Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Oh, I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be a laser. The game actually did a pretty good job of addressing some of the reasons I ruled out the idea, but a typical metal-cutting laser runs at about 1500 watts, which is a lot of power but not that much. I'm sure you could kill someone with it, but I'm not sure I buy that you could completely incinerate a human head like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel this way in the morning too, maybe I'm a genius scientist too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yukawa bought the sob story. :allears:

I'm curious as to how the laser theory accounts for the heart attack, though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

With that setup there's bound to be a case later with her mom or another family member being one of the witnesses.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

They handled this clue better than they did in the show IMO. In the episode Yukawa just kinda drops the idea that it's a laser without actually seeing one in the shop.

If I'm not remembering this wrong, in the TV show he's the one who picks up a cut piece of metal, gets scolded for touching it with bare hands and that makes him realise it was cut by a laser. I think that's how it happens, isn't it?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lasers do not work that way! :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ivantod posted:

If I'm not remembering this wrong, in the TV show he's the one who picks up a cut piece of metal, gets scolded for touching it with bare hands and that makes him realise it was cut by a laser. I think that's how it happens, isn't it?

Yeah but the camera never shows the laser apparatus. He just deduces it from the metal and from the tanks of gas.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah but the camera never shows the laser apparatus. He just deduces it from the metal and from the tanks of gas.

Oh, yeah, right, I see what you mean now, it's true that he surprises Utsumi with it later, in the TV version!

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Foxfire_ posted:

Lasers do not work that way! :argh:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

O.M.G. This is fantastic, thank you! Can't stop chuckling since I saw it! :v:

Which show is this gif from, btw?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Totally Spies, which formed a large amount of my childhood television watching for some weird reason.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It gets remembered for all the bad reasons and it's really not a good show at all.

Honestly, I was expecting the red string to be some kind of wire from a heavily modified taser or something.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Prevously, we did some experiments with lasers, which eventually led to the fact that the victim was probably killed by a laser fired from Tokida Works factory. After a stakeout and some incinerated rubbish, Utsumi goes to the factory and...

Well, at least there was not a big shootout!

Huh?

Speaking of which, I've just heard that they've found the mirror while searching the Tokida Works factory.
Really?

(But, that reminds me, where is Yuge-san anyway? He said on the phone that he had an important business to take care of...?)

Well, let's look for him outside...

(Oh... there he is.)

W-wait for me!

If you come into an interrogation alredy with some preconceptions, it will hold you back from finding the truth, you know.

Well, all right, let's go.

It's kind of sad how oblivious this guy actually is...

Well, let's begin then!

...and that you fired the laser. Is that correct?

Eh, what?

Talk: "Where were you at the time of the incident?"

How do you mean?
For one, you can't see the scene of the incident from the factory. So it would not be possible to use the red laser beam for targetting.

I darkened the room, pulled the curtains a little bit and connected to the PC from my phone.

Talk: "What motivated you to do this?"

You know, I still don't understand what motivated you to do this?

Hm, he's back to his non-talkative mode.

Talk: "Why were you at the factory last night?"

I would also like to know why you were at the factory last night?
Eh?
After all, you can't see the pile of rubbish that was incinerated from there. Normally you would operate the laser while looking through the window.
Eh, yes, how about it, Kanamori?

This makes more sense in the TV episode, because we get to see a bit more of Kanamori. Basically, whenever he gets angry, he has a tendency to throw his mobile phone on the floor (remember how the screen was already cracked in the intro). But this is never explained in the game.

Yes.

I saw the "red thread" last night, but when you can't actually see the scene, it doesn't make sense to use it for targetting, does it?

Habit? How do you mean?

What is it, Kanamori?

Readings?

I could only... do half as much as... before... After all that... effort... I was looking forward... the people in the library... borrowing...

Well, it certainly looks like Utsumi is not quite buying this, despite Yuge being all eager...

Hey, isn't it fun to have an actually competent protagonist! What a novel idea!

But, since Yuge is in the lead, this is actually the end of that conversation, at least for now...

At this point, the game asks us to choose what is the reason that Utsumi is having a problem with this conversation. The choices are things like: "He was talkative", "He was not talkative", "His story was changing", "He was crying" and a couple more. In actuality, if you recall our conversation with Jounouchi last time, and also how our first conversation with Kanamori went, it becomes obvious that the thing that doesn't fit here is the fact that he was talking way more than previously. This ties in with the comment from Jounouchi how, apparently, when lying, men try to explain absolutely everything and talk a lot, while looking away. So, here goes.

(According to Dr. Jounouchi, if a man is trying to lie, he will talk a lot and try to avoid looking at you...)
(This is exactly how he was behaving in the interrogation rooom!)

(I should probably go and have another look at his room!)

Yes, and now we can do it without his interference!

(Hopefully, here I can find out what it is that he's lying about.)

And, here we are. The things we need to look at are marked, as usual. First up, the tape deck, once again.

(A tape deck...)
(The tape is labeled, "Crime and Punishment". The date of the recording is the day of the incident and the day after.)
(Well, let's give it a listen...)

Every human belongs to one or the other group. Of course, the majority of people will belong to the second group.
The fate of an ordinary person... an ordinary person is at all times supposed to be a subordinate to a genius. In addition, there is no right for them to go above the law.

...any crime.

Of course, it's the same segment which we've already heard.

(It's a very skilled reading... and a gentle voice. I can see why he likes to do this.)
(I'll keep this as evidence.)

Then, let's have a look at that window again.

