Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shin Godzilla is infinitely adaptable, and it was like "Oh poo poo, I thought I was awesome being one big thing, but a lot of little things are giving me a hard time. Guess I better become a bunch of (relatively) little things."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Choco1980 posted:

Those are definitely not humans.

Humans, recreated in Godzilla's image

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Choco1980 posted:

Those are definitely not humans.

Look closer friend.

Not 100% homo sapiens but definitely human form from Shin evolving.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doesn’t the art book basically spell out that if left unchecked Godzilla would have just continue evolving until it consumed the universe?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Yeah, that's where I heard it. And they're obviously being absorbed, there's a shot where you see his tail start to open.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You and I have very different definitions of "human" clearly. 20 foot tall monstrosities with a hundred teeth and godzilla spines and super long claws and exoskeletons look human to you because they're vaguely humanoid shaped. Good to know.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Sorry, didn't notice the absence of "not" in my post. To be clear, there's a shot while G's still frozen before the final battle where you see his tail notch open, it's ominous as hell but kinda forgettable until the final shot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Choco1980 posted:

You and I have very different definitions of "human" clearly. 20 foot tall monstrosities with a hundred teeth and godzilla spines and super long claws and exoskeletons look human to you because they're vaguely humanoid shaped. Good to know.

They are dead humans absorbed and shat out in the form of what you see.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Choco1980 posted:

That’s a picture of my wife you rear end in a top hat!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

And what organism do you think those clones are imitating? They aren't fish.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

brocked posted:

Sorry, didn't notice the absence of "not" in my post. To be clear, there's a shot while G's still frozen before the final battle where you see his tail notch open, it's ominous as hell but kinda forgettable until the final shot.

If I remember correctly there is also a mouth coming out of the tail? I almost want to say it looks like an Eva or angel mouth, at least more humanoid than Godzilla's. I remember a mouth at the end of the tail (maybe that was the jaw opening when the tail notch opens?) and in that final shot the tail almost resembles a peduncle on an agave or something similar with the humanoids coming out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Peacoffee posted:

If I remember correctly there is also a mouth coming out of the tail? I almost want to say it looks like an Eva or angel mouth, at least more humanoid than Godzilla's. I remember a mouth at the end of the tail (maybe that was the jaw opening when the tail notch opens?) and in that final shot the tail almost resembles a peduncle on an agave or something similar with the humanoids coming out.

You can see it in the second picture Vinter posted above yeah. I think it's suggested Shin grew the mouth so it could fire the atomic breath from the tail.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also looks like one of them is a cyclops.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Godzilla vs X-men could be fun to watch, if it's a hard R movie

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't think absorption had anything to do with it? It was evolution and adaptation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, y'all are adding too many steps to it. Remember the scene with Godzilla's genome and how fuckin' big it was? The point of that is that Godzilla can adapt to literally anything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The absortion thing comes from a decent theory. No one knows for sure in the end.

https://www.inverse.com/article/35139-shin-godzilla-tail-skeletons-ending-scene-goro-maki

quote:

Early on in the film, they discuss a professor named Goro Maki, who was run out of Japan after his wife died of radiation sickness. While working in America, he began research on a pre-historic monster at the bottom of the sea that was powered by nuclear waste; he was the godfather of Godzilla, but was presumed to have committed suicide because no one would believe him.

The fan theory is that instead of killing himself, Goro Maki became a part of Godzilla, and it is his head at the end of the monster’s tail in its fifth evolution. The video above goes into further detail about this theory.

Others believe that the humanoids are based on the skeletons of humans who fused with Godzilla’s radioactive tail during its rampage across Tokyo. It’s just as good a theory as any — which is to say that we really won’t know the answer, at least until a Shin Godzilla sequel hits theaters. And given that this was the highest earning Godzilla film yet, there’s every chance that a follow-up is in development.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I had a weird dream I think was a repeat that King Kong had to fight a tiny (to him) but extraordinarily deadly vaguely humanoid jellyfish creature that floated in the air and danced a lot.

Has there been a jellyfish monster? They're already alien as hell. Or a siphonophore.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There's Dogorah the Space Monster

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wizchine posted:

When you have 3 monsters literally chewing scenery, do you really need your lead actor chewing scenery, too? I thought he did a fine job.

