Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kilometers Davis posted:

The way Bloodborne uses music and sound as a very deliberate part of the difficulty is insane. That alone could be nerded out over for hours and hours.

Yeah, the way the music and sound effects ramp up from mostly silent to almost deafening during the final stretch of a boss fight is absolutely wild.

...! posted:

I hate FF9 but love FF8 so I guess I have bad taste.

Of course 8 is horribly obnoxious if you try to play it straight like any other FF game, especially if you summon a lot. But if you look up the different ways to completely break the game then it becomes fun as hell. So many ways to abuse junctioning/cards/the leveling system/limit breaks/etc. that it's not even funny.

Morby posted:

Big same. I’m still miffed they skipped 8 to bring 9 to PS4 instead.

Samurai Sanders posted:

8 was so nuts with the junctions and aura. After realizing halfway though I was playing the game completely wrong I beat the final boss without using any normal magic or summons.

Schremp Howard posted:

Hell I would sink days into a new game that just focused on triple triad.

I'm with y'all here. FF8 was mana from heaven for my 15 year old self with all of its system complexity stat variations. FF9 felt like a remarkable downgrade in almost every possible way, and almost seemed like a cheap knock-off that Square pumped out to capitalize on series popularity at the time. My group of friends shat on FF9 with reckless abandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF9 is cool, FF8 is only saved from being the worst in the series because 3 and 12 exist

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So I stuck a usb flash drive I had laying around in the ps4 to back up all my save data and it says I need to reformat it but it needs to be 250gb minimum, do I really need a 250gb flash drive just to back up my save data??

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

8 is still straight up my favorite. Honestly, my favorites are the ones that have the least to do with your standard high fantasy setting and decide to go for, if not a more modern setting, then something post apocalyptic. 7, 8, 10, 13-3, and 15 are great, and outside of that what I like is mainly spinoffs (Dissidia 012/NT, Tactics, Crisis Core).

I mean, I like 5 for the job system and gameplay mechanics, but I don't go back to it like the others, and the setting kinda turns me off every time I do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Can you see whats going on in dragons crown on tv? I quit playing on vita cause poo poo gets so crazy i had no idea where i was sometimes until the death screen came up

I turned off a lot of the effects, since I'm playing by myself and don't need to see AI effects that much but aside from getting the dwarf and amazon mixed up because they've got a lot of spinning attacks it's pretty painless.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Got the God of War platinum. Great game, very bad Platinum play. A lot of the stuff feels very tacked on. The Odin’s Ravens one is so bad.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got the God of War platinum. Great game, very bad Platinum play. A lot of the stuff feels very tacked on. The Odin’s Ravens one is so bad.

I thought looking for the Ravens was kind of fun actually. There are some bullshit ones you can't hear and are very far away, though. With a less obstructive fast travel system it wouldn't be bad at all. The only one that annoyed me was Nifelheim.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

enojy posted:

No smugface bragging rights permitted if you parried him!
What about killing the wolf in the clinic first try?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
jeff bridges is in kingdom hearts, the gently caress. do i need to play these games now or something.

finished god of war last night, so good. also my first ever plat. can't believe i spent like almost two weeks on a god of war game. gently caress that optional boss fight. you know the one. i am now on post-game depression wondering what to do with my life and then i remembered i have Yakuza 0 arriving tomorrow! hell yeah, about drat time!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

So I stuck a usb flash drive I had laying around in the ps4 to back up all my save data and it says I need to reformat it but it needs to be 250gb minimum, do I really need a 250gb flash drive just to back up my save data??

no, don't set it up as backup storage. just go to the saved data menu in settings and there will be options there to back up your saves to a USB drive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vikar Jerome posted:

jeff bridges is in kingdom hearts, the gently caress. do i need to play these games now or something.

finished god of war last night, so good. also my first ever plat. can't believe i spent like almost two weeks on a god of war game. gently caress that optional boss fight. you know the one. i am now on post-game depression wondering what to do with my life and then i remembered i have Yakuza 0 arriving tomorrow! hell yeah, about drat time!

I'll do you one better; Christopher Lee's in Kingdom Hearts too :allears:.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Shuichi Ikeda, Char Aznable's VA, is at least in Chain of Memories in Japanese. It's always weird to hear his voice in some situation that does not involve a plan to free the human soul from Earth's gravity's limitations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can also play it in the FF Portal app on iOS/Android.

I'll have to check this out, never had any interest in XIV.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:eyepop: time to scour ebay for all these final mix's 356 7 days over prologues i guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

FF9 is cool, FF8 is only saved from being the worst in the series because 3 and 12 exist

Mods!?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JBP posted:

I downloaded Neko atsume because someone in the thread mentioned it and 24 hours later a real cat has arrived at my house and made itself comfortable...

I think this is the plot of the Neko Atsume movie, no?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Schremp Howard posted:

I'll have to check this out, never had any interest in XIV.

It's really good. There's over 700 cards now, spanning just about every FF game including spin-offs and even some different franchises entirely (i.e. Mana) and they continually add new cards every few months. There's a light and unobtrusive energy system, no gacha system to pull cards from, and it even has online play. You get 99% of the cards just by playing, and the rest you "buy" for free off the FF Portal app by watching videos, reading news articles, and getting daily points which you can redeem for special cards. The only downsides I have for the game is that the online play is pretty dead (and there are certain cards that require you to play/win online to earn) and the appearance rate of 5 star cards can be pretty ridiculous.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/S_R_Tweets/status/997255606657605632

:thunk:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

morallyobjected posted:

no, don't set it up as backup storage. just go to the saved data menu in settings and there will be options there to back up your saves to a USB drive.

i looked around but didn't see any options but I'll have another go, thanks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

I turned off a lot of the effects, since I'm playing by myself and don't need to see AI effects that much but aside from getting the dwarf and amazon mixed up because they've got a lot of spinning attacks it's pretty painless.

