Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Made a cow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmbN3EU7Bg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

getting to the home stretch on the texturing, still gotta figure out the leg shading a bit more before i start adding details and building in the color maps. then I do the wings and a final pass.

I like how the hands turned out alot.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

I've only worked on kids shows which kids and parents seem to like but 30-45 year old manchildren post long youtube videos decrying how CG is ruining the sanctity of the IP.

star wars clone wars/rebels?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

holy cow! (i actually love the weird base mesh at the beginning)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pushed it a little bit further, tomorrow another animal sculpt if work is quiet again

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've always been curious, does anyone know of or use any kind of local database to keep track of assets?

Outside of platforms where you can search through everything you have ( like Megascans bridge.) are there any ways to keep track of a growing library of sfx, meshes, textures, and whatnot?

As is I just have have everything stored in folders organized by category, but if it were possible to set up a small searchable database with images then that would probably be worth the time investment, I think.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Not really an answer to the question but I've found that installing a thumbnail preview addon like SageThumbs helps significantly at least for PSDs combined with proper naming conventions.

Putty fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 15, 2018

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

SubNat posted:

I've always been curious, does anyone know of or use any kind of local database to keep track of assets?

We have had similar issues at our studio with a growing library but no easy way to search through it so I developed something in-house.

What we have is not ready for release outside our doors but what would you be willing to pay for this? I’m trying to gauge whether development for outside use is something we should look into.

We use it as a library for our furniture and accessories and a searchable library for completed images (I work in archviz) but the hope is to the ability to add other types of assets—textures, hdris, materials, etc.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I mostly just use the built-in asset manager in 3D Studio Max.

Edit: For work we've rolled our own asset management tool. I know a bunch of places use Opentext Asset Manager as well https://www.opentext.com/what-we-do/products/customer-experience-management/digital-asset-management

Gearman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2018

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

SpoonsForThought posted:

We have had similar issues at our studio with a growing library but no easy way to search through it so I developed something in-house.

What we have is not ready for release outside our doors but what would you be willing to pay for this? I’m trying to gauge whether development for outside use is something we should look into.

We use it as a library for our furniture and accessories and a searchable library for completed images (I work in archviz) but the hope is to the ability to add other types of assets—textures, hdris, materials, etc.

Sorry for the upcoming question tsunami:

Hm, that's a tough one, since it would just be a personal thing (This would be mosty for my hobbyist stuff.). And pretty hard to guess considering I know nothing of how it works.
It depends a lot on how easy it is to set up, how network friendly it is, how easy it is to maintain/update, and how well it's search & preview works.
If you had something close to say, how megascan's site is ( and how their bridge will be next update, mirroring the site.) with the ability to drop in my own preview images:
Then I would probably drop 100$ or 200$ without question if it's a buy once own forever thing. Alternatively a 10-20 usd/mo subscription that I'd probably use for ages, if there were updates.
It would save me so much time over the years it really wouldn't be funny.

In that case it would probably also be something I'd try to push through at work, instead of just the giant server filled with misc assets, materials, people and etc.

It kind of depends on the featureset, and how it is to use. Does it have a server + client program, so that it could be hosted on my NAS/Server, and used over network without too much issue?
Would I have to buy multiple licenses to use it on multiple pcs on my home network ( ie NAS/Renderserver + desktop + sometimes laptop.)
Or would 1 license cover 1 server plus say 1-3 local client licenses, or possibly just 1-2 floating node licenses on the network. (For the cheaper, hobbyist/single freelancer license.)
Do you need a dedicated client program to access it, or does the server host a webpage as it's interface?

How is the process for setting up and adding new assets? Just dropping in a folder, setting it up in program, and adding text + tags? How do you manage/edit assets after the fact?
How are file transfers handled, does opening an asset just open explorer in it's folder, or does it work more like a source control program like perforce, and transfer the files, with folder structure to your pc?

If it's relatively painless to use ( After all, the startup phase of migrating a library to it is going to be pretty long, frustrating and tedious for anyone.) then I would imagine there's a good market for it.
Whichever kind of search it has would also be pretty important, being able to search for tags or grouping you set up, plus have preview images load in would be so incredibly useful.
Otherwise if you're just navigating a folder structure with some images here and there you might as well just have normal folders set up.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Today's animal

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just in time for Mermay

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

Today's animal

Are you using Mudbox?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

Are you using Mudbox?

