Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Coulson is super dead. It would be incredibly stupid if he came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mymla posted:

Coulson is super dead. It would be incredibly stupid if he came back.

Nah, KREE blood or something something.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm really happy they dialled back on Daisy Boss. It's a bad fit for the character and Coulsons massive blindspot. I originally wanted May to be head honcho but Mack is a great choice and is both something I didn't see coming but can see works really well. One thing I think this show deserves a lot of praise for is the distinction between the characters abilities but having them all equally valued as much as possible.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dracorion posted:

When did Daisy get the Centipede serum

A couple of episodes back. She met up with Candyman, where he gave it to her, told her it was the last of it, mentioned New York in passing, and then said he couldn't find some place on a map. Daisy looked at the name, and realized it was her mother's name, not a place name, and left to dig up her mom.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Oh hey there next season main cast(minus Fitz).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bentacos posted:

Oh hey there next season main cast(minus Fitz).

I'm looking forward to how well Dashboard Hula Girl fits in with the team

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad Piper and Davis made it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rocksicles posted:

I'm glad Piper and Davis made it.

Thanos: They didn't make it.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

Rhyno posted:

That was so good!

Daisy QUAKING Gravitalbot into space was my favorite shot of the entire season I think. Have they confirmed anywhere that Coulson and May are out for next year?

Clark Gregg says in this interview on IGN that he pretty much expects it to be the end for his character, not that that really means anything in the end...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

GLOSS posted:

Clark Gregg says in this interview on IGN that he pretty much expects it to be the end for his character, not that that really means anything in the end...

"Coulson, it turns out that God is real and he's letting you live forever!!!...

...also God is Thanos."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

I just realized this is the last we'll see of Creel :(

They've killed like, every recurring character on the show now who isn't in SHIELD. They could bring Hunter or Bobbi back again but that's about it as far as I can remember.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

They've killed like, every recurring character on the show now who isn't in SHIELD. They could bring Hunter or Bobbi back again but that's about it as far as I can remember.

Dethlok is still alive, isn't he?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Shield Trek VI: The Search For Fitz

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Really you guys? I'm surprised I'm the only one who didn't like that episode much. It really drove home how bad the season was. Number one problem was that everyone acted like idiots right up until the end. Coulson was the only one among them that can make the right decision and he won't be doing that anymore.

Now the new leader is Mack "I'm not gonna do the thing that can save the world, because I have 'hope'". It's true that their plan of giving the bad guy space PCP and hoping it kills him wasn't a great plan, but remember no one was opposed to it because they thought it wouldn't work, they'd rather save one guy instead. It's just as dumb as Infinity War where one life was too precious to sacrifice so instead thousands of people can die defending him cause that's better I guess. Can you imagine if everything happened just like the team wanted, Coulson took the syrum and now had to live the rest of his life in a ruined world, knowing that his life was saved at cost all of humanity? That's a fate far worst than death and what kind of a gently caress up do you have to be to wish that on anyone?

The show was officially billed as taking place in the same universe as and alongside with the movies, but I guess that's officially out the window now, the writing has gone to poo poo, see above, and the new budget certainly doesn't help. What's left? A bunch of really talented actors no doubt, but I don't think they can carry the show alone for me, so I have my doubts about next season at this point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Who's in next season likely depends entirely on how the next two movies play out. As for when it happens in the continuity, they were talking about "that weird stuff in New York" and "Thanos is coming" but never that he had arrived. IW most likely takes place over a span of weeks or even months, meaning the latter arc of this AoS season happened during Infinity War.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It bothers me too. It just seems so cold -- "Well, we have another one out there!" Of course, he's lacking almost all of the experiences of Fitz from this season, etc., but whatever!
The way I see it is, they fixed the broken Earth timeline, so they get their proper timeline's "original" Fitz back, and the Fitz we saw this season was Alternate Future Fitz. So if that timeline dies, him dying with it is somehow appropriate. Fitzsicle IS the one we've been following for several seasons, not just "another one".

Now they'll just have to deal with all his post-Framework baggage again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Re: Fitz.

