Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pew Pew!

It's a shame this has to be at the top of the page but here he is, standing amongst some of my previous, unfinished models :(

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Progress continues!

The goal for today is to at least get started with edge highlighting of the blue armor. Which means just finishing the last few base colors (the red wax for purity seals and the few gold bits, laurel wreath and few other sergeant doodads), gloss coating and washing the mini. Then the real fun begins.

Ideally I'll actually get these guys all the way done today.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My daughter was sick yesterday so I got to spend the better part of a Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood marathon removing the flashing and mounting my Intercessors. All that's left is the helmets and adding bits of shell to the bases and then I can start on priming.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Managed to knock out most of these tonight. Took a couple of attempts to get some of the poses I wanted.

Really tried to push how reckless these guys are compared to my vanguard.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Taking advantage of how cheap this Moon Base Klaisus terrain is to experiment a bit, since I've never painted scenery before.

I'm not sure I like the super dirty look I got with a liberal wash of Agrax, but pin washing terrain would take a stupid amount of time...

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

Taking advantage of how cheap this Moon Base Klaisus terrain is to experiment a bit, since I've never painted scenery before.

I'm not sure I like the super dirty look I got with a liberal wash of Agrax, but pin washing terrain would take a stupid amount of time...

Spray it with gloss, use a thin oil wash.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I tried a half-assed gloss spray (Vallejo) to experiment, wasn't very thorough with it. What oil would you recommend? Unless you mean thinning some Nuln oil with medium?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

I tried a half-assed gloss spray (Vallejo) to experiment, wasn't very thorough with it. What oil would you recommend? Unless you mean thinning some Nuln oil with medium?

No, actual oil paints. Mix up some castle black, burnt umber, and white spirits and then wash it on. The glossier you get the varnish first the more the oils will flow into the crevices.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Intriguing, never heard of those. Something like this, thinned with white spirits and slapped on a glossy coat then?
https://www.pk-pro.de/W-N-WINTON-OeL-Burnt-Umber-37mL_1

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ayn Marx posted:

Intriguing, never heard of those. Something like this, thinned with white spirits and slapped on a glossy coat then?
https://www.pk-pro.de/W-N-WINTON-OeL-Burnt-Umber-37mL_1

Exactly that, yes.

Oil paints provide some interesting effects on miniatures. Thinning it to a wash-like consistency, applying it slap-dash onto a model, and wiping most of it off lets you 'tint' the color they're going over. It can really bring a color from a bright tone to a more muted one, not dissimilar to a glaze. You can also have more control over it through pin washing, which is just adding it to crevices and letting capillary action do the work for you. Also, you can apply the oil paint as-is and then add white spirits to it and pull down, creating weathering/rust streaks for that old, worn look.

Oil washes are more forgiving too, as you can clean it off using white spirits and just start over again until you get it to how you like it. Just note that it can take a while to dry, depending on how thin you made it and how much was applied. Give it a few hours before you go and put another layer of varnish on top to seal it in as once you do that, there's no real way of going back.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I see. Thanks to both of you, I'll order a few of those oil paints to mess around with on cheap terrain.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

chipping away at that oath

e: I'm thinking the tassels should be blue instead of red

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 19, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Booyah- posted:

Boob-plate is unrealistic.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Booyah- posted:

Keep it like this; I like two detail colors on stormcast. Yours are nice and clean.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Went to watch Deadpool 2 and did not get nearly as far as I'd hoped. Did get the dudes gloss-coated and one marine's armor washed at least. Also got the bases ready for a wash.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Finished the two Swedish cavalry command bases (Colonel and Lieutenant), just one more company of mercenary reiters and I'll be 100% painted and ready to invade Poland:

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Karl Rove posted:

Finished the two Swedish cavalry command bases (Colonel and Lieutenant), just one more company of mercenary reiters and I'll be 100% painted and ready to invade Poland:

Nice. Livsgard, or have I totally forgotten my flags for the GNW?

I should really finish up my 6mm stuff: I have enough unpainted Swedes, Russians, and Polish minis to run through some of the major clashes, but it’s hard to keep the energy up, even when the finished product looks cool.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Hedningen posted:

Nice. Livsgard, or have I totally forgotten my flags for the GNW?
Thanks! The flags are generic and say 'based on historical examples' in the box, but they're for By Fire and Sword so it's set during the Deluge. My skirmish force is a mix of Swedish national troops and German mercenaries, but in this case with a Swedish command.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Most people look at 5 hours of progress and see painted models.

I look at 5 hours of progress and see plastic models that have been primed a slightly lighter gray.

Oh well. My average of about an hour of prep per model continues. Flashing is removed, the Sergeant with his custom power sword and grenade launcher is done, and everything was primed with my new Badger 105. I really like it; it seems a lot more robust than my Krome Renegade and is definitely more suited for the bulk work I'm doing. I could see myself using the Krome for more detail work if I ever get good enough to do that.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Progress continues.