(Kanamori used his mobile phone while watching the scene from this window...)
(Huh? What are those?)

(These have been etched into the window frame with something sharp...?)
(There is 8 times 正 and a 丅.)

We'll stop for a moment here. First of all, this is the instance that mentioned earlier about the game cheating a little bit. Because if you look at the screenshot of this room from a couple of updates ago, you can definitely see these marks. However, it's not possible to examine them at that point. So you have to pretend they don't exist until now.

Second, I guess I should explain what these scratches are. These are actually East Asian style tally marks. You know, like when you do this:

to count in fives. Well, in East Asian countries, you do it like this:

Incidentally, is also a kanji that means something like "correct" or "true", and it just so happens to have five strokes, so you can use it to count in fives. Therefore, eight and one add up to 42 in total. There are various explanations about how this kanji might have come to be used for tallying, but in all truthfulness, the real story is probably long lost to history.

Well, with that out of the way, let's move on with the story.

And finally, let's have another look at the book.

(The book is still there on the table... "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoevsky.)
(I guess it's a pretty big book, so it will take several days to record it all. This might be useful as evidence so I will also take it.)

(It seems that that's everything that's of interest here. I should head back to the station and analyse the evidence.)

But, before she can do that, her mobile phone rings.

(My phone...)
Hello, this is Utsumi.

Ah, Kusanagi-san!

I'm not really sure...

A calm voice?

What do you think, Kusanagi-san?
If that's true, I would also really like to hear the tape, but I'm afraid it will be difficult for me to find the time right now...
Oh... I see.

It's not the worst reason to keep investigating a case.

Yes!

Sorry.

Well, the laser costs money...
Are you serious!?
I think you should call him immediately.
Y-yes!

All right, fine, let's call Yukawa.

Utsumi here...
What is it?

A hypothesis is only a hypothesis until it's proven.
But the culprit has already admitted to what he did... that in his attempts to scare the victim, he accidentally set their head on fire.

Well, it seems there is nowt to do but to go and talk to him in person... So let's do that.

And so, here we are back at the testing grounds...

We need to finish before the dawn breaks...

And, so it's time for another minigame with mirrors and laser beams!

The red circle is the mirror of the laser in Tokida Works factory...

Mirror M2 is the mirror on the ceiling of Tokida Works...

Mirror M3 is the one that was attached to an electric pole...

And M4 is the one attached to the traffic mirror pole.

And finally, we have a mannequin at the spot where the victim would have been.

The laser beam will hit the mirrors in order. We need to adjust the angles of the mirrors so that we can ignite the head of the mannequin.

And so, here is what that setup looks like:

As mentioned, we need to adjust the angles of M2, M3 & M4, so that we can hit the "victim's" head. Clicking on a mirror brings up a screen like the one below, where we can change the angle by turning the knob. Currently, the He-Ne laser is active, so on the small screen we can get some approximate idea where the beam will end up on the next spot.

Clearly, the mirror we need to start with is M3, so here is what that looks like:

And then also M4:

Once that's all done, we can push the button and run the experiment with the carbon dioxide laser instead.

The warning sounds!

And then we watch the laser go...

Of course, the beam is not visible...

...but there is a small puff of smoke...

...as it hits the mirrors along the way. Then, if we've done everything right...

...this will happen.

If we didn't get it right, Yukawa will make a suggestion about which mirror to move to get a better result. This is not so precise, so it might take a few tries, but it doesn't seem that there is a limit. You can simply keep going until you get it right.

(Interrogation start)

Talk: "The criminal also had to try many times".

Well, of course, it's the burn marks on the statue (and other places).

We've also found similar marks on the signboard, the traffic mirror and also on the ceiling of the factory.

Of course, it's the tally marks.

There was 8 times 正 and a 丅.
So, 42 in total...

(Interrogation finished)

Back at the station...

And this is the guy who said we should learn from him... I think not.

(Interrogation start)

That's what you said, right?

We present the burn marks on the mirror. Why mirror this time and not the statue? I guess it doesn't matter, but actually the game limits the pool of possible evidence that we can present to only those which are on the screen, and this time they chose to use the mirror instead of the statue (or even the signboard). I guess it's all the same, really.

This is a traffic mirror from near the scene, but in your plan you were supposed to use the special mirror that you would attach, right?
Right...
But here, around where the mirror was attached, you can see several traces of burn marks from the laser.

We've found numerous burn marks on various objects around the incident scene, traces of your failures with the laser.

I guess I must have used my mobile phone several times that night without setting fire to the rubbish. *sob*
And it was all on that one night?
Yes! Definitely! *sob*

Apparently we are going all Ace Attorney style now!

This time we present Mana, since she mentioned that this may have been going on for at least three months!

The red thread, or to put it simply, the beam of a Helium-Neon laser. Therefore, this didn't all happen just in that one night.

(Interrogation finished)

Do you remember what you said just after you were arrested?
When I asked you why you would need to use the red laser for targetting when you couldn't even see the target from the factory... you said it was a habit of yours.

Well, I guess we finally have ourselves a real confession. Again, in the TV episode the viewer is aware of Kanamori's penchant for psychotic behaviour a bit earlier, but otherwise, this is pretty much the same.

The next day, at Teito University...

Yukawa is having lunch in the cafeteria..

I already told you this before...

It all started about four months ago...

The sound of a motorcycle revving...

Late at night on Flowe walk, two young men appeared...

About one month later, Kanamori tries the idea for the first time at the factory...