Nah Zbrush, using a shader that looks like the Mudbox default though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm just going to cite you for now, but your next screenshot had better be in the matcap red wax. :mad: Why that's the awful default material I'll never figure out

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm just going to cite you for now, but your next screenshot had better be in the matcap red wax. :mad: Why that's the awful default material I'll never figure out

Pixologic's persistent use of redWax as a default shader has got to be a troll because nobody likes it

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

Nah Zbrush, using a shader that looks like the Mudbox default though

If you didn't make it, could you post where you got it?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm on my phone so I can't open the .rar to check but I'm pretty sure it's in this pack. It's mudbox4 I believe, by Andrei Cristea

http://www.undoz.com/blog/tag/matcap

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't open the .rar to check but I'm pretty sure it's in this pack. It's mudbox4 I believe, by Andrei Cristea

http://www.undoz.com/blog/tag/matcap

Sweet, thank you.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Working on this spaceship. The more I figure textures out the more laborious my process gets. :v:

I've got a question. I'd like to do animated visual effects for these things - engine plumes, explosions, that sort of thing. For an idea of the kind of thing I'd want to accomplish, it'd be something along the lines of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIg6pWwezEU. I'm working with Blender/Cycles. My problem is I have no clue on how visual effects are actually done, so I don't know where to start - I don't know what to google. There are a lot of highly specific tutorials for flames and smoke and stuff but they don't seem directly applicable to the kind of thing I want. Maybe there's some straightforward way to do this? Otherwise, I'm willing to spend some time learning, but I don't have a starting point for that either - my usual problems with 3D tutorials is that they tend to be "here's how to do this super specific thing" rather than "here's how to gain an understanding to solve the problem" and I have a hard time applying them to anything but the exact thing they're about.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Has anyone here ever converted medical imaging data (like CT or MRI images) into 3D volumes? I'm looking for free software tools that can take that kind of data and export it in a common 3D file format.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Elukka posted:

Working on this spaceship. The more I figure textures out the more laborious my process gets. :v:

I've got a question. I'd like to do animated visual effects for these things - engine plumes, explosions, that sort of thing. For an idea of the kind of thing I'd want to accomplish, it'd be something along the lines of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIg6pWwezEU. I'm working with Blender/Cycles. My problem is I have no clue on how visual effects are actually done, so I don't know where to start - I don't know what to google. There are a lot of highly specific tutorials for flames and smoke and stuff but they don't seem directly applicable to the kind of thing I want. Maybe there's some straightforward way to do this? Otherwise, I'm willing to spend some time learning, but I don't have a starting point for that either - my usual problems with 3D tutorials is that they tend to be "here's how to do this super specific thing" rather than "here's how to gain an understanding to solve the problem" and I have a hard time applying them to anything but the exact thing they're about.

What you want is two things, the creation of the effect through a simulation and the composition of the effect onto your object.

The way I would do it is After Effects since it's a much easier learning curve than trying to learn VFX for Maya and compositing for Nuke. Get a smoke asset and a fire asset and play around with filters or look up tutorials about how to create an spaceship plume effect.

If you go the hard route you'll be simulating the fire and then taking that simulation and compositing it with a node-based system onto your existing animation of the spaceship. But that's pretty intense work which, while it could look photo-realistic, could take months to years to learn, depending on your free time.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Dumb question - is compositing where you add different elements together to get a final product?

So for instance the spaceship would be one element, smoke and engines another, and then the background? Plus additional details and effects? (I’m assuming you would have an alpha channel or something so you can layer these things like you can in photoshop.)

-

We need a “googly eyes” object in blender for models that don’t yet have eyes inserted. It would be limited for practical use but on the other hand would be hilarious.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 19, 2018

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Kanine posted:

holy cow! (i actually love the weird base mesh at the beginning)

Ditto on the base mesh. Wow.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Three-Phase posted:

Dumb question - is compositing where you add different elements together to get a final product?

So for instance the spaceship would be one element, smoke and engines another, and then the background? Plus additional details and effects? (I’m assuming you would have an alpha channel or something so you can layer these things like you can in photoshop.)