If I’m remembering right, “our” Fitz went into cryosleep to wake up in the future and join/save the gang. The Fitz that showed up in the future was also “our” Fitz because he’s the one that woke up from cryosleep. He came back to our time and died. Now the Fitz they want to go rescue is the “same” Fitz that went into cryosleep, only when they find him and wake him up he’ll have been sleeping for only like 2 weeks.

Did I get that right?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can we have a moratorium on complaints that this show (or any other Marvel show, really) doesn't tie in to the movies? I think everyone who watches an MCU show knows that the default position is that it doesn't tie in except on the rare occasion that it does, which in that case is simply a bonus, and is how it works in comics anyway.

Anyway I thought that would have been a mostly good way to end the series had it been cancelled! Nobody on the crew was under any illusion that Fitz was gone for good, which is a great way to lead into a "the adventure continues" ending. Definitely not as strong as season 4, but pretty good overall with a strong finish; hell, I wouldn't even mind it being renewed for season 7 but my only request is that they know at the time of renewal whether or not it's the last season, so that there's no room for doubt on how much closure the show should end with.

Edit: ALSO the next season doesn't seem to have any airing conflict with The Orville; can I assume it will not have much of a filming conflict either, and if so can Bobbi come back? thanks in advance

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 20, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think they can go to Frozen Fitz and be like "hey the framework really messed with you so we'll help you work through it" and also Simmons can propose and they can have a real wedding.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would have liked Mack better as the leader if he hadn't been a bit of an rear end all season, given that his introduction to the show was pretty much betraying Shield, he should have a bit more sympathy for people acting irrationally.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Argue posted:

Can we have a moratorium on complaints that this show (or any other Marvel show, really) doesn't tie in to the movies? I think everyone who watches an MCU show knows that the default position is that it doesn't tie in except on the rare occasion that it does, which in that case is simply a bonus, and is how it works in comics anyway.

Anyway I thought that would have been a mostly good way to end the series had it been cancelled! Nobody on the crew was under any illusion that Fitz was gone for good, which is a great way to lead into a "the adventure continues" ending. Definitely not as strong as season 4, but pretty good overall with a strong finish; hell, I wouldn't even mind it being renewed for season 7 but my only request is that they know at the time of renewal whether or not it's the last season, so that there's no room for doubt on how much closure the show should end with.

Edit: ALSO the next season doesn't seem to have any airing conflict with The Orville; can I assume it will not have much of a filming conflict either, and if so can Bobbi come back? thanks in advance

No.

I mentioned it in passing even though it wasn't the main point of my post, and it's the single mention of it on this page. Originally it was supposed to be a major selling point of the show, and seems worth mentioning, it's hardly dominating the conversation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Argue posted:

I think everyone who watches an MCU show knows that the default position is that it doesn't tie in except on the rare occasion that it does, which in that case is simply a bonus, and is how it works in comics anyway.

The average person who watches Marvel movies see that Thor and Ironman and Spider-Man and so on exist in the same universe. They’ve also seen in the early movies that Coulson is a SHIELD agent. The average person who watches Agents sees the very same Coulson staring on TV, and if they watched S1 they saw that Coulson was brought back to life after being killed in a Marvel movie. They also see and hear references in the show to things that happened in the movies.

So tell me why on earth would the average person think that the Agents universe isn’t the same universe the movies exist in? Why would that be the default position?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Boris Galerkin posted:

The average person who watches Marvel movies see that Thor and Ironman and Spider-Man and so on exist in the same universe. They’ve also seen in the early movies that Coulson is a SHIELD agent. The average person who watches Agents sees the very same Coulson staring on TV, and if they watched S1 they saw that Coulson was brought back to life after being killed in a Marvel movie. They also see and hear references in the show to things that happened in the movies.

So tell me why on earth would the average person think that the Agents universe isn’t the same universe the movies exist in? Why would that be the default position?