At first, the laser beam didn't even go out of the factory...
...but he fine-tuned the angle of the mirror, and then finally on the 43rd night...

Anyway, it was like you said. He tried over and over until he got it right.

He just leaves!

Well, at this point, she leaves the university campus. This bit doesn't exist in the game, but on the way out she gets accosted by some students who are asking her to go out on a date with them...

...but she solves it in an easy way:

Anyway, back at Yukawa's laboratory...

Professor, let's get ready for the afternoon class.
Understood!
Um, Professor Yukawa...
What is it?

Oh no!

And then suddenly some guys burst into their hotel room, and shot them all dead.
But only the girl survived who hid under the bed.
She was only five years old but she promised herself that she will grow up to be a detective and catch all the criminals around the world.

Well.

And here we go. We've managed to S-rank this case. I assume that choosing wrong answers during "interrogation" and so on will reduce your score. The three categories are "reasoning", "experiment" and "special", so I guess that means it's somehow possible to fail the experiments maybe. Ah well, we'll see how it looks in the future cases.

Normally, there should be an end credits here, but there aren't any in the game, so I will direct you instead to the video of the TV show's closing credits, with the show's theme "Kiss Me"
(KISUして) performed by Utsumi's actress. If you prefer, you can also see her perform the song live in a concert, or alternately even Yukawa's actor also performing the same song live in a concert if that's what you like! (Note none of these vides are uploaded by me.)

And finally, one last thing like at the end of every TV episode...

...there is a warning from Yukawa-sensei to not try to perform his experiments at home as it just might be a tad dangerous!

And... that's really all there is to this, first case! Hope everybody had fun with it!

Next time on Galileo:

How about a nice and refreshing(?) swim?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

They never did explain the heart attack, alas.

Oh well, this is still a much better ride than the last game, and :allears: as all get out.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Show Utsumi just breaking out the badge to ward off guys is the best. :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Game Utsumi is a lot more :colbert: than Show Utsumi. For instance, Show Utsumi buys Kanamori's story.

In the show Kanamori apparently also kicks his tatami out of anger and apparently he does it so often and for so long that it has a noticeable skid in it, which was a detail I really liked.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Leraika posted:

They never did explain the heart attack, alas.

Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with that... as far as I can remember they don't even mention anything like that in the TV episode at all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't it have something to do with shock?

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Didn't it have something to do with shock?

Yeah, when you burn to death, you don't actually die from the fire. It's usually shock from the pain or else your vital organs getting so hot they can't function anymore.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Now now Yukawa, you don't get to be angry or upset. Those are emotions, and thus illogical, remember~? :allears:

This was a pretty great start to the game! I like the interactions between Utsumi and the other characters, although as I mentioned before I do hope that Yukawa develops a bit more in terms of social skills. Definitely a palette cleanser after the previous game, and I'm really looking forwards to the next case which involves... swimming. Oh dear. Could there be a stonefish just out of view?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Dariusknight posted:

Yeah, when you burn to death, you don't actually die from the fire. It's usually shock from the pain or else your vital organs getting so hot they can't function anymore.

Usually the lungs would be the first thing to go rather than the heart, since they're directly exposed to the outside air, but yeah, one way or another you're going to be dead long before your body gets to the "unrecognizably charred" state.

Or, pretty commonly, you survive the immediate injuries and die of an infection afterwards, because it turns out having skin is kinda important.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Thuryl posted:

Usually the lungs would be the first thing to go rather than the heart, since they're directly exposed to the outside air, but yeah, one way or another you're going to be dead long before your body gets to the "unrecognizably charred" state.

Or, pretty commonly, you survive the immediate injuries and die of an infection afterwards, because it turns out having skin is kinda important.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense! Actually, also thank you for the previous times when you made some clarifications from the medical standpoint! :v:¨

Out of curiosity, do you work in the medical field?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

ivantod posted:

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense! Actually, also thank you for the previous times when you made some clarifications from the medical standpoint! :v:¨

Out of curiosity, do you work in the medical field?

Nah. I got a degree in biomedical science a long time ago, but in the end I decided a career in research wasn't for me. I still have an interest in the subject, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like how her little deception gets rumbled as the coda to the first episode. Helps cement the protagonists as less willfully incompetent.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome to our second case!

Once upon a time at a big mansion where rich people live...

...a young woman was enjoying a refreshing exercise in a swimming pool...

Just when she was about to climb out...

The next morning...

A poor person could only have drowned in a bathtub...

Yuge, you do you. Don't even worry about what anybody says!

She was a student, then?

Yotsuya is a part of Shinjuku in Tokyo, but, like Teito university, the college is also fictional.

It doesn't seem like she was involved in any sort of trouble on the campus.
What about the family?
It was the three of them, including her parents. Looks like the family relations were on good terms.
Around the neighbourhood she was considered to be well mannered and cheerful girl.
What about her relationships with men? She's quite beautiful so we should consider the possibility of a stalker?
It seems that she had a boyfriend, but at the moment he is in a hospital due to a bone fracture in a motorcycle accident.
drat, so he's probably innocent then.
As far as we've been able to find out from him, it doesn't look like she had problems with stalkers or anything like that...
I see, so there were no incidents really.

Talk: "What is the estimated time of death?"

She was discovered around 10.30h this morning... her parents discovered her after returning from a trip. They landed at Narita at 9 o'clock this morning.

Talk: "What's the situation with security?"

Some of the pipes are on Shinozaki propery, so for the sake of efficiency of the construction, the Shinozakis made the local government a favour and turned off the security for a couple of days on their fence.

