Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Any of you nerds gonna be at maker fair tomorrow? There's a solid spread of manufacturers, and the bay area reprap users group is there with a pretty good booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Well with some futzing with Slic3r's settings I'm now getting great quality on my prints so I guess I'm a convert. :radcat:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've also been setting up Slic3r again today. However, there's one minor thing that bugs me, and that is during support generation, it seems to create unnecessary motion.

See the support in the middle in black. I fail to see the reason to do this, inspecting the slice. Any idea how I can get rid of this?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You could try changing the "pattern angle" by 45 degrees and see if that helps.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I've noticed Slic3r is a decent bit less efficient than Cura is on travel moves. Not sure anything can really fix that aside from tweaks for specific situations like BMan's idea.

I just don't worry about it though since the other results have been worth that minor nag.

edit: are there any good calculators for determining press fit sizes that don't require you to be a mechanical engineer? I'm seeing plenty out there but man they are way over my head.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 20, 2018

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Honestly your best bet is to do a bunch of prints and see what works best for your printer. I usually have a “kerf” parameter for my models in fusion 360 so I can update it on the fly. For my mk2s I’ve found .1mm works best.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Is that a setting I've overlooked or just something you're building into your models?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Parts Kit posted:

I've noticed Slic3r is a decent bit less efficient than Cura is on travel moves. Not sure anything can really fix that aside from tweaks for specific situations like BMan's idea.

I just don't worry about it though since the other results have been worth that minor nag.

edit: are there any good calculators for determining press fit sizes that don't require you to be a mechanical engineer? I'm seeing plenty out there but man they are way over my head.

Every machine is a bit different but I've personally found its

0.1 and it might press fit with a bit of sanding
0.2 for a reliable press fitting
0.3 enough of a hat to rotate in a socket
0.4 loose fit

Try on of these out and see how you fare
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2318105

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Welp, print completed successfully for "finished without failing" values of "successfully".

Super bumpy/wispy print, but I can scrape them off with my thumb so it's not a big deal I think.

Pic on the table.

And rough assembled, still have to clean the pieces up but the test fit looks good.

Sorry for the blur in the second photo, the nerve damage I have makes it difficult to hold things steady.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
That’s a great compact build! :monocle:

Do you have the STL? I think my friend would be interested in printing one of those on his Form2

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DarkHorse posted:

That’s a great compact build! :monocle:

Do you have the STL? I think my friend would be interested in printing one of those on his Form2

I do, but I can't seem to share it as a Remix on Thingiverse. The guy that did the original STL file set has it license locked where you can't post remixes.

The original design is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2381619

I rescaled each file to 72% of the original size and arranged them on the build plate so they would all fit from the selection I was using.

Parts list is:

2x - Pegs
1x - SR-71 Sliced Nose Part 1
1x - SR-71 Sliced Nose Part 2
1x - SR-71 Tail
1x - SR-71 MidSection

I currently have one of the Lockheed Stands printing, but that's a separate piece anyway because it takes up most of the build plate even when printed alone.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Both my kittens have managed to get toes trapped in slots in our radiators, this type is common in the UK. I designed some little caps that you can gang-print in large numbers on even relatively small machines.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2921622

Now I don't have to worry about them losing a toe while I'm out.

Bonus Penny

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You're a good and thoughtful person for doing that :buddy:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Jestery posted:

Every machine is a bit different but I've personally found its

0.1 and it might press fit with a bit of sanding
0.2 for a reliable press fitting
0.3 enough of a hat to rotate in a socket
0.4 loose fit

Try on of these out and see how you fare
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2318105
Awesome, thank you!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Is a Pi0 enough to do Octoprint + camera + WiFi? i have 9 printers, and that's going to add up quickly if i can't use these $12 things.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I think it's time to learn about 3d modelling with something more complex than TinkerCad. How is the learning curve on OpenScad?

mewse
May 2, 2006

insta posted:

Is a Pi0 enough to do Octoprint + camera + WiFi? i have 9 printers, and that's going to add up quickly if i can't use these $12 things.

When the zero W was new it would chug because it's single core and the wifi driver consumes a ton of cpu, it would kinda be a choice between using the camera or running acceptably fast.

Since then I've seen posts on community groups on FB that are saying it's all good but I'm still skeptical. Considering you're looking at 9 printers you should probably do a side-by-side comparison with a pi 3 before investing in 9 zero Ws.

mewse
May 2, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

I think it's time to learn about 3d modelling with something more complex than TinkerCad. How is the learning curve on OpenScad?