This last squad will take the most effort as 7 of its dudes had no paint on them at all. Thankfully by this point I've got a pretty decent workflow going with them, and can take that on to the other 20 guardsmen and 15 Stormtroopers I need to do to bring this army up to 2000 points.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Decided to give a colored steel look a try on the Farstriders for Shadespire. It’s Vallejo Metal Color Dark Aluminum mixed with liquitex Phthalocyanine Green Ink which is a fancy way to say a blue-shaded green, over gloss black primer.

I’m really happy with the way it turned out as a mid-tone, now I just need to shade and highlight it without losing the color.

edit: needs another layer or two! It's very thin.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Finished my Tzeentch Dark Apostle conversion for my Lost Sons Chaos Marines.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Enjoying working on my little Red Grief detachment. Stencils are fun!

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008
Hey Goons!

Finally ready to post some of my own work here. Just finished up the Dark Lord himself, Sauron!

First time I have been really satisfied with the black, but I would love some comments / criticism!

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007
Question about Ghost Tints. Painting up some orcs I used a zenithal prime then ghost tint green. I’ve found that where the ghost tint hit the armour vallejo metal colour is going on really patchy.

Should I have masked the armour first? Subassembly wasn’t really an option with the pushfit models.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
My hobby progress this weekend was limited to building/converting/priming a Primaris Watch Master.

dexefiend posted:

Painted a little yellow.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Cleaned this guy up. My first 75mm. Used a heat gun to straighten the handle on the hammer. You wouldn't believe how easy a heat gun at 350 is to fix a warped resin piece. I think if you're dealing with enough warped minis, this is a must-have tool. Much easier than hot water + cold water combo.

Primed him up with Stynylrez that I picked up a 6 pack for cheap to check it out. I prefer it over my Vallejo already. You can tell it is far more scratch resistant after a single coat. Black is coming out of the airbrush fantastic, the white is a bit thicker but still didn't need to thin, just needed to clear the tip a few times.

Laid down some brown for the leather side.

Practiced more glaze blending with a 32mm base Painted it brown, then mixed up a darker glaze at various water-y ness and did some lines over themselves with various stages of my brush being wet to almost dry to get a more of a feel on glazing. It's something I just do, but I've never spent time analyzing it on a flat base onto flat colors. I just never seemed to have the time to dick around; so I made time. I am happy I did. I think I can handle tattoos when the time comes.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 21, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I absolutely love the Badger primer. I still have the Vallejo stuff but haven't had a reason to even think about it. Maybe I'll use it for terrain or something, or a display board.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Cleaned this guy up. My first 75mm. Used a heat gun to straighten the handle on the hammer. You wouldn't believe how easy a heat gun at 350 is to fix a warped resin piece. I think if you're dealing with enough warped minis, this is a must-have tool. Much easier than hot water + cold water combo.

Primed him up with Stynylrez that I picked up a 6 pack for cheap to check it out. I prefer it over my Vallejo already. You can tell it is far more scratch resistant after a single coat. Black is coming out of the airbrush fantastic, the white is a bit thicker but still didn't need to thin, just needed to clear the tip a few times.

Laid down some brown for the leather side.

Practiced more glaze blending with a 32mm base Painted it brown, then mixed up a darker glaze at various water-y ness and did some lines over themselves with various stages of my brush being wet to almost dry to get a more of a feel on glazing. It's something I just do, but I've never spent time analyzing it on a flat base onto flat colors. I just never seemed to have the time to dick around; so I made time. I am happy I did. I think I can handle tattoos when the time comes.

Where is that miniature from?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Where is that miniature from?

It's a Scale75 piece.

http://www.fantization.com/Father-of-Asgard-75mm-Scale-World-Fantasy.aspx

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Right testors dullcote is a no for me though I was able to bring the dominus back up, does anyone have a recommendation for a spray varnish that doesn't take literally all the shine out?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Artum posted:

Right testors dullcote is a no for me though I was able to bring the dominus back up, does anyone have a recommendation for a spray varnish that doesn't take literally all the shine out?

The new GW one is good, if a bit pricey

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Endman posted:

The new GW one is good, if a bit pricey

There's a new one?

E: huh, might have to give that a try, they fixed this after all the horror stories of people using purity seal?

Artum fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 21, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Artum posted:

There's a new one?

I've used army painter matte and didn't feel like it was incredibly dull, but AP also makes a satin varnish that might work for you.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Artum posted:

There's a new one?

Sure is: Munitorum Varnish

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Harkano posted:

Enjoying working on my little Red Grief detachment. Stencils are fun!

how the gently caress?! what stencils?! What madness?!?!

does everyone in this thread use dang air brushes?

These are incredible. The model, scheme, and execution are a perfect cocktail of drukhari goodness. 10/10 would gladly grief with these bois

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Hot drat, Howling Griffons are rad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

how the gently caress?! what stencils?! What madness?!?!

I’ve started using mine more and it’s really not that scary.

dexefiend posted:

Hot drat, Howling Griffons are rad.

This already rules

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Not everyone.

Got some retributor armour and reikland fleshshade gloss on this guy. Just noticed I missed the tips of his loincloth tassles, but I got tomorrow to get at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Airbrushes, you say?