-

We need a “googly eyes” object in blender for models that don’t yet have eyes inserted. It would be limited for practical use but on the other hand would be hilarious.

Yeah, that's what compositing is.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Compositing can also be used to combine different render layers so that you have more control over the final image in Photoshop/AE.

http://www.3drender.com/light/compositing/index.html

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

Animators in Vancouver are apparently trying to unionize, organized by something called the Art Babbit Society. Already they've faced a lot of pushback from long time workers who fear the work all fleeing if rates rise.

But honestly, it's not just about rates. It's about expecting managers to plan reasonable schedules and force overtime pay if they don't do their job correctly. But I also understand the concern. Everyone who has been around the block in Canada understands that we're not hired for skill. We're hired for cheap labor and time zone compatibility. Yeah, you can pay artists in India $200 a week, but they get the body language on the characters wrong and you can only video-chat with them at night.

Anyway, it's a big conflict. Newer employees are floored that they're expected to work 12 hour days in Van while hardly making enough to pay rent. Whereas more experienced employees are going "Well, what did you expect when you went into this industry? It's better than being unemployed."

Canadian tv animation needs it and with the very generous labor subsidies, they can afford it. There's no health care to worry about so at this point it's profit participation, guaranteed wages/OT and retirement/pension funding. I think the artists at Titmouse / Bardell / etc would revolt if they realized what benefits their counterparts in Burbank were getting.

It's a constant joke in Burbank. Look at the Teen Titans Go 200th episode. They literally portray Canada as a giant walled-off animation factory, complete with a Mountie riding a moose down to Burbank to deliver footage. Cut to a bored WB employee rolling his eyes and stamping "good enough" on the footage. Then cut to the Burbank artists complaining about their union funded 401k retirement funds and not having enough time to manage their LA rental income properties. I wish I was making this up but its right on the nose.

At least in film VFX, you are getting OT/DT to deal with studio indecisions and bad planning.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Unionize commercial art all day forever and ever amen.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'm been gone from SA for a bit so I'm backtracking a bit on posts:

Ccs posted:

Wow, no wonder game studios are hard up for real time effects artists if that's the case. VFX Soldier reposted a twitter thread a couple months back about how game studio VFX positions will sit unfilled for months and months because there are so few real-time VFX candidates.

Yeah, I jumped over to games from film VFX. I bumped into test weirdness here and there, I decided to limit my scope to facilities that used Houdini since that is the bulk of my experience. Most places wanted a test just to make sure I can make something work in either unreal or unity. Most of the tests were pretty simple, but what usually happened is one of the companies would waive the test because they would be using something custom and would have to train me or pair me with a graphics engineer anyways.

I was doing tests for a few places until one place in LA was like "screw the test, come work for us, we'll beat any other offer". That was a pretty crazy 2 years at that studio but everything I worked on is unreleased which presented a new problem. Looking for new work with everything I did under NDA that may never get released...

Lots of interest from other game studios but I can't show what I worked on so it was back to "can you do a test?"

I did do an unreal engine test for one facility and it was fairly complicated, it had me building game logic items, custom weapons, state changes on effects on animated assets, etc vs just doing a ball casting a spell on another ball or blow up a thing. After that, I got low balled. Go figure.

Fortunately, I found a studio that is switching to a mostly Houdini pipeline and they just hired me based on my film reel, and a reference from sidefx and my last game studio job so I'm happy about that.

What was funny was having companies follow up wondering why they never heard from me and then have them say "we could have waived the test if we have known you were going to accept another offer". :v:

Either way, I'm moving to Texas :clint: which was an unexpected but welcome change of pace.

The other weirdo thing I bumped into is companies posting for VFX/Effects job positions then demanding GPU programming knowledge and such. I understand being able to script but it seems like a few places want to hire a graphics engineer with an artist salary. Pick one or the other guys. I get a feeling a lot of job requirements get lost in translation between production teams, HR's and recruiters.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 19, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Listerine posted:

Has anyone here ever converted medical imaging data (like CT or MRI images) into 3D volumes? I'm looking for free software tools that can take that kind of data and export it in a common 3D file format.

i know meshlab and instantmeshes can convert point cloud data like you'd get from a 3d scan so maybe those would work depending on the file formats?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm been gone from SA for a bit so I'm backtracking a bit on posts:

Yeah, I jumped over to games from film VFX. I bumped into test weirdness here and there, I decided to limit my scope to facilities that used Houdini since that is the bulk of my experience. Most places wanted a test just to make sure I can make something work in either unreal or unity. Most of the tests were pretty simple, but what usually happened is one of the companies would waive the test because they would be using something custom and would have to train me or pair me with a graphics engineer anyways.