I haven't been interested in learning scad after listening to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk3A41U0iO4&t=1056s

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That's a fantastic talk for a bunch of reasons (come to the keyboard thread, there are dozens of us) but as soon as I saw:

code:
//The value of 'a' reflects only the last set value
a = 0;
echo(a);  //5
a = 3;
echo(a);  //5
a = 5;
I was like gently caress no, not ever. I'm willing to go down a lot of rabbit holes but learning a programming language where variables don't behave like you expect them to is not going to be one of them. The fact that this guy was intimidated by blender amazes me.

edit: ok gently caress nevermind i should learn clojure holy poo poo.

edit edit: the dude has the whole keyboard project with scad and .stl files on github there goes my weekend

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 22, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

Fusion360 (free for hobbyists!) is the next logical step up. OpenSCAD is cool as a thing that exists but I'm not sure I'd ever recommend it to someone who didn't have accessibility concerns.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I never understand the point of OpenSCAD. Most functional/practical parts will have constraints between features, and if OpenSCAD actually does that, it sounds like a loving chore to do. Like programmatically selecting specific edges or points on features.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Haha what?

Suddenly I'm very glad I went straight to Fusion 360 and never looked at OpenSCAD.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's a fantastic talk for a bunch of reasons (come to the keyboard thread, there are dozens of us) but as soon as I saw:

I've got like 6 posts on the last page of that thread already, what more do you want from me?!

My dactyl sits on my workbench with 1 column successfully soldered because I haven't come up with an idea on how to cleanly route all the wires

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tuyop posted:

Fusion360 (free for hobbyists!) is the next logical step up. OpenSCAD is cool as a thing that exists but I'm not sure I'd ever recommend it to someone who didn't have accessibility concerns.

Hey that's good info, thanks!

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I've used OpenSCAD pretty actively for a few years now and have also contributed a few pull requests to the project. I can help with any specific design problems or questions for anyone interested in learning it.
I was also initially really turned off by the const'ness of variables, but I guess I just learned to accept it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I’ve done parametric modeling as part of my job, and I really like OnShape for its capabilities as a free software solution and with pretty decent app support.

I can no longer judge how hard it is for complete new people to get into it, but it has 90% of the power of $2,000/license modeling packages. I’m not certain how good it is at outputting solid models however.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm all in on Openscad and have used it for years.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I like OpenSCAD because I write software for a living so writing 3D models made sense for me. I learned AutoCAD back in '98 and I remember learning that as "write your 2D and 3D drawings". When I used SketchUp, it was always a matter of clicking to get the operation that I wanted started and then typed in the exact dimensions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do not like openSCAD in the slightest because I think it's the most rear end-backwards way of working with graphics imaginable.

Like yeah, you can do it, in the same way that you can do page layout in LaTeX or build a user interface entirely with openGL calls. But it's insane to do so when there are far better tools for the job.

It's cool as a novelty or if you are purely a hobbyist who treats 3D modeling as a sort of puzzle to figure out, but man, I will put real money down against any openSCAD person who thinks they can build anything useful either faster or more accurately than I can using SolidWorks or Rhino.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
People that promote OpenSCAD to anybody that isn't already a person that enjoys coding are assholes.

Fusion360 and Onshape are the most balanced "easy to learn" vs. "powerful" 3d modeling tools out right now that are also free.

Recommending a script-programming based tool for generating 3d models is hosed up.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

People that promote OpenSCAD to anybody that isn't already a person that enjoys coding are assholes.

Fusion360 and Onshape are the most balanced "easy to learn" vs. "powerful" 3d modeling tools out right now that are also free.

Recommending a script-programming based tool for generating 3d models is hosed up.

I would agree. It was pitched to me as "Oh, you're a software guy. You might like OpenSCAD."

Can Fusion360 be driven with commands like AutoCAD can? I've been meaning to try it since it can handle the 2.5D G code generation for our X-Carves. AutoCAD basically let you script things much like Ope nSCAD except it was more like a command line than a write-then-compile.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mr. Powers posted:

I would agree. It was pitched to me as "Oh, you're a software guy. You might like OpenSCAD."

Can Fusion360 be driven with commands like AutoCAD can? I've been meaning to try it since it can handle the 2.5D G code generation for our X-Carves. AutoCAD basically let you script things much like Ope nSCAD except it was more like a command line than a write-then-compile.

It has some but isn't as thorough as the command-line interface in AutoCAD (or DraftSight).

Keep in mind that the command-line interface in AutoCAD is a legacy interface feature from back when AutoCAD was entirely command-line driven.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

insta posted:

Foosel herself recommends against running a Zero W with a camera. She did some testing a little over a year ago and found it to be... lackluster. Her most recent post in that thread is from two weeks ago and she still says not to bother.