Yeah, I'll give you the more detailed information later.

Ok, now it's time to look around. Unexpectedly, there is not much to do this time around--apart from the dead body (which we'll leave for last), there is only the other side of the pool with a couple of small things to look at:

First, we can examine the window and the fence visible through it.

But still, it would have been possible for an intruder to come through here?

...the fence faces a street that leads to a university, so there are many people around, even at night. So, if there is a suspect, it's highly likely that a pedestrian would have seen them.

The other thing we can look at is the stuff on the lawn (although, admittedly, it's a bit hard to see what it is at DS resolution).

What is that stuff there?

I wonder if there are any witnesses among workers...
Unfortunately, as it was Sunday yesterday, there were no workers around.

All right, that's all there is to see on that side, now let's examine the body which has helpuly been laid out next to the pool.

We can zoom in to get a better look...

(The body of Shinozaki Reiko...)

There is only one thing to look at here, and it's kind of screaming at you, so I didn't bother with arrows this time!

...swimming pool water.

(I think this is all for the time being...)

Hmm?

Well, let's see how we do. Because...

(Interrogation start)

Talk: "It's because of the time of death."

The time of death is Sunday night around 23h, plus minus one hour. She was discovered around 10:30 this morning.
Her parents landed at Narita Airport arond 9h this morning.

It wouldn't be such an unusual thing in this kind of a rich mansion.

Talk: "There is no evidence of anything having been stolen."

Even though it's a luxury residence, including even an indoor swimming pool, there is no evidence that anything was stolen.
However, is it not possible that the thief was discovered at the time of invasion and she was killed to silence her?

You know, like an acquaintance that seems completely normal on the surface...

...even this is hard to imagine, because...

Talk: "It's because of her swimsuit."

...so it would have been difficult for him to leave the house unnoticed.
And there have been no such reports.

Well, I don't know exactly... but...
You know, maybe she just got a sudden leg cramp? Even in a bath, you can slip and hit your head. Have you never head about such cases on the news?

Honestly, this guy couldn't be more annoying even if he tried, really.

But...
Yes? What? Say it quickly...
Well, I am concerned about this thing...

It's time for the presenting game! Of course the only real clue we have at the moment is the chest mark, so...

This... mark on her chest.

Then, tell me this. How did the culprit get inside?

Talk: "Through the window".

He is literally obnoxious at this point.

Why did the culprit even come in for?
And there are no witnesses either.

Talk: "No, it can't be that."

It's just my imagination... but maybe just a random attacker from the street, a clever, devilish guy?

A bit of a note on this sentence... Fujisawa here uses the word "toorima" (通り魔) which is certainly possible to use in the sense of a person who randomly attacks people on the street, but it also has a more literal meaning of a demon who brings misfortune to the houses he walks by. Based on the kanji, the word literally means "street demon".

You know, like a street demon whose very purpose in life is to randomly kill people...
I mean, sure, it's true there are a lot of perverts around these days...

Well, now that you mention it...

...it would leave no traces.

It seems like a strange anomaly... if we disregard it now, it may cause us problems later on...

During this time you need to find enough evidence to persuade me, all right?

Fine. In the meantime, I will be working on other stuff.

Fine. You leave this to us (and I guess, Yukawa of course).

(This is going to be tough...)
It may be useless, since it's just your imagination at this point...
(It's certainly just my presumption... If I am not able to find a clue...)

(Interrogation finished)

Wow, this was quite a long and tough one! Don't forget, any wrong answer makes it impossible to S-rank the case. And as far as I was able to gather, this game has some extra content if you S-rank all five chapters! So "look forward to it"!

That's certainly a much nicer way of putting it.

Yuge-san, are you not going to come with me?
I will be... busy, investigating the accident possibility. It's more than enough if you go.

We, on the other hand, don't have any issues with it... so let's head over there right now!

(Ah, there she comes.)

If I find anything suspicious on the body, I will give you a call...
So how are the results so far?

Yes, again, and yes, it also probably won't matter too much since we already know that it most likely wasn't from natural causes.

Necrosis?

The epidermis and the dermis are two top layers of the skin.

Destroyed?

But, and this is just my imagination, if some kind of thing were applied at the close range of a persons chest, causing a heart attack...
Do you really think so, Dr. Jounouchi?
No... I think this is just a fantasy.

Well, she's closer than she thinks, since we already know that our killer had some kind of strange device.

But, I hear that it's a bit hard to get him interested... it's all in how you approach it.
If you want, you can bring him along here...
Prof. Yukawa? I doubt he would come... anyway, he's only talkative when in his lab...
Hehe, I just wanted to meet him once...
To find out how irritating he is?

Well, that's the end of that... and now we really have no other way forward, but to visit the "mad scientist" in his lair!

(Is he going to suddenly yell... or scold me?)

*knock* *knock*

(...No answer? Is he not around?)

Well, here the game gives us a choice to either "walk in", or to "take a peek". Of course, we'll choose to walk in, because that's what Utsumi always does in the TV show, much to Yukawa's annoyance!

Either way, it's time to convince Yukawa to help us with this stuff! The game gives us several options to talk about, such as discuss the weather or ask him what is it that he is reading or even talk about physics. It doesn't matter what we choose, so let's just ask him what he's reading.

What's that thing you're reading there?
I'm reviewing a paper by Kuribayashi-san. So I'm busy.
Huh, Kuribayashi-san also writes papers...
Yes, he's also working towards becoming an associate professor... I am trying to encourage him without being too obvious.
However, it's a lot of work.