Because the only two choices were, "Chew the scenery," or, "Be almost completely devoid of any emotion." Dude wasn't underplaying or being subtle, he was blank.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finally got to see Shin Godzilla (dubbed, unfortunately) last night and I really enjoyed it. It was a very different take on Godzilla and I hope that they do a sequel. I liked the different stages of metamorphosis that Godzilla went through and the designs were very good. The path of destruction was filmed really well, it felt very real. Most impressive was that it only cost $15 million.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Huh. Scrolling through Netflix right now, and the Anime Godzilla (part 1) pops up, and suddenly it's in English?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
As far as I know it's always had an English dub.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I rewatched Mothra for the first time in a few years and it's still my favorite Showa era film aside from the 54 Godzilla. It's just so rich in color and scope. My only gripe is that the bad guy gets served mob justice rather than divine justice. I'd love Mothra to have inadvertently killed in by presence alone, but I understand why they did it the way they did.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nelson was originally gonna die pretty much like that, just blown off a mountain by Mothra

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That would be a pretty sweet ironic death.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Toho Ditching ‘Shin Godzilla 2’ in Favor of a Massive Kaiju-filled Cinematic Universe

“After 2021, we’re thinking of a potential strategy that [releases] Godzilla movies uninterrupted at a rate of every 2 years, although there is a preference for a yearly pace as well,” Toho’s Keiji Ota told Nikkei Style this week. “The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of “shared universe”. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single worldview much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other.”

That’s the good news here. The bad news? If you loved Shin Godzilla, you’ll probably be bummed to hear that Shin Godzilla 2 will apparently *not* be happening.

Ota explained, “Shin Godzilla was a huge hit, but instead of thinking of doing the obvious idea of making a Shin Godzilla 2, instead think about a world that can be used for a long time. I’d rather make a World of Godzilla.”

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3499850/toho-ditching-shin-godzilla-2-favor-massive-kaiju-filled-cinematic-universe/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Bad

Idea

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think I'm fine with that. Shin Godzilla stands well on it's own, and I don't think it'd benefit much from a direct sequel.

Besides, "Godzilla cinematic universe" isn't much different from what it's always been.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 20, 2018

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
It's just weird that they describe it like it was a new concept in the vein of the MCU, and not the exact thing they were doing almost 60 years earlier.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Paper Kaiju posted:

It's just weird that they describe it like it was a new concept in the vein of the MCU, and not the exact thing they were doing almost 60 years earlier.

It's way older than that, but money people THINK it's a new thing.

Also the Heisei series is mostly OK so I'm on board with a second one.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Paper Kaiju posted:

I understand what you're getting at, but it's not like you need to have watched "Mothra" to understand "Destroy All Monsters" (in fact, it might just be unnecessarily confusing)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm kinda okay with this. I think Shin works as a singular piece anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The next Godzilla movie was planned to be King of the Monsters anyway with Mothra, Rodan, and the flying gold hydra dude, and following from American Godzilla instead, so this is more confirming what we already knew.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think this is talking about the Toho side rather than the MonsterVerse.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Honestly I think it's the right choice too, Shin Godzilla is stone cold in a lot of ways and it'd be kind of silly to do a sequel to that particular take with more monsters in it and stuff. Great standalone movie.

I'm just glad this next one is still happening, did Skull Island flop or something? Not a lot was said about a Godzilla 2/King of the Monsters kind of thing since not long after Godzilla 2014 came out.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm just glad this next one is still happening, did Skull Island flop or something? Not a lot was said about a Godzilla 2/King of the Monsters kind of thing since not long after Godzilla 2014 came out.

It didn't flop (and I think it might have done slightly better overall than G'14 did), but the unfortunate reality is that giant monster movies don't really get much attention in the current blockbuster zeitgeist. They're just weirder and more awkward superhero movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Honestly I think it's the right choice too, Shin Godzilla is stone cold in a lot of ways and it'd be kind of silly to do a sequel to that particular take with more monsters in it and stuff. Great standalone movie.

They’ve been quietly working on them, there’s likely to be a teaser around Comic-Con time for King of the Monsters and Adam Wingard is busily working on KongZilla for 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also it'll give Anno less of an excuse to put off the last Rebuild movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm kinda okay with this. I think Shin works as a singular piece anyway.

Yeah. Leaving whatever those pieces of hell coming out of his tail might mean to your imagination is the best move.