Like mewse said, there are people who say they're having great success, but personally I don't even really like the way it runs (although perfectly reliable) on a 2B+ anymore. Moving to a 3B a little while ago was a huge step up in overall performance and responsiveness. Nine of them though, that's a whole new printer if you like the cheap ones.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It has some but isn't as thorough as the command-line interface in AutoCAD (or DraftSight).

Keep in mind that the command-line interface in AutoCAD is a legacy interface feature from back when AutoCAD was entirely command-line driven.

These look comparable to the SketchUp shortcuts which are basically just hotkeys to save you from clicking on the toolbar. Depending on how they handle some of the other data entry it might be passable. I'll give it a try.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

insta posted:

If your printers are all located near each other, I'd actually recommend getting a decent real computer (running linux) and run multiple instances of OctoPrint on different ports. Jam all your poo poo into a USB hub, make sure each OctoPrint instance is connected to the right serial port, and you're good to go. I found this article that outlines some of the process: https://blog.patshead.com/2016/02/control-multiple-3d-printers-using-a-single-raspberry-pi-with-octoprint.html

Edit: repetier-server is also an option

porksmash fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 22, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The image they have on their own goddamn front page shows what you're getting:

1) Every curved surface is severely faceted. Yeah, you can maybe export at a higher resolution as a band-aid, but a polygon model is inherently unsuitable for any kind of serious mechanical CAD work. OpenSCAD does not do NURBS surfacing, only polygons.

2) The code shown there indicates that they imported most of that geometry from external DXF files, which had to be drawn with a proper CAD program of some kind, rather than generating it on the fly.

3) It's still not a very good model of a fan. The blades in particular are obviously not airfoils and there's no detailed features like bearings or assembly bosses or whatever.

The idea of making a program that generates models parametrically and procedurally is neat. The OpenSCAD implementation is not one that's really suitable for any professional work. If you're interested in procedural generation of geometry, pick up the demo of Rhino and download Grasshopper and prepare to have your mind blown.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

The image they have on their own goddamn front page shows what you're getting:

That screenshot is hosed up, I can't understand why anyone would build a model that way or why they'd use a wall of import statements to show off their modeling program.
As someone who only uses openscad, I'm well aware I'd need to use something else if I wanted to design moving parts, or intricate screw threads, or anything pretty.
But every time I open fusion, the ui immediately pisses me off.

(Also yes, the default facet number for curved surfaces is designed for instant rendering on, like, a Pentium 3. You can fix that, to a point.)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I downloaded a menger sponge scad file from thingiverse once and attempted to render a level 3 one. Eventually I got tired of waiting and killed the program, and that was the last time I touched OpenSCAD.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

I do not like openSCAD in the slightest because I think it's the most rear end-backwards way of working with graphics imaginable.

Like yeah, you can do it, in the same way that you can do page layout in LaTeX or build a user interface entirely with openGL calls. But it's insane to do so when there are far better tools for the job.

It's cool as a novelty or if you are purely a hobbyist who treats 3D modeling as a sort of puzzle to figure out, but man, I will put real money down against any openSCAD person who thinks they can build anything useful either faster or more accurately than I can using SolidWorks or Rhino.
Well, the thing is you already did put ***REAL*** money down for SolidWorks or Rhino (or you're a filthy criminal pirate). Not everyone has that luxury.

Comparing an open source project maintained by unpaid volunteers with its biggest commercial CAD behemoth contemporaries is pretty disingenuous. The thing that OpenSCAD provides is a non-vendor-locked-in way to share actual source for models that can be customized by end users if they want. I think this is an important niche, particularly when looked at from perspective of the RepRap project. In order to call RepRap printer design "open source", sharing the STLs for printed parts is a bare minimum. Much nicer is to provide scad sources that can anyone can potentially load and customize to fit their specific need(e.g. differing metric/imperial hardware availability etc.). Nophead's Mendel90 is a great example of this and I like to see more full machine designs done in OpenSCAD in the future (I'm working on one of my own right now, among dozens of other projects).

It is obviously not a direct alternative to any commercial offerings, but for people who care about creating shareable/customizable designs in the spirit of open source, its the most viable option I see at the moment.

AND YES I realize I must have some rare combination of autism/masochism/geometry dork in me that makes me like solving the added challenges that scripted CAD presents, and most others don't share that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Reminder that Fusion360 and Onshape are free to use.

EDIT: There's also https://mecsoft.com/visualcad/