Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I always found Teen Titans Go to be hilarious but sometimes I wonder about how funny children will find Robin and Beast Boy talking about the gold standard and Nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Hypocrisy posted:

I always found Teen Titans Go to be hilarious but sometimes I wonder about how funny children will find Robin and Beast Boy talking about the gold standard and Nixon.

From the episodes I've seen, I feel like they at least attempt to strike a balance, if not within the episode itself, then in general between different episodes (with regards with jokes aimed at different audiences.)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Teen Titans Go is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxi-92AV6nc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best episode is still definitely Oil Drums

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most people know how great the second Iron Man animated opening theme was, but who remembers how the first was as bad as the second was good? (Also, is there anything more 90s than the fact that his team on that show was loving Force Works?)

While I was looking for that, I had a bit of a nostalgic moment when I found the intro for another cartoon I remember airing as part of a block with reruns of X-Men '92 and the Marvel Action Hour. Who else remembers the animated version of Diabolik?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wheat Loaf posted:

While I was looking for that, I had a bit of a nostalgic moment when I found the intro for another cartoon I remember airing as part of a block with reruns of X-Men '92 and the Marvel Action Hour. Who else remembers the animated version of Diabolik?

Diabolik! I am actually unfamiliar with Diabolik, I read Grendel and was intrigued by the Euro-Crime stuff it was inspired by, like Fantomas and Diabolik, and I found the first episode of the show on Youtube or something. Wish Netflix hadn't removed the Fantomas serials...

Is that Iron Man intro (the bad one) missing sounds or...? It sounds real anaemic, like it's missing some background drums or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm a petty wee bastard sometimes, so I enjoy the TTG episode where they get serious partly on its own merits (I do think it's funny as a parody of the Marv Wolfman comics) and partly because of how much it upsets people.

Like I said, I think people get more upset with cartoons that used to be "serious" getting a "silly" reimagining. I don't know if it goes the other way, though; the only example I can think of is Loonatics Unleashed which I thought was pretty dull. I remember about eight years interacting with a guy on a forum who was convinced that it was the best use of the Looney Tunes ever because it was "so adult". (:rolleyes:) (He was also tricked into admitting that he regularly masturbated to Lola Bunny.)

Loonatics was pretty offensive to me on a visceral level but I just kinda shook my head, laughed at that one newgrounds cartoon, and moved on with my life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Diabolik! I am actually unfamiliar with Diabolik, I read Grendel and was intrigued by the Euro-Crime stuff it was inspired by, like Fantomas and Diabolik, and I found the first episode of the show on Youtube or something. Wish Netflix hadn't removed the Fantomas serials...

I'm not hugely familiar with Diabolik either but it's possibly the most successful comic series created by two women.

quote:

Is that Iron Man intro (the bad one) missing sounds or...? It sounds real anaemic, like it's missing some background drums or something.

No, that's the way it sounded on tv.

The other action cartoon I remember from that era - this one wasn't on Fox Kids, it ran on the Cartoon Network spin-off channel CNX - was Chris Colorado, which was about this soldier of fortune in a post-apocalyptic world. It may or may not hold up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not hugely familiar with Diabolik either but it's possibly the most successful comic series created by two women.

Does Wonder Woman count?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most people know how great the second Iron Man animated opening theme was, but who remembers how the first was as bad as the second was good? (Also, is there anything more 90s than the fact that his team on that show was loving Force Works?)

I will accept the mullet as a 90s thing, but why is he dressed like he’s on Miami Vice?

That first theme song sounds like it was done by a Yes cover band.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

business hammocks posted:

I will accept the mullet as a 90s thing, but why is he dressed like he’s on Miami Vice?

That first theme song sounds like it was done by a Yes cover band.

Off-duty Tony pretty much dressed like Captain Lou Albano until like, Extremis. Now he's just naked all the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hey, white Armani suit jackets with the sleeves rolled up and loafers with no socks will never go out of style.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Does Wonder Woman count?

Wasn't WW created by a dude with a bondage fetish?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ToastyPotato posted:

Yup, he also invented the lie detector, and was in a polygamous relationship with two women

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, but he had two wives who I think had more than a little bit to do with the comic.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Didn't he also eventually acknowledge that the lie detector was a bullshit device? I feel like there is a story associated with him about someone hooking up a houseplant to a lie detector and getting responses that changed his position.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Didn't he also eventually acknowledge that the lie detector was a bullshit device? I feel like there is a story associated with him about someone hooking up a houseplant to a lie detector and getting responses that changed his position.

I think that was the scientology soul-o-meter where they hold soup cans that measure skin conductivity. Lie detectors are unreliable but are more complex than that and do generally measure how nervous you actually are.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think that was the scientology soul-o-meter where they hold soup cans that measure skin conductivity. Lie detectors are unreliable but are more complex than that and do generally measure how nervous you actually are.