I didn't say it wasn't in the same universe. I said it doesn't tie in; ie I don't expect any plot points from any piece of MCU media to crop up in any particular show, I expect the broader continuity to sometimes contradict itself, and I consider it a bonus when cross-pollination does happen. I know the snappening is a fairly major plot point but if they choose not to talk about it then so be it; it's not part of the story they want to tell.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why wouldn’t someone assume plot points tie together if the show exists in the same universe as the movies, the show features characters from the movies, and reference things that happen in the movies? That makes no sense.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I don’t care that it has little references, im more worried now that it looks like the movies aren’t even telling the show what’s going on- it’s completely obvious they had NO heads up on infinity war. Even with this one airing after they will have to write and film the majority (all?) before avengers 4 comes out- how much will they know?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You're giving the average person more credit than most, I think.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
This is always the problem shared universes have - eventually they cave in under the size of their own continuity. Star Trek had the same problem in the 90s, where they ended up replacing the opening of Insurrection almost completely because it referenced DS9 and the Dominion War, and most of their test audience had no idea what was going on. And 90s Star Trek was way, way less ambitious than the MCU is.

Like, Talbot is about to crack the world open; he's actually a bigger threat than Thanos at that point, at least as far as Earth goes. Why didn't anyone immediately call Iron Man, or Capt. America, the second they got back from the future? Just like, why was Jessica Jones fighting the Purple Man and not Shield? Or why was nobody the least bit interested that a bunch of undead Ninjas were going to blow up New York to get some Dragon Bones? The answer, of course, is 'that's Netflix', but if you start overthinking the continuity the whole facade collapses. That's why there's roughly a bazillion different Marvel Universes - eventually the continuity gets so big that it starts ruining the stories the writers want to tell.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

Really you guys? I'm surprised I'm the only one who didn't like that episode much. It really drove home how bad the season was. Number one problem was that everyone acted like idiots right up until the end. Coulson was the only one among them that can make the right decision and he won't be doing that anymore.

Now the new leader is Mack "I'm not gonna do the thing that can save the world, because I have 'hope'". It's true that their plan of giving the bad guy space PCP and hoping it kills him wasn't a great plan, but remember no one was opposed to it because they thought it wouldn't work, they'd rather save one guy instead. It's just as dumb as Infinity War where one life was too precious to sacrifice so instead thousands of people can die defending him cause that's better I guess. Can you imagine if everything happened just like the team wanted, Coulson took the syrum and now had to live the rest of his life in a ruined world, knowing that his life was saved at cost all of humanity? That's a fate far worst than death and what kind of a gently caress up do you have to be to wish that on anyone?

The show was officially billed as taking place in the same universe as and alongside with the movies, but I guess that's officially out the window now, the writing has gone to poo poo, see above, and the new budget certainly doesn't help. What's left? A bunch of really talented actors no doubt, but I don't think they can carry the show alone for me, so I have my doubts about next season at this point.

All missions now begin with a prayer to Jesus.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

The way I see it is, they fixed the broken Earth timeline, so they get their proper timeline's "original" Fitz back, and the Fitz we saw this season was Alternate Future Fitz. So if that timeline dies, him dying with it is somehow appropriate. Fitzsicle IS the one we've been following for several seasons, not just "another one".
I'm trying to remember everything that happened, but it seems that Currently-In-Space Fitz would not have gone through his psychotic break, ripped the disabler out of Daisy, trapped Mac, etc., etc., etc. Now while this may seem like a good thing, he and the other eventually worked through it together. Currently-In-Space Fitz has not. He is still the guy who would kidnap Daisy and perform surgery on her without consent. And that's simply on top of all of the other things he has not experienced and learned through the season. They both started as the "original" Fitz, but they diverged.

I'm also another vote for "Mack shouldn't be running SHIELD." They keep pointing to him as some sort of moral compass, but if you can't weight the life of one against many, you're going to make some stupid choices. None of the remaining characters are competent enough to run SHIELD, which is why Coulson's loss is close to a dealbreaker for me. I'll tune in, but it's a tough sell.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The fact that Alphonso "The Only Book I Need Is The Bible" Mackenzie is arguably the best candidate for a leader they have is indeed pretty loving dire.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm trying to remember everything that happened, but it seems that Currently-In-Space Fitz would not have gone through his psychotic break, ripped the disabler out of Daisy, trapped Mac, etc., etc., etc. Now while this may seem like a good thing, he and the other eventually worked through it together. Currently-In-Space Fitz has not. He is still the guy who would kidnap Daisy and perform surgery on her without consent. And that's simply on top of all of the other things he has not experienced and learned through the season. They both started as the "original" Fitz, but they diverged.