(Interrogation start)

Well, that was again a bit sudden, but I guess it's time to convince him!

The first thing is to choose what to talk about, and well, it's our old friend, the necrotic tissue!

I have a lot of students and also I have to work back and forth on repots and assesments of papers and so on.
If I would reply to each email, my whole day would go doing only that!

Talk: "It's an impossible crime..."

It's just a case of whoever did it seems not to have left any evidence about their murder weapon. But there is not really such a weapon where you can completely erase all traces.
So? Tell me more, please.
(His resistance is going away... looks like I'm getting somewhere.)
(So... what was it that Dr. Jounouchi had said...)

Talk: "About the heart attack."

A heart attack... in a swimming pool.

It seems a bit like our characters are taking turns being Snake, doesn't it?

(Interrogation finished)

Well, that was actually easier than last time!

So... under what kind of circumstances does necrosis happen?

Incidentally, vaccine for tetanus was developed in 1924, and soon after the amount of tetanus infections fell by 95%. Today still about 50-60000 people die of it each year, but the number has been steadily decreasing. Most people in the world receive this vaccine during childhood as it is on the WHO's list of essential medicines.

...as a result of experiments.
Hm...
Like a burn injury, the high degree burns...
Also, it can be caused by chemical substances, such as sulfuric acid, or hydrochloric acid... but of course, that wouldn't really be easily possible in a water environment such as a swimming pool.
Apart from that, it can also be cause by things like radiation, shock waves or freezing as some other examples.

That's ok, we can find out more! Notice how this sort of science-dumping is done so much better here than in Batista, which is helped by the fact that the protagonist is not a complete moron.

Talk: "About necrosis caused by radiation."

In the early stages of being exposed to radiation there is no pain and the person doesn't notice any symptoms.
You could see if there were any reports of thefts from nuclear facilities or laboratories...
Yes, I will check the police records.

And she should have been in pain by the time of her death, but inexplicably she never went to the doctor and continued to swim...

Talk: "About necrosis caused by the shock waves."

As far as I can see from the picture it feels like a strong vibration was applied to the surface of the skin only for a short time...
Well, we won't know until we see the autopsy report...

Based on the intro scene, this seems to be what happened, if you ask me.

Talk: "About necrosis caused by cold temperature."

That's not nearly cold enough... although it's certainly easy to obtain.
However, dry ice easily sublimates in water.

Sublimation means to transition from solid state into a gas without ever becoming liquid. Black ice is in fact the most common example of this phenomenon.

Also, isn't it strange that something would have been touching her skin long enough to go from a frost bite into necrosis?
Hm... I guess.

Talk: "Is it caused by something else?"

How about something else?

And it's time for this case's going off on a tangent!

For example, in mediaeval Europe, in village units, a terrible epidemic named St. Anthony's Fire was resulting in necrosis of hands and feet, quickly leading to death and this disease was thought to be the works of devil's hands for centuries, due to the relief coming when the affected person went on a pilgrimage, however, ultimately it was discovered that its cause was a toxin from a fungus that was parasytic on rye, Claviceps purpurea, which has a low reproductive power and only spreads in a small local area, thus explaining why the pilgrimage became the therapy. So in this way, scientific explanation was made for a shocking disease of mysterious necrosis! But it may take some centuries to get to that point.

As with the going off on a tangent from the first case, the thing described in this this one also really happened and first known record of such an epidemic dates from the year 857. It later continued to happen over the centuries in various parts of Europe, until the cause was finally mostly identified in 1676. After this, the epidemics continued to happen, but at a much reduced rate as it was now possible to better defend the rye against the parasite. Last severe outbreak was not too long ago, in 1951 in France, although smaller ones do still happen.

However, as I've said before... based on the picture, I still think it was caused by a strong vibration having been applied to the skin for a short period of time.

Well, as I've said, I'm pretty sure he's right, but the question is more WHY did all of this happen?

...coming with me to the medical examiner's office?
Hm...

(Aha!)

(Oh.)

Let's run after him!

But outside...

Kuribayashi-san, how long have you been here?

(I wonder if he heard what Prof. Yukawa had said... but I have other things to think about right now.)

...but if you want to talk a little bit more, you can walk with me.

(Who...?)

So you are a research student at Yotsuya College?

I also want to hear how your research has progressed after that paper...

What a coincidence...

*tips fedora*

Ugh. No, Utsumi, you know better than this! Although to be honest, it does happen like this in the TV episode also, so...

Really? You want to answer me instead?

Is it something to do with an investigation of a case...?

We have time before Prof. Yukawa's lecture starts...

Well, this should be interesting. Let's see in how much trouble will Utsumi get herself into this time around!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 30, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh no, Doctor Who is murdering people with his sonic screwdriver :ohdear:

(Don't @ me, I haven't seen Doctor Who :v:)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah necrosis isn't a whole lot to go on. We don't know the nature of that device yet either.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ivantod posted:

There is only one thing to look at here, and it's kind of screaming at you, so I didn't bother with arrows this time!

I think the text might be cut off here?

Yeah, the "why" seems to be the big question here, aside from the specifics of the science mumbo-jumbo, since we can pretty easily guess that it's this coincidentally other student from Yotsuya and his weird device that did it. Was she his rival? Did she find out something about his dissertation that would have ruined his academic career?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Utsumi sure got manly in this screenshot.

Jokes aside, I'm glad she's properly competent. I also wish Yuge didn't exist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Yuge is always a pain in the rear end since he's her superior. He's very much like that in the show too. He also has a really weak stomach around corpses.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Utsumi sure got manly in this screenshot.