I was doing tests for a few places until one place in LA was like "screw the test, come work for us, we'll beat any other offer". That was a pretty crazy 2 years at that studio but everything I worked on is unreleased which presented a new problem. Looking for new work with everything I did under NDA that may never get released...

Lots of interest from other game studios but I can't show what I worked on so it was back to "can you do a test?"

I did do an unreal engine test for one facility and it was fairly complicated, it had me building game logic items, custom weapons, state changes on effects on animated assets, etc vs just doing a ball casting a spell on another ball or blow up a thing. After that, I got low balled. Go figure.

Fortunately, I found a studio that is switching to a mostly Houdini pipeline and they just hired me based on my film reel, and a reference from sidefx and my last game studio job so I'm happy about that.

What was funny was having companies follow up wondering why they never heard from me and then have them say "we could have waived the test if we have known you were going to accept another offer". :v:

Either way, I'm moving to Texas :clint: which was an unexpected but welcome change of pace.

The other weirdo thing I bumped into is companies posting for VFX/Effects job positions then demanding GPU programming knowledge and such. I understand being able to script but it seems like a few places want to hire a graphics engineer with an artist salary. Pick one or the other guys. I get a feeling a lot of job requirements get lost in translation between production teams, HR's and recruiters.

Games industry hiring have no idea why they even ask for tests anymore other than "that's just what you do". After 7 years in the industry I just politely decline tests except for dream job companies these days. I have too much paying work as it is.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
e:

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 21, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

-

If you want to do googly eyes but composite them in, here's the after effects plugin for you:

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2016/04/another-new-plug-in/

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you want to do googly eyes but composite them in, here's the after effects plugin for you:

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2016/04/another-new-plug-in/

hmm, yes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Ditto on the base mesh. Wow.

That basemesh is from Zbrush's Zsphere system. Lets you throw together fairly complex objects from nodes and links. http://pixologic.com/zbrush/features/ZSpheres/

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Both Mario and the fact that someone actually made an After Effects plugin for googly eyes made me burst out into a full-bore obnoxious Ricky Gervais level laugh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Three-Phase posted:

Both Mario and the fact that someone actually made an After Effects plugin for googly eyes made me burst out into a full-bore obnoxious Ricky Gervais level laugh.

Not only did they make it but it was solely for an April fool's day joke. That's dedication to the joke!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Hey 3d thread I have a question,

I do 2d illustration professionally, but beyond trying my hand at making some boxes I have pretty much no experience doing 3d art. I want to be able to make realistic-ish 3d character portraits to a sorta respectable standard. Is this a feasible goal for me to accomplish at least mostly over the course of this summer, or is it something I should be expecting to dedicate years to before I can come out with anything I could actually use?

Corollary, I have access to Maya and am at least a little bit familiar with it, anyone know good tutorials? Particularly for what I wanna do would be great, but really anything.

If I can get off the ground it's something I expect to be refining a lot here and there over the coming years, it's not like I'm expecting to make movie studio quality assets after just 4 months, but I really only have this time to dedicate to the initial overhead.

Thanks!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
This is for max, but the tools it uses are really outrageously basic and it can be followed in any polygon based 3d software - https://www.3dtotal.com/tutorial/1344-joan-arc-modeling-the-head-3ds-max-by-michel-roger-character-arc

Given your background though, zbrush or mudbox might be good. Maybe do some base meshes in maya then move onto bringing them into a sculpting software to detail up.
You will be able to get pretty good results by the end of a summer if you stick to it and are somewhat dedicated - maybe not production/game ready results, but youll see decent looking results and begin to feel like you've got it under control.
Once you crack the tools (realistically 3-6 solid months) you can achieve nearly anything with a good eye and patience. After that it's all practice to become faster, more efficient, and making better decisions about the art itself.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I concur.