she's gay, that's ridiculous' but it sounds like she's gay so way to go trigger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqDlfqmUlcg

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I have not read a single word about Franxx on the internet and I'm pretty sure it is explicitly about puberty being a hell of a thing and is mostly a cool as gently caress show.

I mean I guess if I had to force myself the role reversed characters are all evil and probably not human? Is that the thing?. I mostly just thought it was cool they existed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They treated the gay girl confessing her feelings to someone who doesn't return them with respect so I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Of course I'm also actually watching the show instead of judging it based on twitter posts by idiots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Of course I'm also actually watching the show instead of judging it based on twitter posts by idiots.

It's like you don't even know how you're supposed to form opinions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
DITF definitely acknowledges that gay people exist. It’s just a question of whether a place for them in its world can be found, and that’s still not got an answer yet (especially since the lesbian girl and the constantly-humiliated fat kid kind of feel like they’ve been lumped together into Team Expendable).

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i just watched this and i can confirm it's a great concept and executed in a pretty fun way
i want more immediately

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The discourse.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Discourse in the Franxx

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, To Be Heroine was great. Will definitely watch more.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think Zero 2 is really cute and I wish she was in a show I had any interest at all in

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
hell,

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the message in FranXX is way more simple and people are reading into poo poo too deep, ala Evangelion.

kater posted:

I have not read a single word about Franxx on the internet and I'm pretty sure it is explicitly about puberty being a hell of a thing and is mostly a cool as gently caress show.

I mean I guess if I had to force myself the role reversed characters are all evil and probably not human? Is that the thing?. I mostly just thought it was cool they existed.

Spoiler: At this point, "human" is pretty much a concept you can throw out the window since the Parasites seem to be different from the people living in the domes who also may or may not be different from the people of APE. Any one of these groups may be the closest to what we know as human in terms of behavior but not biologically. Alternatively all of these groups may be related to humans but have grown distinct. This ignores Klaxosaurs who, in crack theory time, may have also descended from humans way before everything went to poo poo.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 20, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i haven't watched franxx, but anyway, here are my opinions

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like the message in FranXX is way more simple and people are reading into poo poo too deep, ala Evangelion.

Spoiler: At this point, "human" is pretty much a concept you can throw out the window since the Parasites seem to be different from the people living in the domes who also may or may not be different from the people of APE. Any one of these groups may be the closest to what we know as human in terms of behavior but not biologically. Alternatively all of these groups may be related to humans but have grown distinct. This ignores Klaxosaurs who, in crack theory time, may have also descended from humans way before everything went to poo poo.

The intended message may be simple, but it wouldn’t be the first time a show had dragged in unintentional but revealing baggage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The intended message may be simple, but it wouldn’t be the first time a show had dragged in unintentional but revealing baggage.

I don't know if it'd reveal anything other than norms that are probably still typical for Japan.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/illegenes/status/998237360126025729

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
finally something that makes me want to watch megalobox https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/998253545941098496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't know if it'd reveal anything other than norms that are probably still typical for Japan.
christ

• Locked thread