Haha, the screenshot is actually correct, it's the label that's wrong; this line is said by Fujisawa!

Anyway I've fixed this and the other mistake where a bit of text didn't fit on the screen, thanks for letting me know! :v:

As I've mentioned many times, I don't make these images manually, so small mistakes like this can sometimes go unnoticed!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

quote:

She was discovered around 10.30h this morning... her parents discovered her after returning from a trip. They landed at Narita at 9 o'clock this morning.

90 minutes from Narita to anywhere is LIES

source: spending far too long a time on N'ex :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 31, 2018

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Psion posted:

90 minutes from Narita to anywhere is LIES

source: spending far too long a time on N'ex :v:

To be honest, depends on what you count as "having landed".

If you count from boarding the N'Ex to arriving at Yotsuya subway station (where the family lives), then it can just about be made in 90 mins if the stars align. If we're talking from leaving the plane to the door of your house, then the answer is a resounding no, for sure. (I'm not even considering the other train options or buses because that would be even slower.)

But I hear what you're saying, I was also surprised how far Narita airport actually is from Tokyo the first time when I got there! If this were happening in Europe, it would be practically in a different country!

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

ivantod posted:

If you count from boarding the N'Ex to arriving at Yotsuya subway station (where the family lives), then it can just about be made in 90 mins if the stars align. If we're talking from leaving the plane to the door of your house, then the answer is a resounding no, for sure. (I'm not even considering the other train options or buses because that would be even slower.)

But I hear what you're saying, I was also surprised how far Narita airport actually is from Tokyo the first time when I got there! If this were happening in Europe, it would be practically in a different country!

They were rich, they hired a limo, 1%ers can get anywhere in 90 minutes :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ivantod posted:

I was figuring literally the plane landing, but if that's perhaps a phrase meant to be "from when they got out of the terminal / on the N'Ex" then yeah, that makes sense. I did most of that route myself but it was after many hours on a plane, customs, and involved another hour or something on another train after getting to Shinjuku so everything started to blur together a bit there :v:

Dariusknight posted:

They were rich, they hired a limo, 1%ers can get anywhere in 90 minutes :colbert:

Not in a limo, no. You'd want a helicopter. Narita airport is really, really far out there. I think the most direct road route from their destination is over fifty miles and, heh, you can imagine there's some traffic in the Tokyo metropolitan area. That train system though, perfect. I can sit on a train going faster than a car and someone else drives and I get to eat liege waffles with the peace of mind that it's impossible for me to get lost. There's no reason to take another way, really :v:

i'm not kidding about the helicopter thing though

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 1, 2018

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Well this is an interesting shift. In the first case we were left wondering, alongside Utsumi, how the murder happened. For this case though, we already know how and so it's more about watching how she'll figure it out. A neat change in direction.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Let's continue with our second case! Unfortunately, it does suffer a bit from the "second case syndrome" in that it doesn't have the benefit of spending time on introducting the characters, but it's also a bit too early to get into the more complex stuff, so it's kind of neither here nor there really, sort of like a typical second case in an Ace Attorney-like game. Well, luckily it's actually quite short, in fact it's the shortest chapter in this entire game, so either way it shouldn't overstay its welcome! I am also kind of wondering what made them choose this particular episode to adapt, because in my opinion, there are others which would fit better in the game format, but...

A daughter of a rich family was seemingly murdered in her swimming pool by a guy wielding an odd device. Apart from some dead tissue on her chest, there doesn't seem to exist any other sign of murder, so Utsumi has been given a week to figure it out, or else. It would seem that the murderer is a certain Tagami Shouichi, a doctoral student at Yotsuya Engineering College, where the deceased was also a student. Yukawa seems to be slightly impressed by Tagami, although Tagami seems to have some kind of design on Utsumi...

Oh, and also, I should warn you. Unlike the first chapter which was almost completely from Utsumi's perspective, here there will be a lot of perspective switching, the first of which is about to happen just now!

So, let's see what these two are doing...

Ok, well, we haven't had one of those moments in a while, so, here goes...

If it sounds like they are playing some unusual kind of chess, with odd numbering on the board and some unexpected pieces (silver general!?), that's because they are. Although, it's not really that unusual, at least in Japan. They are simply playing shōgi, a.k.a. Japanese chess!

As should be obvious from this little fragment, and indeed, the game's name itself, it's a game that is extremely similar to the (Indian) chess that is more common in the west. Shōgi is played on 9x9 board and there are some other differences, but overall, it's definitely a game that's if nothing else from the same family as chess.

Here is what the board looks like with the game already in progress:

Instead of different shapes, it's simply written on each piece what it is, and the orientation on the board tells to which player it belongs. Even though the pieces are all the same colour, the players are still referred to as "black" and "white", and normally the black player goes first. Most of the expected pieces are there, like king, pawn, rook, bishop, knight, but there are some extras like gold and silver generals and so on (note though, that some of the pieces that are named the same as in chess don't have exactly the same movement ability--e.g. the knight still makes L shaped jumps, but, similar to a pawn, it can only move forward on the board, not backward).

I'm not going to go into much more detail on this, but to finish with, here is a picture of a starting position for one player, but in this set, the pieces are labelled with their chess equivalents where possible, so you can get some idea what this looks like.

If you can't recognise the symbol, it means it's a piece that doesn't exist in chess. The four pieces that look a bit similar to the chess queen are gold and silver generals (two of each) and the two pieces sitting where you would expect rooks to be are called "lances".