Yeah, the thing that makes lie detectors bad isn't that they are fundamentally BS, it is that they can be beaten OR they can give false positives. Which is why they are not really officially known as lie detectors, because they don't detect lies, they detect physiological reactions. The problem is a terrified person can give a bad reading to a truthful answer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He invented that on the way to the lie detector. Sold it to Hubbard at some authors party or something.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that Stud coming?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

First promo art for Lauren Faust's DC Superhero Girls cartoon

https://twitter.com/worldsfinest/status/998706828627230720

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

First promo art for Lauren Faust's DC Superhero Girls cartoon

https://twitter.com/worldsfinest/status/998706828627230720

Who's the bumblebee and glitter hair?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Who's the bumblebee and glitter hair?

Bumblebee and Zatanna

"The world may know them as Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, but not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara, alongside their Super Hero friends have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister school-aged Super-Villains of the DC Universe. After all, being teens is tough enough, what with school, friends, family and the chaos that comes with managing a social life. But add super powers and a secret identity to the mix, and things can get a lot more complicated.

Sure, gal pals Bumblebee, Zatanna and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz are always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on, and a fist to punch with, but what happens when Diana and her favorite study buddy and fencing partner, Tatsu, can’t agree on how to dole out justice as Wonder Woman and Katana? Or when Barbara finds out her Gotham-Con bestie is teen-fiend Harley Quinn? Along with all their friends, foes and frenemies, this squad of super teens navigates the unique growing pains that come when you’re a teenager trying to fight the battles of the world and the battles of growing up at the same time."

Probably not many people here's cup of tea, but I'm sure it'll be fun for young girls.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wonder why theyre rebooting the show

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Bumblebee and Zatanna

Huh, I don't think I've heard of Bumblebee before, not a bad look for Zatanna though. When's this premiering?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I was about to say I thought this already existed? I guess I've only ever seen it in 5 minute shorts on YouTube though so kudos to them for making a whole show.

VVV: Ah, okay then. Well I wish them the best of luck.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 22, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was just a web series that did 5 minute shorts rather than a full on show on TV.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

This animation looks like poo poo compared to the previous one.

Hopefully my niece will like this. She loves the other series l.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pubic works project posted:

This animation looks like poo poo compared to the previous one.

Hopefully my niece will like this. She loves the other series l.

There's animation available for the new DC Superhero Girls show? I thought we just had the one picture.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh hey, they managed to make Zatanna not look like she walked out of a burlesque show.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

There's animation available for the new DC Superhero Girls show? I thought we just had the one picture.

My bad. I just meant based on that picture. Every character looked awesome on the first show.

I got my niece into it because her name is Kara and I explained to her that Supergirl's name is Kara. So she has all the play-sets and figures (except for Cheetah) and when she plays with them she calls Kara by her real name and not Supergirl. Funny as hell.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh hey, they managed to make Zatanna not look like she walked out of a burlesque show.

the wonders of having women design women

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

pubic works project posted:

My bad. I just meant based on that picture. Every character looked awesome on the first show.

I got my niece into it because her name is Kara and I explained to her that Supergirl's name is Kara. So she has all the play-sets and figures (except for Cheetah) and when she plays with them she calls Kara by her real name and not Supergirl. Funny as hell.

Ah the wonder of how kids love characters who have their name.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Samuringa posted:

the wonders of having women design women

You don't understand [insert female character] uses their body to distract their enemies why do you want to cover them up are you some kind of prude women should be free to dress how they want

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Listen I don't care how the rest of her design changes any Zatanna design without a top hat is automatically bad. I just think a magic superhero dressing like a stage magician is too great.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

You don't understand [insert female character] uses their body to distract their enemies why do you want to cover them up are you some kind of prude women should be free to dress how they want

The "it's only moral that fictional characters should have their own agency" argument is my favorite insanely fallacious argument.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The rest are here, mildly NWS
http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=311

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LOL.

The "it's only moral that fictional characters should have their own agency" argument is my favorite insanely fallacious argument.

I love it, especially when 99% of the time it comes from a dude defending the "rights" of a female character designed by another dude.

Unrelated to comics, I "love" that Hideo Kojima jumped through hoops to make a female character that had to be basically naked because of a medical condition in MGS V. Coincidentally she was also very attractive.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ToastyPotato posted:

I love this argument because it has been applied to literally every female comic book character in the history of the world and all its accomplished is ruining it for the handful of characters that would make sense to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

LOL.

I love it, especially when 99% of the time it comes from a dude defending the "rights" of a female character designed by another dude.

Unrelated to comics, I "love" that Hideo Kojima jumped through hoops to make a female character that had to be basically naked because of a medical condition in MGS V. Coincidentally she was also very attractive.

It's still way less creepy than the slime women of MGS4.