Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kastivich posted:

A one way flight from DC to RDU can be had for less than $100.

All I was saying is that greyhound is terrible and I won't take one for any reason again, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm not really strapped, but I really don't have time to go try something out several states away. I've got one more night to sleep on it - if I wake up in a cold sweat, I'll get the Yaris and leave the thread alone, since that's a pretty un-hot hatch.

EDIT - I do appreciate the honesty, everybody. Not sarcastic.

After The War fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 16, 2018

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Real talk get a 2nd gen Scion XB. They can be found in manual have a Camry motor and a poo poo ton of space.

When my wife and I were looking for our first new car our requirements we very similar (except mtb bikes instead of music gear). We have a 2012 and it’s been stone cold reliable and you can comfortably sleep in the back with the seats down. I hated that I bought something so meh when we got it but money was tight and it’s grown on me significantly, we will probably never get rid of it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The xB isn't a terrible choice, they are dirt cheap

I once totaled one by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Coming down from Denver, Co when a car went off into the center median, sending a literal wave of gravel over the left lane going the opposite direction (me). The entire car was covered with dents, windshield destroyed, etc. Still drove it home to Phoenix.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 16, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
First gen xB's still look awesome.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I saw two GTI Rs in the last 12 hours. That was my hot hatch story, thanks for reading.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Golf R

and they're not really rare but ok

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Warbird posted:

I saw two GTI Rs in the last 12 hours. That was my hot hatch story, thanks for reading.

Did you give them the middle finger and rev your engines at them?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I saw a Type R irl last weekend and it looks as cartoonish as I imagined.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was hoping they'd drop in price on the used market quicker than they are (they aren't, at all)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A focus SVT 5 door is calling my name, Elephanthead, Elephanthead, yes I smell like vomit, love me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

I saw a Type R irl last weekend and it looks as cartoonish as I imagined.

I really can't get over the looks of them. So bad.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah this and the interior was 100% trash, the seat matetial was like a cheap pair of walmart gym shorts, the seats looked like some cheesy APC Racing crap from the early 2000's, and the radio has no volume knob.

Give me some leather or even alcantara recaros. And ditch the stupid plastic nonsense bodykit :(. Honda/acura used to be so cool and have such modest yet high level of quality.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meh. It is a functional car

Also, the seats are just Recaro Sportster CS, which are also in the Juke RS and Focus RS

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really shouldn't poo poo on it before I drive one - the focus RS interior wasnt too great but the car was amazing to drive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

Yeah this and the interior was 100% trash, the seat matetial was like a cheap pair of walmart gym shorts, the seats looked like some cheesy APC Racing crap from the early 2000's, and the radio has no volume knob.

Give me some leather or even alcantara recaros. And ditch the stupid plastic nonsense bodykit :(. Honda/acura used to be so cool and have such modest yet high level of quality.

I love mine to bits anyway.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Elephanthead posted:

A focus SVT 5 door is calling my name, Elephanthead, Elephanthead, yes I smell like vomit, love me.

Do it! I'm slowly bringing mine back to functional and not-hideous.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
My family had a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan and my friend puked in it when we were in 3rd grade. They held on to that drat thing until I was in college, and it smelled like puke the whole time. So basically unless you want to do an interior swap it'll always smell like that.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

After The War posted:

I'm not really strapped, but I really don't have time to go try something out several states away. I've got one more night to sleep on it - if I wake up in a cold sweat, I'll get the Yaris and leave the thread alone, since that's a pretty un-hot hatch.

There are a good number of Raleigh area AI goons who could check the car out for you. It's a fairly common thing in AI. If it checks out, fly down and drive it back. It's less than 5 hours.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Voltage posted:

I think you're somewhat missing the point of the car. It you want something more boring and 'luxury' there are plenty of options.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's also luxury but still exciting. It just costs twice as much.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

After The War posted:

Any follow up? Was thinking about it today since i ijinxed myself by saying my old GTI had been blissfully trouble free. Check engine light came on yesterday, so let the VW problem-solving games begin!

:negative:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is it wrong to change the down pipe on a new civic and try to burn out an led engine light?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PabloBOOM posted:

Any follow up? Was thinking about it today since i ijinxed myself by saying my old GTI had been blissfully trouble free. Check engine light came on yesterday, so let the VW problem-solving games begin!

Those guys never come back.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

PabloBOOM posted:

After careful consideration, I picked up that shovel and kept digging. The Rabbit was the only car I tested that I enjoyed driving, plus was the only one in the size and shape I wanted, so I will probably be going with that post-inspection. If it turns out to not be what I need in my life, I'll chalk it up as a mistake and move on to something else. :shrug:

I guess I could have made that more dramatic.

iwentdoodie posted:

Those guys never come back.

I had been planning on mostly lurking from here on, yes. Figure there's a lot to learn, one way or another.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm back in Club Hot Hatch after a 4 year hiatus.

FoST prices were too low to pass up, and we were putting too many miles in the Almost Free Civic that we're upkeeping for someone overseas.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Turns out it was just p0455: big EVAP leak that I'm hoping is from something goofy with the gas cap since I had just filled up the day before...

Code cleared and fingers crossed.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

After The War posted:

After careful consideration, I picked up that shovel and kept digging. The Rabbit was the only car I tested that I enjoyed driving, plus was the only one in the size and shape I wanted, so I will probably be going with that post-inspection. If it turns out to not be what I need in my life, I'll chalk it up as a mistake and move on to something else. :shrug:

I guess I could have made that more dramatic.

I had been planning on mostly lurking from here on, yes. Figure there's a lot to learn, one way or another.

Need pictures for a proper follow up! Sometimes the worst life choices make the best stories. (Sometimes much much later). So long as you acknowledge the risks and are leaning in- have at it!

If yours turns out to be a basket case you can have this one next spring :v: (assuming my engine doesn't decide to munch on some delicious 10 year old turbo pieces between now and then)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Any other FoST owners do a pedal mod to raise it a bit? It's too low to properly heel toe.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Wrar posted:

Any other FoST owners do a pedal mod to raise it a bit? It's too low to properly heel toe.

I've seen a few people get a 3D printed pedal spacer, FiST owners too. Can usually find one for about $20.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I put a pedal cover on my FiST that makes the pedal a little thicker and also decreases the pedal-brake distance and it’s perfect now. Really didn’t like mods that just raised the pedal. I’m not sure how things lay on the fost but if it’s similar I think a cover is the way to go.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

powderific posted:

I put a pedal cover on my FiST that makes the pedal a little thicker and also decreases the pedal-brake distance and it’s perfect now. Really didn’t like mods that just raised the pedal. I’m not sure how things lay on the fost but if it’s similar I think a cover is the way to go.

100% agree

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm considering picking up a new 2017 FiST. Orange with orange recaros, nav, black wheels (eh). With rebates applied, dealership won't budge from 21.4k OTD, and I'm really not sure if this is a good price, or if I should just cut them loose and keep an eye on the CPO market.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I just cut a piece of 3/8" aluminum from amazon with a sawzall and rough sanded the edges smooth and the front for texture. Then counter sunk some machine screws into it through the stock pedal. Was like $12 for my veloster.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Wrar posted:

Yeah. It took a little getting used to. I got one that had a side to side adjustment as well. I wanted metal. Just made me feel better.

Link

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Welp, I will look back fondly on my hot hatch days. Maybe I'll get another someday.

In the meantime, this beast should whet my appetite.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Very nice. :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you're going to be a traitor to the cause that's how you should go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

I just test drove one of these, they only had the auto but my god was it fast, almost too fast imo. I feel like i couldn't be trusted with one. I need to go drive an SS stick still.