Oh, and I almost forgot, those numbers they were calling out simply represent row/column coordinates of a square. Instead of rows/columns being labelled with letters/numbers, here they are labelled with Indian/Arabic numbers 1-9 and the other one with Japanese kanji numerals from
to . But in western notation, those are usually simply translated into two digit numbers like above.

Anyway, that's enough of that, let's move on.

(This guy, taunting me blatantly, while seeming like he's able to read all my thoughts...)

Huh? I didn't think there would really be anything you can call a safe bet in physics...

What, in Japan?

I guess, professor also has talent for military stuff... but I suppose you don't know whom to approach for it?

I think that ethics provides a center of balance in every field... imagine how it would be for passengers on a plane if the pilot could fly wherever they wanted.

Not too sure about that particular metaphor...

And also, as a scientist, one wants to be able to influence the destiny of humanity.

Now, this metaphor I can definitely get behind! Although I am pretty sure that Robert Heinlein, had he been able to see the film version of Starship Troopers (which I think is fantastic), he would not have liked it one bit!

The way it's phrased here in the original text, it could mean both positive and a negative anticipation--I guess that's the point.

It seems that we should really simply ask this guy about the murder--he's so self-centered that he would have simply told us directly, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, Utsumi is looking for Yukawa back at his Teito University lab...

*knock* *knock*

(Maybe I should go instead to Yotsuya College and see if Tagami-san can help me?)

Well, we might as well start asking random people on the street, really. But, to be fair, this is how it happens in the episode this chapter is based on, so not really much they could have done about it.

(He seems in not a terribly good mood... is Prof. Yukawa's secret encouragement working?)

Hee... You are quite skilled at this, Kuribayashi-san?

(Uh... it seems it may even be having an opposite effect...)
Um, so about Prof. Yukawa...
Can you tell him that I've gone to ask Tagami-san from Yotsuya college?
Eh? What is this about?
Ah, n-no, it's nothing.

Meanwhile, back at Yotsuya, Yukawa and Tagami are just finishing their conversation...

Playing shogi is nice, but let's also talk about our research!

With this, Yukawa leaves.

Meanwhile, Utsumi has just arrived at Tagami's University...

Sorry to disturb you when you're busy...
No, no, I was looking forward to seeing you again!
I won't keep you long, can you have a look at this picture, please?

I guess this is the enlarged part from that mark on the dead girl's chest...

It looks like the skin in the diameter of about 3-4cm is necrotic...
Sorry, I can't give you the details of the case, but please tell me what you can.
Sure, go ahead.

Talk: "Can necrosis cause death in the first place?"

Necrosis is the condition when only one part of the cells die, unlike normal death.
So that means that a person might not die?
Right. As long as necrosis doesn't spread over a large part of the body and its important organs.

Talk: "What causes necrosis?"

So none of those things are really directly fatal...
(Prof. Yukawa also told me the same thing...)
Today, the most common cause is the "crush syndrome" that is typically reported after earthquakes.

The "crush syndrome" is the name used for a typical condintion when a person's muscle tissue is damaged or destroyed due to fallen objects putting pressure on it that the person can't get out from under. As you can imagine, this is more common in an earthquake-prone country like Japan.

There are various symptoms that can happen after pressure is exerted on a part of a human body for a prolonged time...
Due to the muscle damage, potassium, myoglobin, lactic acid and other substances will leak out from the necrotic muscle tissue into the blood and symptoms like clouding of consciousness, cyanosis and incontinencs might develop.
In particular, hyperkalaemia can cause ventricular fibrillation and cardiac arrest and myoglobin causes necrosis of renal tubules and an acute renal failure.

Hyperkalaemia is the state of elevated potassium levels in the blood and myoglobin is a protein that exists in muscles and is similar to hemoglobin from the blood.

Wow, that's some scary stuff...

Oh man, this is the last thing we need--for Utsumi to start crushing on the murderer here...

I should go and check out the results of the toxicology screen from the medical examiner...

Since the game is already railroading us, then, let's do as she says...

Hydrocyanic acid is what is usually referred to as simply "cyanide". On the other hand, alkaloids is class of substances that comprises among others drugs such as morphine, nicotine and others.

That's not going so well, then, huh?

What's up? You seem down...
I do?

Utsumi's mobile rings.

Ah, what is it?

Eh? To come here?

I will be over there quickly, I'm in the neighbourhood. I need to talk to her.

No worries, I can deal with it.

That's fine, but I'm just worried that he doesn't get lost the first time in this building since it's not the best organised...

Haha, she's so focused on meeting Yukawa finally, that she's completely ignoring everything else!

No way he would get lost...

Some time later...

I thought you would come faster...
Yeah, I was looking for a female doctor, but it seems there are quite a few around here...
True, these days we get a lot of female interns visiting here on their rotation.

Female doctors are not so common in Japan... I guess? Or is this Yukawa being completely logical and massively failing at it? You tell me.

Utsumi's having a thought, which we'll be exploring shortly. But, first...

I only heard the rumours from Utsumi-san about the weird Galileo...

It will be my privilege!

Hmm, although something like an electric chair is fatal, people don't often die when they suffer an electric shock by accident...
Right, because an electric chair is carefully set up to send high voltage to the target...
Hm.
Even if electric current flows through the body there should be visible signs where it came in and out.

This is accurate to the corresponding TV episode, where Yukawa and Jounouchi start nerding out with each other and she gets annoying that they are ignoring her! Here's what it looks like:

As you can see, Jounouchi too, in game looks like the actress that portrays here in the TV show!