I had no idea you could. Thats a cool little admission of guilt on vanillawares part

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash sale going on reminded me that I actually ended grabbing that sega bundle that was on sale a bit ago with Dead Rising 1 and 2 so I decided to go play that again. Yeah smashing endless zombies is still fun as poo poo. Game’s clunky as gently caress but I still remember most of the basics and I went ahead and knocked out the genocide achievement to get the real mega buster and then properly enjoy the game by breaking the poo poo out of it :getin:

5 and 7 day survivor must be so incredibly easy to do nowadays when you can put your PS4 on standby and get back to it later. I remember it being miserable in the 360.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I had no idea you could. Thats a cool little admission of guilt on vanillawares part

Hey, you gotta check this stuff out now in this new age of QOL features. I'm not doing any more mash prompts unless it works for the game, so God of War and Uncharted 4? Hold the button for me! Accessibility toggles are cool.

Also anyway, I rambled about something completely different. I don't know if that was in the PS3 or Vita versions since I didn't have anything besides a DS and 360 for the longest time but I saw that was there while looking for the subtitles. They've also got narration options voiced by all of the characters in English or Japanese which makes me wish they had some type of banter or something while you're beating up trolls and such.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

5 and 7 day survivor must be so incredibly easy to do nowadays when you can put your PS4 on standby and get back to it later. I remember it being miserable in the 360.

those early days were always fun because you never knew if this was the day you'd get the achievement or the day your console dies like everyone elses.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
It's hot take time, Kingdom Heart is better then any FF.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just did the first hour of KH1.5 and Jesus Christ this might be the least remastered remaster of all time, unless the PS2 game played even more like poo poo? My brother had it and I never got past the first town where you're supposed to meet up with your Disney pals so I don't have much memory of it.

The water on the beach in the starting section is a semi transparent texture that lurches up and down the beach like 3 inches at a time at about half a frame a second.

I dunno if I'm gonna be able to struggle through the whole game with this dogshit camera (which is apparently new?!) and clunky early-3D-platformer character movement.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 20, 2018

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm trying to finish GoW before Detroit comes out. I'm at the second encounter with the Frost Ancient and it seems impossible. I'm even using the technique of hiding behind a pillar but I just can't get clean shots on it. The game was fair on normal difficulty thus far. What gives?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I just did the first hour of KH1.5 and Jesus Christ this might be the least remastered remaster of all time, unless the PS2 game played even more like poo poo? My brother had it and I never got past the first town where you're supposed to meet up with your Disney pals so I don't have much memory of it.

The water on the beach in the starting section is a semi transparent texture that lurches up and down the beach like 3 inches at a time at about half a frame a second.

I dunno if I'm gonna be able to struggle through the whole game with this dogshit camera (which is apparently new?!) and clunky early-3D-platformer character movement.

They improved the framerate and texture resolution and added a couple of qol things but otherwise yeah it's a 2002 PS2 game.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't do Platinums.

Why risk making yourself have bad memories of a game you initially enjoyed just to get an utterly meaningless busy-work-acknowledgement badge?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

I'm trying to finish GoW before Detroit comes out. I'm at the second encounter with the Frost Ancient and it seems impossible. I'm even using the technique of hiding behind a pillar but I just can't get clean shots on it. The game was fair on normal difficulty thus far. What gives?

You try blocking?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

spudsbuckley posted:

Don't do Platinums.

Why risk making yourself have bad memories of a game you initially enjoyed just to get an utterly meaningless busy-work-acknowledgement badge?

It's shiny and it makes a cool noise when it pops up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No one is going to notice your platinum. It will just bring back memories of how your parents never noticed you either.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hell, make a point of not doing platinums. In Monster Hunter World I never cooked a well-done steak because I knew I would probably get the other trophies organically.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I said come in! posted:

No one is going to notice your platinum. It will just bring back memories of how your parents never noticed you either.

:nyd:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
If I otherwise enjoy a game and just naturally get a large number of trophies by the time it’s over, I’ll go ahead for the plat. There are also some games I will literally never plat because it’s way too tedious (like any Yakuza). That’s probably why I’ll never have a lot of plats (I have 3).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Every time I really like a game I'm like "ya know what? I'm getting this platinum." and then I get bored at 30-50% trophy completion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Flash sale going on reminded me that I actually ended grabbing that sega bundle that was on sale a bit ago with Dead Rising 1 and 2 so I decided to go play that again. Yeah smashing endless zombies is still fun as poo poo. Game’s clunky as gently caress but I still remember most of the basics and I went ahead and knocked out the genocide achievement to get the real mega buster and then properly enjoy the game by breaking the poo poo out of it :getin:

I'm being honest, I only have DR2 Off the Record on PC and played mostly with a goon like three hours. Is DR1 any good?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Every time I really like a game I'm like "ya know what? I'm getting this platinum." and then I get bored at 30-50% trophy completion.

Same. I plat'd Last of Us and like two small indie games. I ALMOST have plats for the Metro games but got bored.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The last two games I got all the achievements for were Horizon Zero Dawn and Hellblade, both of which are extremely easy to 100%. I also support all games that straight up just let you buy the trophies with endgame currency.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got all the trophies for Tacoma this week but it was about three hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

You try blocking?
That worked. Thanks!