I'm also another vote for "Mack shouldn't be running SHIELD." They keep pointing to him as some sort of moral compass, but if you can't weight the life of one against many, you're going to make some stupid choices. None of the remaining characters are competent enough to run SHIELD, which is why Coulson's loss is close to a dealbreaker for me. I'll tune in, but it's a tough sell.

On the other hand, spaceFitz once recovered will be able to work through his issues outside of an extremely high stress time travel future/present-prevention apocalypse loop scenario. Theoretically at least. Please let season 6 start with a time jump after the team's had a chance to chill and relax for a bit before throwing them in the wringer again

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
SpaceFridze is technically not married with Simons... Will we get a wedding 2.0?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

While a lot of stuff happened in that time, there really isn't all that much separating the two Fitzes. It'll definitely be a bit weird adjusting to the team having some weeks worth of memories that this Fitz doesn't but that doesn't seem insurmountable to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Waking up space Fitz could shatter the timeline.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

hope and vaseline posted:

On the other hand, spaceFitz once recovered will be able to work through his issues outside of an extremely high stress time travel future/present-prevention apocalypse loop scenario. Theoretically at least. Please let season 6 start with a time jump after the team's had a chance to chill and relax for a bit before throwing them in the wringer again

But, he gets the knowledge that his plan worked, and he succeeded in saving the world.

If future-Fitz managed to continue to exist (even dead), Deke should still be around. Really, if anyone other than Robin remembers that something happened, Deke should probably (maybe?) be around.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

While if they did keep him dead that was about the perfect send-off, I can see a bunch of reasons to keep him in action.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The only real difference is a few weeks of memories at least. It's not like he'll be a different character. He just gets to find out about Deke all over again, if he's around yet.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Mack has made some really really dumb calls over the years. At least they weren't voting Yo-Yo to run the place, she is the superstar of bad ideas.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Now the new leader is Mack "I'm not gonna do the thing that can save the world, because I have 'hope'". It's true that their plan of giving the bad guy space PCP and hoping it kills him wasn't a great plan, but remember no one was opposed to it because they thought it wouldn't work, they'd rather save one guy instead.

While it was unsaid I can only assume that giving him space PCP and delivering it to "EVERY CELL IN HIS BODY" was probably responsible for blowing the planet apart in every other timeline.

Really the moment the world was actually saved was when May smashed the Odium.

I still don't know why they thought "10 minutes of supercharge then a heart attack blow out death" would be a good idea. Not one person brought up maybe it's not a wise idea to supercharge the planet smasher.

ED: Also poor Talbot and Creel. I'll miss both characters. At least Talbot got rad death.

Oasx posted:

I would have liked Mack better as the leader if he hadn't been a bit of an rear end all season, given that his introduction to the show was pretty much betraying Shield, he should have a bit more sympathy for people acting irrationally.

I'd say Simmons would make the best choice but she's been pretty bad lately too.

Deke for leader of SHIELD

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 20, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Thing is, a lot happens in those few weeks. And, like I said, he's now still the same Fitz who is willing to do pretty much anything including imprison Mack and physically assault Daisy if he feels like the ends justify the means. What's crazy about that is that he doesn't even have to do those things in order to feel guilty about it -- "he" already did it, and Fitz is exactly the type of person that would haunt. Plus yeah, he's not married. What if they do have another wedding? For Simmons it's some dark parody of her original wedding. You can only be married for the first time once. She'll only be going through the motions, which is something else that Fitz has to cope with. There are a whole ton of existential issues there -- and given that Fitz has already shown enormous resistance to the notion that the timeline can be changed, would he even accept hearing it, or just spend every moment wondering if he never actually made it out of the Framework?

But instead it'll probably be played for a few gags. Which ultimately is okay -- I don't want the show to be a bunch of existential angst, there was enough of that this season. But it's really not nearly as simple as "eh, they're pretty much the same person."

Blazing Ownager posted:

At least they weren't voting Yo-Yo to run the place, she is the superstar of bad ideas.
Yeah, tell me about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Waking up space Fitz could shatter the timeline.

A really funny thought: If nobody wakes him up he'll wake up in a space utopia instead.

Actually all they need to do to get him back is get ahold of another Chronocon and say "Hey! Apocalypse over, if you don't want to wake him up in a utopia could you send him back?"