It happens like that even when you die of a lightning.
In addition, in burns caused by electrocution, it's easy to tell, because the cell proteins are mutated by heat.

Basically, prolonged exposure to heat causes DNA fragmentation and damage in cells.

It's hard to stop it, unless you already cool it down so much to kill the cells anyway.

(But Prof. Yukawa is having something in his mind... I can tell based on his expression...)
(No doubt he's picked up on some kind of hint here...)

Apart from these two nerding out like this, in the TV show there are also a couple of subtle hints that Jounouchi might be gay, so you can probably take this comment in more ways that one.

Ah...

It's fine by me, if you don't mind...

Huh? What?

Can you search the police data? I know that it sounds like a lot, but...
In the Tokyo metropolitan area, there should be only about 5-600. It will probably be double that if you search the surrounding areas.
We'll examine in more detail any cases that are the closest geographically to this one.

Mental note: when working as a serial killer pick geographically diverse locations to avoid being caught. But, our killer is way too full of himself to even realise this, so probably we're on good track here.

(Plus I have to examine 5-600 cases on top of my regular overtime work already...)
(Just thinking about it... sigh. But at least we seem to be finally getting somewhere...)

A few minutes later, outside...

Later, at the university...

Meanwhile, at the police station...

(It's easy for Prof. Yukawa to talk from where he is, but I also need to deal with my own part of the world...)
(Now I understand how Kuribayashi-san feels...)

Well, no time to such thoughs! Because it's time for everybody's favourite character!

What's your basis for it? Maybe you can tell me all about it.

(Interrogation start)

We will assume that the arrow marks the possible intrusion/escape route.

Please take note of this part here.
Hm? Which part?

Of course, it's up to us to point it out, Ace Attorney style. I do like that the game varies these interrogation sections regarding how we provide the answers!

You will recollect that this sign (selected above) gives notice about the gas pipeline construction works.

(I thought of this thanks to Prof. Yukawa getting lost and making a comment about the doctor's uniforms.)

Thanks game, because we couldn't manage to connect the dots otherwise if you hadn't told us.

In fact, this reminds me of a puzzle... um, I mean of a comic. This is another one from the author of "Eat your hamburgers, Apollo" comic, and will be particularly relevant, if, like me, you got particularly frustrated by certain aspects of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies:

Well, at least here the explanation only comes AFTER we already had to figure it out ourselves, so that's a small victory!

Anyway, in the immortal words of John Oliver, "moving on".

In addition, since part of the work had to be done on Shinozaki property, the security was switched off a couple of days ago...
Wasn't that a bit careless?
I guess they must have been off their guard because it's a safe area generally, and also it would be difficult to do anything when the construction workers are present, too.

This is kind of annoying, since we already covered this at the very beginning of the case, but...

Please take a look at this picture.

This is the sign we've seen before, that indicates the construction in progress. Apart from giving the name of the company and the responsible person and thanking everybody for their patience while the work is going on, it also indicates that the works will go on for two weeks, except Sundays and public holidays. Since we know that the murder happened on a Sunday, we should point out the location of that last mentioned part on the sign, like this.

Yes. This was one of the first things we covered.

...to see someone there working also on a Sunday.

Well, in the opening cutscene he wasn't disguised, however, I guess he might have worn the working clothes over his actual clothes and simply took them off, that's not so implausible.

(Interrogation finished)

Ugh...

Thank you...
All right, go on then.

He leaves. And this was actually surprisingly ok for Yuge-san conversations...

(Certainly, I do not have time to relax. I need to keep pushing this investigation forward.)
(Prof. Yukawa is still figuring out this heart attack thing... so he will be impossible to talk to...)
(All right... let's try to consult again with Tagami-san.)

The next morning, at Yotsuya college...

Thank you.

It was reported on the news that she died of a heart attack...
But, even if there is a weapon that kills people like that... when the murderer had it in their hand, why couldn't the victim escape?

This is what she noticed:

Kind of practice for when I have to make tools for experiments...
There is a person in another laboratory that I know who does similar things... but he's not as good.

Of course, she's talking about Kuribayashi... this is not so much emphasised in the game, but in the show he's constantly setting up Yukawa's experiments and such.

We didn't really get anything out of it (except the brooch), so let's go back to Teito and try Yukawa again!

I see... nice.
I might use this as a keyring instead... would you be able to make a hole in it with one of your machines?
Maybe when I have time... but can you go inside and finish what you have to finish there?

Inside...

Ok, I have to tell you, things are going to get a bit silly right now for a little bit (although it is still following the TV episode closely). Just try not to laugh (too much) at the following events, ok?

I told you it was going to get silly for a while now...

All right, well, let's at least have a look at that website that we need to "crack"...

Welcome to geocities.com, circa 1998. The game is from around 2007, by the way. Although, to be honest, many Japanese web sites still look like it's late nineties anyway, so that doesn't mean anything.

In any case, we'll see about this next time, and then we should start bringing this case to a close slowly!

Next time on Galileo:

Utsumi does some password cracking!

Utsumi goes on a date!

ivantod fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 10, 2018

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I like the double nerd glasses adjusting.

Also, Utsumi... on a date...... That looks either hilarious or incredibly uncomfortable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

in the TV show there are also a couple of subtle hints that Jounouchi might be gay

Wait there are??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Can you do one of those 'this is how it looked in the TV show' digressions for the date?

This already looks like it's going to be hilarious. :allears: